mtbr member
    May 2016

Wheel build reasoning (a tad long)

I want a wheel set. I probably don't need it.

Those 2 things listed are what I keep bouncing back and forth with so I want to see your responses.

I have a Remedy 8 with stock Bontrager Duster Elite wheels (28 spoke).
    I ride aggressively and love speed through techy, rocky sections of trail as well as techy climbs.
    I do jump though I want to go bigger with confidence. Like many, I'm leery (read-> chicken) of doubles but working on it

So, I've been on this bike for roughly 1.5 years. No broken spokes and no truing has been necessary at all, so they are showing themselves pretty tough. I have no reason to complain about them.

What I'm looking at building:
    Spank Oozy Trail 350 27.5 rims 32H
    Project 321 hubs
    DT Comp 2.0/1.8 w brass nips

I don't know how much the bonty's weigh but I think the weight saved with the new setup will only be marginal(hopefully noticeable).
    What I will get is a wider inner width and way more poe plus the blingy color of my choice.

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I was contemplating the same thing earlier this year. Mine was stock rim on my Process 153 29 - WTB Stp with 29mm inner width F&R. Wanted a faster POE as the formula hub that came on my DL build was not great.

Finally built (through Fanatic) a set of DT Swiss (Ex471 rear and EX 511 front) with Hope Hub. Weight difference is negligible (Can't tell the difference - probably less than 100 grams of savings), but my bike feels very different with the new set. More solid is what i can describe it as, and with narrower in the rear, it seems to pedal / roll much easier (not the same rubber as before - Minion DHF). Also, my wider front (with WT minion) makes rolling over rock garden much easier and more confident.

Hope that helps.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    What are your current tire sizes and inner rim width?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    What are your current tire sizes and inner rim width?
    Currently I have 2.35 front and rear. DHR2 rear and E13TRSr front. I think the inner width is like 24mm. Not 100% sure of that but they are fairly narrow rims. Definitely not 30.

mbtr member
    They're not garbage, but they're not good either. Swapping to basically any nicer wheel is going to be an improvement, but it's not going to make a fundamental change to your riding experience.

The wheels you propose look like nice, functional wheels. Sweet. They're not going to make mountain biking more fun once you get over the novelty of them being different.

If i were you, if i could give my dusters to a friend and really upgrade his ride... i'd do it. Or if i was planning on mounting some super burly tires on one wheelset. Or could make a killing selling them. Or i'm consistently 2 seconds off that damn race winner. If they're just gonna hang on my wheel wall... meh, whatever. I'd just keep riding them.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbpete
    That looks like a nice setup. I'm sure you'll notice the wider rim and quicker hub engagement and sometimes a new set of wheels just encourages a person to ride more.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    If i were you, if i could give my dusters to a friend and really upgrade his ride... i'd do it. Or if i was planning on mounting some super burly tires on one wheelset. Or could make a killing selling them. Or i'm consistently 2 seconds off that damn race winner. If they're just gonna hang on my wheel wall... meh, whatever. I'd just keep riding them.
    The old wheels would probably end up on a budget SS build. I rode SS exclusively for a few years and miss it at times.

The trail 350's have good reviews and are pretty burly though a tad lighter at a reported 465 grams.

Hubs are the hardest to settle on. CK is basically bulletproof, DT essentially the same.
    Onyx has a tremendous following nowadays but I still don't dig the weight and unsure if I want another quiet/silent hub. I've always had really quiet hubs so wouldn't mind a change of pace.

What about spokes? I intend to use slightly heavier brass nipples but what are the thoughts on DT butted spokes (2.0/1.8) on a bike that I bash rock gardens with?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Wheels are a great place to spend some money upgrading your ride. I agree you will notice the higher engagement and wider rims, and probably really dig that aspect of the upgrade. The hubs will be lighter but out at the rim it will be similar to what you are on now.

You don't seem to be overly hard on wheels since it seems your old wheels are still in decent shape. Depending on how much you weigh I'd stick with 32h 3x wheels with brass nipples for the strongest/most reliable setup.

DT spokes are great and the butted Competition spokes are probably the most common spoke for a wheel build like yours.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

ZEN RIDER!
    I built, or I should say Dave the wheel builder built for me, a pair of project 321 hubs on Nextie 34mm inner/38mm od rims. I went with matching purple nipples because its all about the bling
    I couldn't be happier with them. The wide rims are great and a noticeable difference in the corners.
    The project 321 hubs are smooth & roll fast and although not completely silent the noise is very low(in the cold weather they make no noise). I like their engagement very much.
    I prefer them over the dt swiss and they blow away the hope's I had.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Those are my favorite rims and hubs you picked out, and double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes are great. The quiet option for the p321 is pretty darn quiet and the engagement is super tight. I'd expect the new wheels to be stiffer, stronger, quieter, much faster to engage, prettier and a tiny bit lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
    Those are my favorite rims and hubs you picked out, and double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes are great. The quiet option for the p321 is pretty darn quiet and the engagement is super tight. I'd expect the new wheels to be stiffer, stronger, quieter, much faster to engage, prettier and a tiny bit lighter.
    Everything I hope them to be except I'm leaning toward the loud version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    Everything I hope them to be except I'm leaning toward the loud version.
    Ha, I thought that I had read 'quiet' somewhere. Loud is supposed to be VERY LOUD. Haven't handled one though.