What would make a better winter tire. MK Protection or R Ron Evo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What would make a better winter tire. MK Protection or R Ron Evo?

I want to try both of these tires eventually but my current tires are in need of replacing ASAP.

I’m on an Epic 26” and running tubes for now… I’m in northern NJ and leaf cover means I’m hitting more stuff than normal. That’s why I ‘m leaning towards the MK protections…

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'd say go with...

the MK. The Rocket Ron is designed as a race tire and is a bit lighter in the contruction department. Both would likely do well in wet leaves, soft tread compounds and good angular edges on the tread blocks. But the protection feature of the MK should make them a bit more durable and a bit heavier as well. If the RR came in a snake skin version then it would be a toss up.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    I want to try both of these tires eventually but my current tires are in need of replacing ASAP.

I’m on an Epic 26” and running tubes for now… I’m in northern NJ and leaf cover means I’m hitting more stuff than normal. That’s why I ‘m leaning towards the MK protections…

Thanks!
    Of those two I would also pick the MK for basically the same reasons.

The Mountain King may not be my first pick as a winter tire, though. It could be OK but there are others that may be better depending on local conditions.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee

Thanks!
    I know the conditions well (grew up in Sparta, and did some mtb there a few winters ago), they are not too different from where I ride here in VA (though northern NJ is a lot more rocky). I run an MK 2.4 protection int he rear in the fall/winter and love it. Not a dedicated slop tire, but does pretty well considering it rolls decently. The Black Chili is really good on wet surfaces (like rock). Not so sure about running it the front. I tried it and it worked OK, but there are likely better options. When I was living and riding there a few winters ago, I had amazing luck in the leaves with the Conti survival pro, which looks, pulls, and rolls like a tractor tire, but the problem with those is that as soon as the leaves pack down, they are overkill unless things get pretty sloppy. I would look at something with more tread (than the MK) yet high volume for the front. The rolling resistance won't clobber you so much running it up front. I know narrower tires are a little better in the mud, but the issue I have in places like the northeast in the fall and winter is not knowing what I am rolling over, and the wider tires seem more forgiving.

This winter I am running a Rubber Queen Up front and a MK 2.4 Prot in the rear. I would likely choose the same were I back in north NJ. Last winter I ran A Big Betty GGC up front and really liked it. It does not do too hot in mud, but it was not a real issue for me in the front. However, the traction on wet surfaces is very good, and it is extremely forgiving about hitting loose, rocky terrain with little finesse, such as happens when it is covered in leaves. If the Rubber Queen (soon the be re-names Trail King, so I hear) does not blow my socks off this year I will get another BB next year for the front.

I find I run the same front tire year round, and change the back for summer/winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I know the conditions well (grew up in Sparta, and did some mtb there a few winters ago), they are not too different from where I ride here in VA (though northern NJ is a lot more rocky). I run an MK 2.4 protection int he rear in the fall/winter and love it. Not a dedicated slop tire, but does pretty well considering it rolls decently. The Black Chili is really good on wet surfaces (like rock). Not so sure about running it the front. I tried it and it worked OK, but there are likely better options. When I was living and riding there a few winters ago, I had amazing luck in the leaves with the Conti survival pro, which looks, pulls, and rolls like a tractor tire, but the problem with those is that as soon as the leaves pack down, they are overkill unless things get pretty sloppy. I would look at something with more tread (than the MK) yet high volume for the front. The rolling resistance won't clobber you so much running it up front. I know narrower tires are a little better in the mud, but the issue I have in places like the northeast in the fall and winter is not knowing what I am rolling over, and the wider tires seem more forgiving.

This winter I am running a Rubber Queen Up front and a MK 2.4 Prot in the rear. I would likely choose the same were I back in north NJ. Last winter I ran A Big Betty GGC up front and really liked it. It does not do too hot in mud, but it was not a real issue for me in the front. However, the traction on wet surfaces is very good, and it is extremely forgiving about hitting loose, rocky terrain with little finesse, such as happens when it is covered in leaves. If the Rubber Queen (soon the be re-names Trail King, so I hear) does not blow my socks off this year I will get another BB next year for the front.

I find I run the same front tire year round, and change the back for summer/winter.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm 15 mins from Sparta and ride Mahlon Dickerson all the time. Also Kittatinny.

I think to keep things simple I'm going to run the MK protections now with tubes and my Mavic Crossrides. When I upgrade to some kind of Stans rim in the spring I'll try the Rons tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a set of 2.2 MK protections on order. Since this tire has a rugged sidewall would it make sense to use a light tube? I need to get some new tubes anyway since my current tubes are too narrow.

Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0