mtbr member
    Dec 2018

What tire sizes should I be looking at for 27.5 with 23mm rims?

I think I want 2.5 tires but will this be ok? Running tubeless.

mtbr member
    It would work, but it certainly wouldn't be optimal.

I probably wouldn't go over 2.3" for that width.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    It would work, but it certainly wouldn't be optimal.

I probably wouldn't go over 2.3" for that width.
    How not ideal would it be? Lol... looks like it was originally specced with 2.3 tires on these rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    How not ideal would it be? Lol... looks like it was originally specced with 2.3 tires on these rims.
    That would depend on how hard and fast you corner, pressure, how much you weight, etc. The wider tire on a narrower rim tends to fold over easier.

I was briefly running 2.5 tires on 25 mm rims and it was okay, but it's a whole lot better with the new 30 mm rims I got. It feels much more stable and predictable.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some Maxxis 2.35 tires would work on that rim because their profile was designed to work with 19mm-25mm rims from yesteryear.
    But you have to keep the pressure high enough to avoid foldover and that instant lose of traction.
    Other more recent designs from Schwalbe, Bontrager, Specialized and newer Maxxis designs will do better on wider rims. The higher volume and more rounded tread profiles can use lower pressures on wider rims to wrinkle the sidewall(no foldover because of wider rim sidewall support) and give you a bigger footprint for a lot of traction and slower slide-out when you lose grip.
    You still need to figure out how heavy a sidewall you need. DH speeds and big jumps will need more pressure so a wider rim isn't as useful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Yesteryear haha. Its from 2016 so I guess its old. It has wtb sti23 rims and 2.3 Maxxis minion dhr 2 that are slightly leaking sealant from the treads... lol...

mtbr member
    What happens is you gain grip as tire width increases but also less sidewall support. At some point the tire gets too flimsy so you up the psi to prevent folding/squirming but then you've lost traction and negated the benefit of a wider tire. I think 2.3" is probably your best bet. Wider isn't always better. There are UCI DH World Cup racers running 2.3" wide tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks I will stick with 2.3. Now I just need to figure out which tires to get, but these might have a few rides in them, I dont know.

Land of the 230+
    I have 2.6 nobby nics on i24 rims on one of my bikes, and I dont hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. I dont ride the bike hard enough to accurately gauge what aspects of traction are lacking. Its primarily an xc hardtail only used on hardpack dry conditions. I will say that the 2.6 on i24 @ 19 psi is much much much less squirmy than 2.8 on i35 @ 16 psi was for me. I hated the 2.8s on i35, but love them on i45. Anyway, the tire doesnt try to roll off the rim around corners like I thought it would with 2.6/i24. That said, the profile is noticeably more round than I'm used to, so I'm sure its giving up a bit.

All that just to say that you *could*, and not that you *should*. Keep it in the 2.2 to 2.4 range and youll be happy. Push 2.5+ at your own peril. Tire pressure will probably play a big role in resisting rolling off the rim.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    Thanks I will stick with 2.3. Now I just need to figure out which tires to get, but these might have a few rides in them, I dont know.
    If it's a Maxxis 2.5 DHF it will be perfectly fine on a 23mm rim. I have one on a 19mm rim and zero problems. It even measures 2.45 inches wide which is surprising considering the narrow rim width. If it's a thinner tire then there could be some issues. Tire to rim ratio is not really that important if the tire casing is 2-ply DH.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.