Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,072

    What Schwalbe tire on the back? What am I missing?

    I abandoned Schwalbe years ago because of their terrible durability, but all the positive reviews of the new Addix rubber plus the rains coming to the PNWet found me putting a Magic Mary 29x2.35 on the front of my Ripmo. One ride reminded me how much I love that tire in the wet.

    What has me befuddled is what Schwalbe would have me put on the back. The Mary/Dampf combo is a classic, BUT the new Dampf is only offered in the Soft compound in the 2.35" size, which I'd expect to roll slow and wear quickly on the rear. They also don't offer an Apex casing in this size, so you're stuck with Snakeskin (hell no) or Supergravity (at 1200g a bit portly.)

    The Nobby Nic is only available in the Snakeskin in the 2.35 size.

    It seems like a Speedgrip rubber/Apex casing combo would make for a great, reasonably light, hard-wearing, fast-rolling rear tire, but they only offer this combo in 2.6", which is more tire than I prefer.

    Anyway, first world problems, but I'm curious what Schwalbe tires folks are running on the rear for aggressive riding? Is the Soft Apex rubber really durable enough to be worth considering?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    50
    Not a schwalbe fan here. But if anything speedgrib 2.25 nn on the rear is working fine with a soft 2.35 mm front.
    I liked the nn better than the mm.
    I can confirm addix durability is nothing like old rubber for durability. But Yeaa snakeskin. Plenty to me but next to no rocks here.
    Anyways. What the nn does is that it is fairly low weight. Fairly fast. Fantastic braking force vs rolling resistance. Good tracking and bite going up. To me a perfect tyre for the rear in muddy and loose stuff if you dont want to much weight and want some speed. Cornering is not stellar. But hey. You can't have it all. Depends how much you want to drag.
    Is the exo casings good enough?

  3. #3
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,040
    I have 380km on a rear HD2 2.35 soft compound with very little wear so far. Very happy with the wet weather grip up hear on Vancouver Island. 2.35 soft MM UP front.

    Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Yeah, obviously I don't NEED to put Schwalbe on the back to match the Mary up front. I'm mostly just confused because it doesn't seem like Schwalbe has bothered to make a tire that would make sense as a rear in aggressive riding. A Nic or Dampf with a tough casing (Apex ideally, or SG) but Speedgrip rubber seems like an obviously useful combination.

    Looking at other rear tires for PNW winter that tick the cornering grip/reasonably fast/reasonably tough/under 1000g boxes. E*Thirteen TRS+, Michelin Wild AM, and Bonty SE4 all under consideration...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have 380km on a rear HD2 2.35 soft compound with very little wear so far. Very happy with the wet weather grip up hear on Vancouver Island. 2.35 soft MM UP front.

    Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Curious if you're running the Snakeskin or SG casing on the back? Have they toughened up the Snakeskin at all? As of 3-4 years ago, I determined that Snakeskin was too wimpy for aggressive rear-tire use, but perhaps the new rubbers also translate to tougher sidewalls? I find Maxxis Exo to work fine FWIW.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    287
    I have a half worn MM on the back for winter, seems like a solid option and the extra rolling resistance will make me stronger. Will likely go SG HD for next summer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244
    I think you've found all the reasons why you shouldn't go Schwalbe for the rear.

    I have a current model HD on one of my bikes and it's great. But I wouldn't be comfortable with its casing on the rear, and I'm not gonna go Supergravity.

    So Maxxis it is. I've never managed to slice one of their Exo casings, and we have plenty of sharp rocks and little nasty tree stumps and all that kinda shit.

    I generally don't run their fronts because I've never ridden a Maxxis trail tire that felt tacky enough to me (though I sings the praises of their Maxx Grip), and I don't like the tread pattern of their bread and butter tires (DHF, DHR2). But for the rear? Maxxis is the bomb, especially for the weight.

  8. #8
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Curious if you're running the Snakeskin or SG casing on the back? Have they toughened up the Snakeskin at all? As of 3-4 years ago, I determined that Snakeskin was too wimpy for aggressive rear-tire use, but perhaps the new rubbers also translate to tougher sidewalls? I find Maxxis Exo to work fine FWIW.
    Snakeskin. We don't have that many pointy rocks and the worst offender was removes.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DrewBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    I think you've found all the reasons why you shouldn't go Schwalbe for the rear.

    I have a current model HD on one of my bikes and it's great. But I wouldn't be comfortable with its casing on the rear, and I'm not gonna go Supergravity.

    So Maxxis it is. I've never managed to slice one of their Exo casings, and we have plenty of sharp rocks and little nasty tree stumps and all that kinda shit.

    I generally don't run their fronts because I've never ridden a Maxxis trail tire that felt tacky enough to me (though I sings the praises of their Maxx Grip), and I don't like the tread pattern of their bread and butter tires (DHF, DHR2). But for the rear? Maxxis is the bomb, especially for the weight.
    All good points. I've run DHRs and Aggressors on the back of my bikes for a long time. I don't disagree on the MaxxTerra not being my fave up front though.

    TBH some of this is just wanting to try some different tires. Tires are certainly the best performance change bang-for-buck on the bike, it's always fun to get something different on there....hence my consideration of non-Maxxis stuff like Michelin and EThirteen, neither of which I've tried!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,605
    Hans Dampf, Addix soft has been a great tire so far.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Hans Dampf, Addix soft has been a great tire so far.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Same here. Run a Pepi's noodle though. Ride nothing but rocks.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    All good points. I've run DHRs and Aggressors on the back of my bikes for a long time. I don't disagree on the MaxxTerra not being my fave up front though.

    TBH some of this is just wanting to try some different tires. Tires are certainly the best performance change bang-for-buck on the bike, it's always fun to get something different on there....hence my consideration of non-Maxxis stuff like Michelin and EThirteen, neither of which I've tried!
    I just love tires. Imo tyres and tyre pressure is 80% of the technical experience so to speak.

    For me its selecting the tires. Then the wheel and bike to carry it.

    Its fantastic to try different tyres and i have 2 wheelset for both my ht and fs. And I am going to have tons of tires! Using tons of sealant.

    For me rekon Maxx terra 2.6 front on my ht in some new i30 rims made me love my ht instead of selling it. It's all personal. I think its good to try lots of tires on a wide range. Nothing beats rolling the stuff. I also think different tires sharpen your skills...or I like to think that.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    529
    Honestly, MM 2.35" Soft front and rear is a killer setup. I thought it would come with a massive drag penalty in the rear, but the Addix Soft compound seems to be better rolling than you'd think.

  14. #14
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,499
    Snakeskin Racing Ralph's on the back of everything in my stable (wifey's SS and hard tail; my two SS's, hard tail and FS plus a couple other spare rear wheels). I don't have any that are Addix and all of them have help up for >1,000 miles of mixed surface riding (dirt, paths, rocks, stairs, street and trails).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    4
    More then happy with 2.35 MagicMary Supergravity\soft in the front and 2.35 Hans Dampf Snakeskin\Trailstar in the back, spacial when its wet and muddy in the alps.

    Im curious about the DHF/DHR2 that many people love, but im quite sure i'll get another set of MM\HD, this time it will be Snakeskin\soft front\rear coz i dont really need the extra protection, so why not saving some weight..

Similar Threads

  1. Bar feed bags, what am I missing (or not missing)?
    By westin in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM
  2. Installing Schwalbe replacement studs in non-schwalbe tires
    By dbblackdiamond in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 03:23 PM
  3. $200 Schwalbe Tire Giveaway & Tire Survey
    By Spectre in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2015, 10:12 PM
  4. Schwalbe Noddy Nic 2.1 vs Schwalbe Smart Sam 2.1
    By phazer in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.