What happened to Maxxis EXO+- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

What happened to Maxxis EXO+

there were a bunch of demos shown and press releases last fall. The Maxxis rep I spoke to back in October told me the tires would be available in the next 30 days. But here we are 6 months later with no products. I was actually excited to try this casing because EXO just isnt enough for the trails in my area, not as a rear tire anyway. Their DD casing is great but damn, its heavy and stiff. Great for park but too much for trail. I was thinking EXO+ would be the perfect balance between the two. Anyone have any new info on this?

mtbr member
    I just bought 2 sets of Minion DHF 2.5WT/DHR 2.4WT EXO+ 27,5 from Backcountry (eBay sale) and WWCyclery. I wonít get a chance to mount for a few weeks but they are available and now in my garage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    they are available and now in my garage.
    good to know, thanks! Let us know your thoughts after you've had a chance to inspect and ride them

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yeah i just got a 2.4 dhr2 exo+ for the rear. i haven't mounted it yet tho. im waiting for the exo assegai
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    yeah i just got a 2.4 dhr2 exo+ for the rear. i haven't mounted it yet tho. im waiting for the exo assegai
    +1 on the exo assegai. I think Iíd love that tire but the dd casing is way too much for where I usually ride.

Al

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I just ordered a 2.6 dhf and dhr 2 from worldwide . Should be here next week. Going to pair up with some rimpact inserts

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anyone knows when the Assegai Exo+ will be available? I found it on two websites, after searching for the product code "TB00172400":

https://www.pbikestore.com/prodotto/...xterra-exo-tr/

https://www.lustyindustries.com/Prod...uct=TB00172400

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone with some impressions of exo+ yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Anyone with some impressions of exo+ yet?
    I have a 29x2.5 DHF and a 2.4 DHR2 in the rear. Only have one real ride on them but so far I like them. They have less squirm than the regular EXO. You can definitely tell the casing is stiffer. It's a new bike so a bit hard to make a direct comparison. I ran the same pressure as I ran on my Hightower LT with 2.4 DHR2 EXO front and rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I just installed 2.6 DHRII Exo+ 27.5.

Under 1000g's, rolls well, turns well, stops well. Didn't pop first run. Better than EXO and lighter than DD so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guylovesbike View Post
    Anyone knows when the Assegai Exo+ will be available? I found it on two websites, after searching for the product code "TB00172400":

https://www.pbikestore.com/prodotto/...xterra-exo-tr/

https://www.lustyindustries.com/Prod...uct=TB00172400
    World wide cyclery just posted pics today of

29.2.5 in exoplus and 27.5x2.5 in exo..

Tag said available for retail soon...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I have a 29x2.5 DHF and a 2.4 DHR2 in the rear. Only have one real ride on them but so far I like them. They have less squirm than the regular EXO. You can definitely tell the casing is stiffer. It's a new bike so a bit hard to make a direct comparison. I ran the same pressure as I ran on my Hightower LT with 2.4 DHR2 EXO front and rear.
    Do you feel like the dampening of the casing is ok? I find regular EXO to be a bit too light on damping, so I end up being pinged around on the trail.
    Instagram: "lubbduro"

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Maxxis - if your out there, give us the Rekon in Exo+

The Ikon 2.35 DD is cool'n'all, but its heavy at 995g. I think there are a lot of folks out there who would appreciate the tougher Exo+ casing in a fast rolling tire.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Maxxis - if your out there, give us the Rekon in Exo+
    They've already done that
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...YaAqjgEALw_wcB

Its also listed in their 2019 catalog

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Now they need to offer us the Aggressor in EXO+

Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    They've already done that
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...YaAqjgEALw_wcB

Its also listed in their 2019 catalog
    Bad ASS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubb1 View Post
    Do you feel like the dampening of the casing is ok? I find regular EXO to be a bit too light on damping, so I end up being pinged around on the trail.
    The tire definitely feels stiffer and planted. Hard to say if there's significantly more damping because it's a new bike.

mtbr member
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Now they need to offer us the Aggressor in EXO+
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    called and spoke to someone named Franklin at Maxxis today. According to him, the aggressor is not currently on the EXO+ roadmap but he didnt know of any other tires that were either. So maybe not the most knowledgeable source. told him to put in an official request to get the aggressor in EXO+ ASAP. who knows if that will do any good. Anyone have a good contact at Maxxis? If we send enough requests, I'm sure they'll make it happen.

mtbr member
    A heavily sideloaded landing warped the casing on my EXO Aggressor yesterday. I went with double down on the replacement. Iím glad thatís an option, but an EXO+ Aggressor would have been my first choice. Maxxis would sell a ton of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Guys, the reason the Aggressor likely won't be offered in Exo+ is because the weight difference between EXO and DD isn't enough to warrant it.

29X2.30 58-622 120 FOLDABLE 1,115 DUAL 60 TR/DD
    29X2.30 58-622 60 FOLDABLE 900 DUAL 60 EXO/TR

29X2.50WT 63-622 120 FOLDABLE 1,185 DUAL 50 TR/DD
    29X2.50WT 63-622 60 FOLDABLE 980 DUAL 50 EXO/TR

There is only about a 200g difference between EXO and DD casings on the 29" Aggressor.

By comparison - the Exo+ casing adds about 110g over a EXO casing Rekon 2.6.On the DHRII 2.5WT, it only adds 80g.

However, the difference between EXO and DD casing weight for the DHF, DHRII, and some of the other popular tires is more considerably, in some cases nearly 300g, so adding 80g to the EXO casing is totally worth it to get far better protection.

If you were looking at a lineup of $70 tires, and the EXO was 900g, the Exo+ was 1000g, and the DD was 1100g, I'd imagine that most people would just go for the DD tire.

There is another thing at play here too - they are updating the lineup to add more 2.6WT sizes. So older, more popular "normal" sized tires are getting the EXO+ casing as well as getting a new 2.6WT size.

The Aggressor, being fairly new (the 2.5WT is less than a year old) probably got some casing improvements that contributed to its relatively light 1100g DD casing option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pheller - I was looking over the Maxxis 2019 catalog yesterday and also noticed how heavy the agressor EXO is and close it is in weight to the DD. However, I would argue that the DD is just too stiff for trail riding and the EXO+ should be more compliant while offering similar protection to DD. So the weight savings wont be huge but the ride it offers should be much different. I even considered ordering the DD just because I like it so much on my park bike but I just couldnt swallow a 2.6 pound tire on the back of my trail bike. So instead I opted to try out the new 29x2.6 Rekon EXO+. Its actually lighter than the 2.5 aggressor EXO which is crazy. Fingers crossed. Personally I think its going to be a little too round and the side knobs a little too short but I cant think of anything else I want to try at the moment. And if it gets me by till the agressor is available in EXO+ then fine.

Has anyone tried teh Assagai in EXO or EXO+ yet? I'm curious to know how it rolls

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering an e13 semi-slick over an Aggressor because the weight and durability issues the Aggressor has. I know it's a different category of tire but I think the e13 might have enough bite in the center tread... plus being a lighter tire with a tougher casing than the EXO Aggressor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    jeremy3320 - I had good experiences with e1s's first generation of TRS tires. Not sure what they're thinking with the latest casings but I was interested in that tire as well. Just enough center knobs for my terrain

Perpetual Hack
    I just mounted a 60 tpi Exo 2c 2.4 Rekon (rear) and a 120 tpi Exo+ 3C 2.4 DHRII (front)

The unmounted 120tpi Exo+ felt quite similar to the 60 tpi. Exo+ is thicker / heavier in the sidewall but not by a huge amount. Definitely closer to a 60tpi Exo than a DD at least by hand feel. However I have no idea on how they would all fair side by side for cut resistance.

I have not ridden them in anger yet, new bike, so only quick shakedown runs to setup brakes, gears and to make sure nothing fell off.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium