mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Whatís on my side walls?

Itís on both sidewalls of my front tire. By touch, it seems it might be a slightly oily substance but hard to tell as it doesnít exactly feel wet. Itís not on my rear tire. I have a 2019 Stumpjumper and running tubeless. Is it sealant? If so, how is it getting there and why only on the front? Is it oil being blown out from the fork?

-029e3a53-398b-4e36-af38-fa84edcba44d.jpg
    -ecacf006-1342-4bb7-9670-130fc328b45b.jpg
    Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Are the front/rear tires the same model? If not, it could be sealant weeping through tiny sidewall holes on one vs the other (or the rear tire sealant has dried up?). You can take front off, clean it and lay flat, squirt with soapy water and see if that reveals anything. I've seen this on some tires but the leaks are so small they show up as little foam dots all over the sidewalls vs obvious bubbles. They were inconsequential and tire would still hold air fine. If it's the fork, you should see signs of oil from the seal area.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    If it rinses off with water, it's propylene glycol from the sealant. It's very common to see this and some brands and models exhibit it more than others. Also, through use and abrasion, the sidewalls will develop porosity so will show this more. As long as the tire is holding air, it's OK. You may need to add sealant a little more frequently.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The tire is a Specialized Butcher Grid, 7 months old with about 500 miles of mostly smooth dirt riding. The splotches are along the entire sidewall of the tire and on both sides. The rear tire is a Purgatory and doesnít have the same issue. Weird that the sealant would weep out of the tire, but it holds air so Iím glad I may not need to worry about it. Iíll try rinsing it with water tomorrow.

Never trust a fart
    Even if you rinse, it will reappear. Just ride and keep an eye on your sealant levels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stan's sealant?

mtbr member
    Welcome to the 21st century.....
    Tread killer....

mtbr member
    I had a tire seep through the sidewalls in diagonal lines following the sidewall threads. It did this after a ride where my tire pressure was a little too low so the tire was wrinkling much more than normal. I added some fresh stans sealant, shook well, put wheel in a bucket on its side, repeated this for a week, once a day and it did not help much. Some slight foaming on the sideswalls, but mostly, a clear fluid leaked out. Tire stills holds pressure for several days, so I just ride it.

I've been seeing this on more and more tires. Have sidewalls been getting too thin? Did stans change the forumla? Should I try a different sealant? orange seal maybe?

mtbr member
    Around here the sidewalls are the weak link and first thing to go on cheap or lightweight tires due to all the rock gardens. I've been using Maxxis tires with 'EXO' sidewalls the last couple of years. They last much longer and I do not see the sidewall weepage that previous tires had. They also have great traction in wet/muddy conditions. Some don't like the extra weight of 'beefier' tires...it's a trade-off.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I've been using Maxxis tires with 'EXO' sidewalls the last couple of years. They last much longer and I do not see the sidewall weepage that previous tires had. They also have great traction in wet/muddy conditions. Some don't like the extra weight of 'beefier' tires...it's a trade-off.
    EXO tire seepage

-img_2357.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Definitely seepage from your tubeless sealant.

Its' going to happen. Don't worry about it.

My Specialized Control casing bled like crazy. The Grid casing is much better.

Maxxis tires on the new bike, tubeless. Haven't seen seepage in the week I've owned it. But have seen it on another Maxxis tire before.

Although tubeless ready tires are better than non tubeless ready, they are still porus enough to seep. I was surprised that after 2 years my control casing was still seeping. One would think the amount of sealant in 2 years would have sealed the pores. Nope.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    FWIW Iíve experienced this more on Specialized tires than others. Didnít seem to affect performance though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I bet it's sweet if you lick it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I bet it's sweet if you lick it.
    I always wondered if anyone's pet has tried this and gotten sick.

since 4/10/2009
    Propylene glycol is the "non toxic" antifreeze. Ethylene glycol is the stuff that will kill pets. Interestingly enough, grain alcohol is the treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning, but it has to be administered pretty soon afterwards.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the same result with Specialized tires. I find their sidewalls just don't hold up to my New England rocky riding. They start to leak in no time in a few months, the sidewalls are threadbare and the tires need replacement while the tread is still very good. Boooo.