wet roots and XC race...- Mtbr.com
    DcN

Jul 2004

New question here. Tire Selection Help...

Hi, I am entering an XC(Some DH) race in 2 weeks and it is expected to rain. Yesterday I went on some of my favourite trails (on the escartment) which have alot of roots. Usually in dry conditions I have lots of grip and i have no problems with roots, logs etc. But yesterday it had just rained and I was sliding all over the place, both my front tire and my rear were washing out. I have Kenda Kenetics 2.35 front and rear, which are great in mudd, but dont have grip on loose gravel or wet roots. I have never entered this race before and they don't give out maps before the race start, so I don't know if there'll be alot of roots or just mudd. My friend is taking me out on a run(he entered last yr) and then I will see what the conditions are like. So I guess i'm asking, what is a good tire (preferablely 2.35) that will give me grip in mudd, wet roots and loose gravel, for under $40cdn.

Thanks in advance,
    DcN
    Last edited by DcN; 09-18-2004 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What about IRC mythos 2.1 good tyre for all conditions another tyre HUTCHINSON mosquito very good in mud!!!

May 2004

Try one of these...

I live and ride in your area ?Southern Ontario I take it. I ride along the escarpment all the time and would highly recommend the GEAX Sturdy's 2.25 (they are big tires, bigger than the kinetics 2.35, make sure they fit your frame). They are $50 CDN and are worth it. Although I've never tried them, the GEAX Blades 2.25 are more suited to wet, muddy conditions and have really good reviews (check the product review section...).
    As for the IRC Mythos, personally I would stay away from them. They did not inspire confidence for me at least.

DcN

Jul 2004
    I was on the trails by Brock University, have you tryed the GEAX Sturdy's 2.25 on wet roots or loose gravel? Please respond ASAP

DcN

Jul 2004
    i just read the reviews on the Geax Blade 225, they look great, where do you buy your tires, i am looking around downtown st.catharines, probably liberty cycle, or rapid city cycle.

May 2004

Geax

I have only tried them a couple of times on the wet stuff and they have been pretty good.
    They shed mud easily and are decent on wet roots. Like I said, you will slide on any tire but these were not too bad compared to others I've tried. There are probably better tires for that but these are great all-around tires.
    I live near Dundas On., and I know Freewheel Cycle in Dundas sells the Blades but I don't know if they have the 2.25's (for sure the 2.1's). That's where I bought the Sturdy's. Call
    all them to see if they're in stock. Sorry but I don't know any LBS around your area...

Good luck...