Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just got an Insider wheelset for my YT Jeffsy; unfortunately no rides yet because of weather but 1st impressions were great. The carbon looks flawless and the glossy coating makes the rims really pop. The graphics are a bit too subdued for my taste but that's not necessary a bad thing. I put one extra strip of rim tape to make sure my used tires would seal up with just a floor pump and it worked like a charm. Can't wait to get a ride in! I do have a set of Ibis carbon wheels on my other bike, so it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

mtbr member
    Ordering a set of Insider 29s w 240s/28h/CX-Ray. Does anyone know if straight pull is an option and are your insiders weighing in at claimed advertised weight? Do they come taped w valves? Supposedly the setup Iím ordering should be 1481 gms. this set will go on my Scott Spark RC.
    2018 Scott Spark RC TEAM Edition
    2016 Cannondale Slate Force 1

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    Ordering a set of Insider 29s w 240s/28h/CX-Ray. Does anyone know if straight pull is an option and are your insiders weighing in at claimed advertised weight? Do they come taped w valves? Supposedly the setup Iím ordering should be 1481 gms. this set will go on my Scott Spark RC.
    I just got a set of these exact wheels. I think they weighed a little more than what I was expecting but they werenít weighed before the tires were mounted (2.3 DHF/DHR2).

Red spoke nipples. I didnít know thatís what they were coming with, but they look nice, in a very subdued bling kinda way. I got the stealth decals. Maybe a little too stealth.

First ride was tonight. I went with my daughter. Gentle terrain, and gentle pace. No complaints but I have not rocked them yet. I will report back after I have done a solo blast, likely tomorrow after work.

Call WAO with any questions. Those guys were sooooo patient with me. They are true enthusiasts and seem to really enjoy fielding questions and providing assistance. It was a totally positive purchase experience for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got my first ride on the Insider wheelset and they're awesome! These replaced an aluminum OE wheelset that are also 27mm internal width, and the difference was night and day. The bike turns in so much sharper and feels so responsive, plus they also feel the bike feel smoother. I definitely feels like a lot less effort to spin up the wheels and they don't lose momentum as fast as my old wheels.

mtbr member
    I've got 1 week and 4 days counting before my wheels should arrive. I asked for straight spoke/hubs and WR1 does not carry those- for anyone interested in that. I'll post the actual weight on these when they come in for future reference.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I've got 1 week and 4 days counting before my wheels should arrive. I asked for straight spoke/hubs and WR1 does not carry those- for anyone interested in that. I'll post the actual weight on these when they come in for future reference.
    So Insiders with 240s and CX-Rays? If so, that is identical to mine. Not that it matters much but did they mention spoke nipple colour? I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived with red spoke nipples. Very subtle bling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    So Insiders with 240s and CX-Rays? If so, that is identical to mine. Not that it matters much but did they mention spoke nipple colour? I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived with red spoke nipples. Very subtle bling.
    Yep 240s and CX-Rays. Did you upgrade your ratchet? I decided to go w the standard 18t because I like how quiet it is. I had the 56t in the past it was a little loud for my taste. Good call on the nipple color. I didn't specify so I just shot an e-mail to where I'm buying them from and requested red. Now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't specify spoke color. I hope standard default is black for the spokes.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Yep 240s and CX-Rays. Did you upgrade your ratchet? I decided to go w the standard 18t because I like how quiet it is. I had the 56t in the past it was a little loud for my taste. Good call on the nipple color. I didn't specify so I just shot an e-mail to where I'm buying them from and requested red. Now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't specify spoke color. I hope standard default is black for the spokes.
    I stuck with 18. This is my fourth set of standard 240s. Loved them all. I didnít want to mess with perfection.

Spokes on mine are flat black.

I was intending to post some pics. Just at the movies. I will take a few pics when I get home or tomorrow morning and will post them.

I also went with the stealth decals. They may be a little too stealth but all good.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Ok. Just got back from Ant-Man and the Wasp. Hilarious.

Anyway, apologies 1-bar for the absolute horrific quality of these pics but it's pitch black here. I wanted to get you some pics of the red spoke nipples ASAP, in case you didn't like them. They don't match the red 240 sticker on the hub, but they match the red anodized parts on my fork and shock.

I like the red spoke nipples. Without them, that wheelset would be pretty ho-hum to my eye. I should have got a different decal though...

Anyway, here they are. Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to get you some more pics tomorrow as well, in the sun.

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_4f.jpg

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_50.jpg

Next decision...go nuts with a sharpie (oil based) or or not to those offensive Maxxis logos...

PS - 1-bar - why not call Dustin directly at WAO? Dude's past Canadian DH champ. He's a beast on a bike and 10 out of 10 to deal with. The guy is totally solid. He will patiently answer any and all questions you have. Totally positive purchase experience for me dealing directly with him.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Sorry. I have more photos now but this site, as usual, won't let me upload them.

mtbr member
    The red nipples look good! Did you spec your wheels as 32h? Also, are you rocking a SB100?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The red nipples look good! Did you spec your wheels as 32h? Also, are you rocking a SB100?
    They only offered 28H for the 240 as far as I know. Rockin a Norco Sight. Just got back from a solid ride.

mtbr member
    Interested in hearing more reviews about the Insider wheels.

Been looking at NOX, Carbonfan, I9, FSE wheels.....

Looking for a 27-30mm ID carbon wheelset that comes in at 1500 grams to replace my stock aluminum 2000gr wheels on Intense Primer.

I'm not a big fan of noisy hubs, have DT and Chris King on other bikes.

I dig the We Are One company culture and warranty is killer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post

It's a shame they don't make a road rim.
    I'm a fan. Would buy another set of WAO. Would consider ordering a complete from them as well.
    I have Agent 29s on Onyx BOOST Centerlock w/Sapim CX-Ray and DT ProLock Brass nipples.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Just got my first legit ride in today on the Insiders. I am not a wheel guy so I donít really know what to say. They were light, and they were stiff, but not retina-detaching like my Enves. My bike felt motorized on the ups, and I railed, mobbed and danced through the downs. The best thing? How much raw energy I had for the downs after climbing for over an hour straight. I manhandled my bike on the downs like it was a rag doll. Was it the wheelset? I donít know. After a single ride, I swapped the E*13 wheelset and tires that came on my new bike, for this wheelset and a 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo. If I am a betting man, Iíd say itís both the wheelset and the tires that resulted in the pure raw magic that I experienced today. I was getting very worried about all the decisions I made to get to where I am but yeah. This bike, and this wheelset rule. Kick. Total. Ass. Thankfully. I am now finally done with all the new bike screwing around. For this season at least...

PS - I dropped 1.7 pounds swapping out the E*13/240 TRS wheelset and E*13 tires. Those tires almost sucked the soul from me. Thatís 1.7 pounds...with a DHF/DHR2 combo replacing them. So still pretty beefy rubber. 1.7 POUNDS!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    How wide do your 2.3ís measure on the Insiders? I too took delivery on a set of Insiders a couple weeks ago, also 28h 240ís with CX-Rayís. Mounted them on my Capra with a 2.6 DHF on front and a 2.6 Rekon on rear.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    How wide do your 2.3ís measure on the Insiders? I too took delivery on a set of Insiders a couple weeks ago, also 28h 240ís with CX-Rayís. Mounted them on my Capra with a 2.6 DHF on front and a 2.6 Rekon on rear.
    I don't have callipers. But they are one fk of a lot wider than my 2.35s that were on my 27.5 24 id Enves. I know because I have to jam the rear wheel into this...

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_59.jpg

I appreciate that that info is about as useless as it can be, but that's all I got.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Interested in hearing more reviews about the Insider wheels.

Been looking at NOX, Carbonfan, I9, FSE wheels.....

Looking for a 27-30mm ID carbon wheelset that comes in at 1500 grams to replace my stock aluminum 2000gr wheels on Intense Primer.

I'm not a big fan of noisy hubs, have DT and Chris King on other bikes.

I got mine with the DT 350 56T and they're the quietest hubs I've owned so far. I have Hope on another bike and the usual Novatec, Shimano, Sram on past bikes and these don't make a sound compare to those.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the pic, they don't look like pizza cutters like I thought they would. I might try 2.3's next time around, this 2.6 DHF on the front is quite heavy and the 2.6 Rekon on the back doesn't roll as fast as I'd hoped.

I also find my 54t setup very quiet, but that's coming off of the noisy TRS+ hubs, and my other bike has i9's which are stupid loud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreOne_Composites View Post
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to introduce our company to the wheel forum. We are a Canadian carbon rim manufacturer and would like to open the dialogue for any of our products, offer any insight to carbon rim manufacturing and help in any way possible with any questions what so ever.

We hand lay all of our rims and build all of our wheels right here in Kamloops BC Canada. And ship directly to the consumer and through our dealer network.

You all have a great forum going here and we would enjoy being a part of the descussion.

Cheers
    Perfect timing. I was pointed over to this thread by another mtbr member.
    I have a new Scott Genius and would like to upgrade the wheels. What do you recommend?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedkstr View Post
    Perfect timing. I was pointed over to this thread by another mtbr member.
    I have a new Scott Genius and would like to upgrade the wheels. What do you recommend?
    Maybe just call them. You will talk to the owner, Dustin. He is a past Canadian DH champion and owner of WAO. I understand he was one of the individuals who started NOBL. He is a very good guy who will patiently address all your questions and concerns. In the end, I suspect the exact wheelset I bought will be at or near the top of your best options. Scroll up a little bit...

mtbr member
    Interesting comment on quite DT 350 with 56T would the 240 be the same way. I thought I read somewhere that it was loud and noisy.

Was on a ride last night and a guy in front of me had the loudest hub I ever heard, we were going through some switchbacks -typical pedal, no pedal, brakes then pedal and the sound was so annoying, like too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I got mine with the DT 350 56T and they're the quietest hubs I've owned so far. I have Hope on another bike and the usual Novatec, Shimano, Sram on past bikes and these don't make a sound compare to those.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting comment on quite DT 350 with 56T would the 240 be the same way. I thought I read somewhere that it was loud and noisy.

Was on a ride last night and a guy in front of me had the loudest hub I ever heard, we were going through some switchbacks -typical pedal, no pedal, brakes then pedal and the sound was so annoying, like too loud.
    DT 350 does make some noise but it doesn't sound like a bee hive. If you guys like quiet hubs you should check out Project 321 silent pawls. I have them on my Agent's and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Writing from Down Under - pretty interested in the Insiders for my 2018 Instinct A70 so great to read some reviews. Does anyone know if there's a rider weight limit with these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Writing from Down Under - pretty interested in the Insiders for my 2018 Instinct A70 so great to read some reviews. Does anyone know if there's a rider weight limit with these?
    Didn't see a limit listed for these. They're pretty burly and I'm 240lbs and have no concerns about these breaking under me. I'd contact the manufacturer if you really want to be sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks mate, that's great to know as i am 225 - am in conversation with them right now.

mtbr member

Insider 29 wheels

I've been rocking my WR1C wheels for the past few months. I'm impressed with the durability, looks and performance. These are with the Insiders w Sapim X-ray spokes in 28h. We Are One Composites-img_5844-2.jpg
    We Are One Composites-img_5843-2.jpg

mtbr member
    When will your product w/a 35mm +/- id premier?

Long Live the Gorn!
    Whats the proper tape width for Agent. Need to replace mine. Also is there a preferred brand?

BTW I have nearly a year of fairly rugged riding on my WAOs Agents dry, wet, rocky etc... spectacular, if I get a chance I will write an (amateur) long term review.

When I get out this AM... gonna go banging down some of this... as usual worse than it looks

We Are One Composites-img_20171223_105907.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I find that the Industry Nine tape designed for their wider rims is the best for my Agents. Gorilla and other thicker tape seem to sort of ruin the super easy installs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Has anyone else been trying without success to reach WR1? I ordered my second set of Agents and sent a couple post-purchase questions and havenít gotten a response by email or Facebook. Not the end of the world, just curious.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    Has anyone else been trying without success to reach WR1? I ordered my second set of Agents and sent a couple post-purchase questions and havenít gotten a response by email or Facebook. Not the end of the world, just curious.
    I've had no problem. They got right back to me (e-mail).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Same thing here. I placed an order two weeks ago and Dustin was super quick to respond initially, then since late last week I haven't gotten a response back to my last 2 emails, I'm going to give them a call when they open this AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mustíve been some show or other delay. Theyíre back to their usual first-rate awesomeness. Been firing some emails back and forth about my order and all is well.

mtbr member
    hi,

i've been thinking about upgrading from my race face arc 27 (27mm internal width) aluminum rims with dt swiss 350 hubs to the we are one agents.

i have no experience with carbon rims at all.

before i spend 1500 bucks, can anyone who has done this type of upgrade give me some insight on the benefits and if it really makes a valid difference compared to, let's say, an upgrade from a 150mm pike to a 36 fox?

i have a 2017 bronson c,

thanks
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post
    hi,

i've been thinking about upgrading from my race face arc 27 (27mm internal width) aluminum rims with dt swiss 350 hubs to the we are one agents.

i have no experience with carbon rims at all.

before i spend 1500 bucks, can anyone who has done this type of upgrade give me some insight on the benefits and if it really makes a valid difference compared to, let's say, an upgrade from a 150mm pike to a 36 fox?

i have a 2017 bronson c,

thanks
    I actually had the Heist 30s a while back (ARC rims) as a backup set for my Enve M70s. The Enves were STIFF, great for smashing tough lines but not the most comfortable. ARCs are OK depending on how you build them but youíll definitely notice an increase in lateral stiffness/acceleration with carbon. Where We Are One really hits the sweet spot is in the combo of stiffness and ride comfort. I know Enve released a new line (after being left behind on the comfort front) but the Agent absolutely kills the M70HV in all around performance.

Going to top-notch Carbon wheels is more like putting a custom damper in your Pike rather than switching to a Fox 36. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you have the means I highly recommend picking some up. My Evil Insurgent is already rocking Agents and the choice was easy for my new build, a Yeti SB130. Although the Yeti is getting some Onyx hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    I actually had the Heist 30s a while back (ARC rims) as a backup set for my Enve M70s. The Enves were STIFF, great for smashing tough lines but not the most comfortable. ARCs are OK depending on how you build them but youíll definitely notice an increase in lateral stiffness/acceleration with carbon. Where We Are One really hits the sweet spot is in the combo of stiffness and ride comfort. I know Enve released a new line (after being left behind on the comfort front) but the Agent absolutely kills the M70HV in all around performance.

Going to top-notch Carbon wheels is more like putting a custom damper in your Pike rather than switching to a Fox 36. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you have the means I highly recommend picking some up. My Evil Insurgent is already rocking Agents and the choice was easy for my new build, a Yeti SB130. Although the Yeti is getting some Onyx hubs.
    thank you DrPete.

did you notice any difference on tech climbs or climbs in general with the carbon rims? i don't know if there is a weight difference between the two wheelsets, but i imagine the general feel of the Agents would be beneficial uphill.

btw, i'm looking at the Agents with dt swiss 350 hubs with the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade. i now have 36.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post
    thank you DrPete.

did you notice any difference on tech climbs or climbs in general with the carbon rims? i don't know if there is a weight difference between the two wheelsets, but i imagine the general feel of the Agents would be beneficial uphill.

btw, i'm looking at the Agents with dt swiss 350 hubs with the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade. i now have 36.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Iíll be honest, dropping the weight didnít cause the sky to open up and shine a light from heaven on my climbs but where I did notice a difference was the surefootedness on the punchy climbs and tech stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Running a set of XM481/DT350s on my bike right now...i think the weight is right around 1900 grams for the setup.

I am a bigger guy, about 240lbs fully geared up....dont necessarily want to go super light weight...i want strong and sturdy and stiff. But i would figure a good carbon wheelset would also be lighter than my OEM setup....what do you all recommend here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    Running a set of XM481/DT350s on my bike right now...i think the weight is right around 1900 grams for the setup.

I am a bigger guy, about 240lbs fully geared up....dont necessarily want to go super light weight...i want strong and sturdy and stiff. But i would figure a good carbon wheelset would also be lighter than my OEM setup....what do you all recommend here?
    Agents, all day long. Iím the same weight as you on my heaviest days and my Agents have just shrugged off everything. Rock gardens, cased jumps, you name it. They are just totally point and shoot, stiff in the right ways but compliant where they need to be. Best wheels Iíve ever owned, and that includes wheels like I9 Enduro 305 and Enve M70HV. Pick your favorite hubs and enjoy. You wonít regret it. Iím building up a 29er and thought briefly about trying SC Reserves before coming back for a second set. I9 hubs for the 27.5s, Onyx for the new 29ers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Agent 29 w/240s and CX-Ray spokes are claimed @1631g.

I'm ~165-170lbs and use Agent 29s. Weight isn't a concern for myself as I run burly tyres and the bike is also a beast. Can't say I've ever weighed my bikes. Put performance, durability and enjoyment before all that. If I want my light bike with quick acceleration I take out the road bike.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123