We Are One Composites - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post
    Last we heard, WAO was going through some growing pains. Been a couple of months since the last post... anyone care to share their most recent experience?

I have interest in a set of Agents w/101's. Seems everyone is 100% happy with the product, just hoping the equally important customer service side of things is where it should be as well.

I did sent an email, but it's only been a day.
    I ordered my wheelset last monday and got them today, granting the hubs were on hand. Top notch customer service.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d564a4f...8750753290.mp4

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dustin did reach out to me (PM'd) after reading my post here. There is a new CS rep in place, but I have not heard back from her. Seems like a lot of work, but I'll continue with the process and share my experience as we move, hopefully, forward.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone know if there are any discount codes active right now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I can't speak to the Customer Service side of things, as I have never had any problems with my Agent wheelset. In fact, I have ran these on my Yeti 55 for 2 years now in Tahoe chunk and they are still good as new. Even survived a week in the Whistler Bike Park with no problems. Can't recommend them enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Is it worth waiting for the Black friday sale?

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by yt66 View Post
    I suppose it depends on how highly you value the experience of riding super sick wheels for three months of your finite lifespan. But keep in mind, itís three months youíll never get back and depending on where you live, you might have to wait to ride them
    The 18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I suppose it depends on how highly you value the experience of riding super sick wheels for three months of your finite lifespan. But keep in mind, itís three months youíll never get back and depending on where you live, you might have to wait to ride them
    Depends on how bad you need new wheels

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hitching a ride
    The WAO shills are all over the Pinkbike comments section. Santa Cruz releases a new wheel? WAO shills all over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    The WAO shills are all over the Pinkbike comments section. Santa Cruz releases a new wheel? WAO shills all over it.
    Shills?

mtbr member

We Are One Composites

Quote Originally Posted by yt66 View Post
    Dude, if money is an issue get something from the movement series. A killer carbon wheel set with a lifetime warranty for around 1K seems like the best deal out there. Btw, very happy with my Agents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robertson
    How much is the black friday sale?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    How much is the black friday sale?
    20% off. I bought a wheelset through the sale last year and was extremely happy with the experience. The 20% off allowed me to get agent wheels with onyx hubs at a slightly less eyebrow raising price. I've been very happy with the wheelset so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Good interview with Dustin from WAO. Even mentions they are beginning the process of producing a frame.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/we-are-one-composites/

Robertson
    About to order a wheelset. Poll for everyone here, should I go with gold hubs and gold spoke nipples or just gold hubs? Too matchy matchy with both? Anyone done something similar? Bike will be mostly black/grey with just a few small gold accents otherwise

high pivot witchcraft

We Are One Composites

About to order a wheelset. Poll for everyone here, should I go with gold hubs and gold spoke nipples or just gold hubs? Too matchy matchy with both? Anyone done something similar? Bike will be mostly black/grey with just a few small gold accents otherwise
    Dustin unilaterally decided to use red spoke nipples to match the red DT Swiss decals on my 240 hubs for my Insiders. Went with stealth WAO decals. Looks fantastic.

I asked for orange nipples and custom orange Kona decals on my Agents. Also look incredible.

I would go with the gold nipples fo sho. I am a big fan of custom colour nipples. Especially if you have Fox Factory kashima shit going on.

We Are One Composites-img_9369.jpg

We Are One Composites-img_9370.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ended up ordering a set of The Agents, after Dustin reached out to me. I placed my order on Friday and had my wheels the following Tuesday. I'm in Maine, so pretty impressive. Set came in at aprox. 1900 grams taped w/valves installed. The wheels appear to be top notch and represent an outstanding value for 1K.

OK, great product, but how was the customer service?

All-in-all, a pleasant buying experience. I only dealt with Dustin, so it's hard to comment on his support staff. I feel that by posting here (which may not be true), may have got his attention a little quicker. I guess time will tell as the company grows. Dustin seems like a stand up guy and was a joy to deal with. No buyers remorse here. I wish him all the best in the future!

high pivot witchcraft
    Just to add to my prior response, matching spoke nipples are a very subtle way to tie in everything. They also add a little bling to what can be an otherwise ho-hum wheelset. If they match your hub, they will still be versatile enough to move between bikes. Like I said - the effect is subtle but very effective.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Does anyone has time on both the Union and the Agent wheelset?
    Other than the Hub is there a big difference between the two models?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the exact same question which hasnít been fully answered. I have been looking for reviews of the Unionís and canít really find any. I contacted We Are One and Dustin responded. Hereís what I asked: ĒWhat are the differences between Union and Agent rims? I see the Unionís are slightly lighter, less radial stiffness and higher impact resistance but do they ride significantly different? I looked online and find quite a few reviews of the Agentís but cannot find a review of the Unions or a comparison of the two rims ridden side by side.

Dustinís Response: ďEverything you listed about the Union over the Agent is correct. There is a noticeable ride quality difference in my opinion and the numbers to support that on testing. We worked really hard at improving the Agent and wouldn't have proceeded with the Union had we only made marginal gains.Ē

I would also recommend listening to the Downtime Podcast with Dustin called ďReinventing the WheelĒ. It was quite informative on what their goals were with the newer rims.

I havenít made a final decision but I think I am going with the Agent with the 101 hubs mainly based on price. While Iím sure the new Union is better than the Agent the price difference right now is just too much for me. Also, I'm not a racer so I'm not sure the benefits of the Union would be all that apparent to me. I wonít be able to purchase for about another month however so I will continue to think about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone know if they are going to be doing a black Friday sale this year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrantorser View Post
    I guess we won't know for sure but they did -20% last year and the year before... 1500can$ for Insider on dt350 with cx-ray and 36t upgrade...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wisegofr View Post
    I have the exact same question which hasnít been fully answered. I have been looking for reviews of the Unionís and canít really find any. I contacted We Are One and Dustin responded. Hereís what I asked: ĒWhat are the differences between Union and Agent rims? I see the Unionís are slightly lighter, less radial stiffness and higher impact resistance but do they ride significantly different? I looked online and find quite a few reviews of the Agentís but cannot find a review of the Unions or a comparison of the two rims ridden side by side.

Dustinís Response: ďEverything you listed about the Union over the Agent is correct. There is a noticeable ride quality difference in my opinion and the numbers to support that on testing. We worked really hard at improving the Agent and wouldn't have proceeded with the Union had we only made marginal gains.Ē

I would also recommend listening to the Downtime Podcast with Dustin called ďReinventing the WheelĒ. It was quite informative on what their goals were with the newer rims.

I havenít made a final decision but I think I am going with the Agent with the 101 hubs mainly based on price. While Iím sure the new Union is better than the Agent the price difference right now is just too much for me. Also, I'm not a racer so I'm not sure the benefits of the Union would be all that apparent to me. I wonít be able to purchase for about another month however so I will continue to think about it.
    I had the same thought process and went with Agent because the value is incredible at that price. My first experience with I9 and love the hubs so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I guess we won't know for sure but they did -20% last year and the year before... 1500can$ for Insider on dt350 with cx-ray and 36t upgrade...
    Seems like a smart thing for them to do to generate some work for the off season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cachaulo View Post
    I had the same thought process and went with Agent because the value is incredible at that price. My first experience with I9 and love the hubs so far.

I9s and agents are hard to beat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd love to know this also. I think last year it started on the Friday before, so this coming Friday. Hopefully we'll know soon, I need to wrap up this build...

mtbr member
    I, too, am eagerly watching for a Black Friday sale.

I'm trying to decide between Roost i31AM wheels with DT350 hubs or the WAO Agents with I9 101 hubs. WAO is a buck cheaper at $999.

20% discount would probably make me click Add to Cart on WAO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    I, too, am eagerly watching for a Black Friday sale.

I'm trying to decide between Roost i31AM wheels with DT350 hubs or the WAO Agents with I9 101 hubs. WAO is a buck cheaper at $999.

20% discount would probably make me click Add to Cart on WAO.
    I'd be shocked if we saw 20% off on those, not that I'd complain...IMO the 101 hubs are a better bet, but then again, I9 is 15min from my house. I am waiting to see what they offer on those before getting anything, though.

I've got my drivetrain waiting for wheels, gotta get that Microspline before I finish it, but that limits options considerably.

I've also debated on just going Hydra S and upgrading the rims later.

mtbr member
    I9 Hydra hubs on Union wheels at $1625 minus 20% = $1300 compared to I9 101 hubs on Agent wheels at $999 would probably make me go for the Hydras & Unions. Plus you get the color choices with the Hydras.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone else having trouble breaking spokes with Agent rims?

29" rim. On drive side rear... ...spoke-to-nipple seems to have a bit of an angle that would stress the spoke at the junction, and that's where they're breaking.

Wheels are a couple months old and I've broken 3. I'm not particularly heavy...

mtbr member
    I have the Union's with I9 Hydras on my Ripmo since July. Overall, very satisfied with the wheelset and love the new I9 Hydra buzz. However, I'd be lying if I said I can tell any difference between the Unions and my Nox Farlows or the NOBL's I used to have. The only carbon wheels I've ever had where I can unequivocally say that I noticed a true difference in feel/ride quality are the Santa Cruz Reserve 37's...best wheels I've ever had.
    Carpe Diem!!

high pivot witchcraft
    My Insiders and Agents have been bullet proof although I notice with both sets that I can hear something rubbing on high speed, high G cornering. I believe itís the brake pads contacting the rotors but not sure.

Otherwise, no issues after a fair amount of beating on them.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    The only carbon wheels I've ever had where I can unequivocally say that I noticed a true difference in feel/ride quality are the Santa Cruz Reserve 37's...best wheels I've ever had.
    What do you mean by feel/ride quality?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Anyone had any experience with Revive 25mm IW wheelset? can't find any review about them.

Anyone with exact weight on the Revive or Faction on I9 Hydra hub?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey peeps, 15% off with the code 15OFF2019 for the rest of the week just went live on their Instagram.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    FYI: Black Friday 2019 Sale on now with 15% off. Code: 15OFF2019

https://www.instagram.com/weareonecomposites/?hl=en

mtbr member
    FYI: Black Friday 2019 Sale on now with 15% off. Code: 15OFF2019

https://www.instagram.com/weareonecomposites/?hl=en
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of Agents Friday. Got an email saying they could take up to 9 weeks to ship.

Edit: they were just being cautious with their delivery estimates. Mine shipped within two weeks.
    Last edited by jeremy3220; 12-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I'd call them. They're pretty great

mtbr member
    I'd call them. They're pretty great
    Yup. I PM'd them, then edited my post...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I ordered a set of Agents Friday. Got an email saying they could take up to 9 weeks to ship :/
    I'd also got an email saying about up to 9 weeks, but today my Unions have arrived!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Mine too! So. Sick. Hydras 100% worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    I'd also got an email saying about up to 9 weeks, but today my Unions have arrived!
    When did you order yours?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When did you order yours?
    11/27/2019 17:04, rims only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ordered a set of Agents Friday. Got an email saying they could take up to 9 weeks to ship :/
    I ordered Agents on 11/27 and received them on 12/10.
    In case anyone is interested:
    Ordered 27.5 Agents with 1/1 centerlock hubs with microspline using CX-Rays and weights for wheels came out to 940 grams rear and 792 grams front with rim tape and valves. Total weight: 1732 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a set of Convertís on my Rascal. I wanted Unionís, but lead time did not line up with an upcoming trip.

Definitely a beefy wheel for a 130mm bike, but they have a nice suppleness to them that is hard to explain. I thought they would be a little harsh, but that is not the case.

My only, very minor, issue it that they look like ABS pipes bent into rims. Not as nice visually as other options.

mtbr member
    I ordered Agents on 11/27 and received them on 12/10.
    In case anyone is interested:
    Ordered 27.5 Agents with 1/1 centerlock hubs with microspline using CX-Rays and weights for wheels came out to 940 grams rear and 792 grams front with rim tape and valves. Total weight: 1732 grams.
    Sounds like they sold a lot during the sale. I got mine with in a week of ordering last july.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    Mine are on the way. I guess they were just being really conservative with their ETA's.

mtbr member
    I placed an order for Agent wheels w/ I9 101 hubs a few days ago. Pretty stoked!

Does anyone know if they come with rim tape directly from their shop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    I placed an order for Agent wheels w/ I9 101 hubs a few days ago. Pretty stoked!

Mine came with rim tape and valves installed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post

Mine was taped and had stem

mtbr member
    Looks like the 101/Agent wheelsets are no longer available. Too bad, they were a really good value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    Looks like the 101/Agent wheelsets are no longer available. Too bad, they were a really good value.
    I figured it was too good to last. Premium carbon wheels made in Canada with I9 hubs for $1k ($850 on sale)...glad I got mine a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Totally agree, almost purchased a backup set when they were on sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am also glad I purchased when I did. Sad to see them go. Looks to me like the Revolution series on sale now all come with 101hubs as standard instead of the hydras.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I have the Union's with I9 Hydras on my Ripmo since July. Overall, very satisfied with the wheelset and love the new I9 Hydra buzz. However, I'd be lying if I said I can tell any difference between the Unions and my Nox Farlows or the NOBL's I used to have. The only carbon wheels I've ever had where I can unequivocally say that I noticed a true difference in feel/ride quality are the Santa Cruz Reserve 37's...best wheels I've ever had.
    What tires do you run on the Reserve 37ís? Have you experience with a 2.5 or 2.6 tire on the Reserve 37?

Formerly of Kent
    Just sent WAO an email asking them if a rim similar to what they are using in cooperation with I9 for the Ultralight 280C (370g, 28mm internal) will be available any time soon.

Will update this post with any responses.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Just sent WAO an email asking them if a rim similar to what they are using in cooperation with I9 for the Ultralight 280C (370g, 28mm internal) will be available any time soon.

Will update this post with any responses.
    Very interested, as I really like my Teo's from NOX, but would be psyched for a couple mm wider with a similar weight for the next build
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/a rack on the back

Formerly of Kent
    Here's the response from WAO:

Hi there *******,

Unfortunately we are unable to provide this rim for you as it is an I9 specific product. We offer our Faction rim which is a very similar rim to the UL280C if that is something you would be interested in. We don't have any immediate plans for a rim mimicking the UL at this moment as we have a couple other projects on the go right now but I would not write it off for something we produce in the future!

Hope you can understand,
    Josh
    Death from Below.

Robertson
    Have absolutely loved my WR1 Union wheelset, so much that I just placed an order for a trail wheelset of factions with CX Rays. Does anyone know if the prior adage of no Continental tires on WR1 rims still applies to the newer rim layups?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    For those with CX rays on your wheelsets, have any of you experienced the front wheel deflecting strangely off things? It could be a suspension thing, but im trying to think through other posibilities.

I've been having moments going through rock gardens, especially hitting rocks/chunk while cornering, when the front wheel seems to just deflect off those hits to one side pretty abruptly.
    I was thinking it could be a bladed spoke thing? I'm also running 28h. the wheel doesnt feel particularly flexy or strange cornering hard in smooth corners.

battle stag commander
    What rims? what kind of bike/ riding style? tires and tire inserts (if any)? Agents?

Formerly of Kent
    CX-Rays have the same cross sectional area as the Laser. They behave the exact same way. Steel is steel.

If you want a stiffer wheel, go with thicker spokes. This will also build a LESS DURABLE wheel.

Death from Below.

battle stag commander
    Steel is steel.
    Very true. Bladed spokes are not to blame specifically, but could be a tension issue, or even something as simple as the "wrong" tire for the rim, or maybe just overinflated. So many factors that could play together to cause this feeling. Ive had similar feelings with a factory reynolds carbon wheelset that I always thought was over tensioned, skittered around a bit. Not sure that I've found round spokes to make stiffer wheels in all ways, probably in vertical compliance, but not necessarily in torsional stiffness. I think I notice spoke tension, and even tension more than the kind of spokes, hard thing to know for sure.

My WR1s make noise as spokes detension/ over-tension when the rim deforms on a hard impact, but I havent had any undue jumpiness. Quite the opposite, I find them to be smoother than other carbon wheels ive owned, probably because it feels like they deform more readily.

mtbr member
    Faction vs Union. Is this a terrain, bike and riding style decision or simply a tire width decision?

Bike would be a 140/150mm 29er with 2.4-2.5 rear x 2.5-2.6 front. Couldn't imagine going any larger than this.

WR1 has the Faction as a "Trail" rim with tire sizes ranging from 2.1-2.5 and the Union as a "Trail/Enduro" rim with tires sizes ranging from 2.4-2.8. How much do these rims overlap with their intended purpose? I usually don't break stuff but I'm also not looking to push my luck with a lighter rim. Just looking to balance rim and tire width with intended use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Looking for a set of wheels for my hardtail, something not too harsh.

How compliant are the convert compared to other brands?

Would I be better buying aluminium, a set of I9 enduro s?

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether WAO will be coming out with any new rims in the near future?

I'd like a ~30mm, but not Union-heavy (495g) rim for the front of my XC bike. I'd take a Faction up front if it was the same weight but stretched to 30mm.

The Revive looks like the ticket for the rear.
    Death from Below.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether WAO will be coming out with any new rims in the near future?

I'd like a ~30mm, but not Union-heavy (495g) rim for the front of my XC bike. I'd take a Faction up front if it was the same weight but stretched to 30mm.

The Revive looks like the ticket for the rear.
    I donít have any inside info, but speculatively speaking, they just released a new line of rims last year which is no small feat for a company essentially handmaking these works of mtb art on a small scale while also actively pursuing R&D. Add to that the complications of COVID-19, an impact from what I hear is highly asymmetrical on the bike industryó that is to say, while bikes are selling like hot cakes to Johnny-q-public looking for cruisers or even higher end bikes for those that can afford to purchase something nicer since cheaper options arenít available, the high-end niche industries for aftermarket components arenít fairing as well given they appeal and are known to those in the know, are commodities, and disposable income isnít exactly at a high in most sectors. These problems are further exacerbated by all manner of supply chain issues.

Iím not saying WAO is subject to these factors, but Iíve talked to some other specialty high end component guys and that which Iíve described is certainly affecting a significant portion of that market. I guess what Iím saying is, youíre asking a lot given the current environment...
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I donít have any inside info, but speculatively speaking, they just released a new line of rims last year which is no small feat for a company essentially handmaking these works of mtb art on a small scale while also actively pursuing R&D. Add to that the complications of COVID-19, an impact from what I hear is highly asymmetrical on the bike industryó that is to say, while bikes are selling like hot cakes to Johnny-q-public looking for cruisers or even higher end bikes for those that can afford to purchase something nicer since cheaper options arenít available, the high-end niche industries for aftermarket components arenít fairing as well given they appeal and are known to those in the know, are commodities, and disposable income isnít exactly at a high in most sectors. These problems are further exacerbated by all manner of supply chain issues.

Iím not saying WAO is subject to these factors, but Iíve talked to some other specialty high end component guys and that which Iíve described is certainly affecting a significant portion of that market. I guess what Iím saying is, youíre asking a lot given the current environment...
    That was the politest response to a poorly thought out question in the history of MTBR. Thanks for letting me down softly.
    Death from Below.

Robertson
    Has anyone run continental tires with the newest edition (faction/union etc) of the WR1 wheels? I know with the Agent they recommended against it but wondering if this still runs true. Had great luck with Contis in the past

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy1 View Post
    For those with CX rays on your wheelsets, have any of you experienced the front wheel deflecting strangely off things? It could be a suspension thing, but im trying to think through other posibilities.

I've been having moments going through rock gardens, especially hitting rocks/chunk while cornering, when the front wheel seems to just deflect off those hits to one side pretty abruptly.
    I was thinking it could be a bladed spoke thing? I'm also running 28h. the wheel doesnt feel particularly flexy or strange cornering hard in smooth corners.
    I have a pair of Agents 32 hole with 1/1 hubs using CX Ray spokes and no inserts and I do feel some resonating wobble/deflection at times from the front wheel when going through rock gardens. It can be quite annoying and I never had this with my old much cheaper aluminum rims. I can get the same sensation when hitting the front wheel into the ground when off the bike. This does not occur much with more high speed rolling terrain. I also thought maybe it was coming from the front fork at first but after more diagnosis I believe it is the front wheel. Not sure if the CX Rays vs standard spokes make a difference. I just took the 2.6 Bontrager XR5 off and put on a 2.5 DHF exo+ to see if this changes the sensation. I will try this out later in the week.

Edit: I did a fork service and this seems to have fixed my issues. The fork was brand new but seems maybe there was some air or oil issue going on. The WAO wheels are rock solid now. Glad it was an easy fix but a little annoyed I had to do a fork service on a brand new fork.
    Last edited by wisegofr; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    How wide is the outer rim width and the bead width of the Union rims?
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    37 mm.
    30mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I also run agent 32 with Hadley hubs.. CXray spoke custom build by We are one..
    I had this feeling at first , year and a half ago. I lightened my compression and rebound dampening to compensate for the natural dampening? effect of the rim. I guess I can't explain the science but the wheels track better, are faster and let me spend less time braking and more focus on trail ahead.
    I over shot a turn and drifted out yesterday. my front tire left a 20 foot long mark in the trail before it let me go.

Formerly of Kent
    Another (dumb) question:

Anyone know of any retailer that has the Revive rim in stock?

Edit: I ended up emailing my contact at WAO. He said they had some Revive rims straight off the mold, not yet drilled.

Ordered. Should be here next week. Building up with either a 180/240 set or 240/240.
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    Update: WAO still haven't shipped my rims. Given that one of their guys said they had some ready to go, I'm kind of perplexed by this. It's been 16 days (their stated shipping timeline in the confirmation email I received when I purchased was 14) and I asked about them a couple days ago. A different WAO employee said they had another batch coming off the line as they've had increased demand for that rim.

It's frustrating being told one thing by one employee, and another thing by someone else. I get it, new company, ramping up production, growing pains. I hope it's not this hard to get a new rim down the line if I have to make a warranty claim.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Update: WAO still haven't shipped my rims. Given that one of their guys said they had some ready to go, I'm kind of perplexed by this. It's been 16 days (their stated shipping timeline in the confirmation email I received when I purchased was 14) and I asked about them a couple days ago. A different WAO employee said they had another batch coming off the line as they've had increased demand for that rim.

It's frustrating being told one thing by one employee, and another thing by someone else. I get it, new company, ramping up production, growing pains. I hope it's not this hard to get a new rim down the line if I have to make a warranty claim.
    Thatís a bummer. They do seem to have a really small crew, maybe even smaller at any given time with the COVID situation. I own two sets and am really pulling for them. Theyíre the kind of company I think we all want to support.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    Thatís a bummer. They do seem to have a really small crew, maybe even smaller at any given time with the COVID situation. I own two sets and am really pulling for them. Theyíre the kind of company I think we all want to support.
    Yeah, I'm not holding it against them. I understand that they are dealing with the current situation as best they can, while trying to uphold their obligations. I can't even imagine how hard it is trying to run a young, growing business at this time.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what's going on Le Duke, but I feel confident they will make it right. Like DrPete said, these are type of folks and company you want to support.

I have one set of Unions, and am ordering a set of Factions on Monday. I've spoken to Dustin and Josh both more than a few times, and they will always super considerate, patient with my questions, and beyond helpful. Also great to deal with when a few of the spokes on my Unions snapped.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough based on my experiences, so I sincerely hope they get you squared away!!!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I hope you get soon @Le Duke. I have a set of Revive's from speedgearbike and they are awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2019 SANTA CRUZ HIGHBALL CC (Custom Built)
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Formerly of Kent
    Got my UPS tracking number this morning. Should be here Wednesday.

Hope to get them built up and riding by Thursday.
    Death from Below.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got my UPS tracking number this morning. Should be here Wednesday.

Hope to get them built up and riding by Thursday.
    I know the guys at WAO quite well. They are based by the school I teach at and sponsor a couple of athletes I coach. A really good company, owned and operated by people who can really ride a bike.

Locally their wheels are everywhere, and by and large problems are very rare. I think you picked a good rim.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I know the guys at WAO quite well. They are based by the school I teach at and sponsor a couple of athletes I coach. A really good company, owned and operated by people who can really ride a bike.

Locally their wheels are everywhere, and by and large problems are very rare. I think you picked a good rim.
    Got them in last night, and got the rear wheel built up this morning. The build quality of the rims is incredible. I've owned Enve, Zipp, various Chinese brands. Best I've seen, bar none. Well done, WAO.

719g on the nose for the rear wheel. Rims were lighter than advertised. Should build up to 1350g for the set on 6 bolt, boost 240s (non-EXP).

I have an "extra" Extralite front hub laying around that I had originally planned to use on my wife's gravel bike. Turns out it can't be converted to fit her 12mm front thru axle/fork properly. Doing some quick math, if I bought 32 Berd spokes and a Faction rim, I could build up a ~575g, 27mm internal front wheel. Whoa.
    Death from Below.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got them in last night, and got the rear wheel built up this morning. The build quality of the rims is incredible. I've owned Enve, Zipp, various Chinese brands. Best I've seen, bar none. Well done, WAO.

719g on the nose for the rear wheel. Rims were lighter than advertised. Should build up to 1350g for the set on 6 bolt, boost 240s (non-EXP).

I have an "extra" Extralite front hub laying around that I had originally planned to use on my wife's gravel bike. Turns out it can't be converted to fit her 12mm front thru axle/fork properly. Doing some quick math, if I bought 32 Berd spokes and a Faction rim, I could build up a ~575g, 27mm internal front wheel. Whoa.
    I think they are making one of the best rims right now.

A buddy used their wheels for 2 years, zero issues. He bought a Trek Top Fuel that came with new top of line Bontrager wheels, first real rocky ride the rear rim disintegrates into shards. Four weeks later he is still waiting for the replacement wheel. Good thing I have a ton of spare wheels I can lend out.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Shartacular Spectacular

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the fit and finish of WAO's wheels. The carbon work is beautiful, and especially apparent when looking at the inner rim surface. The durability and performance is equally as impressive. I plan to write a full review and post at some point inthe near future.

Interesting story regarding the carbon quality used by WAO:
    As I was packing up my DH bike last weekend at the bike park at the end of two full days of riding (Blue Mountain Bike Park, Pa), I got to talking to the people parked next to me about bikes and our respective setups and how the mountain's loose chunky terrain, even by East coast sstandards, is a real test of bikes and components. When I mentioned how impressed I was with the performance and durability of my carbon wheels--they still spin immaculately true despite beating the piss out of them every weekend for 5.5 months last year and every weekend the park's been open this year--the guy I was talking to became visibly more interested and asked what they were (I have the stealth black labels). When I mentioned they were WAO he asked if he could take some pictures of the battle scars. Turns out he works for the company that supplies the carbon to WAO. He also informed me that WAO was incredibly particular and they had to spec them the good aerospace grade carbon to meet their expectations. I found this impressive and very telling of WAO's standards and build quality.
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey guys, any of you ride Faction wheels?
    I would like some feedback on them.
    I am planning to run them with 29x2.35 WildAm tires on my Hightower.

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have have factions with 2.3 minions on my SC Tallboy. Pretty much an ideal setup if you want something strong and light and want to run 2.3-2.4 tires.

battle stag commander
    Im running the factions on a wheelset up for a singlespeed that actually gets abused quite a bit. Having trouble with my p321 hub creaking and pawls making horrible noises when they slip, but the rims are great. 2 years of abuse, hand built, quite poorly, by me, but havent ever needed a true and ive thrown quite a bit at them. I may replace with new hubs, but the rims will remain, only cosmetic damage. Ive run numerous maxxis tires, ikon 2.35s, high roller 2.4, dhf and dhr 2.5 and currently a minion ss (2.4?) with xc weight cushcore in it for a bit more protection, and just as an experiment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Faction vs Union. Is this a terrain, bike and riding style decision or simply a tire width decision?

Bike would be a 140/150mm 29er with 2.4-2.5 rear x 2.5-2.6 front. Couldn't imagine going any larger than this.

WR1 has the Faction as a "Trail" rim with tire sizes ranging from 2.1-2.5 and the Union as a "Trail/Enduro" rim with tires sizes ranging from 2.4-2.8. How much do these rims overlap with their intended purpose? I usually don't break stuff but I'm also not looking to push my luck with a lighter rim. Just looking to balance rim and tire width with intended use.
    Good question, anybody have an answer?

locked - time out
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by itsky View Post
    Good question, anybody have an answer?
    Union

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Guys,
    I'm also trying to decide between faction and union rims. I ride a spot mayhem (140/130mm) trail bike. Most of my riding is in the midwest but I do travel several times a year to colorado, UP michigan, arizona or western North Carolina. I know the factions would probably be the rim if I just stayed in the midwest but I want something that can handle all the terrain I ride. I currently run maxis DHFs in 2.5.

This would be my first set of high end wheels, and am just looking for a bit of advice. I gave weareone a call the other day and haven't heard back, I'm assuming they are probably busy, or out enjoying the trails.

Thanks all!

locked - time out
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm also trying to decide between faction and union rims. I ride a spot mayhem (140/130mm) trail bike. Most of my riding is in the midwest but I do travel several times a year to colorado, UP michigan, arizona or western North Carolina. I know the factions would probably be the rim if I just stayed in the midwest but I want something that can handle all the terrain I ride. I currently run maxis DHFs in 2.5.

This would be my first set of high end wheels, and am just looking for a bit of advice. I gave weareone a call the other day and haven't heard back, I'm assuming they are probably busy, or out enjoying the trails.

Thanks all!
    For dhf 2.5, union.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Hey Guys,

Thanks all!
    I have Unions on my big bike, and a set of Factions coming for the trail bike. I would say get the ones that will satisfy most of your riding. The good thing is the 2.5/2.4 Minions have a farily round profile to begin with (IIRC), so they should work fine on either rim.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

locked - time out
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I have Unions on my big bike, and a set of Factions coming for the trail bike. I would say get the ones that will satisfy most of your riding. The good thing is the 2.5/2.4 Minions have a farily round profile to begin with (IIRC), so they should work fine on either rim.
    Maxxis is pretty clear about the 2.4-2.5WT tires being designed for i30-35 rims.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123