We Are One Composites - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ordering a set of Insider 29s w 240s/28h/CX-Ray. Does anyone know if straight pull is an option and are your insiders weighing in at claimed advertised weight? Do they come taped w valves? Supposedly the setup Iím ordering should be 1481 gms. this set will go on my Scott Spark RC.
    -2020 EVIL Chamois Hagar GRX

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 Cídale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    Ordering a set of Insider 29s w 240s/28h/CX-Ray. Does anyone know if straight pull is an option and are your insiders weighing in at claimed advertised weight? Do they come taped w valves? Supposedly the setup Iím ordering should be 1481 gms. this set will go on my Scott Spark RC.
    I just got a set of these exact wheels. I think they weighed a little more than what I was expecting but they werenít weighed before the tires were mounted (2.3 DHF/DHR2).

Red spoke nipples. I didnít know thatís what they were coming with, but they look nice, in a very subdued bling kinda way. I got the stealth decals. Maybe a little too stealth.

First ride was tonight. I went with my daughter. Gentle terrain, and gentle pace. No complaints but I have not rocked them yet. I will report back after I have done a solo blast, likely tomorrow after work.

Call WAO with any questions. Those guys were sooooo patient with me. They are true enthusiasts and seem to really enjoy fielding questions and providing assistance. It was a totally positive purchase experience for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got my first ride on the Insider wheelset and they're awesome! These replaced an aluminum OE wheelset that are also 27mm internal width, and the difference was night and day. The bike turns in so much sharper and feels so responsive, plus they also feel the bike feel smoother. I definitely feels like a lot less effort to spin up the wheels and they don't lose momentum as fast as my old wheels.

mtbr member
    I've got 1 week and 4 days counting before my wheels should arrive. I asked for straight spoke/hubs and WR1 does not carry those- for anyone interested in that. I'll post the actual weight on these when they come in for future reference.

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

high pivot witchcraft
    I've got 1 week and 4 days counting before my wheels should arrive. I asked for straight spoke/hubs and WR1 does not carry those- for anyone interested in that. I'll post the actual weight on these when they come in for future reference.
    So Insiders with 240s and CX-Rays? If so, that is identical to mine. Not that it matters much but did they mention spoke nipple colour? I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived with red spoke nipples. Very subtle bling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    So Insiders with 240s and CX-Rays? If so, that is identical to mine. Not that it matters much but did they mention spoke nipple colour? I was pleasantly surprised that mine arrived with red spoke nipples. Very subtle bling.
    Yep 240s and CX-Rays. Did you upgrade your ratchet? I decided to go w the standard 18t because I like how quiet it is. I had the 56t in the past it was a little loud for my taste. Good call on the nipple color. I didn't specify so I just shot an e-mail to where I'm buying them from and requested red. Now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't specify spoke color. I hope standard default is black for the spokes.

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

high pivot witchcraft
    Yep 240s and CX-Rays. Did you upgrade your ratchet? I decided to go w the standard 18t because I like how quiet it is. I had the 56t in the past it was a little loud for my taste. Good call on the nipple color. I didn't specify so I just shot an e-mail to where I'm buying them from and requested red. Now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't specify spoke color. I hope standard default is black for the spokes.
    I stuck with 18. This is my fourth set of standard 240s. Loved them all. I didnít want to mess with perfection.

Spokes on mine are flat black.

I was intending to post some pics. Just at the movies. I will take a few pics when I get home or tomorrow morning and will post them.

I also went with the stealth decals. They may be a little too stealth but all good.

high pivot witchcraft
    Ok. Just got back from Ant-Man and the Wasp. Hilarious.

Anyway, apologies 1-bar for the absolute horrific quality of these pics but it's pitch black here. I wanted to get you some pics of the red spoke nipples ASAP, in case you didn't like them. They don't match the red 240 sticker on the hub, but they match the red anodized parts on my fork and shock.

I like the red spoke nipples. Without them, that wheelset would be pretty ho-hum to my eye. I should have got a different decal though...

Anyway, here they are. Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to get you some more pics tomorrow as well, in the sun.

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_4f.jpg

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_50.jpg

Next decision...go nuts with a sharpie (oil based) or or not to those offensive Maxxis logos...

PS - 1-bar - why not call Dustin directly at WAO? Dude's past Canadian DH champ. He's a beast on a bike and 10 out of 10 to deal with. The guy is totally solid. He will patiently answer any and all questions you have. Totally positive purchase experience for me dealing directly with him.

high pivot witchcraft
    Sorry. I have more photos now but this site, as usual, won't let me upload them.

mtbr member
    The red nipples look good! Did you spec your wheels as 32h? Also, are you rocking a SB100?

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

high pivot witchcraft
    The red nipples look good! Did you spec your wheels as 32h? Also, are you rocking a SB100?
    They only offered 28H for the 240 as far as I know. Rockin a Norco Sight. Just got back from a solid ride.

mtbr member
    Interested in hearing more reviews about the Insider wheels.

Been looking at NOX, Carbonfan, I9, FSE wheels.....

Looking for a 27-30mm ID carbon wheelset that comes in at 1500 grams to replace my stock aluminum 2000gr wheels on Intense Primer.

I'm not a big fan of noisy hubs, have DT and Chris King on other bikes.

I dig the We Are One company culture and warranty is killer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post

It's a shame they don't make a road rim.
    I'm a fan. Would buy another set of WAO. Would consider ordering a complete from them as well.
    I have Agent 29s on Onyx BOOST Centerlock w/Sapim CX-Ray and DT ProLock Brass nipples.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just got my first legit ride in today on the Insiders. I am not a wheel guy so I donít really know what to say. They were light, and they were stiff, but not retina-detaching like my Enves. My bike felt motorized on the ups, and I railed, mobbed and danced through the downs. The best thing? How much raw energy I had for the downs after climbing for over an hour straight. I manhandled my bike on the downs like it was a rag doll. Was it the wheelset? I donít know. After a single ride, I swapped the E*13 wheelset and tires that came on my new bike, for this wheelset and a 2.3 DHF/DHR2 combo. If I am a betting man, Iíd say itís both the wheelset and the tires that resulted in the pure raw magic that I experienced today. I was getting very worried about all the decisions I made to get to where I am but yeah. This bike, and this wheelset rule. Kick. Total. Ass. Thankfully. I am now finally done with all the new bike screwing around. For this season at least...

PS - I dropped 1.7 pounds swapping out the E*13/240 TRS wheelset and E*13 tires. Those tires almost sucked the soul from me. Thatís 1.7 pounds...with a DHF/DHR2 combo replacing them. So still pretty beefy rubber. 1.7 POUNDS!!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    How wide do your 2.3ís measure on the Insiders? I too took delivery on a set of Insiders a couple weeks ago, also 28h 240ís with CX-Rayís. Mounted them on my Capra with a 2.6 DHF on front and a 2.6 Rekon on rear.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    How wide do your 2.3ís measure on the Insiders? I too took delivery on a set of Insiders a couple weeks ago, also 28h 240ís with CX-Rayís. Mounted them on my Capra with a 2.6 DHF on front and a 2.6 Rekon on rear.
    I don't have callipers. But they are one fk of a lot wider than my 2.35s that were on my 27.5 24 id Enves. I know because I have to jam the rear wheel into this...

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_59.jpg

I appreciate that that info is about as useless as it can be, but that's all I got.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Interested in hearing more reviews about the Insider wheels.

Been looking at NOX, Carbonfan, I9, FSE wheels.....

Looking for a 27-30mm ID carbon wheelset that comes in at 1500 grams to replace my stock aluminum 2000gr wheels on Intense Primer.

I'm not a big fan of noisy hubs, have DT and Chris King on other bikes.

I got mine with the DT 350 56T and they're the quietest hubs I've owned so far. I have Hope on another bike and the usual Novatec, Shimano, Sram on past bikes and these don't make a sound compare to those.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the pic, they don't look like pizza cutters like I thought they would. I might try 2.3's next time around, this 2.6 DHF on the front is quite heavy and the 2.6 Rekon on the back doesn't roll as fast as I'd hoped.

I also find my 54t setup very quiet, but that's coming off of the noisy TRS+ hubs, and my other bike has i9's which are stupid loud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreOne_Composites View Post
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to introduce our company to the wheel forum. We are a Canadian carbon rim manufacturer and would like to open the dialogue for any of our products, offer any insight to carbon rim manufacturing and help in any way possible with any questions what so ever.

We hand lay all of our rims and build all of our wheels right here in Kamloops BC Canada. And ship directly to the consumer and through our dealer network.

You all have a great forum going here and we would enjoy being a part of the descussion.

Cheers
    Perfect timing. I was pointed over to this thread by another mtbr member.
    I have a new Scott Genius and would like to upgrade the wheels. What do you recommend?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedkstr View Post
    Perfect timing. I was pointed over to this thread by another mtbr member.
    I have a new Scott Genius and would like to upgrade the wheels. What do you recommend?
    Maybe just call them. You will talk to the owner, Dustin. He is a past Canadian DH champion and owner of WAO. I understand he was one of the individuals who started NOBL. He is a very good guy who will patiently address all your questions and concerns. In the end, I suspect the exact wheelset I bought will be at or near the top of your best options. Scroll up a little bit...

mtbr member
    Interesting comment on quite DT 350 with 56T would the 240 be the same way. I thought I read somewhere that it was loud and noisy.

Was on a ride last night and a guy in front of me had the loudest hub I ever heard, we were going through some switchbacks -typical pedal, no pedal, brakes then pedal and the sound was so annoying, like too loud.

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I got mine with the DT 350 56T and they're the quietest hubs I've owned so far. I have Hope on another bike and the usual Novatec, Shimano, Sram on past bikes and these don't make a sound compare to those.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting comment on quite DT 350 with 56T would the 240 be the same way. I thought I read somewhere that it was loud and noisy.

Was on a ride last night and a guy in front of me had the loudest hub I ever heard, we were going through some switchbacks -typical pedal, no pedal, brakes then pedal and the sound was so annoying, like too loud.
    DT 350 does make some noise but it doesn't sound like a bee hive. If you guys like quiet hubs you should check out Project 321 silent pawls. I have them on my Agent's and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Writing from Down Under - pretty interested in the Insiders for my 2018 Instinct A70 so great to read some reviews. Does anyone know if there's a rider weight limit with these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz1970 View Post
    Writing from Down Under - pretty interested in the Insiders for my 2018 Instinct A70 so great to read some reviews. Does anyone know if there's a rider weight limit with these?
    Didn't see a limit listed for these. They're pretty burly and I'm 240lbs and have no concerns about these breaking under me. I'd contact the manufacturer if you really want to be sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks mate, that's great to know as i am 225 - am in conversation with them right now.

mtbr member

Insider 29 wheels

I've been rocking my WR1C wheels for the past few months. I'm impressed with the durability, looks and performance. These are with the Insiders w Sapim X-ray spokes in 28h. We Are One Composites-img_5844-2.jpg
    We Are One Composites-img_5843-2.jpg

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

banned
    Apr 2006
    When will your product w/a 35mm +/- id premier?

Long Live the Gorn!
    Whats the proper tape width for Agent. Need to replace mine. Also is there a preferred brand?

BTW I have nearly a year of fairly rugged riding on my WAOs Agents dry, wet, rocky etc... spectacular, if I get a chance I will write an (amateur) long term review.

When I get out this AM... gonna go banging down some of this... as usual worse than it looks

We Are One Composites-img_20171223_105907.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I find that the Industry Nine tape designed for their wider rims is the best for my Agents. Gorilla and other thicker tape seem to sort of ruin the super easy installs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Has anyone else been trying without success to reach WR1? I ordered my second set of Agents and sent a couple post-purchase questions and havenít gotten a response by email or Facebook. Not the end of the world, just curious.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    Has anyone else been trying without success to reach WR1? I ordered my second set of Agents and sent a couple post-purchase questions and havenít gotten a response by email or Facebook. Not the end of the world, just curious.
    I've had no problem. They got right back to me (e-mail).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Same thing here. I placed an order two weeks ago and Dustin was super quick to respond initially, then since late last week I haven't gotten a response back to my last 2 emails, I'm going to give them a call when they open this AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mustíve been some show or other delay. Theyíre back to their usual first-rate awesomeness. Been firing some emails back and forth about my order and all is well.

mtbr member
    hi,

i've been thinking about upgrading from my race face arc 27 (27mm internal width) aluminum rims with dt swiss 350 hubs to the we are one agents.

i have no experience with carbon rims at all.

before i spend 1500 bucks, can anyone who has done this type of upgrade give me some insight on the benefits and if it really makes a valid difference compared to, let's say, an upgrade from a 150mm pike to a 36 fox?

i have a 2017 bronson c,

thanks
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post
    hi,

i've been thinking about upgrading from my race face arc 27 (27mm internal width) aluminum rims with dt swiss 350 hubs to the we are one agents.

i have no experience with carbon rims at all.

before i spend 1500 bucks, can anyone who has done this type of upgrade give me some insight on the benefits and if it really makes a valid difference compared to, let's say, an upgrade from a 150mm pike to a 36 fox?

i have a 2017 bronson c,

thanks
    I actually had the Heist 30s a while back (ARC rims) as a backup set for my Enve M70s. The Enves were STIFF, great for smashing tough lines but not the most comfortable. ARCs are OK depending on how you build them but youíll definitely notice an increase in lateral stiffness/acceleration with carbon. Where We Are One really hits the sweet spot is in the combo of stiffness and ride comfort. I know Enve released a new line (after being left behind on the comfort front) but the Agent absolutely kills the M70HV in all around performance.

Going to top-notch Carbon wheels is more like putting a custom damper in your Pike rather than switching to a Fox 36. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you have the means I highly recommend picking some up. My Evil Insurgent is already rocking Agents and the choice was easy for my new build, a Yeti SB130. Although the Yeti is getting some Onyx hubs.

mtbr member
    I actually had the Heist 30s a while back (ARC rims) as a backup set for my Enve M70s. The Enves were STIFF, great for smashing tough lines but not the most comfortable. ARCs are OK depending on how you build them but youíll definitely notice an increase in lateral stiffness/acceleration with carbon. Where We Are One really hits the sweet spot is in the combo of stiffness and ride comfort. I know Enve released a new line (after being left behind on the comfort front) but the Agent absolutely kills the M70HV in all around performance.

Going to top-notch Carbon wheels is more like putting a custom damper in your Pike rather than switching to a Fox 36. To quote Ferris Bueller, if you have the means I highly recommend picking some up. My Evil Insurgent is already rocking Agents and the choice was easy for my new build, a Yeti SB130. Although the Yeti is getting some Onyx hubs.
    thank you DrPete.

did you notice any difference on tech climbs or climbs in general with the carbon rims? i don't know if there is a weight difference between the two wheelsets, but i imagine the general feel of the Agents would be beneficial uphill.

btw, i'm looking at the Agents with dt swiss 350 hubs with the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade. i now have 36.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stepping-razor View Post
    thank you DrPete.

did you notice any difference on tech climbs or climbs in general with the carbon rims? i don't know if there is a weight difference between the two wheelsets, but i imagine the general feel of the Agents would be beneficial uphill.

btw, i'm looking at the Agents with dt swiss 350 hubs with the 54 tooth ratchet upgrade. i now have 36.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Iíll be honest, dropping the weight didnít cause the sky to open up and shine a light from heaven on my climbs but where I did notice a difference was the surefootedness on the punchy climbs and tech stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Running a set of XM481/DT350s on my bike right now...i think the weight is right around 1900 grams for the setup.

I am a bigger guy, about 240lbs fully geared up....dont necessarily want to go super light weight...i want strong and sturdy and stiff. But i would figure a good carbon wheelset would also be lighter than my OEM setup....what do you all recommend here?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    Running a set of XM481/DT350s on my bike right now...i think the weight is right around 1900 grams for the setup.

I am a bigger guy, about 240lbs fully geared up....dont necessarily want to go super light weight...i want strong and sturdy and stiff. But i would figure a good carbon wheelset would also be lighter than my OEM setup....what do you all recommend here?
    Agents, all day long. Iím the same weight as you on my heaviest days and my Agents have just shrugged off everything. Rock gardens, cased jumps, you name it. They are just totally point and shoot, stiff in the right ways but compliant where they need to be. Best wheels Iíve ever owned, and that includes wheels like I9 Enduro 305 and Enve M70HV. Pick your favorite hubs and enjoy. You wonít regret it. Iím building up a 29er and thought briefly about trying SC Reserves before coming back for a second set. I9 hubs for the 27.5s, Onyx for the new 29ers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Agent 29 w/240s and CX-Ray spokes are claimed @1631g.

I'm ~165-170lbs and use Agent 29s. Weight isn't a concern for myself as I run burly tyres and the bike is also a beast. Can't say I've ever weighed my bikes. Put performance, durability and enjoyment before all that. If I want my light bike with quick acceleration I take out the road bike.

wretch
    Can anyone speak to how long the shipping takes coming from Kamloops to the west coast? Waiting anxiously on some Agent's w/ Onyx as the last part of my new build...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Can anyone speak to how long the shipping takes coming from Kamloops to the west coast? Waiting anxiously on some Agent's w/ Onyx as the last part of my new build...
    My Agents arrived in WA the next day after they shipped. Had them within a week. The real limiter is hub choice and what they have on hand, in the sense that if you order a less common color or something it may take a while to get hubs in. They had plain black Onyx hubs on hand when I ordered. Shipping is crazy fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    They used 2 day shipping when they sent mine. Shipped on Thursday, arrived in TN on Monday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Mine arrived to Victoria day after leaving Kamloops; took a while to get out the door though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The GF had a wine shipment from Kelowna delayed this week due to crappy weather on the Coquihalla.
    So if everything is good to go that would be an issue.

WAO is well worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Iím assuming that Dustin is not using Canada Post butnifbhe is, that could be the cause of the delay as Canadaís a post is presently having rotational strikes across Canada.
    The wheels are worth the wait as has been mentioned.
    Call and ask, Dustin almost always answers the phone and will call you back if he doesnít answer.
    Eric

high pivot witchcraft
    I am 95% of the way towards throwing down on my second set of wheels from We Are One. I already have Insiders with DT 240s and CX-Rays. I am going for Agents this time. Just deciding on the hubs. 90% of the way towards 350s with the 36 tooth ratchet ďupgradeĒ. I just need to get those Onyx hubs out of my mind.

mtbr member
    I am 95% of the way towards throwing down on my second set of wheels from We Are One. I already have Insiders with DT 240s and CX-Rays. I am going for Agents this time. Just deciding on the hubs. 90% of the way towards 350s with the 36 tooth ratchet ďupgradeĒ. I just need to get those Onyx hubs out of my mind.
    I have 350/Agents on my Fugitive and love em. I have I9 hubs on my HT and have not missed the engagement. I am now thinking of a pair for my HT. Do you have details on the sale?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I ordered Agents with I9s, was hoping to get them before Thanksgiving but sounds like they will be shipped at the end of next week. I'm excited, first carbon rims.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have 350/Agents on my Fugitive and love em. I have I9 hubs on my HT and have not missed the engagement. I am now thinking of a pair for my HT. Do you have details on the sale?
    TB - PM sent.

Also - did you opt for the 36 or 54 tooth ratchet upgrade for your 350s? If not, will you on your next set?

mtbr member
    I went with the 36 tooth for more reliability. It's enough POE for me and I love reliability.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iíve got the first few rides on my Agent 29s with Onyx hubs. The eerie awesomeness of silently bombing a descent is worth the extra grams. And the engagement is insane. Love em.

high pivot witchcraft
    Iíve got the first few rides on my Agent 29s with Onyx hubs. The eerie awesomeness of silently bombing a descent is worth the extra grams. And the engagement is insane. Love em.
    Aaarrrggghhh. I need to decide today. Onyx vs DT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iíve had 240s and 350s on wheels and you really canít go wrong, but Onyx is a whole new and very cool experience, and they let you support another little guy company thatís making awesome stuff.

mtbr member
    Iíve had 240s and 350s on wheels and you really canít go wrong, but Onyx is a whole new and very cool experience, and they let you support another little guy company thatís making awesome stuff.
    If my trail dog wasn't so used to the sound of I9s I'd have probably given the Onyx a try. But I9 is local to me so I gotta support them, I got a tour from the owner last weekend.We Are One Composites-72b477a3-d3f9-4fce-af09-093f8648138d.jpgWe Are One Composites-img_3265.jpg
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iíve got I9s on my other set of Agents so Iíve got the full noise spectrum covered. Haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Im still waiting on a response from Dustin so I can get mine ordered up. Hope all is well up there....

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    Im still waiting on a response from Dustin so I can get mine ordered up. Hope all is well up there....
    I am ALL OVER those guys right now. Sorry if I took time away from you. LOL. If you are emailing, best to pick the phone up and call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am ALL OVER those guys right now. Sorry if I took time away from you. LOL. If you are emailing, best to pick the phone up and call.
    So what hubs did you decide on?

high pivot witchcraft
    So what hubs did you decide on?
    I want to be able to swap wheel sets between my SRAM equipped FS, and my Shimano equipped HT. I am running Insiders with DT 240s on my FS. I am going to get Agents with 350s for the HT so I can swap drivers and cassettes between wheel sets and run them interchangeably between the 2 bikes. I can't do that unless the drivers are interchangeable, which is only possible if I go with DT Swiss again.

Or at least I think so. Hopefully all of this is correct. Lots of moving pieces for my simple little mind...

The Onyx though...I dreamt about them. I would love to experience the zen like feeling of maching the downs, only to hear my tires scratching against the dirt. It must be an incredible sensation. Not to mention the infinite POEs and beautiful industrial art that they are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I want to be able to swap wheel sets between my SRAM equipped FS, and my Shimano equipped HT. I am running Insiders with DT 240s on my FS. I am going to get Agents with 350s for the HT so I can swap drivers and cassettes between wheel sets and run them interchangeably between the 2 bikes. I can't do that unless the drivers are interchangeable, which is only possible if I go with DT Swiss again.

Or at least I think so. Hopefully all of this is correct. Lots of moving pieces for my simple little mind...

The Onyx though...I dreamt about them. I would love to experience the zen like feeling of maching the downs, only to hear my tires scratching against the dirt. It must be an incredible sensation. Not to mention the infinite POEs and beautiful industrial art that they are.
    You are correct, in fact with dt hubs you can just take the wheel off, grab the cassette, and yank. The end cap should stay in place which is the only other part that needs to go with the new driver so your swaps should be quick if there's no contamination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The boss (wife) gave approval to get a set of the Insiders if they ever go on sale. lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrubicon550 View Post
    The boss (wife) gave approval to get a set of the Insiders if they ever go on sale. lol.
    I hear they are having a Black Friday sale.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Has that started yet? I've been waiting to pull the trigger to see if they're gonna do a sale. I see nothing on their website about a sale though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
    They are having a Black Friday sale. 20% off
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Me too. I've been watching like a hawk. I haven't received an e-mail from their newsletter or seen anything on their facebook page.

mtbr member
    It's announced on Instagram, goes live tomorrow.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    ^^^^ 20% off everything...November 21óNovember 26

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    ^^^^ 20% off everything...November 21óNovember 26
    Yep, ordered mine last Tuesday, can't wait to get them!
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do these come taped? Or what tape did everyone use to convert to tubeless?

high pivot witchcraft
    Ordered and paid. Agents with 350s with the 36 tooth upgrade and custom decals.

Second wheel set from We are One.

Totally stoked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrubicon550 View Post
    Do these come taped? Or what tape did everyone use to convert to tubeless?
    They come taped, tubeless ready.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Ordered Agent/DT350s for my hardtail.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Ordered 29er Agents with Onyx hubs for my Fuel EX. I just couldn't pass up the 20% off deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Perfect. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thinking of the insider wheels in 27.5. Thoughts on running 2.6Ē tires?

Or is Agent wheel more appropriate???

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post

IMHO, Agent 100% if you plan on running 2.6s. It will vary with the specific tire, but for a 2.6? I would go Agent. Why wouldn't you? The weight saving is likely negligible.

I have 29er Insiders. The tire profile is perfect for 2.3 DHF/DHR2s. I just ordered a set of Agents to run 2.5/2.6s.

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015

Agents are the perfect match for 2.6" wide tires. That what I'm running on mine - one set each of 27.5 and 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Agents are the perfect match for 2.6" wide tires. That what I'm running on mine - one set each of 27.5 and 29.
    I was leaning toward running 2.3 normally but may want to run 2.5-2.6 in future and was originally leaning toward insider. Especially if i run 2.3 most of time... BUT before i pull trigger considering the agents even though heavier but may give me more tire options...

high pivot witchcraft
    I was leaning toward running 2.3 normally but may want to run 2.5-2.6 in future and was originally leaning toward insider. Especially if i run 2.3 most of time... BUT before i pull trigger considering the agents even though heavier but may give me more tire options...
    That is a gloss on what you said originally.

If you are unsure (or even if you think you are sure), why not just call Dustin at We Are One? Dude picks up the phone himself. Why not take advantage of that? Not only is he the owner and a really decent guy, he is a former CDN DH champ and Giant team rider who shared the WC DH podium with Steve Peat and the like.

That said, of course you can run 2.6s on the Insider. The Agents would be preferable. You will have to run a higher psi with the narrower id of the Insider and even then, you may get quite a bit of flop on hard cornering. The tire profile may be more lightbulb-ish and with some tires (Minions), you may feel a tendency to wash out on cornering before the side lugs kick in. But holy eff were they fast. Possibly because the side lugs were never near the dirt. That was my experience with my old 24 id Enve rims and Minions. But that was with MY riding style. You may be fine.

As with most things in life, you can't have everything. That's why WAO makes both rims, and why some of us have both wheel sets.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a set of 27.5 Insiders -- took advantage of the 20% off.
    I wanted to try other hubs (went in intending to get CK or Onyx) but ended up with 240s again -- my third wheelset with them. They just seem to tick off all the boxes: light, reliable, strong, smooth bearing, centerlock, easy to service, easy to switch between quiet (18T) and CK-like buzz (54T).
    With CX Rays comes out to about 1450 grams.
    To answer some questions asked above:
    Phone Dustin. He is great. Period. I dealt with him years ago when he was at NOBL and he was the same there.
    For those in Canada, We Are One does NOT ship Canada Post so don't worry about the strike.
    Dustin says they all are running Maxxis WT on their Insiders. He says it's a perfect fit. He says they tested 2.6 and even 2.8 and in his words "found them to be more than fine. They were a round profile but rolled really nice."
    IMO, I think if you're going 2.6 then go for The Agents. But I run Minion 2.3 and Ardent 2.4 in the summer and going for WT this winter, so The Insider is a great one wheelset solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    I wanted to try other hubs (went in intending to get CK or Onyx) but ended up with 240s again -- my third wheelset with them. They just seem to tick off all the boxes: light, reliable, strong, smooth bearing, centerlock, easy to service, easy to switch between quiet (18T) and CK-like buzz (54T).
    Phone Dustin. He is great. Period. I dealt with him years ago when he was at NOBL and he was the same there.
    For those in Canada, We Are One does NOT ship Canada Post so don't worry about the strike.
    Dustin says they all are running Maxxis WT on their Insiders. He says it's a perfect fit. He says they tested 2.6 and even 2.8 and in his words "found them to be more than fine. They were a round profile but rolled really nice."
    IMO, I think if you're going 2.6 then go for The Agents. But I run Minion 2.3 and Ardent 2.4 in the summer and going for WT this winter, so The Insider is a great one wheelset solution.
    Im leaning toward insiders with the i9ís as i really plan on running 2.3 and/or 2.4 sizing. I am a big fan of conti tires but i love maxxis too as i know you cant run contis on We Are Ones.

The 2.6 idea was more of future proofing i guess...

I want to take advantage of the sale as this set is for a bike i will build beginning of next year.

Ill think about it some more while i am in my post turkey coma!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    I want to get a carbon wheelset for my new Ibis Ripmo (I'll get it in February). I've never ridden anything larger than 2.4 on my personal bike. I ride a wide variety of trail even during the same day: Lots of slow climbing followed by steep rocky technical descent, some flowy descent with jumps and berms, lots of technical rocky xc trails as well... Given the capability of my future bike, I was getting an agent wheelset with dt 240 or 350 (not sure yet). But reading comment about how insiders still performed ok with 2.6 and probably better with smaller tires, I think I might go that route... I have an Intense Spider comp with Easton 19mm inner width rims so even going with the insider wheelset should be a major improvement for me...

How about running a 2.35 on Agent wheels? Are they performing ok? Thanks for any input I'm getting into analysis paralysis a bit...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

banned
    Apr 2006

Depends on tire. Something w/round profile like HansDampf looks ok but Minion DHF needs wider to square it off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone riding these able to give comparison to either nobl or sc reserve wheels? I have a pair of nobl on my Bronson (Dustin was one of the big reasons I went with nobl st the time.. that dude is great, super knowledgeable and patient with questions).

Iím thinking about picking up a pair during their Black Friday sale for a 29er Iím going to build up early Jan, but Iím curious about their ride quality. Iíve ridden nobl and demod sc reserves and was going to go with reserves for the warranty, but hand laid in NA by a small company with an amazing warranty is something Iíd like to support if the ride quality fits my preference.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Anyone riding these able to give comparison to either nobl or sc reserve wheels? I have a pair of nobl on my Bronson (Dustin was one of the big reasons I went with nobl st the time.. that dude is great, super knowledgeable and patient with questions).

Iím thinking about picking up a pair during their Black Friday sale for a 29er Iím going to build up early Jan, but Iím curious about their ride quality. Iíve ridden nobl and demod sc reserves and was going to go with reserves for the warranty, but hand laid in NA by a small company with an amazing warranty is something Iíd like to support if the ride quality fits my preference.
    I have not ridden NOBL or Reserves. That said, I am coming off a set of very expensive Enves.

FWIW, I just ordered my second wheel set from Dustin. So did Travis Bickle above. The co-inventor of the VPP suspension linkage design (who I know) also owns 2 sets of WAOs. I expect to be buying a third set in April.

I have not seen a single bad word said about WAO. The purchased experience is 100% positive (as you know, having dealt with Dustin at NOBL). I know of no reason to not go with them.

mtbr member
    My Agents with I9s should be shipping Monday! Hope to get my first ride on them next weekend.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
    My Agents with I9s should be shipping Monday! Hope to get my first ride on them next weekend.
    Congrats. Trusting you will properly celebrate this tonight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Picked up a set of We Are One Agent 29 wheels, laced to Onyx hubs back in October, and I've had a good monthís worth of riding on them since. Just thought I'd give my impressions for anybody considering these, or on the fence.

This is my first time spending any considerable time riding on carbon rims, but compared to the aluminum Bontrager Line Comp 30 rims (28 mm internal diameter) I was on, these wheels feel amazing. They track incredibly well, and cornering feels noticeably more precise. It's not a "harsh" ride at all, something I've commonly heard applied to overly stiff carbon rims. I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nic's front and rear, and the traction with the slightly added tire volume is awesome. The overall ride feel is a dramatic improvement from what I was used to. The bike handles better on the trail, and in the air.

Now for the Onyx hubs. Holy shit. First off, they look old-school awesome, but the bike pedals like a completely new machine. I know people complain about the added hub weight, and admittedly, when I picked up the rear wheel after mounting the tires (tubeless), they felt disconcertingly heavy, but once I was on the trail, I couldn't notice the weight at all. Because of how relatively light these rims are, the bulk of that weight is at the wheel's center, and for what you get performance and feel-wise, any increase in weight is, in my mind, totally worth it. The hubs are completely silent, roll completely smooth, and engage instantly. I spend a lot of my time riding on some fairly technical trails around Victoria and Duncan, BC, and I've now cleared climbing sections that in the past have always resulted in pedal strikes and failed attempts. Descending is even better. Thereís no buzz or vibration from the rear hub, and it feels like I can ďfeelĒ the tires on the ground, in a way Iíve never noticed before. Its hard to describe, but it needs to be experienced. Pedaling feels smooth, there is no clunk of engagement, power just starts going to the wheel. A solo night ride down a flowy trail might be my favorite experience on a bike to date, and it was because the only thing I could see was the trail in front of me, and the only thing I could hear were my tires on the ground. If youíre put off by the weight, donít be. Simple as that.

Back to We Are One, they were super good to deal with. I ordered the Agent 29 Rims with the Sapim Race spokes, Onyx antifreeze green hubs, with the custom decal option. I placed the order online on a Sunday, and the wheels were delivered on the Wednesday, almost suspiciously fast (in fairness, they were shipped from Kamloops to Penticton BC, about a 2.5 hour drive, so its not like it was a long way to go). Dustin was in touch with me about the decals, and they did a very nice job on an orange and green colour theme on their stock decals. The decals were delivered about a week later, but were fairly straightforward to apply.

Overall, Iím very happy with these wheels. Itís by far the most expensive bike related purchase (aside from the actual bike) that Iíve ever made, or likely to make in the future, and Iím very glad I did.

We Are One Composites-p_20181126_095007.jpgWe Are One Composites-p_20181126_094604_vhdr_on.jpg

mtbr member
    These are just superb Dustin!

We Are One Composites-img_8004.jpg
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

Shartacular Spectacular
    Has anyone ridden the Outliers yet? I canít find any reviews or first hand accounts of anyone riding on them. The SC Reserves I put on my Bronson earlier this year won me over to carbon wheels and now Iíd like to get some carbon hoops for the new V10.6 I picked up in November.

I know SC will have their 27.5 DH wheels available in April, but Iím tempted to get these insteadó so much so I contacted Dustin a few weeks ago about getting them laced up with I9 DH hubs, he replied, and I inquired further about pricing and never heard back. But I digress, Iím interested to hear if anyone could provide a review or impressions regarding the We Are One DH offering, the Outlier?
    The 18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nd42 View Post
    I'm running 2.6" Nobby Nic's front and rear, and the traction with the slightly added tire volume is awesome. The overall ride feel is a dramatic improvement from what I was used to. The bike handles better on the trail, and in the air.
    Why? Did you fill them with helium?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Finally got my Agents on my Fuel EX yesterday. Those Onyx hubs sure look sharp. Now I just need the trails here in VA to dry out.

mtbr member
    Just in time for Christmas. Really impressed with build quality...

We Are One Composites-img_5496.jpg
    We Are One Composites-img_5499.jpg
    We Are One Composites-img_5500.jpg
    Last edited by LewisQC; 12-26-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    I'm curious if you guys ride with some sort of insert protection with your carbon wheels? My previous wheelset was a narrow (19mm) Easton EA90 with MM front and NN rear. I've never tore a side wall or broke a rim...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iíve had about a full year on my 29er agent rims. I have beaten them up pretty good, I run 17 psi front and 19 psi rear with 2.5Ē DHF and 2.6Ē Rekon thru all manner of rock gardens in New England. I just pulled them off this week to clean everything, service hubs, and replace tires and they are still flawless.

Thanks to Dusty for recommending these rims and building them up for me.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymonks View Post
    ...Thanks to Dusty for recommending these rims and building them up for me.
    You must be much closer to Dustin than me. Even after two sets, and possibly a third, I am still on a formal name basis

But yes - agreed. Sweet wheels.

Shartacular Spectacular
    And if you're really tight, you'd know his preferred moniker and possible hip-hop alter ego, "D-Sizzle"

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    And if you're really tight, you'd know his preferred moniker and possible hip-hop alter ego, "D-Sizzle"

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    I can't help but think you guys might be talking about 2 different guys...

- Dustin Adams (WR1 and formerly of NOBL)
    and
    - Dusty Ott (Hubsessed Cycle Works)

Both are great guys from my interactions with them.

high pivot witchcraft

and

And D-Sizzle? Where does he fit in?

Shartacular Spectacular

When the housemaids scrub the floors he gets the spaces in betweenÖ

And D-Sizzle? Where does he fit in?
    I think he forgot an ďakaĒ somewhere... but you know, you know, heís around...

Name:  D35228F6-A999-4AC1-A42E-5D2882A80556.jpeg
Views: 3319
Size:  22.2 KB
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

high pivot witchcraft

bahahaha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    I'm curious if you guys ride with some sort of insert protection with your carbon wheels? My previous wheelset was a narrow (19mm) Easton EA90 with MM front and NN rear. I've never tore a side wall or broke a rim...
    Yes i run my with Huck Norris, i recalled Dustin mentioned that is how they run them. Super happy with them on my insiders that i have on my Nomad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

BHHAAAAHAHAHAHAHA this is pure gold!!! We have the radest people supporting our brand. That is something no one can argue.

Cheers fellas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

and

You are right Dusty from Hubsessed is a much more stand up human than this D-Sizzle fella you speak of....LOL

Dusty is a great wealth of wheelbuilding knowledge and we love supporting him and his business as much as he loves building our hoops for all you rad riders down south!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fedfox View Post
    Yes i run my with Huck Norris, i recalled Dustin mentioned that is how they run them. Super happy with them on my insiders that i have on my Nomad.
    Thanks! Are you running the medium size? I have Insider and will be using (for now) a DHF/Aggressor combo in 2.5
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Thanks! Are you running the medium size? I have Insider and will be using (for now) a DHF/Aggressor combo in 2.5
    Yes medium, i run a DHF 2.5 and a High Roller 2.3 on the back.

Shartacular Spectacular

Trail-inois Approved!

My new Outliers laced up to i9 DH hubs arrived today! I just wanted to send a big thank you out to the guys over at We Are One Composites (D-Sizzle and T-Money) for patiently answering what I would characterize as an exhausting number of questions. They went out of their way and very quickly set me up with my preferred (non-stock) i9 DH hubs and even reached out to request my fork make and model before shipping to ensure I was ordering the right spacing (I wasnít, how embarrassing)óand rebuilt the wheels before shipping out first thing the next day. Super fast turnaround and shipping to the US.

Throughout the interrogation process they seemed very genuine in answering my questions with informed well-thought out responses, not the old ďhereís what ya need to know, now get outta here kid ya bother meĒ vibe you get sometimes from some other companies within the industry. These guys genuinely seem to give a $h**. They truly Strive to make sure you are getting the best possible product for your application with the best buying experience without a bunch of marketing BS.

Iíll post some pictures of these beauties tomorrow and even throw up a picture from another carbon wheel to illustrate just how impressive the fit and finish is on these puppies. Speaking of puppies...
    We Are One Composites-20190211_194103.jpg

My live-in ambassador to the trail dog association approved this message.

There might be a hint about a rumored new product hidden somewhere in the post above...
    Last edited by Shartist; 02-11-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Did someone get a new bar, aka Strive for their bike as well?

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Did someone get a new bar, aka Strive for their bike as well?

Haha, this is a good guess, but only 50% correct (based purely on rumor )
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The not 31.8 nor 35mm bar rumor?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A little sneak peek at the Handlebars here, anyone have more info?? I'd love to know more as I am building my new bike for the spring.

https://nsmb.com/articles/highlights-2019-bc-bike-show/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Downtime podcast has an interesting interview with Dustin Adams from WAO Composites. He talks about the development process and what sets them apart from all the other asia-sourced wheels out there. Also they go through the new rims that are coming out. Worth a listen.

Also, 20% off everything through the podcast website. Nice!

Reinventing the Wheel - Dustin Adams from We Are One Composites - Downtime Podcast

high pivot witchcraft
    Listened to the Podcast.

Dammit. I just threw down on a set of Agents. Insiders before that.

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    But he talks about "7075 aluminum rims". Who makes rims of 7075?

Shartacular Spectacular
    The rumor I alluded to was new carbon DH rims... Haven't listened to the latest podcast yet, plan to later today.
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    But he talks about "7075 aluminum rims". Who makes rims of 7075?
    I think in the podcast, he was referring to DT Swiss' rim - ex471. Not sure if that's accurate or not as DT's site only list "aluminum" as material. Being in the wheel industry, he might have better insight i guess.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    I think in the podcast, he was referring to DT Swiss' rim - ex471. Not sure if that's accurate or not as DT's site only list "aluminum" as material. Being in the wheel industry, he might have better insight i guess.
    False, people on the internets know best
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

Jan
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Problem is that the DT rim has a welded joint, but 7075 alloy is not weldable ... I think 6000 series alloy are common for bike rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    For those that didn't listen here is a rundown. New 30mm Downhill and 30mm Enduro rim that are stronger than the Agent. New 35mm rim. New 26" Dirt Jumper focused rim.
    New 25mm XC/Gravel rim. Also they plan to sell existing Agent and Insider wheelsets with DTSwiss 350 hubs for $1000.

I'm happy to hear about the 25mm rim. I really like my Agent wheelset and wanted something for gravel but the Insider was a bit too heavy.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Just got a set of Agents for my mixed wheel Stumpjumper build.

Haven't ridden. Yet, but the quality is outstanding. The wheel could have been a touch straighter, but the spoke tension is very even. Cant complain at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Downtime podcast has an interesting interview with Dustin Adams from WAO Composites. He talks about the development process and what sets them apart from all the other asia-sourced wheels out there. Also they go through the new rims that are coming out. Worth a listen.

Also, 20% off everything through the podcast website. Nice!

Reinventing the Wheel - Dustin Adams from We Are One Composites - Downtime Podcast
    Oh shit. I don't know if I can pass this up. My napkin math shows it would be <$100 more to get a complete Agent wheelset vs. have my local shop build one up using my existing DT350 hubs. And that's without selling off one of my alloy wheelsets.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Question for everyone who owns a set of WAO agents. I just got a set and went to install a new Maxxis Aggressor WT on it. But the tire is so hard to get on. I had to use levers but in doing so tore the tape that came on the rim. So know i have to retape the rim and try again. Any advise so this doesnt happen again. Its only an issue with this new tire im putting on the back rim, the front tire i swapped over from my other set of rims went on easy.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post
    Question for everyone who owns a set of WAO agents. I just got a set and went to install a new Maxxis Aggressor WT on it. But the tire is so hard to get on. I had to use levers but in doing so tore the tape that came on the rim. So know i have to retape the rim and try again. Any advise so this doesnt happen again. Its only an issue with this new tire im putting on the back rim, the front tire i swapped over from my other set of rims went on easy.

Thanks
    Use dishwashing soap. May not make it easy, but easier. I use a paper towel. Liberally spread soap along all 3 edges of tire bead. Same in rim. I don't do the entire wheel. I get it mostly installed and then apply soap for the tough part.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You can put the tire in the sun for a little while as this help also.

high pivot witchcraft
    I will check with my LBS mechanic buddy to make sure of this but if I understood him correctly, he told me that he set up both my Insiders (DHF/DHR2) and my Agents (DHF/Aggressor) tubeless without a compresor and that they were the easiest rims he has worked with in his career.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Ok, thanks for the replies and help everyone. Im gonna give it another go. Just got done putting on some fresh rim tape. So gonna give that a hour or two to get set properly. Then ill see if i can get it on easier. Wish me luck..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Aggressor was the hardest tire Iíve ever had to set up with this rim or any other rim. All other Maxxis tired were, are super easy.

high pivot witchcraft
    I checked with my buddy. He confirmed what I said above.

With at least a few reports of Maxxis tires blowing off rims, I wonder whether not all the Aggressors are perfectly uniform and that some may be more trouble than others mounting.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Ok so i gave it another go and it was a b**ch to get on. It was maybe slightly easier. I have never had this issue before. Has to be the Aggressor, because i have never had this issue with Maxxis tires. Maybe its because its a DD casing. Like i said the front tire (dhf) went on super easy.

I did manage to get it on without messing the tape up. I did rip a little piece of the edge but that wont affect anything (im hoping) So far its holding air for the 4 hours ive had it on. Still sitting at 45psi. Im gonna leave it that high over night to let it set. Then will check again after work tomorrow and hopefully its still sitting at or near 45psi.

Once i had the tire on, it was super easy to seat the tire. I did use a compressor so that was a given. Will update you guys tomorrow, but im thinking im good.

Again thanks to everyone for the help. This Aggressor better be worth it, or im gonna go back to the DHR 2.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post
    Ok so i gave it another go and it was a b**ch to get on. It was maybe slightly easier. I have never had this issue before. Has to be the Aggressor, because i have never had this issue with Maxxis tires. Maybe its because its a DD casing. Like i said the front tire (dhf) went on super easy.

I did manage to get it on without messing the tape up. I did rip a little piece of the edge but that wont affect anything (im hoping) So far its holding air for the 4 hours ive had it on. Still sitting at 45psi. Im gonna leave it that high over night to let it set. Then will check again after work tomorrow and hopefully its still sitting at or near 45psi.

Once i had the tire on, it was super easy to seat the tire. I did use a compressor so that was a given. Will update you guys tomorrow, but im thinking im good.

Again thanks to everyone for the help. This Aggressor better be worth it, or im gonna go back to the DHR 2.
    Success!

My Aggressor is an EXO. Not sure whether that has anything to do with it.

And yeah - I too hope I like the Aggressor. If not, I think I am going to go 2.5 DHF front and rear.

Anyway, good to hear you came out on top in your battle.

mtbr member
    I've seen a few tires come from Maxxis with beads that were just too tight. It may just be that specific tire. Ive had 2 identical tires going on the same rims and 1 that was so tight that it took 2 metal levers and alot of cursing to get it on while the other went on by hand like most of them do with proper technique. Maxxis is not perfect. From casings with wobbles of varying degrees to incinsistent bead sizes, it does happen. I'd say in my experience (I buy alot of tires) maybe 1 in every 15 tires has some kind if issue. The good thing is maxxis will replace them if you take it back to where you bought it.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Success!

My Aggressor is an EXO. Not sure whether that has anything to do with it.

And yeah - I too hope I like the Aggressor. If not, I think I am going to go 2.5 DHF front and rear.

Anyway, good to hear you came out on top in your battle.
    Thanks Mike, i was glad i got it done. Got my bike all set up, and gonna take it for a ride this weekend if the weather allows. Ive heard good things about the Aggressor so i have high hopes. Im running the Aggressor in 2.5 WT out back and a 2.6 DHF up front. Hope its a combo i keep for awhile.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    I've seen a few tires come from Maxxis with beads that were just too tight. It may just be that specific tire. Ive had 2 identical tires going on the same rims and 1 that was so tight that it took 2 metal levers and alot of cursing to get it on while the other went on by hand like most of them do with proper technique. Maxxis is not perfect. From casings with wobbles of varying degrees to incinsistent bead sizes, it does happen. I'd say in my experience (I buy alot of tires) maybe 1 in every 15 tires has some kind if issue. The good thing is maxxis will replace them if you take it back to where you bought it.
    Yeah its either the DD casing is just a pain when the tire is new, or Aggressors are just a pain when new, or Maxxis sizing was just a bit off. Either way, im glad i got it on and its holding air...

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    These rims feel good from the initial little trail ride i went on. It is a trail close to my house. Only about a mile long without much climbing or descending. The weather hasn't been to good in Nor-cal to take a drive to really put them threw the paces.

They look awesome, and the custom stickers i ordered match my Bronson dead on.

Here are a couple pics of when i just got them put on my bike, not the best photos due to being in my living room...lol

Also i didnt get the logo on the rear rim and tire aligned properly but the rear tire was such a pain to get on. I wasn't about to take it off to center it.

We Are One Composites-20190403_195826.jpgWe Are One Composites-20190403_195852.jpg

AOK
    mtbr member
    Dang! You even color matched the bike stand. That is commitment.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Dang! You even color matched the bike stand. That is commitment.
    I got lucky that they made the stand in a almost exact color. When i seen it, i had to buy it. And its honestly more handy than i thought it would be. I dont even use my Park Tool bike stand most of the time...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Iíve emailed WR1 twice over the past two weeks with simple questions regarding sticker colours and rim tape; and they have not responded. As an wheelset owner, this does not inspire much confidence if things go wrong.

What gives?

Edit: and I got a response one hour after posting this. :/
    Last edited by shoopow; 04-07-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Wierd

high pivot witchcraft
    I suspect they are running flat out right now with the introduction of their new product line (new wheelsets, new products beyond wheelsets) and the commencement of the non-winter biking season in the great white north and elsewhere. Lots of other stuff going on too, including supplying the Kona Factory Team.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 04-11-2019 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I emailed them on Monday regarding a quote I got from them a while back. I had some changes and questions. Still havenít heard back.

Perhaps they are busy at this time. first quote they gave me they were incredibly quick getting back to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Update:

Got some correspondence. If you want colour matched rim decals after the fact (my originals are beat up from normal use), go to stikrd.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think I remember reading or hearing that they are going to Sea Otter. They are probably having to deal with that plus their new line of rims for launch shortly. I could also be slightly delusional.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shoopow View Post
    Update:

Got some correspondence. If you want colour matched rim decals after the fact (my originals are beat up from normal use), go to stikrd.com
    Yeah, i got my decals from becomeunique.pt on instagram. He knocked it out of the park. The color match to my Bronson V3 is dead on. Stikrd is also a great decal company. Cant go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I sent an email 11 days ago referencing the quote they gave me with some questions on the exact build. Still havenít heard back.

I also called at the beginning of the week and then again today to the mobile number.

Still have heard nothing back. I really wanted these rims, but this is giving me reason to rethink. I cant imagine what its like if you have a problem, when its this hard to give them my money.

I really hope this is a strange momentary situation. I might have to just go with the new Zipp rims. Shame, Iíd love to buy Canadian.

Anyone out there deal with these guys? Is this just a strange blip?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    I sent an email 11 days ago referencing the quote they gave me with some questions on the exact build. Still havenít heard back.

I also called at the beginning of the week and then again today to the mobile number.

Still have heard nothing back. I really wanted these rims, but this is giving me reason to rethink. I cant imagine what its like if you have a problem, when its this hard to give them my money.

I really hope this is a strange momentary situation. I might have to just go with the new Zipp rims. Shame, Iíd love to buy Canadian.

Anyone out there deal with these guys? Is this just a strange blip?
    Probably a blip due to Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Iím hoping youíre right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I dealt with Dustin and he was extremely quick getting back to me. I do not know what the problem could be but also suspect Sea Otter. I don't think you're wrong for being concerned though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    I dealt with Dustin and he was extremely quick getting back to me. I do not know what the problem could be but also suspect Sea Otter. I don't think you're wrong for being concerned though.
    I have an old request to purchase as well but Iím not concerned. They are dealing with new products and Sea Otter as well as the typical growing pains of a small company. If I had a significant issue I would call them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hey guys.

I apologize for the delay in response times right now. We have had a key roll in CSR leave the company 1 week before Sea Otter and with all the ramp up to the new product launches and organizing all that happens for Sea Otter I am a bit overwhelmed as the sole guy behind the wheel.
    Good news is we have some great new people coming to the rescue and I will do my best to get to you as fast as I can in the short term.
    We love and appreciate all the support form all of you and I am working really hard to better this situation we are currently in. All I can ask for is your patience during the next 2 weeks while I get the ship back on track.

Cheers

Dustin

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Dustin,

Any chance we can get info on the new rims as well as pricing?

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Anyone know what kind of rim tape comes on the Agent rims. Its a black tape, i was hoping to purchase some as i like it. I did buy some Tesa 4288 which seems like the same tape they use. Should have it tomorrow but thought i would ask...

mtbr member
    I had also sent an email that must have got overlooked with the CSR leaving, just wondering if WR1 will have all the colors of the new Onyx hubs available when they are released. Waiting on the Onyx release to order a new set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey guys.

I apologize for the delay in response times right now. We have had a key roll in CSR leave the company 1 week before Sea Otter and with all the ramp up to the new product launches and organizing all that happens for Sea Otter I am a bit overwhelmed as the sole guy behind the wheel.
    Good news is we have some great new people coming to the rescue and I will do my best to get to you as fast as I can in the short term.
    We love and appreciate all the support form all of you and I am working really hard to better this situation we are currently in. All I can ask for is your patience during the next 2 weeks while I get the ship back on track.

Cheers

Dustin
    Dustin, thanks for the update.

When do you expect to have ordering info for the new bars? I totally donít need one but matching my Agents is important.

battle stag commander
    Do Your thing! Worth the wait!

Hope everything smooths out for you soon. Pumped to see the collab with 22desingz on the bar/stem. Another super innovative company!

Shartacular Spectacular
    These guys are awesome to deal with. Theyíre a small, but growing company and it sounds like the new rollout of rims and bars + Sea Otter + losing a piece of their customer service department has created a ďperfect storm-typeĒ situation. For those feeling frustrated, donít let these short term delays put you off. These guys are awesome and really do care about their customers and the product they put out there. Hang tight while they get caught up, you wonít be disappointed!

In other news, Iím looking forward to when the bars show up on their site! If the numbers match up with what Iím looking for, Iíll be picking up a set or two!
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

high pivot witchcraft
    These guys are awesome to deal with. Theyíre a small, but growing company and it sounds like the new rollout of rims and bars + Sea Otter + losing a piece of their customer service department has created a ďperfect storm-typeĒ situation. For those feeling frustrated, donít let these short term delays put you off. These guys are awesome and really do care about their customers and the product they put out there. Hang tight while they get caught up, you wonít be disappointed!

In other news, Iím looking forward to when the bars show up on their site! If the numbers match up with what Iím looking for, Iíll be picking up a set or two!
    X2 on everything single thing you said. This is coming from a purchaser of Agents and Insiders.

My own list consists of a third set of wheels, this time to go 27.5+ on my Honzo, and 2 sets of bars/stems once they are released.

These guys are totally killing it right now.

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    I wouldnt let this put you off. I just purchased a set of 27.5 Agents a month ago. They forgot something in my order. They sent it right away as soon as i emailed them and also included a pair of WeAreOne socks.

They have been quick to reply to all my emails when i was purchasing the rims. This isnt like them and you can see that it has been a perfect storm. New rims, stem, and bars. Plus a key member leaving. Plus Sea Otter. I am sure they will be back on track in no time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For those of you waiting on an answer on pending questions, someone from WAO replied to me today saying that the guys are still driving back from Sea Otter, and should be back in the shop Thursday to answer questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey guys.

Cheers

Dustin
    File > Automatic Replies > Send Automatic Replies "we are at Sea Otter and really busy we will get back to you soon but there might be a delay" might help mitigate. It's 2019 after all...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    No doubt they are great guys, but Iím a little put off by the fact that there has been ZERO response. Se Otter or not, you can access every call and every email from your phone.

Spring is here and people want to know if they should plan on wheels in 10 days or 4 weeks? Radio silence means you have to move to plan B, because you donít want to find out its another 4 weeks, ten days from now.

Especially if you are like me and you are having your bike built up, meaning I have no rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I finally got a response to my email 18 days later, only to be told the wait for my wheels would not be ten days, but is now at least 3 weeks out. That puts me near May 10th and my new bike would just sit there idle till then.

Iím sure many of you have had good exchanges with the guys, mine did not make me feel like they really wanted my business.

Quick question, if you werenít buying We Are One wheels, who would you buy? I need to find another option and get riding.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I finally got a response to my email 18 days later, only to be told the wait for my wheels would not be ten days, but is now at least 3 weeks out. That puts me near May 10th and my new bike would just sit there idle till then.

Iím sure many of you have had good exchanges with the guys, mine did not make me feel like they really wanted my business.

Quick question, if you werenít buying We Are One wheels, who would you buy? I need to find another option and get riding.
    The new Zipp wheels

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Knight Composites

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

high pivot witchcraft
    On a positive note, I am about to buy my third wheel set from We Are One. That will happen tomorrow. I will also pick up a new bar and stem combo, once they are in production. Likely 2 sets.

Until now, I have not heard of a single complaint about We Are One. And for good reason. Lifetime warranty + designed and manufactured right here. Top shelf products, all for a very reasonable cost.

As for Dustin, I can't think of anyone from whom I have received better, more personalized service. The guy has bent over backwards, more than once. He has patiently helped me get the ball over the goal line a number of times now, with some highly customized orders. Including, most recently, these beauties...

We Are One Composites-fullsizeoutput_c3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    BlackPenguinn,
    Have you purchased the wheels or just looking to get some? I donít remember how long it took for my wheels to show up from WR1 last spring, but it was faster than when I have had Flowís built with Hadleyís which were all in stock.
    If I remember correctly, my rims needed to be cooked, built and then shipped across the country (Iím in Montreal, so no custom delays).
    If you have paid for them, maybe there was a communication break down that is rightfully annoying and you somehow were bypassed but if you are inquiring about a set and havenít purchased, then one would assume you will be served as first come first served.
    Dustin has always been quick with a response, usually the same day and he often is the one answering the phone (at least last season when I would call).
    I would try calling them directly to sort out this mess, as Iím sure Dustin would be able to explain what happened unless there is more to the story that you arenít sharing.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My dealings with them were terrific. Within a day or 2 of the quoted build/ship times. Went with 29 Agents on Hydras with custom decals. Did they actually have your rims/hubs in stock when you physically ordered the wheelset? Guessing there is an underlying availability issue with what items you selected.

Have you also checked with Fanatik? Seems like they stock a lot of their rims and could quickly lace something up...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Odd customer service from them.

My two choices these days are WAO and Santa Cruz Reserve. If you want a wheelset right now, go with S C Reserve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Odd customer service from them.

My two choices these days are WAO and Santa Cruz Reserve. If you want a wheelset right now, go with S C Reserve.
    Iíd still wait for We Are Ones, but if you must, I agree-SC Reserve is in second place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've been waiting on mine a bit (~3 weeks) but talked to them today. They answered my questions, we made a modification to my order, and they said I could expect them to ship next week.

My second choice would have been to do the exact same wheel build but through Fanatik. It was $200+ cheaper getting direct from WAO.

Third choice would have been getting Reserves and having my shop relace a pair of my existing hubs to them, but that would have been probably about cost me net about $500 more ($300 more for wheelset, $200 lost from a wheel sale I was able to do this way).

I'm still happy with my choice. Riding alloy rims for a few weeks isn't the end of the world to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Lots off you guys have had great experiences, so I donít want to drag these guys through the mud for one less than stellar experience and response. But you are asking questions.

Without turning this into a soap opera here are the highlights:

I didnít give them money.

They originally quoted me on the not yet named or released 35mm rim back in January. I was pretty excited. I told them I wouldnít be ordering until closer to the my bike build date (April) as my bikes specs might change (center lock brakes or not, colors for accessories). The quoted ten day turn around was awesome.

March 31st I emailed to get the wheels. I needed to update the hubs, color, spokes, decals. That meant the quote had to be redone with a new link to PayPal. I got no response.

I called the office and mobile number over the next two weeks. I got no response.

We hit day 18 and I thinking it I shouldnít have to work this hard to give someone my money. But I wanted the rims so I sent off an email. I finally got a response.

I was told everything but the decals were in stock, but I would have to wait 3 weeks.

I asked for them sooner as my new bike had no rims (29Ē) and my old bike is a (27.5Ē). I was told it wasnít possible as people were in line ahead of me. To be honest, that annoyed me as I had been trying to have my order filled for 18 days.

Things devolved, there were some sour feelings.

I was then told the hubs werenít in stock. Right up to the end I was still trying to get these wheels, and Iím thinking how hard is it to just say youíre sorry for ignoring a customer for 18 days and you will do everything you can to get the wheels out in two weeks? That would have fixed everything.

They never explained the radio silence but they did acknowledge they ďdropped the ballĒ.

Sad for me, happy for the guys that got their rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I had a good experience but with the product, not the company. I had a wheelbuilder that had a relationship with them build my wheels. I haven't personally had any experience with WAO directly, good or bad. I did wait a long time for the rims as well but it was at least in line with what I was originally quoted, three weeks.

I think it's a shame that some of the smaller companies that have good products can have such hit or miss service. I would imagine it is some combination of not being able to afford dedicated customer service folks and not having any experience or a policy on how to interact with customers. If you get the right person then everything seems great but if you don't then it seems like the company is a black hole of information.

battle stag commander

March 31st I emailed to get the wheels. I needed to update the hubs, color, spokes, decals. That meant the quote had to be redone with a new link to PayPal. I got no response.

you were asking for a set of new wheels before a product release? Interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I got a quote on a new set of rims before they were released and I was trying to have them take my money and buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by planetx88 View Post
    you were asking for a set of new wheels before a product release? Interesting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Has a price even been set for them?
    Iíve been drinking, so please forgive my assholeness!
    It almost sounds like no matter how the situation turns out, you are not going to be satisfied.
    In my limited experience with WR1, if the customer service is/was as bad as you are making it out to be, Iím pretty sure Dustin would be responding with an apology and an explanation for what happened.
    If I was Dustin, Iím pretty sure I would be doing my best to avoid a sale to you as I donít think you would ever be satisfied (good thing Iím not in customer service).
    It looks like they are in a major growth spurt, doing their best to produce Ana amazing product and back it up with what I feel like some of the best warranty and customer service Iíve dealt with within the bike industry (been riding since the early 90ís).

high pivot witchcraft
    ***nvm***
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sounds like the customer service is normally excellent, I can only speak to my experience. Perhaps I caught him on the wrong day and he caught me at my peak annoyance.

- I got a quote for the Convert wheels back in February ($1875 CAD). A fantastic deal. I really, really wanted these wheels, and all of my earlier dealings with Ted were great. The wheels are great and the price is right, thatís why I was still willing to purchase from them after not hearing back after 18 days. Even though I had emailed twice and called 4 times.

- Iím not sure there are many people who would be satisfied with 18 days of radio silence and then another 3 weeks delivery date (because there are orders in line ahead of you).

Had they told me my rims would have been delivered in 3 weeks back 18 days ago, I would have been more than happy. But I was now be looking at a 5.5 week (39 day) delivery time from my email request. That would also mean my brand new bike would be sitting idle for 3 weeks.

To be honest at this point I was fed up with not hearing back or being able to place my order and a little shocked that no apology was offered or a way to expedite the order to make of for the lost time.

- They are apparently going through a huge growth spurt. Iím sympathetic having gone through the same thing in my business life. Iím sure a perfect storm of crap is testing his ability to smile through it.

Iím just a guy who was looking for him to say something like ďSorry man, I have no idea how this happened. Youíve clearly really want our product as you have already been patiently waiting 18 days, lets try and get these out asapĒ.

Anyway, I donít want to keep dragging this up. I think I have covered it ad nauseam. If Dustin wants to reach out thatís cool, otherwise I think Iím looking at Ibis 942ís with the i9 hydra hubs, or take a flier on the new Zipp rims (arrive on Thursday).

The Convert rims look great, hope you guys love them.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Has a price even been set for them?
    Iíve been drinking, so please forgive my assholeness!
    It almost sounds like no matter how the situation turns out, you are not going to be satisfied.
    In my limited experience with WR1, if the customer service is/was as bad as you are making it out to be, Iím pretty sure Dustin would be responding with an apology and an explanation for what happened.
    If I was Dustin, Iím pretty sure I would be doing my best to avoid a sale to you as I donít think you would ever be satisfied (good thing Iím not in customer service).
    It looks like they are in a major growth spurt, doing their best to produce Ana amazing product and back it up with what I feel like some of the best warranty and customer service Iíve dealt with within the bike industry (been riding since the early 90ís).
    Last edited by BlackPenquinn; 04-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The new wheels offering are posted. I like the price drop on the agent. For all Canadian customers, this becomes one of the best offer available on the market, even better than nextie or LB in my opinion. If I can get a north American product for almost the same price as the foreign product, the choice is easy.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    The new wheels offering are posted. I like the price drop on the agent. For all Canadian customers, this becomes one of the best offer available on the market, even better than nextie or LB in my opinion. If I can get a north American product for almost the same price as the foreign product, the choice is easy.
    ^Yup! I got a good deal on the outgoing Outliers as well!
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am considering the newly priced agents but disappointed in the I9 101 as the only hub option as I don't like the sound of I9s. Will they still be doing other hubs? I guess I should email them but I am waiting on a work issue before I spend the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    I am considering the newly priced agents but disappointed in the I9 101 as the only hub option as I don't like the sound of I9s. Will they still be doing other hubs? I guess I should email them but I am waiting on a work issue before I spend the money.
    I am in the same boat. I do not want a hub that is too loud, but check this video. At the end they put grease on the hydra and it is pretty quiet.

https://youtu.be/BvAbmYU1dU4

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I think I remember seeing somewhere that they would build your wheel on the hubs of your choice if you sent them in. This may have changed since they seem to be quite busy with everything.
    Try calling as you mentioned as see what they say.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    I am in the same boat. I do not want a hub that is too loud, but check this video. At the end they put grease on the hydra and it is pretty quiet.

https://youtu.be/BvAbmYU1dU4
    They definitely were willing to build them up on other hubs and I imagine they still are. They ordered the i9ís for my DH wheels as this was not an offering for their stock DH builds, had them within a few days, and had the wheel shipped out within a day of receiving the hubs.
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Anyone have to pay customs duties on these ordering from the US?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTemplar View Post

Nope.
    Yeti SB130 Turq
    Progressive Coil
    WAO Agents with I9s

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes, UPS made me pay $28.75 in import fees (to California).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nope...

mtbr member
    Ordered up a set of the Movement wheels with Agent rims. Now comes the hard part, the waiting. Having used I9 torches for several wheel builds in the past I'm interested to see how they compare to the 101 hubs. 90 points versus 120 points. Not sure if there will be a discernible difference or not.

Shartacular Spectacular

I paid $45 for shipping, but believe that was it.
    The 18í SC Bronson C

18' SC V10

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, I had to write a check to UPS for $117.80 for "brokerage fees". The driver said he'd never seen or heard of this before and had to check with his manager on what to do. I contacted WAO about it. They apologized and said it was an anomaly and that I shouldn't have been charged for it and that the error is on the UPS end. That was on January 8 and WAO said they would refund that amount to my original payment method for the wheels. I didn't see the refund and had follow up a couple of more times. Finally on February 6 I got the refund.

Since there is some customer service talk in this thread, it's probably also worth mentioning my other experience leading up to what's above (both good and bad). I ordered the wheel set on the Black Friday deal on Nov 21, then on Nov 30 sent a follow-up email just checking on a rough timeframe of when to expect them (just wanted to know when to sell my current wheels). They replied 4 days later (Dec 3) saying about 3 weeks due to high volume (I get it, BF sale, small company and all). Then, on Dec 13 they emailed saying they were having trouble getting the DT240s and offered I9s in their place. I declined and said I'd wait. They emailed Dec 19 saying they had 240s in stock and the wheels would ship out soon. The wheels didn't arrive until Jan 8 as mentioned above. That's 7 weeks from order to delivery if you're keeping track!

So, my take so far on WAO is:
    1) The wheels themselves are great! Love the build and ride quality.
    2) Based on my experiences, I admit I am concerned if an issue arises and I'm not sure I'd go this route again with the long waits of replies, updates, shipping issues, etc.

Hopefully they can continue to polish up the service and get it up to the level of the product itself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newman17 View Post
    Yes, I had to write a check to UPS for $117.80 for "brokerage fees". The driver said he'd never seen or heard of this before and had to check with his manager on what to do. I contacted WAO about it. They apologized and said it was an anomaly and that I shouldn't have been charged for it and that the error is on the UPS end. That was on January 8 and WAO said they would refund that amount to my original payment method for the wheels. I didn't see the refund and had follow up a couple of more times. Finally on February 6 I got the refund.

Since there is some customer service talk in this thread, it's probably also worth mentioning my other experience leading up to what's above (both good and bad). I ordered the wheel set on the Black Friday deal on Nov 21, then on Nov 30 sent a follow-up email just checking on a rough timeframe of when to expect them (just wanted to know when to sell my current wheels). They replied 4 days later (Dec 3) saying about 3 weeks due to high volume (I get it, BF sale, small company and all). Then, on Dec 13 they emailed saying they were having trouble getting the DT240s and offered I9s in their place. I declined and said I'd wait. They emailed Dec 19 saying they had 240s in stock and the wheels would ship out soon. The wheels didn't arrive until Jan 8 as mentioned above. That's 7 weeks from order to delivery if you're keeping track!

So, my take so far on WAO is:
    1) The wheels themselves are great! Love the build and ride quality.
    2) Based on my experiences, I admit I am concerned if an issue arises and I'm not sure I'd go this route again with the long waits of replies, updates, shipping issues, etc.

Hopefully they can continue to polish up the service and get it up to the level of the product itself!
    I'm a small business owner and I read a book a while back called "The E-Myth: why most businesses don't work and what to do about it." The gist of it is that "the e-myth" is the myth that most business owners are entrepreneurial business people, when in reality they're mostly craftsmen that have zero business acumen. I've seen this over and over again and I think that is probably what is happening with WR1. Hopefully, as they grow, they will be able to find someone to manage the business side of things.

I'm waiting on a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol and I'm not sure when it will be ready, so I'm not in a huge rush. If the rims still aren't ready when my GG is, I'll cancel the order and go with Derby's, which I've been running on 3 different bikes, since they were first released without a single issue. Also, I'm building my own wheels, so just ordered the rims.

Regarding the brokerage fees: I ship to Canada with UPS and I've heard the same complaint about the brokerage fees from Canadian customers. When it comes time to ship the rims, I may ask if they can ship them with Canadian Post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm a small business owner and I read a book a while back called "The E-Myth: why most businesses don't work and what to do about it." The gist of it is that "the e-myth" is the myth that most business owners are entrepreneurial business people, when in reality they're mostly craftsmen that have zero business acumen. I've seen this over and over again and I think that is probably what is happening with WR1. Hopefully, as they grow, they will be able to find someone to manage the business side of things.

Regarding the brokerage fees: I ship to Canada with UPS and I've heard the same complaint about the brokerage fees from Canadian customers. When it comes time to ship the rims, I may ask if they can ship them with Canadian Post.
    If it helps, I've bought two sets of rims from Dustin.. the first time back when he was still at Nobl, and then again in the black friday sale. He was great to work with both times, got me free replacement decals on the first set of rims when they arrived slightly damaged and was always great to communicate with. The second set I didn't even have the bike yet so I reached out and told him he could kick me to the back of the queue. He thanked me as they had a lot more orders than I think they expected, but still had the wheels to me in 4-5 weeks.

The first set from NOBL I too get hit with ~$100 in duty fees. The second time I asked him if that would happen and he told me that because they were manufactured in Canada and they had a NAFTA cert they were duty free. I got my wheels without any additional cost over what was charged to me at order.

I had been planning to go with SC Reserve wheels, but seeing that they were hand laid in Canada, and with my prior experience with Dustin I snagged these instead. Haven't regretted it one bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    If it helps, I've bought two sets of rims from Dustin.. the first time back when he was still at Nobl, and then again in the black friday sale. He was great to work with both times, got me free replacement decals on the first set of rims when they arrived slightly damaged and was always great to communicate with. The second set I didn't even have the bike yet so I reached out and told him he could kick me to the back of the queue. He thanked me as they had a lot more orders than I think they expected, but still had the wheels to me in 4-5 weeks.

The first set from NOBL I too get hit with ~$100 in duty fees. The second time I asked him if that would happen and he told me that because they were manufactured in Canada and they had a NAFTA cert they were duty free. I got my wheels without any additional cost over what was charged to me at order.

I had been planning to go with SC Reserve wheels, but seeing that they were hand laid in Canada, and with my prior experience with Dustin I snagged these instead. Haven't regretted it one bit.
    I spoke with Dustin on the phone the other day to ask some technical questions. I could tell from his energy that he's pretty slammed.

The website could use a little work as well: there's mention of an FAQ, but it's nowhere to be found, there aren't any details about ERD, there could be a lot more photos and maybe a gallery of bikes with WR1 rims, etc. But, I saw the rims in person on a friend's bike and they were the most beautiful rims that I had ever seen. I love the profile and the fact that they are made by a rider and craftsman. Hopefully they smooth out the business side of things.

These are more attractive then the SC or the NOBL rims IMO. NOBL logos are big and ugly and I don't really like the look of the bulging eyelets on the SC's.

mtbr member
    FYI, my WR1 rims are shipping today. That's 8 business days after placing the order or 10 days total. Less than the 2 weeks that was listed on the website...

Anyway, I'll update after I receive them and build with them, but I'm stoked so far!

mtbr member
    Customer service has been very responsive after ordering a set of wheels. Comments on my sales order have been answered within 24 hours(multiple times). They provided an updated wait time and even rushed my order so I would have them in time for a bike trip. So far they are killing it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my experience ended up being great as well! The rims arrived yesterday and they were very nicely packaged and there were no customs duties. Can't wait to build with them!

I ended up having to order the bar/stem combo as well...

mtbr member
    My wheels just arrived! No duties or fees. The box was in good shape and they were well packaged. Can't wait to mount some tires and shred some trail!

We Are One Composites-img_20190619_134124387.jpg

mtbr member
    Just laced up the wheels. Theyíre much easier to lace than the Derbyís that Iíve had on other bikes, due to the shallower rim depth. Didnít even have to use a nipple driver. Looking good!

mtbr member
    Put it all together last night. The wheels look great. The rear 2.4 Rekon looks tiny compared to the 2.6 XR4 front tire. Unfortunately it's been raining like crazy here so it will be a while before they see any action.

We Are One Composites-new-wheels-rear.jpg

We Are One Composites-new-wheels-side.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Last we heard, WAO was going through some growing pains. Been a couple of months since the last post... anyone care to share their most recent experience?

I have interest in a set of Agents w/101's. Seems everyone is 100% happy with the product, just hoping the equally important customer service side of things is where it should be as well.

I did sent an email, but it's only been a day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast