wanna set up a "commuter wheel"...need rims/rotors suggestion- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

wanna set up a "commuter wheel"...need rims/rotors suggestion

i've been commuting on my knobbys...and, obviously, i don't want to do that. this weekend, i bought a set of road tires and swapped out my knobbys for them.

now...that's great and everything, but i don't want to have to swap them out every wekend when i go out and ride on the trail (or...every OTHER weekend...). so...i'm pricing out a wheel/rotor combo that i could just have a spare of, and put my road tires on there. (i broke a tire lever and popped an innertube in this, my first excursion into changing tires)

obviously, they don't need to be really great quality; it's just a 1.5 mile commute...

got some suggestions? i'll end up overbuying if i just go start looking myself.

these are going on an '06 specialized rockhopper comp (obviously, w/ disc brakes)...any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Dec 2004
    Trying to use two different wheelsets on the same bike can be very problematic. The first major problem comes form having two different cassettes. The cassettes are going to wear at different rates causing issues with drive train component compatibility. The second major issue is that the cassette and disc brake rotors may not sit outwards the same amount from one hub to another hub and this will require you to set-up the disc brakes, rear derailleur, and rear shifter every time you change your wheels.

If it is going to work at all, make sure that you have the EXACT same hubs on both wheelsets. This will position the rotors and cassettes on each wheel as close to the same place as possible. For commuting road use, just get whatever 17mm inside width rim comes with the hubs you need. Also, I would occasionally swap the cassettes between the two wheelsets so they wear at the same rate. This will minimize component compatibility issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyShawn
    i've been commuting on my knobbys...and, obviously, i don't want to do that. this weekend, i bought a set of road tires and swapped out my knobbys for them.

now...that's great and everything, but i don't want to have to swap them out every wekend when i go out and ride on the trail (or...every OTHER weekend...). so...i'm pricing out a wheel/rotor combo that i could just have a spare of, and put my road tires on there. (i broke a tire lever and popped an innertube in this, my first excursion into changing tires)

obviously, they don't need to be really great quality; it's just a 1.5 mile commute...

got some suggestions? i'll end up overbuying if i just go start looking myself.

these are going on an '06 specialized rockhopper comp (obviously, w/ disc brakes)...any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

I have a set of Mavic Crossrides $149.00 set and use the magura wavy rotor that came with my marta sl, my race wheel set is dt swiss 240's with xtr cassatte. On the crossrides I use the same 11-34 only in XT . I use Syntace disc rotor spacers on my commuter set so I do NOT have to mess with my disc setup. by using shimano cassettes on both wheelsets its only a 1/2 turn on the adjuster and I'm good to go. heres a link to the spacers

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757

here's the usa managers info

Craig Hoyt

US Sales Manager

Syntace USA

(p)618.395.6377 x229

(c)618.838.7943

(f)618.395.4711

www.syntaceusa.com

and I use these Michelin XCR road tires they are lite 325 gram and have a folding bead and I use them no tubes with stan's sealent so I have glass and thorn proof also they seem to be wearing pretty good so far !

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/fr...183349&lang=EN

Members who have read this thread: 0