Vittoria - No more Goma?!- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Vittoria - No more Goma?!

Just got notice of Vittoria's "new things" video and it talks about their expansion of the Graphene and 4C technologies. They are adding some larger tires (2.6") to the arsenal and also adding some of the old tires that did not come in 29er to the line-up. However, as I was going through everything it looks like they are no longer doing the GOMA?!

That was seriously my absolute go-to, all-around badass tire! I have been running them for years and was hoping that they would introduce maybe a 2.6" version but really that wasn't a huge deal as the current 2.4" usually ran larger (at least on my i29 rims). Am I just not seeing it on their website?

Definitely excited about the Martello coming in a 29x2.6 as the 2.35" I had on the rear of my trail bike for a couple seasons was awesome though the softer compound did wear quickly once taken to harder terrain (Tahoe Loam vs. Chico volcanic rock).

Barely in control
    Maybe the Goma's durability created low sales. I've been hammering on a set of 2.4 on the all mountain bike for 12 months and they look barely worn.

Someone pointed out on another site that now Vittoria has nothing to compete with the DHF type tires.

It's an odd move.

I think a Goma with slightly taller and squarish side knobs in G+2 and 4C would be a great tire.

Short-Change-Hero
    Right!!! I actually had a pair of the Gomas last me almost 2 seasons (1K+ miles in one season and just under 1k miles in the other) and really I only got rid of them because the side knobs were so torn/worn that I was worried they might start chunking off. Hell, my Martello on the rear was fine after 500+ miles of riding until I rode in the Chico's Bidwell park volcanic garbage and absolutely destroyed it with the amount of braking I was doing (first time riding). And really it still hooked up great but looked like absolute $#*&.

I have queried Vittoria on this but have not received a response as of yet. Hopefully they are doing a slight redesign to it or something. Otherwise they have removed their most incredibly awesome tire and I may have to look elsewhere no (gasp!!)...

mtbr member
    I work at a shop and tried to find them through two distributors.
    No dice. Bummer. My favorite tire.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I have queried Vittoria on this but have not received a response as of yet. Hopefully they are doing a slight redesign to it or something. Otherwise they have removed their most incredibly awesome tire and I may have to look elsewhere no (gasp!!)...
    Don't hold your breath. Vittoria customer service people are a-holes.

My plan for a Goma replacement is a Martello 2.3 on the rear and a 2.6 on the front with some of the transition knobs cut off.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah that was the same setup I was looking at. They did add the Mota to the 29er lineup and other option I was thinking of was the 2.35 Martello front and the 2.35 Gato rear for a bit more XC ish build. Have a 2.4 Barzo in back now and itís ok, not the greatest for my terrain.

Barely in control
    Where is a 2.35 Gato? The 2.2" is a 53mm, which is a 2.08". Also the 2.35 Barzo is a 57mm, which is a 2.2".

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My guess is there's a bit too much overlap between the Goma and Morsa, so they dropped the former. Which sucks since the Goma is my go-to dry weather tire.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Where is a 2.35 Gato? The 2.2" is a 53mm, which is a 2.08". Also the 2.35 Barzo is a 57mm, which is a 2.2".
    I was just going off memory so may have been 2.2"...
    And right, the Goma was really the only tire that was true to size. My current 2.4 measures more than 2.5" and all that I have had over the years seem to come out slightly larger, which I love.

*sigh* So what is a good replacement for the Goma that isn't a Maxxis or Spesh?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    My guess is there's a bit too much overlap between the Goma and Morsa, so they dropped the former. Which sucks since the Goma is my go-to dry weather tire.
    Man I really hope that is not the case because the Morsa makes a horrible front tire and really has received mixed reviews as a rear.

mtbr member
    *sigh* So what is a good replacement for the Goma that isn't a Maxxis or Spesh?
    WTB Vigilante. I'm really digging the Vigilante as a front tire in PNW slop and roots.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Barely in control
    I don't think there is a tire with a high tpi casing, aggressive knobs, harder rubber, and pinch flat protection strip. The Bontrager SE5 has softer side knobs and only 60 tpi.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah the SE5 looks to be the closest tread pattern to the Goma. Looks like I am going to have to spend some money and grab a few sets of the Goma to last me a bit.

@curveball The Vigilante and Trailboss have been on my radar for a bit as something that could potentially be another alternate (should I ever be traveling with the bike and shred a tire). However, like @schulze said, the lower TPI casing kinda sucks though. My terrain is a pretty good mixture of normal High Desert, lots of rocks, some square edges, some sharp edges, some sand, some loam, roots, etc. This is why I love the Goma so much, I have yet to find anything that it truly has had a hard time dealing with (aside from slick wet rock, but then again anything will have issue with that).

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    The Geax Neuron TnT 2.5 was the DHF killer for me. Neuron was almost identical, but had better shaped center knobs than DHF. I do not know why Geax never converted Neuron to Vittoria brand. I wish they would. Yeah, I go through 2 Goma 2.4 TnT front tires every spring and summer, as they can be had for almost 1/2 the DHF price, and they are 97 % as good in grip and maybe tougher than DHF.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Wow! You guys are right, I just checked their website. No more Goma listed there. Vittoria has no 2.5 'ish front 29er tire for serious trail riding (Tahoe/Downieville/Demo Forest/Moab) That is inexcusable! No biggie, I will buy Maxxis DHF 2.5 and since I use matched brand tires on my bikes, They lose sale of Morsa rear. I have tried to push Geax / Vittoria on MTBR for 11 years, trying to get the word out on their quality and great price. I am a huge fan. Probably bought 40-45 tires from them. What a shame. Maxxis tires are awesome, just a bit more money. Maxxis is really controlling a large percentage of the market, and they deserve it, so I am happy to support Maxxis. Maxxis sells tires. I use tires.

mtbr member
    $47 seems to be the lowest price . Got one from Jenson.
    I added a couple power bars to my order to get the $50 free shipping.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah seems like they are starting to go like hotcakes on every website. Seen the numbers dwindle quickly over the last couple days. As much as I hate Spesh/Trek/Bontrager I may have to jump over to the SE5/XR4 tires and give them a shot. New bike will be coming with DHF/DHR on it so I will wear those out. So bummed!

Barely in control
    I had planned on getting some of the e-goma since they have the G+. But I'm sure a replacement tire will be released in the next year or so.

Short-Change-Hero
    Hopefully they are just releasing a revised version in the near future (Sea Otter?) and not getting rid of it all together.

Short-Change-Hero
    After doing some research it looks like the Bontrager XR4 or XR5/XR4 combo is going to be it.. Pretty hard to find a 120tpi casing tire that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (coughmaxxiscoughschwalbecough).

Buddy has the XR4 on his Fuel EX8 and they look pretty much identical to what I am looking for and have pretty good volume. The 2.4" is pretty much what I have been running forever, so going larger to the 2.6" of the XR5 may end up being weird but will probably give that a shot a some point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm surprised there was so much love for the Goma, I hated mine. Mostly just in wet conditions (and it was the non-graphene compound), but I had a few butt-clenching moments before it got donated.

You might check out the Specialized Butcher. They're priced well too.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I'm surprised there was so much love for the Goma, I hated mine. Mostly just in wet conditions (and it was the non-graphene compound), but I had a few butt-clenching moments before it got donated.

You might check out the Specialized Butcher. They're priced well too.
    Really? Never had any issues with the goma after years of riding them. Yeah Vittoria's had their issues with slick(er) conditions like wet rocks or roots, but experienced that with multiple brands in similar situations so never chalked it up to being only a goma specific thing.

Can't do Spesh, hate the brand and their ethics (know that Trek/Bontrager is a small part of them), they are just the big bully on the block and plus local shop that sells them are complete pricks. Would have to travel long distance to grab their stuff elsewhere seeing as they wont sell online. That's two strikes for them there, not gonna even attempt to find the third.

mtbr member
    My rigid steel single speed has Goma's on her, and I have nothing but praise for these tires.

I had no idea they were coveted by others since I bought them for a ridiculously low price.

I see there are some on eBay for sale.

I'm not the best critic of tires though. As long as they hold air and have some tread left, even just a little, I'm stoked.

The Goma's I have seemw to be wearing well.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 03-26-2019 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    WTB Vigilante. I'm really digging the Vigilante as a front tire in PNW slop and roots.
    Vigilante is waaaaay slower than a Goma. The Goma 2.4 is/was about the same (super heavy) weight as a Vigilante 2.35 TCS Tough, though.

I would guess they are positioning the Martello with the new 4C v2 to be the Goma replacement. I like the Morsa fine, even as a front tire, for dry conditions. It sucks in wet conditions and it also sucks if you don't lean hard. If your style or trails require mild lean angles, the Morsa is simply not going to hook up like a Goma.

Short-Change-Hero
    Figured that I would bump this for us Goma lovers...
    If you guys don't follow them, go follow Syd and Macky on YouTube. They are sponsored Vittoria riders and I have followed them for a few years now. Awesome couple, good riders but aren't stupid pro level riders, just seem real down to earth good pro level riders.

Anyways, last couple of their videos (starting around Sea Otter time) I noticed that they both have an unmarked front tire on their trail bikes and xc race bikes. Even commented on the "prototype" tire they have been running and they have commented back saying they can't say anything YET but something new is coming..

Anyways, most recent video on hardtail riding in Gooseberry Mesa, at about 2:30 into the video you get a good look at the front on Syd's bike. From what I can tell it looks like a revised Goma pattern, still has the same external lug pattern and 2-block center chevron that we all know and love. However, it kinda looks like Vittoria may have added some smaller lugs between the center chevrons that are in the slight vague/transition area between center and outside lugs. Something similar to the transition lugs seen on the current Barzo and Peyote.

https://youtu.be/6pi1-1nCsnA

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    at about 2:30 into the video you get a good look at the front on Syd's bike.
    1:08

mtbr member
    Excellent news!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Aha!!! I knew I had seen a better, clearer image of it!! Thanks for that!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nope, do not want. If I wanted garbage transition knobs, I'd buy an Ardent.
    Looks like I'll have to stock up on the old Gomas or switch over to something else.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    6:17

Barely in control
    Looks like I'll have to stock up on the old Gomas or switch over to something else.
    Agreed.

It's an Agarro

Barely in control
    I ordered two eGoma 2.4 and another Goma 2.4 TNT from bike-components but I think the package got lost in the mail. Last tracking update was 3 weeks ago.

Well the good thing about trans knobs is that you can cut them off if you want. What I don't like is the Martello side knobs. They are too large and squishy to cut into dirt. Morsa side knobs are the best for dry riding.

mtbr member
    I have to admit that the idea of adding transition knobs to the Goma leaves me less than excited about using this revised Goma (if the photo above is an accurate snapshot of the final design) as a front tire. I was a big fan of the original Goma's combination of excellent volume, cornering traction, braking traction, rolling resistance, durability, and weight (I used the non-TNT folding version). It was my preferred front tire for my mid travel trail bike (I use an e13 TRSr as my front tire on my longer travel trail bike.) If the revised Goma retains the excellent volume of the original 29 x 2.4, I may consider using the revised Goma as a rear tire (where I don't mind transition knobs). Based on the photo above, the revised Goma simply doesn't appear to check the same boxes for me as the original version. In any case, I look forward to reading folk's reviews after the tire comes out.

Short-Change-Hero
    Agreed.

It's an Agarro

Agarro??? Where did you find that information and spy shot?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I have to admit that the idea of adding transition knobs to the Goma leaves me less than excited about using this revised Goma (if the photo above is an accurate snapshot of the final design) as a front tire. I was a big fan of the original Goma's combination of excellent volume, cornering traction, braking traction, rolling resistance, durability, and weight (I used the non-TNT folding version). It was my preferred front tire for my mid travel trail bike (I use an e13 TRSr as my front tire on my longer travel trail bike.) If the revised Goma retains the excellent volume of the original 29 x 2.4, I may consider using the revised Goma as a rear tire (where I don't mind transition knobs). Based on the photo above, the revised Goma simply doesn't appear to check the same boxes for me as the original version. In any case, I look forward to reading folk's reviews after the tire comes out.
    From the above, it seems to sound like it may be a whole new tire. If that is true then maybe they are only doing slight revisions to add the 4C/G2.0 compounds to the tire. I don't personally find the open transition as vague as some tires I have ridden in the past, this has proven as the main reason why everyone seems to love these at front tires.

However, I don't understand the gripe everyone with the transition knobs in the front with regards to "dry" terrain? Honestly, I have been running the Goma as a front tire for close to 7yrs now and never strayed. On the rear I have run everything from the Barzo, Gato, Goma, Martello and Mezcal and liked them all for different climates. With my new GG The Smash I tried the Minion DHF as everyone said that would be the one of the best substitutes for the Goma but found that it either had to be upright or slammed over to really get adequate traction in my terrain, where as the Goma has traction for days!!! So the spare Goma that I had got put on The Smash after about the 5th ride.

I do agree though that I found the Martello's outside knobs to be a bit too soft and they quickly got destroyed in rough terrain (specifically after a long ride in Chico's Bidwell park). I am interested to see what the tire ends up being positioned as in their line-up. Was thinking once I wear out the Goma and Aggressor combo I will maybe do a Martello upfront and Barzo or Gato in the rear.

mtbr member
    It looks like backcountry.com still has the non-TNT and TNT versions of the Goma.

Non-TNT version of 29 x 2.4 Goma: https://www.backcountry.com/vittoria...I5aW4tdGlyZXM=

TNT Version of 29 x 2.4 Goma: https://www.backcountry.com/vittoria...lpbi10aXJlcw==

Barely in control
    Agarro??? Where did you find that information and spy shot?
    The Agarro was covered by bikerumor: https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/13/vit...ain-bike-tire/

I don't like transition knobs because 1. I rarely ride berms so I can lean my bike as much as I want so a dead zone doesn't matter to me and 2. I ride a lot of loose pebbles and need the open spaces for traction. You haven't experienced the worst of "loose over hard" until you're cornering on a limestone slab covered in marble sized bits of limestone!

Another place the Martello fails is over leaves. The knobs are too soft to punch through. As a rear it's tolerable I guess.

Short-Change-Hero
    The Agarro was covered by bikerumor: https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/13/vit...ain-bike-tire/

I don't like transition knobs because 1. I rarely ride berms so I can lean my bike as much as I want so a dead zone doesn't matter to me and 2. I ride a lot of loose pebbles and need the open spaces for traction. You haven't experienced the worst of "loose over hard" until you're cornering on a limestone slab covered in marble sized bits of limestone!

Another place the Martello fails is over leaves. The knobs are too soft to punch through. As a rear it's tolerable I guess.
    Huh, interesting... remember reading about the new CX tires but didn't see the Agarro in there. Must have just missed it completely.

Looking at it a bit closer, kinda wish the side knobs were a little bigger. I can see what you are saying for the transition knobs getting in the way of situations like you are talking about, which you are correct in that we don't really have that here. Though there are a few, smaller berms what I normally ride does not have berms and only a few trails that I ride more than a handful of times have them. Depending on compounds, sizes, etc. I am interested in the Agarro as both front and rear.

But I do agree, a Goma replacement it is not.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I totally agree. I will not use front tire with transition knobs. Vittoria is blowing it!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Neuron !! Where are you?

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I havenít ridden it but when I saw a Panaracer Romero I thought the tread pattern looked a lot like the Goma. Heavier than the Goma, available in 27.5 or 29, 2.4 or 2.6.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    I havenít ridden it but when I saw a Panaracer Romero I thought the tread pattern looked a lot like the Goma. Heavier than the Goma, available in 27.5 or 29, 2.4 or 2.6.
    Yeah or could be a On-One Chunky Monkey. Hopefully Vittoria will keep the Goma around, interested to see what the Agarro is like in person. If it keeps the same "true to size" capabilities of the Goma and comes in a 2.4 or larger that would be awesome.