Vittoria Mazza - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vittoria Mazza

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    have completed 4 rides on my mazza agaro combo so far .
    on at least 2 of these rides the front tire has washed out totally mid corner
    tonight result in quite a bad crash otb
    the rear tire seems pretty good but i am not sure on the mazza
    I was running dhr2 2.4 up front with a rekon 2.4 rear before i switched to these and never had an issue with loosing the front

mtbr member
    What kind of conditions and bike were you on? Rim IW?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    perfect conditions really slightly soft ground
    30mm int rims
    19 f 22r psi
    29 wheels

mtbr member
    Dang

Your bike sucks
    Anyone find a reasonable deal for the Mazza? The enduro casing 2.6s are discounted but can't find a similar price on the trail casings. 27.5 if it matters.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Anyone find a reasonable deal for the Mazza? The enduro casing 2.6s are discounted but can't find a similar price on the trail casings. 27.5 if it matters.
    Huh? Discountinued already?

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

Discounted... as in, priced lower than MSRP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Sorry I misread

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel366940 View Post
    have completed 4 rides on my mazza agaro combo so far .
    on at least 2 of these rides the front tire has washed out totally mid corner
    tonight result in quite a bad crash otb
    the rear tire seems pretty good but i am not sure on the mazza
    I was running dhr2 2.4 up front with a rekon 2.4 rear before i switched to these and never had an issue with loosing the front
    Interesting. I haven't had any issue running it as a front with Agarro rear. But maybe we are riding different conditions. I also think it likes to be leaned.

Your bike sucks
    Yeah - discounted not discountinued

Been 20% off at backcountry (for example) for a while - $56

https://www.backcountry.com/vittoria...lyZXMtdHViZXM=

Wouldn't mind trying the trail ones but @ $70 - I'm prob just going to get some DHFs which are my current number 1 and much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Yeah - discounted not discountinued

Been 20% off at backcountry (for example) for a while - $56

https://www.backcountry.com/vittoria...lyZXMtdHViZXM=

Wouldn't mind trying the trail ones but @ $70 - I'm prob just going to get some DHFs which are my current number 1 and much cheaper.
    Well, you can get pretty much any Vittoria's enduro / xc tire for $45 or less here in Europe

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to try Mazza / Martello combo for local rough enduro/dh trails. Can't find Martello 29x2.6 in enduro casing - does it actually exists? Or even Mazza / Mazza with enduro in rear for some serious downhill days.

For more flow-like trails I would like to try Martello front but what Vittoria tire I should boot on rear? Currently riding Dissector 2.6 / Aggressor 2.5 but really interested in trying something new.
    Agarro in the rear is what you want. Thank me later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Interesting. I haven't had any issue running it as a front with Agarro rear. But maybe we are riding different conditions. I also think it likes to be leaned.

both times it washed out were mid corner on sweeping bends where the bike is leaned over the most .
    comparing it to my dhr the side knobs on the mazza sit more pointing up and you can see the sidewall , on the dhr they stick out to the side more and you cannot see the side wall when sat on the bike .
    From this i would say that once i get the bike over to a certain point it lets go as the side knobs go under and i run onto the sidewall more

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    today i spent 4 hours in the hospital torn rotator cuff damaged shoulder due to the crash last night !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    both times it washed out were mid corner on sweeping bends where the bike is leaned over the most .
    comparing it to my dhr the side knobs on the mazza sit more pointing up and you can see the sidewall , on the dhr they stick out to the side more and you cannot see the side wall when sat on the bike .
    From this i would say that once i get the bike over to a certain point it lets go as the side knobs go under and i run onto the sidewall more
    What width rim. I have 30mm ID.

mtbr member
    Damn!
    Now you've got me worried. I've had some Spesh tires of yesteryear where it was easy to lean over onto casing as the tread did not wrap far enough around. The effect was immediate loss of traction. I tend to prefer sidelugs that point straight up vs on plane though like E-13 and wild rock R2's.

I've got my Mazza but not mounted up yet. The detail fit & finish is second to no other tire I've ever handled. I'll have to take it easy first couple of turns to make sure now

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I've had the same experience running a mazza agarro 2.6 combo running on 35mm id wheels. I tried agarros front and rear and while I had less grip, it was more predictable mid corner. The mazza/aggaro combo gripped really well going up technical loose mixed surface, braking up front was great and I was able to climb better, but mid corner they were less predicable on those turns where the apex of the corner was harder pack compared to the looser entrance. This caused me to feel like I was understeering a lot more since at first I thought I had more grip. Running f18 r20 psi at my 180lbs weight with gear.

Going to try adding/substracting a 1 or 2 psi up to see if that changes. I might try a martello or tioga edge 22 next but I just feel well, ocd weird, having a the edge 2.5 up front and a 2.6 in the rear. I haven't seen actual etrto width of the edge 22.
    Last edited by picocassette; 07-19-2020 at 04:54 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Anyone have compared Hellkat Pro vs Mazza head to head? Hellkat is another tire I really interested to try front and it seems to have a good reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I will chime in on the "wash-out" characteristic. I have about 80 miles on these tires: mostly dry, loose over hard, loose, some hardpack, and generally steep terrain (10-20% grade descents average).

I have had 3-4 "washouts" that felt more akin to falling in the transition channel vs. a full wash out. I.e. I was always able to recover the front, never went over. I haven't ridden a DHF in a year or so, but I would equate the transition vagueness to that feeling. I can't say if it's better or worse to a DHF, however. My last two tires (Specialized Grid Trail Butcher 2.3 and a 2.5 Assegai Maxx Terra) did not exhibit those traits; so it's more noticeable.

Red flag? Not really. It's manageable, and only happens occasionally. The upside of this tire is that the cornering support even at relatively lower pressure is excellent, compound seems dialed for grip and RR, and tire feels "lively" for lack of a better word. Really digging it right now. Keep in mind that this is for the 2.4 variant. I am not sure if the 2.6 would exhibit more of a vague transition or less.

I am thinking of throwing a beefier rear on for some upcoming park/big mountain riding, though. Agarro punches above it's weight, but I think for truly loose, deep, steep sketch, I would be better served with a bit more cornering and braking knobs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    I will chime in on the "wash-out" characteristic. I have about 80 miles on these tires: mostly dry, loose over hard, loose, some hardpack, and generally steep terrain (10-20% grade descents average).

I have had 3-4 "washouts" that felt more akin to falling in the transition channel vs. a full wash out. I.e. I was always able to recover the front, never went over. I haven't ridden a DHF in a year or so, but I would equate the transition vagueness to that feeling. I can't say if it's better or worse to a DHF, however. My last two tires (Specialized Grid Trail Butcher 2.3 and a 2.5 Assegai Maxx Terra) did not exhibit those traits; so it's more noticeable.

Red flag? Not really. It's manageable, and only happens occasionally. The upside of this tire is that the cornering support even at relatively lower pressure is excellent, compound seems dialed for grip and RR, and tire feels "lively" for lack of a better word. Really digging it right now. Keep in mind that this is for the 2.4 variant. I am not sure if the 2.6 would exhibit more of a vague transition or less.

I am thinking of throwing a beefier rear on for some upcoming park/big mountain riding, though. Agarro punches above it's weight, but I think for truly loose, deep, steep sketch, I would be better served with a bit more cornering and braking knobs.
    Yup, reminds me of a 2.5 dhf as well. I haven't tried the 2.6 dhf on a 35 id width. I could never get comfortable with that transition area with a dhf. But once you know how to ride it with looser and mixed conditions and it hooks in, I bet it just grips. I'm still looking for that Assegai style continuous grip, even one with a bit less overall grip, without the weight.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    Iíve been running Mazzas front and back (2.4, enduro rear, trail front) for ~85mi and Iíve definitely noticed the front not digging into loose terrain while cornering. Wednesday I came off a drop into a little catch berm and lost the front wheel entirely. I went ahead and ordered a 2.6 for the front to get a bigger contact patch. Weíll see how it goes. If it still feels sketchy on loose, flat turns Iíll go back to the Assegai/DHR2 setup I was running last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by codahale View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a 2.6 for the front to get a bigger contact patch. Weíll see how it goes.
    2.6 is undersized, between 2.4 and 2.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    my issues were loss of traction , not going through transition zone i was past that point before it happened .
    I dont think i will have the confidence to push the front after this incident and the previous near misses so i will be going back to my dhr2 once my shoulder heals .

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    2.6 is undersized, between 2.4 and 2.5.
    My 2.4 measures 2.38 at the casing and the 2.6 measures 2.55 at the casing. This is on a 30mm ID rim. That seems entirely reasonable to me.

Thicc Member
    My 2.4 measures 2.38 at the casing and the 2.6 measures 2.55 at the casing. This is on a 30mm ID rim. That seems entirely reasonable to me.
    At what pressure? And you used calipers?

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    At what pressure? And you used calipers?
    The rear is 2.4/enduro, probably at 25-26psi. The front is 2.6/trail, probably at 35psi. Iím still letting it seat, having installed it yesterday. And yes, calipers. With both 2.4s, I was running 25/27psi f/r. With the 2.6 I imagine Iíll start at 24psi. If Iíve got time tomorrow Iíll curb check that and see how it feels.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    my issues were loss of traction , not going through transition zone i was past that point before it happened .
    I dont think i will have the confidence to push the front after this incident and the previous near misses so i will be going back to my dhr2 once my shoulder heals .
    I hope your recovery goes well and youíre back on the bike soon. I partially tore my rotator cuff in Ď18 and it sucks. Physical therapy works, though, if your PT understands your goals and you put in the work. Also a good time to get an indoor trainer and spin while you watch TV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My 2.6 Mazza is 2.48" at the widest tread point on a 33mm ID wheel. I run it at 20 psi but it's probably 17-18 psi sitting in the garage for 2 weeks.
    I notice no dead zone but honestly that's true of every tire.
    *edited - pumped up to my riding pressure of 20psi and it was exactly 2.5"
    I consider that the sweet spot spot for a front aggressive tire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    I fiddled around with the 2.6 Mazza yesterday, but the extra width on my Grade 300 rims is mostly in the casing. The tread isnít much wider than the 2.4, and I was plenty happy with the volume of the 2.4s. I really just want more aggressive cornering lugs, so Iím back to my old Assegai/DHR2 EXO+ combo for now.

I liked the Mazzas on the smoother half of my local trails, but the more blown out, dusty, sandy, and loose things get around here, the sketchier they feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    My 2.6 Mazza is 2.48" at the widest tread point on a 33mm ID wheel. I run it at 20 psi but it's probably 17-18 psi sitting in the garage for 2 weeks.
    I notice no dead zone but honestly that's true of every tire.
    *edited - pumped up to my riding pressure of 20psi and it was exactly 2.5"
    I consider that the sweet spot spot for a front aggressive tire.

I guess that's the difference between the 2.4 and 2.6s. My 2.4 measures 2.44 at the widest point of the casing

Thicc Member
    I fiddled around with the 2.6 Mazza yesterday, but the extra width on my Grade 300 rims is mostly in the casing. The tread isnít much wider than the 2.4, and I was plenty happy with the volume of the 2.4s. I really just want more aggressive cornering lugs, so Iím back to my old Assegai/DHR2 EXO+ combo for now.

I liked the Mazzas on the smoother half of my local trails, but the more blown out, dusty, sandy, and loose things get around here, the sketchier they feel.
    Get a 2.8 Martello if you can. On a 36mm rim it's exactly 2.6 in casing and tread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have decided I'm going back to the 2.6 Martello. I'm just going to keep it real fresh unlike the last one that I waited till traction had fallen off and then I got hurt losing the front.
    The slight improvement the Mazza provides in really loose rock doesn't make up for it being slower, pretty much everywhere else.
    The Mazza is just a better Assagai imo and fills that roll well.
    Of course i wonder if the faster rolling e-Mazza might be the sweet spot for me.
    Still, the Martello is the only tire I ever rode that seemed without fault for about the first 15 rides before I began to find a few small flaws.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I guess that's the difference between the 2.4 and 2.6s. My 2.4 measures 2.44 at the widest point of the casing
    My 2.6" mazza is 2.55" on a 35mm inner/41mm outer rim with 19 psi.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    I rode my Assegai/DH2 combo this morning and Iím sticking with them. They feel a little more draggy on long climbs, but for the terrain around here (Fort Collins, CO) they dig in and stay dug in. I wasnít pushing particularly hard today nor was I particularly fresh, but I tied a couple of PRs and came close to five or six others. More importantly, the entire time I felt totally in control, especially around the fast, tight, loose, flat corners which are ubiquitous around here.

I put 85mi/13h of riding into the Mazzas, which I feel like is a fair shake. The best way I can describe them is as if someone took a DHF, improved the siping, improved the carcass, way improved the rubber, and moved the cornering lugs in a little. The result is a good tire which doesnít have the same cornering transition trust fall as the DHF, but also loses traction at extreme lean angles. If your trails have nicely cambered turns and if the dirt you ride has forgiving traction, I can totally see how the Mazzas would be great. But for me, the make-or-break moment for a tire is how it feels on any of the hundreds of off-camber kitty-litter-and-marbles turns on my local trails. And the Mazzas are out for me.

(The Assegai 2.5WT EXO+ 3C MaxTerra measures exactly 2.5in at the tread and the DHR2 2.4WT EXO+ 3C MaxTerra measures exactly 2.4in at the tread, too.)

Bodhisattva
    I rode my Assegai/DH2 combo this morning and Iím sticking with them. They feel a little more draggy on long climbs, but for the terrain around here (Fort Collins, CO) they dig in and stay dug in. I wasnít pushing particularly hard today nor was I particularly fresh, but I tied a couple of PRs and came close to five or six others. More importantly, the entire time I felt totally in control, especially around the fast, tight, loose, flat corners which are ubiquitous around here.

I put 85mi/13h of riding into the Mazzas, which I feel like is a fair shake. The best way I can describe them is as if someone took a DHF, improved the siping, improved the carcass, way improved the rubber, and moved the cornering lugs in a little. The result is a good tire which doesnít have the same cornering transition trust fall as the DHF, but also loses traction at extreme lean angles. If your trails have nicely cambered turns and if the dirt you ride has forgiving traction, I can totally see how the Mazzas would be great. But for me, the make-or-break moment for a tire is how it feels on any of the hundreds of off-camber kitty-litter-and-marbles turns on my local trails. And the Mazzas are out for me.

(The Assegai 2.5WT EXO+ 3C MaxTerra measures exactly 2.5in at the tread and the DHR2 2.4WT EXO+ 3C MaxTerra measures exactly 2.4in at the tread, too.)
    Thank you for this review.
    i'm also in Fort Collins. Assegai has been my front tire for the past two seasons (since release). I've found nothing better for our current loose blown out Front Range crud. I was wondering how Mazza would work but it sounds like I'm not missing out on anything.

After riding DHF exclusively for years, Assegai was a revelation. DHF is great when things are packed down (like up in the high country) but Assegai is clearly better this time of year.

Thicc Member
    Since the casing is undersized, it might be that you guys are using this tire on rims that are too wide. The tread is squared off. I'd like to see it on a 25mm rim. I bet it does better.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Since the casing is undersized, it might be that you guys are using this tire on rims that are too wide. The tread is squared off. I'd like to see it on a 25mm rim. I bet it does better.
    If you want to run a 2.6Ē enduro tire on a 25mm rim, go for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Another Front Ranger here and I echo your thoughts exactly. Front traction-wise the Mazza isn't terrible, but I still put the Assegai and DHRII ahead of it - with any extra weight/drag worth it (again, on the front). It slips around and just doesn't give that locked in grip feeling both of the Maxxis do. I've been using a 2.4 Mazza on a 30mm IW.

Another strange thing I've had with the Mazza (as well as the 2.35 Martello on the rear), is that I haven't been able to get the bead 100% set and airtight. It'll hold at first, but after 24 hours it will be flat; I lose around 3-4 psi during a 2 hour ride. I'm almost certain I'm losing pressure around the bead as I've cleaned everything multiple times and can only see sealant residue there. Tried re-taping both rims with the exact same result. Never experienced this issue with tires before.

I wanted to experiment with the Michelin Wild Enduro, but with races coming up, need to go with tried/true Maxxis once the Vittorias are worn.

Look Pro, Go Slow
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    I wanted to experiment with the Michelin Wild Enduro, but with races coming up, need to go with tried/true Maxxis once the Vittorias are worn.
    I ran the Wild Enduros before I tried the Mazzas. I liked them pretty well -- think Assegai/Aggressor combo in MaxxGrip -- but they were completely ragged after 175mi. They did well on spring hero dirt (but then, what doesnít) but got so packed up with mud that it took 30 minutesí worth of scrubbing under a hose to clear the tread. On trails where the soil has more humus and litter, I think theyíd be spectacular.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I ran the Wild Enduros before I tried the Mazzas. I liked them pretty well -- think Assegai/Aggressor combo in MaxxGrip -- but they were completely ragged after 175mi. They did well on spring hero dirt (but then, what doesnít) but got so packed up with mud that it took 30 minutesí worth of scrubbing under a hose to clear the tread. On trails where the soil has more humus and litter, I think theyíd be spectacular.
    Every time I want to give a try to Wild Enduros, I read new comment about how fast they fade. I wanted to get them for local bikepark which has a mixed rocky terrain with a lot of mud on rainy days. Assegai / DHR2 is the most regular combo people are riding here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Every time I want to give a try to Wild Enduros, I read new comment about how fast they fade. I wanted to get them for local bikepark which has a mixed rocky terrain with a lot of mud on rainy days. Assegai / DHR2 is the most regular combo people are riding here.
    Regarding Wild Enduros, I would not recommend them for bike park use.
    They will wear out real fast under bike park abuse.
    I would almost consider them pure competition tires, they are unmatched by anything I've tried so far for mixed conditions, but they wear fast.
    However the combination of traction and rolling speed is hard to beat.

Back on topic, just put in an order on Mazza/Martello in 2.6 and enduro casings.
    I wanted something a bit faster rolling than my current Michelin DH34 f/r setup, which is like pedaling with two boat anchors out, though the grip is almost absurd.
    Hope the Vittorias will give me the lower rolling resistance and extra cushioning against rocks that I'm after.

Your bike sucks
    I have decided I'm going back to the 2.6 Martello.
    Still, the Martello is the only tire I ever rode that seemed without fault for about the first 15 rides before I began to find a few small flaws.
    It's funny. I think I originally put Vittoria on my radar when I read their product release and think I remember you saying you loved the Martello on PB or mtbr. Anyway - somehow that morphed into me remembering 'mazza' as best ever.. Long story short, I landed on the Martello again quite accidentally and it's a very good choice for me. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Same here

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yep, I'm back on the Martello 2.6 and am loving it straight away again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yesterday I went for a ride and try Mazza (F), Martello (R) together with my buddy. What we have noticed riding back to back that Mazza requires good skill. Due to very expressed transition line between center and side knobs you need to lean bike at certain angle and push it hard with your handlebars down into the ground. This requires good cornering skills and weighting yourself towards the front with strong hands. I think it is not for average rider as I am. If not ridden strong it might result in lack of grip and eventually crash.

This is why I see people turning back to Martello front, because there is a lot more knobs in the transition line to support you while cornering. On the other side aggressive riders would be able to like more the clear distinction between center and side behavior of a tire, as it gives more predictability.

I will be trying to slow down and relearn how my bike handles while riding this tire setup for some time. If I would not like it I will be searching for something else (maybe Assegai/Aggressor).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I mean it is essentially a DHF 2.0 in Vittoria rubber, so that's not surprising that it feels like that too you.

I notice much less of a dead spot than the DHF 2.5 exo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've not noticed the dead spot on any tires, but I typically lean over a good bit more than most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've not noticed the dead spot on any tires, but I typically lean over a good bit more than most.

This is my experience too. I think it's a psychological thing for people seeing that gap between the center and cornering knobs. That gap let's the cornering knobs dig in, if there were tread there the tires would float on the surface and the corner knobs can't dig in as deep. If your trails are hard packed with nothing loose for the tire to bite into you want something with tread in that intermediate zone.

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread to see how people like the Mazza. Haven't tried Vitorria on my mtb yet but I think Mazza front and Agarro rear is going to be my next setup. Their road bike tires with Graphene do hold up to cutting noticably better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    This is my experience too. I think it's a psychological thing for people seeing that gap between the center and cornering knobs. That gap let's the cornering knobs dig in, if there were tread there the tires would float on the surface and the corner knobs can't dig in as deep. If your trails are hard packed with nothing loose for the tire to bite into you want something with tread in that intermediate zone.

I've been keeping a close eye on this thread to see how people like the Mazza. Haven't tried Vitorria on my mtb yet but I think Mazza front and Agarro rear is going to be my next setup. Their road bike tires with Graphene do hold up to cutting noticably better.
    I have a great condition 29 x 2.6 Mazza (used) & a brand new 29 x 2.35 Agarro in the packaging you can have both shipped in the USA for $85.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    Another Front Ranger here and I echo your thoughts exactly. Front traction-wise the Mazza isn't terrible, but I still put the Assegai and DHRII ahead of it - with any extra weight/drag worth it (again, on the front). It slips around and just doesn't give that locked in grip feeling both of the Maxxis do. I've been using a 2.4 Mazza on a 30mm IW.
    How wide does the 2.4 measure on 30mm rims? I am running the 2.6 on 30mm IW rims and compared to the DHR2 it replaced I find the Mazza locks into corners much better and I am able to lean further than I am used to. I do notice a very slight loss in braking traction and bit of straight line vagueness but the gain in cornering traction is noticeable. That being said the casing width is closer to 2.4 @ 21 psi on my rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a great condition 29 x 2.6 Mazza (used) & a brand new 29 x 2.35 Agarro in the packaging you can have both shipped in the USA for $85.

I would take that in a heart beat but I'm on 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just threw on Mazza/Martello on my full suss, haven't really put them to test test on any trails yet, just hit the local jumps so far.
    2.6 on 30 mm internal rims look pretty good, saw people saying they were a bit small on size, so I sized up to get a more round profile.
    Will put up some pictures of the tires mounted and some thoughts on performance after riding them a bit, they might grow a bit first few days.

mtbr member
    I was pretty excited about the Mazza, and I'm glad this thread exists because now I'm not so sure. I rode a Barzo rear, Goma front combo for years until they discontinued the Goma, which was probably my all time favorite tire. I switched to a couple other companies for a season or two and then came back and have been running a Martello front Agarro rear. Now they discontinued the Martello.

Honestly, I wish Vittoria would settle on something and stop dicking with their models so much. I understand innovation, but it's so often at this point that I just feel like a test bunny every season. I love the TNT casing but after this Martello dies I'm going to start trying out some other brands again to hopefully get some consistency. I live in the desert and wear through tires fairly quickly, so I need a least a little consistency.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I was pretty excited about the Mazza, and I'm glad this thread exists because now I'm not so sure. I rode a Barzo rear, Goma front combo for years until they discontinued the Goma, which was probably my all time favorite tire. I switched to a couple other companies for a season or two and then came back and have been running a Martello front Agarro rear. Now they discontinued the Martello.

Honestly, I wish Vittoria would settle on something and stop dicking with their models so much. I understand innovation, but it's so often at this point that I just feel like a test bunny every season. I love the TNT casing but after this Martello dies I'm going to start trying out some other brands again to hopefully get some consistency. I live in the desert and wear through tires fairly quickly, so I need a least a little consistency.
    Where did you see they discontinued the Martello? If that's the case, I better stalk up! I'm going to try a Mazza on front but I'm VERY impressed with the Martello as an all around tire.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I ...have been running a Martello front Agarro rear. Now they discontinued the Martello...
    Where did you get this info? Itís on The Vittoria website and they just rolled out the E-Martello so my bet is there is no fact in that statement.

mtbr member
    I must have been misinformed. I thought an article I read said that the Mazza was effectively replacing the Martello. I may be going crazy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeah... the Martello is not discontinued... they are out of stock in a lot of the casing/size combos but all say coming soon in those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Covid has caused everything (especially Ike parts) to go out of stock with longer than normal lead times to restock.

I really like my Mazza front. It's a good DHF like tire.

I also really like my 2.6 Agarro front 2.35 Agarro rear on my hardtail. The 2.6 Agarro has a lot of traction and rolls really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Went bike park shredding this weekend, and I'm pretty happy with my Mazza/Martello combo in 2.6, with the only negative being a lack of braking traction in really dusty loose conditions.
    I'm aware that this isn't what the Martello is designed for, so it's not really something I can fault the tire for, just an observation, as I use this setup as a general do anything combo.
    Cornering felt very good on most surfaces with the exception of some moon dust at the top of the mountain, but there had been about 2 weeks with no rain, so I wouldn't expect any tire to not wash out a bit on those corners, was actually quite fun to go full 2 wheel drift through some of the corners.

The Mazza impressed me greatly as a front tire, with ample grip in pretty much any situation I could put it in, and so far there's no visible wear and tear, so that's very nice.

Will be riding one of my local faves tomorrow, which is highly varied with lots of rocks and roots with some mud that never seems to dry up no matter what, will be a perfect proving ground to see if it's the all round tire combo that I'm looking for, or if Michelin can keep resting on the throne.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    100 miles in on the 2.6" Mazza, and I love it.

Had 4 days of solid riding in a row, with 85 miles and 12,000ft of climbing/descending, over mostly dry terrain - grassy off-camber, dry, dusty and loose rocks and dirt, big bouldery jank, steep dry switchbacks, steep 1ft deep dry leaves on switchbacks... basically every single dry condition out there, along with a tiny bit of damp trails and mud.

Running 18psi with a rimpact insert on the 2.6 Mazza (with 22psi on a rear 2.35 martello, also with an insert), not a single loss of traction/slide/moment - just grip and confidence all day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Vittoria Mazza

Had 2.6 29 Mazza on front for about 6 weeks now. I am really liking it. I am coming from Hans Dampf 2.6 which I liked, and havenít noticed any extra RR but do feel more grip and better damping from rubber. Its done well on home trails which are dry rocky, ledges. Just back from 7 rides in CO and it shined on extended DH runs through dry loose dirt, mud and wet (but mud there is mostly gritty). It also performed very well on high speed trails of Trestle. Never lost grip or slid out. Paired it with Agarro 2.6 rear which I like on home trails. But, I put Nobby Nic 2.6 back on rear before trip, especially for braking. Glad I did. Actually love the combo. Really like the NN rear only drawback is it wears a bit too quickly for my liking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    100mi + 30k descending - Mazza/ Agarro combo did really well! I was concerned about the Agarro as this place is fully of 6"+ deep "kitty litter" sections (pumice). I.e. super loose. But it held it's own. Mazza shined in the loose. I set a lot of PRs (Gopro doesn't do me justice lol)

https://youtu.be/nMQ_Z5rzgao

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    At 10 seconds into your video I slipped and hit my head on a root through my Goggles. Giant goose egg. I see you fell at 16 seconds

I miss Mammoth, it's been 8ish years since I last went.

hartmtb
    Sep 2020

mazza-agarro-assegai

For people washing out the front. Been running 2.5 Assegai up front on 35iw rims for a year and have yet to wash it out. The thing has incredible grip and good rolling speed for what it does everywhere else. Light years better than a DHF. Ive been riding an agarro rear and absolutely love the performance but have pinch flatted twice. Something i havent done in 3 years. Its so fast and grippy on everything but steep and loose. Anyone else have this issue with the Agarro? I dont flat often and I usually ride a high roller 2.5 or a dissector 2.6. So maybe this tire just isn't beefy enough for me. I decided to try the mazza 2.4tnt as a rear tire and have it in my basement. Waiting to mount it with the new tannus liner and nobl tr37/hydra wheels on wednesday. How have people been getting along with the mazza as rear. I ride new england rocky signletrack tech. Lots of punchy climbs, rock slab up moves and rollers, roots, and steep quick descents.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by hartdog View Post
    ... Ive been riding an agarro rear and absolutely love the performance but have pinch flatted twice. Something i havent done in 3 years. Its so fast and grippy on everything but steep and loose. Anyone else have this issue with the Agarro? ...
    On my FS I PFíd a 2.6 rear as my own fault, lost pressure slowly from a thorn because sealant had dried up then landed on a 6Ē pointed rock which dented the rim, pinched a hole small enough for bacon to fix. Currently got a 2.35 rear on my HT, running the same Mid-Atlantic rock/root at 18-20 PSI without issue... Maybe the eAgarro with the 2 ply casing is the one for you...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hartdog View Post
    For people washing out the front. Been running 2.5 Assegai up front on 35iw rims for a year and have yet to wash it out. The thing has incredible grip and good rolling speed for what it does everywhere else. Light years better than a DHF. Ive been riding an agarro rear and absolutely love the performance but have pinch flatted twice. Something i havent done in 3 years. Its so fast and grippy on everything but steep and loose. Anyone else have this issue with the Agarro? I dont flat often and I usually ride a high roller 2.5 or a dissector 2.6. So maybe this tire just isn't beefy enough for me. I decided to try the mazza 2.4tnt as a rear tire and have it in my basement. Waiting to mount it with the new tannus liner and nobl tr37/hydra wheels on wednesday. How have people been getting along with the mazza as rear. I ride new england rocky signletrack tech. Lots of punchy climbs, rock slab up moves and rollers, roots, and steep quick descents.
    If you pinch flat any tire than your psi was to low. If the ride is to firm at a psi that won't pinch flat than you need a bigger tire.

Up to a certain point a bigger tire gets bouncy with enough pressure not to PF. For me that's 2.6+.

hartmtb
    Sep 2020
    running the 2.6 at 23.5 psi on a 35iw rim. thats almost a full psi more than i ride with my 2.6 dissector.

mtbr member
    No issues with my agarro rear with PF and I live in a really nasty area. I run 30psi. 29*2.35.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    On my FS I PFíd a 2.6 rear as my own fault, lost pressure slowly from a thorn because sealant had dried up then landed on a 6Ē pointed rock which dented the rim, pinched a hole small enough for bacon to fix. Currently got a 2.35 rear on my HT, running the same Mid-Atlantic rock/root at 18-20 PSI without issue... Maybe the eAgarro with the 2 ply casing is the one for you...
    The E-Agarro appears to have an identical casing to the standard Agarro.
    I've been a huge proponent of the Agarro since it was released, but I'm now riding the E-Agarro as it has great traction (but a hint less than the standard when climbing straight up), weighs exactly the same, lasts longer, and rolls notably better than the standard version.

Short-Change-Hero
    So been running the Mazza/Martello combo for a while now and in just about everything around the Lake Tahoe area. This setup seriously has done nothing but impress me. Love how grippy the tires are, no feeling of lost traction or huge amounts of rolling resistance for due to how knobby they are and recently been putting lots of miles around my family cabin up in North Lake Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So been running the Mazza/Martello combo for a while now and in just about everything around the Lake Tahoe area. This setup seriously has done nothing but impress me. Love how grippy the tires are, no feeling of lost traction or huge amounts of rolling resistance for due to how knobby they are and recently been putting lots of miles around my family cabin up in North Lake Tahoe.
    How does the wear look with the Martello on the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    The E-Agarro appears to have an identical casing to the standard Agarro.
    I've been a huge proponent of the Agarro since it was released, but I'm now riding the E-Agarro as it has great traction (but a hint less than the standard when climbing straight up), weighs exactly the same, lasts longer, and rolls notably better than the standard version.

That's kinda the opposite of what I would have expected on multiple counts. I would have expected a tougher casing, more grip, and more rolling resistance. Odd.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by ungod View Post
    That's kinda the opposite of what I would have expected on multiple counts. I would have expected a tougher casing, more grip, and more rolling resistance. Odd.
    From the Tire Tech section of the Vittoria website:

ďDesigned to handle the stronger impacts generated by the weight of electric mountainbikes, and to deliver high performance on the most demanding Enduro courses, ENDURO & EMTB casing use a double layer of Nylon 120 TPI (2-ply casing). Protection from cuts and pinches is provided by the anti-pinch-flat (APF) inserts.Ē

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    It looks like the E-Agarro is the same tire as the Trail TNT (1-ply) version, just with another logo on it. The E-Mazza is showing as the heavier, 2-ply enduro version.

g=9.764m/s2
    Alright, guess their marketing is to blame, even the BikeRumor review at press release says ďAll four Vittoria eMTB tires have a 2-ply casingĒ. However in the release video, Ken only mentions the Martello and Mazza having a 2-ply casing.

mtbr member
    Bit of an update on my familyís vittoria experience

Ive become quite a fan as the local distributor (Australia) sells direct online at at near wholesale if you know the code. They also ship same day. Have a bunch of road, gravel and mtb tyres from vittoria now snd we like them a lot.

Wife moved from ?? Front ( cant remember) to a 2.6 Mazza trail and From a Rekon rear to 2.6 Agarro Trail. She rides Blue/ Black runs on rock ( sandstone) and clay, sandy dirt and rubble. She likes to climb. Combo hasnít held her back, no washouts and plenty grip.

Agarroís weakness is its braking grip but made up for by its easy pedalling.
    No flats in at least 4 months.

Agarro looking a bit tired after around 4 months of 3 rides a week.

Mazza 2 Or 3 months Old and Imperceptible wear.

Ive enjoyed the Martello 2.6 trail up front and Agarro 2.6 rear but moved back to Assegai Exo+ front And put the Martello 2.6 in the rear for Overall better damping, grip and control. Rear Martello has Cushcore PRO installed.

This is now my absolute favourite heavyweight trail/gnar riding combination.
    Makes pedalling easier And is durable, strong and grippy

Martello rolls extremely well for such a burly and grippy tyre. It outlasts DHR2 maxterra In the rear by a very long way - Ie: i can tear a DHR2 maxterra apart in around 300km. ( 10 rides ! ) the Martello after similar distance is still in great condition.

No punctures.

But I digress, this Chat is about the Mazza - it seems faultless as a heavy trail front at least in 2.6 and 18-20 psi. And trail casing seems strong enough In the front I guess unless you are racing.

Its unfortunate to hear some are having grip issues.

But given those comments Im loathe to move away and try the Mazza as my Assegai Front ( 2.5 ) for bad / steep terrain has NEVER let me down

Perhaps if I needed something easier to pedal? Then would likely just go back to the razor sharp steering Martello

mtbr member
    I have about 100km on the Mazza 29x2.6 Trail as a front tire and I'm somewhat dissapointed, coming from Magic Mary and On One Chunky Monkey(=Maxxis DHR with On One thread design).
    I ride dry rocks, boulders and stones and some dry dirt and gravel.
    Somehow the Mazza gets thrown of course at speed very easy.
    Pressure is 1.1 / 1.2 bar(15 psi).
    Happens "all the time".
    Until now I was able to regain control, but I fear this tire is gonna kill me some day.

The tire is nowhere near 2.6. It's more like a 2.4, but slightly higher, but I knew that.
    Rolling resistance is OK for this kind of tire.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    I have about 100km on the Mazza 29x2.6 Trail as a front tire and I'm somewhat dissapointed, coming from Magic Mary and On One Chunky Monkey(=Maxxis DHR with On One thread design).
    I ride dry rocks, boulders and stones and some dry dirt and gravel.
    Somehow the Mazza gets thrown of course at speed very easy.
    Pressure is 1.1 / 1.2 bar(15 psi).
    Happens "all the time".
    Until now I was able to regain control, but I fear this tire is gonna kill me some day.

The tire is nowhere near 2.6. It's more like a 2.4, but slightly higher, but I knew that.
    Rolling resistance is OK for this kind of tire.
    As Jeff said,
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    That's a tough one. I really like the Martello because its SUPER predictable however when there's dirt to bite into the Mazza is awesome... So, it depends on the terrain. Dirt I'd go Mazza, and if it's mixed or mostly harder pack or rocks I'd stick with Martello.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by picocassette View Post
    Yup, reminds me of a 2.5 dhf as well. I haven't tried the 2.6 dhf on a 35 id width. I could never get comfortable with that transition area with a dhf. But once you know how to ride it with looser and mixed conditions and it hooks in, I bet it just grips. I'm still looking for that Assegai style continuous grip, even one with a bit less overall grip, without the weight.
    Following up on my longer term experience. I'm now running front martello trail 2.6 / rear agarro trail 2.6 on my local trails and I'm much more happy. But when I went took my short travel trail bike that's pretty underbiked to the bike park, I ran front mazza trail 2.6 / rear martello trail 2.6 with rimpact inserts and worked really well. Looking forward to trying out the mazza in the messier conditions this fall.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well that sucked... This week during a ride I had let my pressure get too low apparently as I got a puncture. Was quite small but I kept feeling like I was getting sprinkled on during a downhill and couldn't figure out why, until I stopped.

Unfortunately, the Orange Sealant did not want to see the hole for whatever reason at first. It eventually did seal but then the sealant plug came loose and I lost enough air pressure at that point that I was struggling a bit. Finally pulled off the trail (had finished major downhill portion) to try and plug the tire.

I must be some sort of retard when it comes to tubeless plug kits as I can never seem to get the plug to actually stay. I am using a Lezyne tool that got high rating so not sure what I am doing wrong. However, I had concern when I inserted the plug as it seemed that the original, overall small hole suddenly RIPPED and got much larger. When I finally got a plug to stay in the Mazza, it seemed I needed a second to truly fill the hole. Yeah well that didn't go well and only served to pull the first plug out. GREAT!

After trying to futz with it and get the first plug to stay and not succeeding I finally said screw it and threw in my spare tube that I have on the bike. Thank god for that. But then when I went to air up with CO2 the valve core came out. At that point I just said screw it, pumped up the rest of the way to safely get back to my truck and called it a night, licking my wounded ego whilst drinking beer.

Good news is that I talked to Vittoria and they said they would see about warrantying it for me, which is awesome. But they DO NOT have a recommendation on a plug kit that would work well with their tires. This is now the SECOND new Vittoria tire I have destroyed this year with similar situation. Morale of the story, while the tires like lower pressures you REALLY need to keep them up around high 20s to keep from stupid crap like this. I am contemplating putting tire inserts in or getting the Enduro version of the tires from this point forward as this is the 2nd TRAIL version I have killed in short order.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Well that sucked....
    Iíve had plug issues as well, with my tiny inserter if the bacon goes into the slot it never slides out... maybe give the Stanís Dart a try...

uh, somthin bout that donít sound right

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    I love the Mazza 29er x 2.6 TnT. Coming off of a front DHF 2.5 3C. Mazza is Great summer tire in Norcal for the blown out trail conditions. Deals well with powderized turns, Marble sized kitty litter riddled corners, and "Surprise" gully's that were not there 3 weeks ago. Tire rips as well as anything else I have used. I will buy another. It would be great if it was a little bigger or offered in 29 x 2.8. My rims are 35mm interior/41 outer and tire measures at 64mm casing and 63mm outer side knobs at 19 psi. That is dumb. This tire needs to be designed better for wide rims in my opinion, but it works great for me. I am expert level rider, so I am not afraid to lean bike over to rail turns (getting so sketchy this far into dry summer for sure). Martello 2.6 in rear is doing fine, I already bought a new rear for next week. Mazza has seen a few road trips, Shuttles in Ashland, O'Leary and King Castle which are ridiculously fast DH's, some Downieville and Tahoe runs. Alot of the stuff I have ridden it on are "new to me" trails, and at least some new sections in old haunts, and that is really the test of a great tire, going into things blind, and letting it rip, having confidence in Mazza to pull you through. At same price level, nothing wrong with DHF, but I get the Vittorias a bit cheaper, Im hooked.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I almost never have plugs work. it's like 2/10 so far. When they work it's great. You can patch a tire from the inside once you get home and keep running it if you want.

mtbr member
    Gave the Mazza several extra chances to proove itself.
    Still not convinced.
    Or rather, I am convinced.
    This is not my tire !
    On the trails at speeds at about 40kmh (25mph) or above this tire (front)suddenly jumps to the left or the right. No warning, no apparend reason. Cornering is fine, just lean the bike and it rails, but it's on the fast and rough straights that this tire unpleassantly surprises me, at least 2 times each ride.
    On local descents where I rode 45kmh without a problem on the Magic Mary or the Chunky Monkey, the Mazza scares me.
    I am shure my tire pressure is right (around 1,1 bar on my scale). Softer and the tire folds under load, harder and the tire bounces.

Anyone interested in a 2nd hand Mazza?
    Have to pick it up though. Prices
    by Spanish post are insane

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Interesting how polarizing this tire is winding up to be. I for one LOVE the Mazza 29x2.6 Trail up front. Coming off a 2.5 EXO Assegai, it feels faster, just as consistent through the lean(not at all like a DHF), and more bite in all regards, even at extreme lean angles. This is on a 30mm IW rim, at 18psi, with a Tannus Tubeless insert. Soil conditions Iíve ridden range from semi-blown out sandy/silty hardpack to chunky loose rock, and a bit of loam. So far, itís my favorite front tire Iíve ever ridden, and Iíve tried most of them. Iím impressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rats, wish I saw this thread before i ordered the mazza. ive been trying to find a 2.5-2.6 front tire (besides dhf just for the fun of it ) that has sticky rubber, trail casing, square profile (side knobs taller than center knobs), no transition knobs, and tread at least as wide as if not wider than the casing. Those last two points are important for preventing washouts in loose off-camber and extreme lean angles. Also well-supported side knobs. Last few ive tried (on 29 mm rim): Wtb vigilante 2.6: wide (2.7"! at tread!) and square profile, but not digging the transition knobs. WTB verdict: Great square profile, true 2.5, soft rubber, but the side knobs are not well supported and its squirms on hard rock. And the channel is almost too big. I like it for super-loose scree or wet/mud. Maxxis dhr 2 2.6: good on all counts except the softest rubber its available in in the lighter casing seems really hard. terravail kessel: true 2.5, compliant casing, great well-supported side knobs. actually modified it by trimming the wider center lugs to make the channel more aggressive. Rubber not very sticky though, and rolls reeaaly slow. IRC tanken 2.6: terrible profile, side knobs too short and tread noticeably narrower than casing, like the tire had a mohawk. Rode it a couple times and it was sketchy enough in a few loose off-camber situations that i just took it off.
    Mounted up the Mazza and first impressions of the profile are a little disappointing. The side knobs are big but not very tall, so profile is rounder than I was hoping for. kind of like the tanken but not as bad. After sitting at max pressure overnight the casing is 2.45, the widest side knobs are 2.49 and the narrower side knobs are 2.4. the rubber componds are perfect and I like that the side knobs are soft and compliant on the medial edge but firm and supported on the lateral edge. I wish the side knobs were a little further out to the side and taller , and in a straight line instad of slightly alternating. Ride test coming up.
    It seems like a lot of the tire companies lately will come out with a 2.6" tire, but to keep the weight marketable the tread will be basically the same as the 2.4 or so version but they just make the casing wider, and they shave some height off the side knobs. Silly ill gladly take the slight weight penalty, I dont want heavy stiff DH casing but i dont mind the weight being in the knobs for a true 2.6 square profile. Goddamit.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Can anyone compare the "Enduro" casing to Maxxis? Between DoubleDown and DH casing or rather like DD, just slightly heavier?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Mounted up the Mazza and first impressions of the profile are a little disappointing. The side knobs are big but not very tall, so profile is rounder than I was hoping for. kind of like the tanken but not as bad. After sitting at max pressure overnight the casing is 2.45, the widest side knobs are 2.49 and the narrower side knobs are 2.4. the rubber componds are perfect and I like that the side knobs are soft and compliant on the medial edge but firm and supported on the lateral edge. I wish the side knobs were a little further out to the side and taller , and in a straight line instad of slightly alternating. Ride test coming up.

It seems like a lot of the tire companies lately will come out with a 2.6" tire, but to keep the weight marketable the tread will be basically the same as the 2.4 or so version but they just make the casing wider, and they shave some height off the side knobs. Silly ill gladly take the slight weight penalty, I dont want heavy stiff DH casing but i dont mind the weight being in the knobs for a true 2.6 square profile. Goddamit.
    Vittoria just doesn't seem to know how to make accurate tires. The ERTO measurements seem to more closely match up with actual width on i30 rims. which still ends up with them being undersized to expectations (60mm- 2.37, 65mm - 2.55).

I think It seems that the 2.6 has a lot of issues with it. There is a significant weight difference between the 2.4 and the 2.6 Mazza. The 2.4 weighs 950 grams and the 2.6 weighs 1100 grams. That's not insignificant. On my I30 rim the casing measures 2.37 and the widest knobs are at like 2.25. So in comparison you are getting a wider tire. But, it's like the 2.6 is a TRUE 2.4.

Same thing with my 2.6 Agarros (which I like a lot). On my I25 rims they measure 2.4 casing / widest knobs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12