Vittoria Barzo front: good for loose over hardpack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vittoria Barzo front: good for loose over hardpack?

I'm 155-160, 23mm internal rim.
    Would run the Barzo 29x2.35 somewhere in the low 20s on the front.
    I notice that the Mezcals like low pressure, even on my narrow rims.

Does anyone have any experience with it in loose over hardpack? I've seen some reviews that state that the tire isn't well suited for it.

Many thanks,
    Bob

Hitching a ride
    It's ok for this but will come out to be a 2.25, notice the ETRTO is 57mm. I run it on 22mm rims no problem. It has good washout properties.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Schulze.
    I figured as long as it gives some warning before breaking loose, it should be a great tire.

I like the Mezcal as well, but occasionally on the blown out corners I want bigger knobs to punch through and find some traction.

Bob

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah it will do ok on the loose over hardpack, just depends on how loose it is and how deep that is. Remember it is meant to be more of an XC tire so it will not punch through deep stuff as the knobs are not large enough. Though living in the High Desert I have not had problems with it in the past when I ran it as a rear on my old trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One of my front wheels is 23mm ID, and I'm 160-165 lbs on average. Run my TNT Barzo around 22psi cold. Lots of loose over hard conditions. I like it a lot. My second favorite tire behind the new Specialized Fast Trak 2.3 for conditions mentioned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have run 3 versions of the Barzo and have the latest. Loose over hard is the worst attribute of it. However it does shine in slightly damp conditions. I wish it did better loose over hard.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    Never ridden the Barzo personally, but have many friends that ride them and speak highly of them, but admittedly they weigh less than I do. Often in the same conversation is the Maxxis Forekaster. It has slightly more aggressive knobs than the Barzo and is a little heavier but bites really well and drifts/slides very predictably. (I'm only commenting because of your question about breaking loose in turns)

It's also tough. I've run it on the front, back, and both on my hardtails and XC FS bikes. I'm 210lbs and CAT1 racer. I've pounded on the Forekaster and never had one issue with it. I'm super impressed with how much grip it has for it weight, and equally impressed with how tough it is. It also rolls well for those that may want to run it in the rear.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've got the barzo 2.25 currently on the front of my scalpel. Mezcal 2.25 on the rear. Also have a mezcal for the front and a set of Pirelli for front and rear. In 2.2 and 2.4. The lite version.

The barzo on the front is about as grippy in the conditions loose over hard pack as the mezcal. The mezcal has a better transition though so offers more confidence. The barzo you have to lean on and trust.
    in more sandy conditions its a better front tyre than the mezcal.
    But grip of both tyres is highly dependent on the wear. The grippy rubber is a thin layer on the top. Once that's gone the tyres offer no grip at all and the rolling resistance drops off making them better suited to hard pack race courses.
    overall I find the Pirelli a better tyre. More grip consistently and wet performance is better too. I'm wearing the vittoria's out then it's Pirelli all the way

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info, Brad.
    I love trying new tires. Funny you mentioned the Pirelli, I was just checking them out yesterday online.
    I think it was a mixed condition model.

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have ran Barzo front / Mezcal rear on a hardtail for about 6 months now. It's the older compound. It's been good. They work well in most conditions if you think of them as XC instead of trail. If you are looking for fast not quite as grippy they are great.

Just put XR4s front / rear on my hardtail and I am enjoying the increased grip over that combo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob View Post
    Thanks for the info, Brad.
    I love trying new tires. Funny you mentioned the Pirelli, I was just checking them out yesterday online.
    I think it was a mixed condition model.

Bob
    The Mixed condition tyre compound is denoted by the "M". The M on the front and a H on the rear is very popular. I prefer the H+H combo because like the bike to reach the grip limit front and rear or rear letting go juct before the front. H+H is a very fast combo, suitable for XCO and XCM. M+H is a good all round combo

mtbr member

Vittoria.com