Views: 95
Size:  140.4 KB
    Name:  94ca4fa1-3f48-491e-bf02-698b4a2aa0f8.png
Views: 97
Size:  90.7 KB
    Vittoria Barzo-faststoneeditor.jpg
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. --Mark Twain

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I know there were some threads for Barzo, but none of them were generic so I started a new one.

I swapped out my Peyote front for the Barzo today. Put the peyote on the back.
    29x2.35 TNT XC Trail G2.0
    Will remeasure the Barzo after a few rides as it seems Vittoria tires grow a little

Vittoria Barzo-mvimg_20200522_114856.jpg
    Vittoria Barzo-mvimg_20200523_125236.jpg
    Vittoria Barzo-mvimg_20200523_125257.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wait that bottom picture is a 2.35 and only measuring 2.12?

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Wait that bottom picture is a 2.35 and only measuring 2.12?
    I should have labeled them.

First pic is the width of the casing
    Second pic is outside lug to lug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
    I should have labeled them.

First pic is the width of the casing
    Second pic is outside lug to lug
    Tough to get a good outside measurement with the way the outside knobs are staggered. I put a straight edge resting on the side of the outside knobs on one side and subtracted its thickness from the measurement to the furthest outside knob on the other side and got 2.2509in (that's .1in. wider than the 2.35 Maxxis Ardent Race tires that came on the bike). My 27.5 x 2.35 Barzo has been mounted for 2 days with one 30mi. ride on it on a 25mm ID rim and hoping it stretches a little more. Unfortunately not enough hands to get a picture. Did you ever measure the ID on your rims?
    Mole

Robertson
    I put a barzo 2.6 on the front of my hardtail to go with a mezcal 2.6 rear. The Barzo was comically undersized. I gave it a few days to stretch without much improvement and took it off after one ride for an Agarro 2.6 (which is also a little small but better than the Barzo). I guess I'll keep the Barzo as a spare rear or something

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I put a barzo 2.6 on the front of my hardtail to go with a mezcal 2.6 rear. The Barzo was comically undersized. I gave it a few days to stretch without much improvement and took it off after one ride for an Agarro 2.6 (which is also a little small but better than the Barzo). I guess I'll keep the Barzo as a spare rear or something
    Interesting, when you say comically undersized are you talking 2.4 or 2.5 which is really where I would like to be. Along with my 2.35 Barzo I also ordered a 2.25 Mezcal and unmounted the tread width is the same on both and wider than the 2.25 Peyote I have on the back now. Curious what your estimate of the actual size of a 2.6 Barzo? Undersized is perfect if it's the exact size your looking for!
    Mole

Rider
    The TNT 1.0 2.6 Barzos were full size from what I've seen. Perhaps the 2.0 is undersized like most of their 2.0 tires.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Interesting, when you say comically undersized are you talking 2.4 or 2.5 which is really where I would like to be. Along with my 2.35 Barzo I also ordered a 2.25 Mezcal and unmounted the tread width is the same on both and wider than the 2.25 Peyote I have on the back now. Curious what your estimate of the actual size of a 2.6 Barzo? Undersized is perfect if it's the exact size your looking for!
    Mole
    I don't have calipers so didn't measure but it was maybe 2.4, same width as the Martello 2.35 I have on another bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I don't have calipers so didn't measure but it was maybe 2.4, same width as the Martello 2.35 I have on another bike
    Just looking for your estimate, valuable information, thanks!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just threw a 27.5 x 2.6 Barzo on the front of my wife's bike because she was enjoying a 2.35 Mezcal in the rear so much.
    We took off an as new Eliminator 2.6. I swapped tires in search of lower rolling resistance as she doesn't require very aggressive tires for her riding style.
    Anyways, it measures an actual 2.52" on a 30mm ID wheel which is wider than I really wanted.
    On the road test we both agreed (independently) that it felt draggy compared to what was removed even though I removed 300 grams of rotating weight. She also complained that it felt squishy.
    I'm a huge Vittoria tire fan and can't say enough good things about some of their models, but am thinking I might have bought the wrong size or maybe just the wrong tire, but will update when she gets a real ride in this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Got rocks?
    That’s interesting that the bardo felt dragged than the eliminator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Just threw a 27.5 x 2.6 Barzo on the front of my wife's bike because she was enjoying a 2.35 Mezcal in the rear so much.
    We took off an as new Eliminator 2.6. I swapped tires in search of lower rolling resistance as she doesn't require very aggressive tires for her riding style.
    Anyways, it measures an actual 2.5" on a 30mm ID wheel which is wider than I really wanted.
    On the road test we both agreed (independently) that it felt draggy compared to what was removed even though I removed 300 grams of rotating weight. She also complained that it felt squishy.
    I'm a huge Vittoria tire fan and can't say enough good things about some of their models, but am thinking I might have bought the wrong size or maybe just the wrong tire, but will update when she gets a real ride in this weekend.

Curious what tire pressure you were using? With the tire being that much lighter it may require more pressure to maintain its shape properly than the one it replaced. Also curious what the 2.35 Mezcal measured for width?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Curious what tire pressure you were using? With the tire being that much lighter it may require more pressure to maintain its shape properly than the one it replaced. Also curious what the 2.35 Mezcal measured for width?
    Mole
    She weighs 111#s and although she rides lots of general trails, she doesn't push hard.
    Because of those factors I'm experimenting with lowering her air pressure.
    On the test ride she was at 13 psi front, and 15 psi rear although the rear Mezcal also has a Tubolight insert.
    When I swapped to the rear Mezcal 2.35 (measures 2.29" btw) she was pretty jazzed on that tire on the road test and then the trail test. Very happy. So I was hoping to replicate that feeling in the front.
    On the road test, which obviously isn't the end all be all, that Barzo 2.6 didn't feel great at first. True test coming up this weekend.
    Ime, I've never felt a tire over a true 2.5" that felt worth a crap. Right at 2.5 works, but any larger and you have yourself a bouncy balloon.

mtbr member
    She weighs 111#s and although she rides lots of general trails, she doesn't push hard.
    Because of those factors I'm experimenting with lowering her air pressure.
    On the test ride she was at 13 psi front, and 15 psi rear although the rear Mezcal also has a Tubolight insert.
    When I swapped to the rear Mezcal 2.35 (measures 2.29" btw) she was pretty jazzed on that tire on the road test and then the trail test. Very happy. So I was hoping to replicate that feeling in the front.
    On the road test, which obviously isn't the end all be all, that Barzo 2.6 didn't feel great at first. True test coming up this weekend.
    Ime, I've never felt a tire over a true 2.5" that felt worth a crap. Right at 2.5 works, but any larger and you have yourself a bouncy balloon.

Thanks for the measurement on the Mezcal. I'll be interested to see how your weekend ride goes. I have very little experience with Vittoria tires but I did notice the pressure recommendations were a little higher than other brands I've used and even the reviews I've read the testers seem to like higher pressures than I normally see. Anytime I hear squishy I think under inflated so maybe these tires just require a few more PSI to work properly.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for the measurement on the Mezcal. I'll be interested to see how your weekend ride goes. I have very little experience with Vittoria tires but I did notice the pressure recommendations were a little higher than other brands I've used and even the reviews I've read the testers seem to like higher pressures than I normally see. Anytime I hear squishy I think under inflated so maybe these tires just require a few more PSI to work properly.
    Mole
    I spend a lot of time on Vittoria tires, and can assure you they usually work really well with low pressure (if you are used to running low pressure, of course). That said, the 2.6 Barzo (depending on rim width) can feel a bit unsupported/squishy when you drop the pressure enough to get good traction/ridefeel. I've currently got 29x2.6 Barzos F/R mounted on 30mm ID rims on my XC / light trail bike, running them at 11psi F / 13psi R (I'm 165lbs for reference). I can assure you they are not slow tires, despite what posters above may have felt on a road ride. On the trails, they are fast enough to set multiple PRs on a regular basis. I just think a slightly wider rim (35mm?) would work better with the size and construction.

I too agree that somewhere around 2.4-2.5" true size is the sweet spot for me. The 2.6 Agarro is an amazing tire (has its own thread), and also measures about 2.5. But the Agarro has a more supportive sidewall/casing (it's heavier as a result, of course).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good info. I'm pretty involved in the Agarro thread.
    I have a Tubolight on hand, I might insert it up front to try and prevent that instability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Good info. I'm pretty involved in the Agarro thread.
    I have a Tubolight on hand, I might insert it up front to try and prevent that instability.

If that doesn't work, try the 2.35 Barzo (TNT, not the XC Race version). That tire is pretty dialed and I run it at the same pressures as the 2.6, with better stability and traction that feels close to on par. 2.35 Barzo/Mezcal is a great combo for XC / light trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah, I'm wishing I had bought her the 2.35.
    Really, 2.6 tires always disappoint me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I got injured a week ago and will be off the bike month or so and off trails for a bit longer. I'm thinking I'll ride gravel/dirt and some road.

I recently got Agarro 2.6 F/R for my 32mm ID rims and they are great on the trails, but I'm thinking of going with something more XC oriented for my gravel/road riding.

Would Barzo or Mezcal or a combo of those in 2.25 or 2.35 be a good choice?

mtbr member
    Anyone feel like the puncture resistance on Vittoria's has gotten worse, maybe? Really just curious b/c it could just be me. Started with Mezcal's about 4 years ago and was able to get 1.5 years out of them with no flats before the tread was not gripping that well, which I thought was really good considering it's a softer compound. Since then I think I've bought 5 - 6 sets. About 3 sets of Mezcals, 1 set of Gato (which was a terrible tire in the conditions it was designed for), 1 set of Terreno, and then bought a set of Barzo's this year.

Last year I had punctures in F/R of Mezcal's within 10 rides or so, 2nd set went a little longer but went through 2 sets of Mezcal's last year which I've never done with any brand of tire. This year on my 4th ride I got a sidewall gash in the rear of the Barzo's. Other than the Terreno's all the tires had sidewalk protection, the Barzo I just slashed, I couldn't tell you what the sidewall protection is. At least Continental tires I used years ago, it was obvious there was sidewall protection.

I don't ride crazy gnarly trails either. Obviously punctures and things like that happen but I've never had this many issues in the last 3 years, even when I was running tubes before my first set of Vittoria's. I absolutely love the tires overall but now I wonder if I'm going to puncture a tire every ride.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmango42 View Post
    I got injured a week ago and will be off the bike month or so and off trails for a bit longer. I'm thinking I'll ride gravel/dirt and some road.

I recently got Agarro 2.6 F/R for my 32mm ID rims and they are great on the trails, but I'm thinking of going with something more XC oriented for my gravel/road riding.

Would Barzo or Mezcal or a combo of those in 2.25 or 2.35 be a good choice?
    I'd go Mezcal for what you described. It's a really fast tire and all you need for more mellow trails/gravel/etc. 2.25 or 2.35 are pretty close so either one is fine.