Vittoria Agarro- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vittoria Agarro

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Vittoria Agarro

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-agarro.png  

mtbr member
    Interesting, looks like a lot of the newer tires, ei assguy-eliminator. Provided the side knobs aren't super spongy like the martello it should be a great tire.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Always in the wrong gear
    Itís a Vittoria.

Itíll weigh 10-15% more than it should, itíll have a wicked casing wobble and itíll last about 200miles before itís chunked and worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

g=9.764m/s2
    Damn thatís a harsh review...Iíve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

MegaStoke, thatís not showing on Vittoria.com so whereíd you see that info?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Damn thatís a harsh review...Iíve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

In the 2020 dealer catalog. They're supposed shipping this fall, so I'd expect them to publicly launch soon.

And yeah, I've never even seen any of the above issues with Vittoria tires, and I see a lot of them come through my shop. The Mezcal is our top selling tire, and deservedly so.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    In the 2020 dealer catalog. They're supposed shipping this fall, so I'd expect them to publicly launch soon.

Is this the end of Morsa?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Is this the end of Morsa?
    Doesnít appear so. Theyíre in the 2020 catalog with 8 variants.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post

+1 Love my Vittoria's , Fast Durable and even as a weight weenies I can live with the Weight

All XCR Race Casing 29 x 2,25 Mezcal 674 g, Terreno 648g, Barzo 684g

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Itís a Vittoria.

Itíll weigh 10-15% more than it should, itíll have a wicked casing wobble and itíll last about 200miles before itís chunked and worn out.
    So you tried one tire and weren't happy.

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks like an ideal rear tire in the 2.35.

Might have to try one out.

Always in the wrong gear

Vittoria Agarro

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.
    No, actually. Iíve tried several.
    5-ish years ago on my ďregular 29erĒ I tried 2 Barzoís, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
    The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
    I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
    2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
    They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
    The Cannoli i still have actually. Itís is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. Itís also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
    I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think heís on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his Ďrace wheelsí because they arenít durable for everyday riding.

But keep jumping to conclusions anyway. Itís entertaining.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think that story is enough to make me stick with Schwalbe HD2s & Rock Razors for my rear tires.

Hitching a ride
    I have Barzos in 2.25, 2.35, and 2.6, all 4c G+. I notice that you don't list the models of these tires. The G+ ones wear like iron and you'll see other people post the same. I destroy Maxxis and Bontrager SE tires so it's not like I ride like a granny.

The Goma 2.35 doesn't exist. There is a 2.25 and a 2.4. The 2.4 is heavy because it's close to a 2.6; it's also extremely durable and the TNT has a good ride quality.

I can't speak to the plus tires.

Hitching a ride
    I do think Vittoria wins the award for slowest tire release. This tire was spotted in the fall of LAST year.

Meanwhile Maxxis - Here is the Dissector, and you can buy it now in like six versions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    5-ish years ago on my ďregular 29erĒ I tried 2 Barzoís, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
    The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
    I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
    2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
    They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
    The Cannoli i still have actually. Itís is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. Itís also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
    I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think heís on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his Ďrace wheelsí because they arenít durable for everyday riding.

Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.

There is not that much difference in the manufacturing of Vittoria vs Maxxis vs Schwalbe.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?

Years ago I had 2 Schwalbe tire that blow off on a Tubeless setup a Rear Stan's rims ( Furious Fred and Rocket Ron) I stayed away from them for years as Schwalbe would not warranty them as they said it was the tubeless mounting process, in retrospect it was my fault as I did have difficult time getting them to seat and stretched the bead.

So in my case it was user error

Now I run Snakeskin Rocket Ron and Thunder Burt with no issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like heavier version of the Rekon...

mtbr member
    The casing and side lugs rubber used on the morsa is the best out there imo. Tuff, great dampening, doesn't begin to weep sealant after 3 weeks, rolls great and the side lugs take for ever to undercut while hooking up great. I know of no other tire I can say that about, definitely not maxxis. SE casing is also fantastic but everything else about their tires is mid pack at best.

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting review Impetus...
    I am quite the opposite. Worn out everything BUT my Vittorias. Actually I have a Goma TNT 2.4 on front of my new trail bike that is 3 seasons old (at least). Reason it was put on there is because the DHF that came on the bike when I got it in April was not holding air (had to run a tube) and wobbling within a month of riding. Goma still looks good after two bikes and probably close to 2k miles on it (front tire primarily).

Other Goma on my commuter bike was a different back up that still says GEAX on it, yeah still running and been on that hardtail the entire time. Old Trail bike is running Goma/Barzo combo currently in Colorado under my BIL, Goma TNT front is 2 seasons old at least and the Barzo is about 1-2 seasons old. Still looked brand new when I gave him the bike in July this year.

Only problem I ever had with Vittoria tires was when the Mezcal III first came out in the 2.35 variant. When I got it and installed it was super undersized (barely measuring 2.2), got ahold of Vittoria and they confirmed they had a few batches that were running small, notified the factory (as I was not the first to mention) and offered to replace with whatever I wanted as they could not guarantee that sending me out another Mezcal would get me a true 2.35.

Their customer service and products wearing like iron for the most part have earned my patronage. They may have the occasional tire that has issues but what tire company doesn't. I am on my third Maxxis tire now (2nd rear, first one that went was the DHF on front) and for the money they are nothing to write home about. Currently running an Ardent EXO 2.4 that I measured last night at 56.7mm (that's more like 2.25") where as the 3 season old Goma TNT 2.4 measured at 64.2mm (that's more like 2.5-2.6"). With regards to weight of the tires, yeah that is always something that is considered because most don't want a ton of weight on their wheels, but really are you an XC racer weight-weenie? Are you someone that notices that difference when a tire is rated at 960g and comes out to be 1000g? I can understand a couple hundred gram difference but 10-15% (in this case would be about 10-20g) is something you are not really going to notice unless, like said, you are a XC racer weight weenie. If that is the case, then yeah you should not be running something like the Goma, Martello, Mota, Morsa or the more aggressive tires.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?
    Pesonally, I'll admit I have not. But I ride 2x per week with guys on the 'new' graphene tires. As mentioned above we spend lots of time standing and watching one guy in particular patch or plug. We've been friends for about 3 years, riding 1-2x per week together (group rides) and he did not have tire problems when he was riding Bontrager XR2/3 or Maxxis Rekons.

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.
    My gut says road tires and mtb tires are a little different. I dunno.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.
    I never said 2-3 rides. Also, I've done single rides this week that were 40-45 miles. 3 rides could be 100 miles.
    I said 'weeks'... I think the Barzo that actually lived to 'worn' was about 5 weeks old. 350 miles?
    I thought the ride quality of the 29x3.0 Bomboloni was excellent, but I have strava-verified tracking that the average life of that tire is about 300 miles before the edge knobs start chunking and the center knobs are in bad shape.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?
    Again. I never said '2' weeks. I ride general XC trails in the Phoenix Arizona area, occasionally taking my bike up to my cabin in the Eastern AZ White Mountains.

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?
    That's awesome. I truly wish my experience was similar.

I get it, my original post was pretty snarky. I didn't mean to bash Vittoria tires, I just haven't seen good things from them.

I've been really happy with a 60tpi 29x2.6 Rekon on the back and a 120tpi 29x2.6 Forekaster on the front. 200-ish miles and I'd estimate the rear is at 60% life, the front is probably 80%. Zero flats or holes in either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The problem with taking tire advise from others is that people and terrain varies a lot. Heck even how I'm riding season to season varies a lot.

The photo below is of a WTB tough/ fast Breakout after about 6 weeks of local trail riding 2-3x per week. It took more of a hammering than most of my tires just because I enjoyed it so much (before they discontinued it). Tracton notably fell off this very day.

I personally swap out rear tires usually about every 6-8 weeks because they have torn knobs and what not.

Here is an HD2 (my all time fav rear tire currently) after about 2 months. I have others in my garage but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-20190119_132620.jpeg  

mtbr member

Seems like you and your buddies have had some bad luck. Been running newer 2.35 Mezcal Graphene 2.0 with zero problems for 500+ miles. Did a 50-miler recently with mixed terrain and had no issues at all. Great tire for pretty much anything, except mud.

mtbr member
    ^ Shwable, same as they ever were.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Honestly they hold up better for me than most other tires. I showed that picture to shwalbe North American and they sent me a brand new one at no cost. And I haven't torn another one like that.
    That tire is easily the best performing rear tire that I've tried for that application.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

g=9.764m/s2
    Now all thatís out of the way, back to the Agarro. Looks aggressive and grippy with a reasonable weight for what it is. Read in the Martello review that its designer was behind the original Minion so Iíd bet the Agarro is his design as well. In last years Agarro thread someone said it looked similar to a Rekon, Iíll agree with that. Martello front/Agarro rear may be a decent combo. A year is a little long for rollout of a tire though.

Hitching a ride

I get it, my original post was pretty snarky. I didn't mean to bash Vittoria tires, I just haven't seen good things from them.

I've been really happy with a 60tpi 29x2.6 Rekon on the back and a 120tpi 29x2.6 Forekaster on the front. 200-ish miles and I'd estimate the rear is at 60% life, the front is probably 80%. Zero flats or holes in either.
    I don't think your original post was snarky. Experiences are on a bell curve and the most dissatisfied experiences get told on the internet. I would have preferred your complaints to be more specific. Incidentally, the guy my group waits for the most is fixing his XR2 rear tire. I don't know why he sticks with it.

I'm willing to give the Agarro a try, but not on the rear. Vittoria has too many good rear tires. I'd cut off every other transition knob and use it with a Mezcal or Morsa rear.

Hitching a ride
    Here's a closeup of the knobs. They look tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nssI2XcxbGs

g=9.764m/s2
    I don't think your original post was snarky...

I'm willing to give the Agarro a try, but not on the rear. Vittoria has too many good rear tires. I'd cut off every other transition knob and use it with a Mezcal or Morsa rear.
    ĎSnarkyí - word of the day! Iíll file that if you donít mind.

Iíll also try Agarro on front of my HT for all-around use. Just seams most threads are so assiduous with determining the best Enduro/DH combo that there is lesser discussion on trail uses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pesonally, I'll admit I have not. But I ride 2x per week with guys on the 'new' graphene tires. As mentioned above we spend lots of time standing and watching one guy in particular patch or plug. We've been friends for about 3 years, riding 1-2x per week together (group rides) and he did not have tire problems when he was riding Bontrager XR2/3 or Maxxis Rekons.

My gut says road tires and mtb tires are a little different. I dunno.

I never said 2-3 rides. Also, I've done single rides this week that were 40-45 miles. 3 rides could be 100 miles.
    I said 'weeks'... I think the Barzo that actually lived to 'worn' was about 5 weeks old. 350 miles?
    I thought the ride quality of the 29x3.0 Bomboloni was excellent, but I have strava-verified tracking that the average life of that tire is about 300 miles before the edge knobs start chunking and the center knobs are in bad shape.

Again. I never said '2' weeks. I ride general XC trails in the Phoenix Arizona area, occasionally taking my bike up to my cabin in the Eastern AZ White Mountains.

Thanks for the reply, Tires are very personal and I do love Schwalbe and used them for years and then I had a very bad taste for them after 2 full price retail tires where ruined, as I stated I had a lot to do with this.

All change this year with the snake skin rocket ron.

Lastly I now live in Minneapolis, smooth and flat XC riding after nearly 30 years of living in Colorado with a lot of trips to Utah,

Colorado is Totally different on tires as is Arizona as both those condition are much harder on tires than the Midwest,

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow... watching the video that thing looks like the bastard love child of a three-way between the Goma, Martello and Barzo. Looks like it could make an awesome front or rear. However, looking at the "positioning" I am assuming that it will be replacing the Goma. Really hope that the 2.35" version has traits like the Goma where it is much larger. But looks like my new combo for next year will be Martello front and Agarro rear, or maybe a dual Agarro setup.

Hitching a ride
    Looks like casing widths are as irritating as their Barzo and Mezcal - 2.35 is a 57mm, then jumps to 2.6 at 65mm. No 60mm.

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like casing widths are as irritating as their Barzo and Mezcal - 2.35 is a 57mm, then jumps to 2.6 at 65mm. No 60mm.
    Yep, they need a goldilocks casing size.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yep, they need a goldilocks casing size.
    Yup... that was where the Goma was really nice. Was supposed to be a 2.4" (~60mm) but always was way bigger. My current measures closer to 2.6" and all of the previous I had seems to be between 2.5 and 2.6".

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Nice, my Vittoria rep wasnít kidding when they said soon.

29x2.35 ~952g

29x2.6 ~968g

I wish I didnít already have a half a dozen other tires, I wanna try these out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-1eb2fc6e-3a98-4547-bb0e-35e4f47e0703.jpg  

Vittoria Agarro-5e537046-6c69-4ded-92be-3212f66b8f88.jpg  

Hitching a ride
    By how much did they reduce the knob height on the 2.6?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    As far as I can tell without actually mounting a tire up, the knob heights are the same. Iím still trying to figure out how why there isnít more difference in weight between the 2.35 and 2.6.

Hitching a ride
    Thanks. If you have a micrometer you could measure the casing thicknesses. Then you would see the difference.

mtbr member
    As far as I can tell without actually mounting a tire up, the knob heights are the same. Iím still trying to figure out how why there isnít more difference in weight between the 2.35 and 2.6.
    hmmm, what's the bead-to-bead meaurement on the 2.35 vs the 2.6? (measure by laying the tyre flat and measuring across it's width)

Short-Change-Hero
    SELL THE 2.35 TO ME AND I WILL MOUNT AND MEASURE!!!
    Got so pissed at my rear ardent last night as it kept slipping on loose stuff that I rarely have problems with. Kept thinking to myself, I can't wait to be able to buy the Agarro!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Actual widths

Have you mounted these yet? Iím curious of the actual width. Not loving my Schwalbe 2.6ís. They are like big balloons. Hoping the Vittoria are actually smaller

Nice, my Vittoria rep wasnít kidding when they said soon.

29x2.35 ~952g

29x2.6 ~968g

I wish I didnít already have a half a dozen other tires, I wanna try these out!

Short-Change-Hero
    Just gonna leave this here!!

https://youtu.be/YXcoxSAz2P0

g=9.764m/s2

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has anyone ridden this tire yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Proudly Plus-Sized
    I'm really curious on the height of the tire as well as the actual width. Would consider putting it in my + HT, but don't want too much of a BB height decrease.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Has anyone ridden this tire yet?
    As the notice shows it becomes available for sale 10/15, that would be a No...

Hitching a ride
    952g for a 57mm 29er. Heavier than a Morsa which is wider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    952g for a 57mm 29er. Heavier than a Morsa which is wider.
    953g for an "enduro inspired performance that meets XC efficiency on your trail bike." Unsure how they can call anything XC efficiency when it weighs claimed 953g.

Vittoria's newer tires seem to be about 150gs heavier than they should be.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    953g for an "enduro inspired performance that meets XC efficiency on your trail bike." Unsure how they can call anything XC efficiency when it weighs claimed 953g.

Efficiency is more about rolling resistance than weight, in my mind.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any recommendations for rocky rooty that could be damp and leafy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Think they should ditch the APF insert (pinch guard) in their Endruo/Trail tires, sure that is adding quite a bit of weight (100 or more grams).

If you want/need pinch flat protection then a good light weight insert would work better and provide rim protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Efficiency is more about rolling resistance than weight, in my mind.
    Each gram of tire (rotational) weight is like adding 2 grams of weight to your bike. So set of tires weighing 300 grams more will be like adding 1.5lbs to your bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Each gram of tire (rotational) weight is like adding 2 grams of weight to your bike. So set of tires weighing 300 grams more will be like adding 1.5lbs to your bike.
    I understand that.

300g of rotating weight, or 1.5lbs total, isnít much compared to the differences in rolling resistance.

Iíd gladly add a pound to my bike to save 10w of rolling resistance without sacrificing cornering grip.

Death from Below.

Short-Change-Hero
    Lookie lookie!!!
    Just came this weekend, donít ask. 29x2.35 at 939g.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Think they should ditch the APF insert (pinch guard) in their Endruo/Trail tires, sure that is adding quite a bit of weight (100 or more grams).

If you want/need pinch flat protection then a good light weight insert would work better and provide rim protection.

True, but it wouldn't change anything with sidewall cuts.

You might be some infinitesimal amount slower with this added weight. But not nearly as slow as with a cut sidewall.

Not saying you need these tires. But many do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    True, but it wouldn't change anything with sidewall cuts.

You might be some infinitesimal amount slower with this added weight. But not nearly as slow as with a cut sidewall.

Not saying you need these tires. But many do.
    Looking at the APF insert, don't think it extends high enough to assist with sidewall cuts. I personally never had a sidewall cut that low. Plus the TNT casings are already fairly tough. I abuse the Mezcal on the rear (running a ARD insert) of my XC bike and have not cut a sidewall with them yet.

The Agarro looks like a slightly more aggressive Maxxis Rekon. Recently put a Rekon 2.4 on rear of my trail bike and its been a great tire so far (rolls fast and has acceptable grip). Have clearance for a small 2.6, so might try a Agarro 2.6 later down the road if they run small.

Hitching a ride
    I've been riding Vittoria tires exclusively in the rear for the last four years and never lost enough air pressure to use the apf strip. That's pretty impressive. Now these extra plus heavy versions will be even more tough!

The 2.6 won't be small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Lookie lookie!!!
    Just came this weekend, donít ask. 29x2.35 at 939g.

Please report back with some comparisons to other known tires.
    For me, that's about the right weight for an aggressive rear trail tire.
    That said, I love my Rock Razors for dry rocky trails.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Please report back with some comparisons to other known tires.
    For me, that's about the right weight for an aggressive rear trail tire.
    That said, I love my Rock Razors for dry rocky trails.

Will do. As soon as I get some time this week I will put it on and do some more measurements.

If anyone has something very specific they want a measurement on please let me know (please put a little detail into how you want measured). Otherwise I will provide general measurements once mounted.

This will be going on the rear of my current trail bike, which is a 2019 GET REVVED GG The Smash Size 3. Rear wheel is a DT Swiss M1900 which I believe is 29mm internal width.

Riding area/terrain: Northern NV High Desert and Lake Tahoe Loam (large variety of trail conditions in one area, so lots of loose over hard, sharp edge rocks, square edge rocks, some loose climbs, LOTS of switchbacks, some pea gravel, some granite scree. All depends on which trails).

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok got the tire mounted up tonight while doing other things. Mounted up in normal Vittoria fashion, super easy and aired right up. Currently sitting at 40psi to make sure everything seats for the night.

Took a few quick pics. First is with the TNT Goma 2.4 front wheel next to it.
    Next two are 57.9mm at the carcass and 57mm at the outer most knob. So looks to be a consistent size.
    Thing with Vittoriaís I have found is that they will spread a bit after being ridden some so it should grow slightly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Tread looks very promising. I hope it rolls faster and that can make up for it's weight. I have 4 coming today and will weigh for consistency. Unfortunately can't ride until next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok got the tire mounted up tonight while doing other things.
    You think the side knobs are big enough (stout enough) to corner reasonably hard without folding under too much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone mount a 29x2.6 yet? Curious if the diameter and casing width is consistent with the 29x2.6 Mezcal.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    You think the side knobs are big enough (stout enough) to corner reasonably hard without folding under too much?
    Honestly they felt a bit like the new Martello, just ever so slightly stiffer. Remember that many of their "Trail" tires are going to have a dual compound knobs, top section is going to be a much softer durometer rubber than the lower layer. So there will be some perceived "squirm" on hardpack but from what I remember when I was running the Martello, it was not discernible on the trail and actually made from some incredible traction when leaning over in certain conditions. With light waning so quickly, I have very limited time for rides after work. Hoping to get out on it tonight for a quick run-down ride. Then possibly a ride on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I received 4 today. Weights were pretty close to the 940g advertised for 29x2.35. widest variance was 12g.

I haven't installed yet. I am curious how these do in the wet and light mud snow of the transition months here. Vittoria rates as the highest for wet.

Short-Change-Hero
    I received 4 today. Weights were pretty close to the 940g advertised for 29x2.35. widest variance was 12g.

I haven't installed yet. I am curious how these do in the wet and light mud snow of the transition months here. Vittoria rates as the highest for wet.

Probably be able to tell you in a few weeks here. Storms are starting to roll through and unless we get a completely cold but dry winter, rain should start falling pretty often by mid November. Tahoe loam is a bit different that lots of other places as it is more gritty due to the consistency of granite rock and shale that we have. Don't get me wrong there are some serious deep, PNW type loam trails but they are pretty few and far between.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll probably try these next. Love my Schwalbes but knobs tearing off can be a bit of an issue sometimes.
    Would like to know if it's a real fast roller while providing medium traction.

On Edit: Just ordered one.

Having a nice day!
    Man, I've been waiting for Vittoria to release something like this. I was hoping it would come in the low 800s weight wise, but it might be worth trying it. I only wish Vittoria would lose the two-tone color on the upper level tires. I like all black tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Man, I've been waiting for Vittoria to release something like this. I was hoping it would come in the low 800s weight wise, but it might be worth trying it. I only wish Vittoria would lose the two-tone color on the upper level tires. I like all black tires
    The 4 I weighed come it at 940 and within 10g higher.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The 4 I weighed come it at 940 and within 10g higher.

Do Vittoria tires generally do particularly well resisting punctures?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Do Vittoria tires generally do particularly well resisting punctures?
    I have run various versions of the Barzo and only had 1 flat over 3 years. It was from a rock rim strike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am running last years Bazro / Mezcal and rode through many brutal rock gardens, they have held up really well. Other XC racers were flatting all around, I got through fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good to know.

Short-Change-Hero
    In all my years of riding I have pretty much always had Vittoria tires. I can only think of maybe ONCE that I had a flat with a tire. The GOMA that is pictured next to the Agarro is currently my front tire and has been on two bikes for lots of mileage. In the time that tire has been on the front I have destroyed two different EXO casing Maxxis tires. I ride plenty of chunk so not something where I am gentle on it or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any feedback. I won't have mine on the trail until Friday. I am most curious about rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Mounted up a 29x2.6 last night. Weights are right around 1025.
    2.55" casing, 2.5" Knobs and 29.5" Diameter on 35mm internal rims.
    These do not share the same casing size as the 2.6 Mezcal....

Live Free & Ride
    Ride up a few days ago on Youtube....looks good for what we have here in NE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKRydIEG-rI
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Short-Change-Hero
    Finally got a chance to get out and ride last night... Short 10 mile ride for me with about 4 miles of pavement/gravel pounding. Running tire at 26.5psi and it rolled great, did not feel like it was dragging or like rolling resistance was high or anything. This is comparing most recently against the 2.4" Exo Ardent that was on the rear.

Traction was just as I expected it for the tread pattern, great in all situations. I am lucky that I have a large variety of terrain in a single ride.
    - Loose and gravely climbs were not problem. Seated climbing vs. standing and mashing did not cause the tire to slip (the Ardent would).
    - Couple of small waterfall, rock climbs that I did posed no issue for the tire. It hooked up great and provided every bit of traction I needed.
    - Downhill on fast, flowy, loose over hard yielded great traction. No slipping or vague transitions during cornering or turns.
    - Downhill on chunky terrain, staircase and over bridges posed little concern.
    - Downhill in loose, sandy area actually had a small, but very controlled drift. Front tire hit the transition point where it wanted to either slide or wash but luckily the rear just pushed me around without issue.

So for the first ride impressions, yeah she likes grip and will give you loads of it! Supposed to potentially get a storm this weekend so if the trails are a little damp I will try to get out and see how things hook up. These are very similar feelings to the Martello but in a somewhat lighter feeling tire, so if that is true, then this thing will not disappoint when the ground gets damp!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for that. Mine arrives tomorrow and I'm eager to try it.
    The weight, size, tread design, and fast rolling compound seems ideal. Like a better compound Aggressor 2.35"-2.4".

mtbr member
    For those with experience on the Martello what would you say are pro/con in comparison.

Ive been using Martello front and rear and have been happy with both grip and wear.

These seem to be comparable in weight??

Short-Change-Hero
    If i remember correctly when I had my Martello I believe that it was comparable in size. Slightly heavier and slightly more rolling resistance on hardpack/pavement/etc. but good for looser terrain. Never had any issues with durability or with it not hooking up or anything like that, just wanted something slightly lighter in the rear. Wish I remembered what the hell I did with it.

I don't know if the Aggressor comparison is necessarily a good one. They have similar looking tread patterns but that is about where it ends. I had issues with the aggressor hooking up properly for me (original setup on this bike was a DHF/Aggressor) and while it wasn't bad, it was nowhere near as good as this Agarro has been. Granted I only have one ride on the new tire so that could change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Have found as I learn to ride better, have more experience, and have tried more parts, that some bikes/ setups can work well with different tires where-as others not so much.

My Foxy 29 (long front end) really likes an aggressive front tire to stay hooked up but can essentially get great traction in the rear with any old tire you can place back there. My Foxy can climb things with a fast rolling short knob rear tire that my old Yeti 5.5 could only dream of. But then again the Yeti had a slight advantage in front end traction (highlighted when I hopped on my old bike recently). For me this is a good trade off as I can get some huge RR improvements running fast rubber in the back on the Foxy.

That said, when I finally got around to testing the Aggressor 2.3 just recently I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance and I understood why so many manufacturers spec it. For me it was a high traction and consistent rear tire but just a good bit slow rolling and also bouncy due to it's small size I guess.

Currently I've been running the Rock Razor as a rear and it only occasionally lets me down on a very steep standing climb with low traction. In other situations, the Rock Razor just kills it. Tire is fast as heck all around although a bit fragile I'm finding.

The reason I'm slapping on a new Agarro for a try is I'm hoping to gain a bit of reliability while also being in a better position to deal with inclement weather without a tire swap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Agarro is a fantastic tire. I'm certifiable when it comes to tires and try bunches with multiple new ones on the shelf and was able to get in a fast hard ride on the Agarro today.
    The weight, sizing (don't believe in wide rear tires personally) and thickness of the carcass is right where I want it to be, just enough to hold up most of the time without being an anchor. I could feel the additional weight when spinning it up compared to my removed Rock Razor but ya know, trade offs. I don't puncture my snakeskin carcasses real often, but enough where it's getting old. Maybe once every 10 rides.
    The Agarro has a very damped feel, which I like. It feels cushy and slow to rebound. I ran it at 24psi with a Tubolight insert which is my usual set up for a rear tire.
    In spite of the weight, it's a darn fast tire. Really noticeably fast even in the parking lot. Like shockingly fast. Most tires feel extra draggy for the first 5-7 miles and then settle in, a break in I guess. Not the Agarro! No detectable difference from the first pedal stroke to the one after 11 miles. A few times it made a whirring noise when I was really pedaling, like a windmill or something. Don't recall hearing that before.
    Traction was not amazing but I consider it just right. Like straight up and down a solid '7.5' and leaned over a solid '8.25'. It resulted in balanced handling at the limit. Having too much rear traction overwhelms the front tire in my experience and makes the bike an unpleasant handful. I got some slips when doing slow steep climbs I'd say a bit less slip than a RR, and notably more than a HD2. Totally livable, I'm talking steep slippery ledges all out effort with chunk, not your everyday climb.
    It's been the second hottest summer on record in ATX so my Rock Razor had never seen a wet trail. My plan was to run the RR when bone dry and the HD2 when more moisture was on the ground and I was feeling stronger (like not 104 degrees with 80% humidity so I feel stronger) But I feel the Agarro gives me everything I need without the need to swap tires for a damp trail. Clearly the knobs will do better in loose dirt than the nearly smooth RR. I don't ride 'loamy' trails unless I go to Bentonville so don't worry about those conditions much. It's basically rock where I ride.
    It felt great overall and at this very moment if I had to pick one rear tire to run long term, this would be it. If I feel the same after several rides It'll become my standard rear tire and I'll run this one until I discover something better (always testing). I might still slap a Rock Razor on for scorching hot and dry summer rides. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind!
    In the 5 years I've been riding bikes it seems tires and bikes have gotten better by leaps and bounds. Certainly much of it's me but I remember barely being able to tell a difference in tires at some points early on. No longer the case, tires are really the easiest way to get real gains in bike (equipment) performance.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-25-2019 at 05:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Decided to get a set for wetter fall riding. Had them for a bit over a week and it's pretty much a mega-Peyote. It's fast like the Peyote (not as fast, but fast), handles similarly, but has a lot more grip. Mud clearing on the side knobs is a bit of an issue though, it's not like my Michelin Wild AM where the side knobs are pretty much impossible to clog unless the mud is so bad that the tires won't turn. Also doesn't corner as well, especially on loose blown out dirt but it is noticeably faster rolling than the Wild AM so it's not a bad trade.

Overall it's nice but not the right tire for me, at least, not on the bike I'm using it on. If I had it on a hardtail instead of my enduro bike it would probably be ideal, but they don't make them in 26".

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode 29" front and rear today in mid Atlantic singletrack. Trails were slightly damp and tacky with moderate leaf fall. These trails are moderately rooty and some rock gardens. Overall tire did great. Never had a issue in the turns. Techy punchys were pretty good. Coming from a full Enduro tire slight adjustments were required but easy. Not much mud but I will see some tomorrow afternoon.

They are really easy following and I dare say fast. I was worried about the weight, but maybe the following resistance made up for it. Time will tell as conditions change.

mtbr member
    I would love to see a head-to-head vs a Maxxis Rekon in 2.4 3C Maxterra - my go to summer tires for rocky rooty New England chug-chug pedaly rides (exact same stuff that DirtWireTV rode in his video). I was in love with the Rekons until the leaves fell and started to hold moisture. Swapped them out for Bontrager XR4/SE4 but am still looking back. Rosebud...
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    I would love to see a head-to-head vs a Maxxis Rekon in 2.4 3C Maxterra - my go to summer tires for rocky rooty New England chug-chug pedaly rides (exact same stuff that DirtWireTV rode in his video). I was in love with the Rekons until the leaves fell and started to hold moisture. Swapped them out for Bontrager XR4/SE4 but am still looking back. Rosebud...
    Rode them yesterday for a second time. We had almost an inch of rain between 9pm Saturday and 12 pm Sunday. However it has been really dry beforehand. Trails were damp and leaf covered. They worked great. Shockingly so. Only a few puddles. Not full out wet or muddy. The Rekons wouldn't have done well.

mtbr member
    The Rekons wouldn't have done well.
    Why do you suppose that is - compound? I love the Rekons in the dry but once things are damp something changes and it goes from gripping to skating, especially once we get some leaf/pine needle cover at which point I have to be more deliberate in turns. The Agarro seems to have pretty much the same tread pattern and I can't see it doing much better in these conditions.

The 2.35 is still measuring small? 2.4 Rekon measures 2.35 almost exactly which is fine with me, but I don't want anything narrower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Why do you suppose that is - compound? I love the Rekons in the dry but once things are damp something changes and it goes from gripping to skating, especially once we get some leaf/pine needle cover at which point I have to be more deliberate in turns. The Agarro seems to have pretty much the same tread pattern and I can't see it doing much better in these conditions.

The 2.35 is still measuring small? 2.4 Rekon measures 2.35 almost exactly which is fine with me, but I don't want anything narrower.
    Not sure. I tried the Rekons in various sizes and each time they failed when it got wet. The Agarro has a lot of knobs and I can see why you think it looks like the Rekon. Seems like every knob has sipping. Could be compound too. Keep in mind the Agarro is 940g and heavier than the Rekon if you are sensitive to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Decided to get a set for wetter fall riding. Had them for a bit over a week and it's pretty much a mega-Peyote. It's fast like the Peyote (not as fast, but fast), handles similarly, but has a lot more grip. Mud clearing on the side knobs is a bit of an issue though, it's not like my Michelin Wild AM where the side knobs are pretty much impossible to clog unless the mud is so bad that the tires won't turn. Also doesn't corner as well, especially on loose blown out dirt but it is noticeably faster rolling than the Wild AM so it's not a bad trade.

Overall it's nice but not the right tire for me, at least, not on the bike I'm using it on. If I had it on a hardtail instead of my enduro bike it would probably be ideal, but they don't make them in 26".
    If those Agarro's are 29 x 2.35s PM me and let's work out a purchase or tire trade.

Short-Change-Hero
    Got a second ride on the bike in slightly different terrain on Friday last week. For those that know, I rode Peavine Mtn. in Reno, NV. This is a very dry and exposed trail that normally is loose over hard, hardpack with some pea gravel strewn here and there. The main thing with Peavine Mtn. though is that the soil is more clay based, so when it gets wet, it becomes snotty, slimy, slippery garbage. Luckily I had none of that! LOL

The tire did exceptionally well, lots of high speed, loose corners that I would have normally slipped out on but never had any issues with traction. Even purposefully locked up the rear to skid on a couple loose corners and she still yielded better traction than I could have expected. Need more daylight to be able to get some rock scrambles and whatnot in but the tire has some serious grip from what I have experienced.

g=9.764m/s2
    To compare: 29x2.6 Agarro vs 29x2.5 DHF on DTSwiss M-1900 30id wheels:

New Agarro - 988g - mounted easily, aired up and seated with track pump
    Tread width: 63/2.5
    Height w/rim: 79/3.15
    Tread height center: 4mm
    Tread height outer: 5mm

Lightly used DHF EXO TR
    Tread width: 64/2.55
    Height w/rim: 79/3.15
    Tread height center: 4mm
    Tread height outer: 6mm

g=9.764m/s2
    Vittoria has set the bar high with this tire!

Two 1.5hr rides in with 29x2.6 Agarro on rear since the Thursday night Mid-Atlantic storms dumped brief heavy rain. It has given sure footed full traction in short punchy climbs up moist leaf covered root and rock, total control down fast tight and twisty singletrack with fresh thick leaf cover, cranks through soft dips and water holes without slippage providing outstanding performance in moist Fall trail conditions overall. With temps in the 40s it is still holding full 22psi without any sealant.

For my frame of reference, I went straight from a Mezcal2.35/Gato2.2 combo when my XC bike died to a DHF2.5/DHRII2.4 combo on a FS trail bike. IMO the Agarro provides easy rolling efficiency like the Gato with the confident grippy traction and control like the DHRII. The unbelievable rolling/climbing efficiency and grip of the Agarro absolutely makes the dreaded climbs much easier! Jeffsy has a new trail shoe!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's the first rear tire ever that I just said 'it's perfect, would not change one thing about it'.
    Today I did a lot of pedaling with other riders (transfer sections at an Enduro race) and my whole set up (me and the bike obviously) allowed me to frankly smoke the other riders on the climbs. Too bad those aren't timed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    May I ask what do you have on the front? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    3rd ride today. Really impressed. F
    Running front and back. Leafy Rocky and rooty terrain today. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I was talking with someone at Vittoria about the Agarro, and he told me that it's potentially unsafe and/or won't work with hookless rims. I have Ibis 942's, which are hookless (and 35id). seems odd that they'd come out with a new tire that won't work on many rims -- and that there's no clear warning on the website. anyone know anything about this? i actually called Vittoria twice about it; same answer both times.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by xtopher whyte View Post
    I was talking with someone at Vittoria about the Agarro, and he told me that it's potentially unsafe and/or won't work with hookless rims. I have Ibis 942's, which are hookless (and 35id). seems odd that they'd come out with a new tire that won't work on many rims -- and that there's no clear warning on the website. anyone know anything about this? i actually called Vittoria twice about it; same answer both times.
    That does seem very strange since hookless rims have been on trend now for well over 5 years. Never had a problem with them and actually prefer them for installing tires and both Ibis and ENVE agree...

Ibisí Scot Nicol agrees. ďWe feel that hookless is the future. Enough companies have done it successfully that others are starting to get convinced hooks are not needed for low pressure tubeless tires.Ē

"ENVEís original rim design above used bead hooks; the company has recently moved away from them, citing higher impact strength and performance gains."

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/t...-off-the-hook/
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Whoever youíre talking to at Vittoria is either ignorant of what hookless rims are, or is taking an overly risk averse stance. Iíve setup Aggaros on multiple makes of hookless rim with absolutely zero issues. Theres no notable difference between the beads on these tires and any other tubeless Vittoria.

g=9.764m/s2
    Trend or not, iíve 5 wheel sets 3 or less years old all different makes and run Vittoria on each of them without issue. Must be the high dollar wheels yíall are referring to that grunts like moi cannot afford.

If that statement is factual, it must apply to Vittoria MTB tires in general meaning they have yet to buy into the trend. I enjoy a good bead lock as I have yet to Burp a tire!

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...Tech_7386.html
    ďGiven all of the safety concerns, why bother making a rim hookless? We borrowed this quote from the blog of Rene Herse Cycles (formerly Compass Cycles Ė a manufacturer of high-end tires): ďThe hook has a crucial function in keeping the tire on the rim. Other rim and tire makers have tested and found the same: The hook significantly increases the pressure at which the tire safely stays on the rimÖ Why [make hookless rims]? Mostly because the hook is difficult to make with carbon fiber: It requires a complex 3-piece mold for the rim bed.ĒĒ

Hitching a ride
    Vittoria has talented engineers and manufacturing people. The sales people are morons. If you call them, don't bother. If you see them at a trade show, don't waste your time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Can't see this as true especially for the number of hookless rims made today. If it is they are morons. I would also think that their legal department would have this posted everywhere. I have the new Agarro and have had no issues. It's a phenomenal tire. Also run Barzos for years. Never an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Gomas and Mezcals have been my preferred tires for years. Currently on Onza Ibex and feel they're decent tires, but a bit 'bouncy' if that makes sense. I may try Agarro's next. TNT and G+ have been the most solid setups i've ever experienced. I kill Maxxis EXOs....

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Whoever youíre talking to at Vittoria is either ignorant of what hookless rims are, or is taking an overly risk averse stance. Iíve setup Aggaros on multiple makes of hookless rim with absolutely zero issues. Theres no notable difference between the beads on these tires and any other tubeless Vittoria.
    Thanks. Have you used 2.6 on wider rims like the Ibis 942? These were odd conversations -- the guy talked to some manager and then confirmed that they wouldn't work on hookless rims. it makes no sense, and I've been running Marello 2.35 front and rear all summer, no problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Can't see this as true especially for the number of hookless rims made today. If it is they are morons. I would also think that their legal department would have this posted everywhere. I have the new Agarro and have had no issues. It's a phenomenal tire. Also run Barzos for years. Never an issue.

Thanks. You're using the Agarro on hookless rims? It looks like a sweet tire; these 2 phone calls were bizarre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks. You're using the Agarro on hookless rims? It looks like a sweet tire; these 2 phone calls were bizarre.
    I am using Agarro on the new Zipp 3zero Moto hookless rims.

Moderator Moderator
    In your experience, are the casing sizes the same between models? I'm riding DHF/DHR2/Assegai in 2.5s, which run small, but the overall size is good for me. I'm wondering which would be closer, a 2.35 or 2.6? Although, for this tire, it'd be on the back, so smaller would be OK. I'm liking the idea of the Mazza for up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I donít think they would work very well on super wide rims. 30mm seems like the max IW for the correct tire profile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Definitely the 2.6. Itís a small 2.6, nowhere near as voluminous as the Mezcal.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    In your experience, are the casing sizes the same between models? I'm riding DHF/DHR2/Assegai in 2.5s, which run small, but the overall size is good for me. I'm wondering which would be closer, a 2.35 or 2.6? Although, for this tire, it'd be on the back, so smaller would be OK. I'm liking the idea of the Mazza for up front.
    Post #90 Conít
    On 30id rim

Agarro 29x 2.6
    Casing - 62/2.45

DHF 29x2.5
    Casing - 61/2.4
    Last edited by Undescended; 11-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Hitching a ride
    Wow, small casing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

It definitely looks like theres something else in the works. A more Minion-esque style tire. Possibly called the "Mazza" We all know the minion works great so I'm not at all sad to see vittoria add one to the lineup. And, who knows, with 4C, G2.0, Progressive siping and better casings. . .dare I say a BETTER MINION!? Also, if Colin Bailey is really working with Vittoria then a Minion clone makes perfect sense.Vittoria Agarro-20191113_195014.jpgVittoria Agarro-screenshot_20191113-194811_instagram.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191113_195014.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	1292717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191113-194811_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	1292719

JB
    The casing measurement on the 2.6 Agarro is only 1mm wider than my 2.35 Martello. I wonder if they share the same casing?

Any ride reports for the 2.6 as a rear tire? I want something a bit faster rolling than the Martello, but don't want to give up any volume.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's rare that I order the same tire twice. But I went ahead and ordered another Agarro for my next rear too. Price on ebay is very good as well, less than last time.
    This one is showing typical wear for the riding I do.
    Guessing around 80 miles but at least 1/3 of those miles are with my family meaning I'm going quite slowly. I kill tires at an alarming rate unfortunately, at least for a middle aged novice! I'd say these are wearing average to maybe slightly quicker than average.
    The performance currently is identical to when new so I'll run them till they begin to let me down.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 11-26-2019 at 02:22 PM.

g=9.764m/s2
    Here is a first ride review from my mentor. ďAgarro was nice and grippy especially over wet leaf covered rocks yet less drag than an Aggressor. Conditions were slightly slick but stopping was a little more adventurous today in rapid deceleration situations.
    I made it every rock garden except the river trail today so it was fine in the chunk.
    It's way to much weight and drag for riding at MR WC cross country trails IMHO. But it rocks as an extremely aggressive trail and enduro tire. Made my rear feel like it had extra travel, must be a compliant casing.Ē

Also,
    Vittoria.com Promo
    25% off plus Free Shipping through 12/2/19
    Code: THANKFUL25

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Agree with everything your mentor said in the review above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I would add that it rolls really really well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Compared to other hard trail/ Enduro tires, yes it rolls very well. For instance, it rolls better than an Aggressor and much better than a DHR2, with similar or better performance.
    Compared to XC tires, it rolls poorly however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone compare the agarro to the specialized eliminator? Looking for a new rear tire for my trail bike and these two are left on my list. I ride hard pack with chunk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Anyone compare the agarro to the specialized eliminator? Looking for a new rear tire for my trail bike and these two are left on my list. I ride hard pack with chunk.
    Been on a 2.6 Eliminator up front now for 6 months, can't compare to Agarro but compared to a Aggressor 2.5 it seems to roll a bit faster and hooks up nicely in my dry AZ desert conditions.

I will be looking for new rear also here soon to replace a Rekon 2.4 and was looking at Agarro also, but their 2.6 appears to be tiny and looks like it is a fast wearing tire.

Think the new Specialized Purgatory(2020) 2.6 is the rear tire I am going to go with and try. What little reviews there are out on it, appears to be fast rolling balanced trail tire (like Agarro) and I am liking Specialized compound seems to wears nicely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My 29x2.35 measures exact. Been running these pretty hard for about 200 miles. Even on square edge sharp rocks, no issues or excessive wear. Roll extremely well, but wish weight was a little less.

g=9.764m/s2
    Winter report... Agarro rear traction is on par with DHF front in the later day Thaw Butter. Both equally smeared through the twists and turns of the open field muck while Agarro clawed the bike up the slimy climbs...continues to impress

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Still really like my Agarro although I'm struggling with climbing traction a bit lately. Could be more damp trails, or just the edges on the Agarro being rounded. It's worn very well!
    Have a new one on the shelf to go on next, but I am going to use Strava to make some direct trail time comparisons to a couple of other favorites, HD2 & Rock Razor, my 2 other favorite rear tires.
    As of this moment, it's definitely my favorite rear tire overall and I've tried so many.

mtbr member
    Still really like my Agarro although I'm struggling with climbing traction a bit lately. Could be more damp trails, or just the edges on the Agarro being rounded. It's worn very well!
    Have a new one on the shelf to go on next, but I am going to use Strava to make some direct trail time comparisons to a couple of other favorites, HD2 & Rock Razor, my 2 other favorite rear tires.
    As of this moment, it's definitely my favorite rear tire overall and I've tried so many.

Looking forward to your Strave comparisons

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Still loving the Agarro but I'm swapping it a bit early for a new one. I'm injured so taking the down time to go through the bike and fresh tires are on the menu.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been looking for the goldilocks tire for use on my HD3 here in VT. Our dirt is soft and not very fast so a nice rolling tire is needed. We have roots and rocks too, but really a lot of dirt. I get out to fruit/Moab most every year, but I've never suffered for traction out there.

What do you think of the Agarro as a front/rear for New England style dirt? I've run through the following combos all 2.6.
    DHF/Forekaster (DHF more than I need, Forekaster not bad actually and rolls well
    DHF/DHR: slow as fat pigs. Way too much for trail riding
    Bontrager XR4/SE4: not enough grip in corners, but roll great
    Schwalbe HansDampf/NobbyNic: not bad, but the NN may be too slippery for my liking. Was thinking about another HD for the rear.

Is the Agarro grippy as a front? Will it do well in loose soil if its so grippy on rocks and dry trails?

mtbr member
    The DHF is too much but the XR4 isn't enough? The XR4/SE4 is my southern New England goldilocks technical trail tire (with a Rekon out back in the summer) but speeds down here aren't what they are in VT. From pictures the Agarro looks more like a grippier (and heavier) Rekon than a front end alternative to a DHF.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have been riding the Agarro now for 400 kilometers and i like them very much - very good rolling on asphalt, good grip in rocky conditions and even good traction in snowy conditions...
    Vittoria Agarro-2.jpgVittoria Agarro-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does anyone know why I can no longer see other users photos on Tapatalk? They are all greyed out.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know why I can no longer see other users photos on Tapatalk? They are all greyed out.
    Thanks.

My phone started doing that a few weeks ago and I fixed it by uninstalling and then installing the app again.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    So finally started riding more consistently seeing as mother nature has decided that she is either done with winter or has something up her sleeve. Pretty much a two wheel winter for us here in No.NV.

Anyways, I think I have found the one "chink" in the armor of the Agarro. The limited mileage I have put on it so far everything has been great; rolling resistance on the road is perfect (no more or less than any other Vittoria tire I have owned), traction has been awesome in my varied conditions, the one thing that I have found is that when the trail gets a bit mucky or overly damp the extra traction from all the knobs makes the tire VERY sluggish. This was exemplified this last weekend when Nurse_Ben and I took to our local trail to do some probing on the snow line. There were some seriously soupy sections that the tire did ok but I noticed that in those few sections where it was just wet enough to NOT be soupy or muddy, but dry enough that it wasn't packed down that the tire felt like it had a HUGE drag on it.

So far, this is the ONLY issue I have with the tire after a few hundred miles on it. My front GOMA is finally getting to the point where the knobs are worn down enough that if I push in the sand on a corner the "vague" section has expanded quite a bit. She still has some life in her but will need replacing in the near future, soooo I am debating between a 2.6 Martello or Agarro. Decisions, Decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Been riding the Agarro all over since release. It have beat it hard for sure. It flat our works in everything in the rocky and rooty east coast region. But I haven't had on loose over hard pack. It has been bullet proof too.

In sticky mud it will get full because the knobs are close. But in wet or wet dirt that doesn't stick much, it's killer.

Although not light, it rolls so well.

It doesn't look like it should be so good, but so far it's really really good.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah would have to agree that while it doesn't seem light, it sure rolls like it. But I have found that with most of Vittoria's tires. Still enjoying it immensely in all the randomness that we have been having, finally got it to spin on a slab that was super dusty today but really was like a third rotation or less before it grabbed and I was up and over the obstacle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Just chiming in here... another EC tech rider in love with the Agarro. I've been riding it since pre-production prototype form starting about a year and a half ago, and it's still my favorite trail tire of all time. I was riding the 2.35s on 25mm ID rims, and now running the 2.6 on 30mm ID rims. I absolutely love the 2.6 - rolls so fast, crazy good traction on the stuff I ride, from dry to wet/slimy, and only 20g heavier than the 2.35. In the front, it doesn't bite in loose stuff like a DHF, but in everything else it's just so good. I'm running it front and rear on my trail bike and totally happy with it. Another note - I run pretty low pressure and have only punctured twice in 18 months of riding these over crazy rough stuff.

mtbr member
    How does the 2.6 measure in the real world?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thats what i want to know too

mtbr member
    How does the 2.6 measure in the real world?
    On an Ibis S35 rim I get the following

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Nice, that wil fit my frame perfect. The barzo2.6 is a bit wider at 2.68 on 34id rims

mtbr member
    I wish the 2.4 didn't measure in so small. An actual 2.4 on an i30 is an ideal size for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's a 2.35, and it is small. But it performs so well.

Thicc Member
    It's 57mm so that is a 2.25. Once again, Vittoria makes another excellent rear tire, mediocre front. I have a 2.6 on order for the rear.

g=9.764m/s2
    Weíre all waitin on the Mezza to grace the front end!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    Weíre all waitin on the Mezza to grace the front end!
    I'm Mezza curious as well but the Martello as a front is phenomenal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm Mezza curious as well but the Martello as a front is phenomenal.

Compared too?
    Bird zero AM with mt7 danny mcaskill, eagle nextie and some fun bits

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    Compared too?
    DHF, DHR2, Dissector, Shorty, MM, NN, Assagai, MSC Gripper, Eliminator, and a few others over the last couple of years.

The only other tire that is a contender for a best front is the Edge 22 which I was a tester for. Very eager to test the production soft version of the E22. It's a great tire imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ok, thnx!!, i'm in the run for another set of tires for the austrian alps. think of trying the martello and aggaro combo
    Bird zero AM with mt7 danny mcaskill, eagle nextie and some fun bits

Thicc Member
    I'm putting together an Agarro and Martello combo for wet weather riding, for grip on Texas limestone. But my buddies who use the Martello up front cannot keep up with me in turns. I think it's because the knobs are soft and blocky and don't bite into the ground. You can see Jeff Lenosky's video where he rides that off camber trail and everyone running Minions rides it fine but he keeps sliding out on Martellos.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For me, I find the Martello to even be more consistent in traction than the Assagai.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    I'm putting together an Agarro and Martello combo for wet weather riding, for grip on Texas limestone. But my buddies who use the Martello up front cannot keep up with me in turns. I think it's because the knobs are soft and blocky and don't bite into the ground. You can see Jeff Lenosky's video where he rides that off camber trail and everyone running Minions rides it fine but he keeps sliding out on Martellos.
    I am doing the same. Currently have a 2.35 coming to replace my warn Goma up front. See how things play out in our varied terrain here in Northern NV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    I sincerely hate wet weather riding so avoid it. It only happens accidentally.
    Yesterday was one of those accidents when I rode the Austin GB 2 days after rains and it was still very moist in many places, and I did it on the exact set up you just mentioned.
    Horrible. Tires front and back, but especially the rear Agarro, were like mud slicks. The rotating weight was awful, the front tire slipped on every rock, and the rear pretty much anytime I pedaled. My bike has poor clearance around the rear tire so that got clogged too. If your wet weather riding is RPR, where it's all grippy limestone, well anything grips as long as you don't carry the mud with you on to the limestone.
    At least in our mud (very sticky with rocks) I could never recommend that as a wet set up. If I ever cared to ride that crap again, I'd run a Magic Mary (narrow rim) or Shorty 2.5 (wide rim) up front and almost certainly a Dissector for the rear. It's all about tires that are known fast rollers (particularly in the rear) with large gaps between the knobs.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I sincerely hate wet weather riding so avoid it. It only happens accidentally.
    Yesterday was one of those accidents when I rode the Austin GB 2 days after rains and it was still very moist in many places, and I did it on the exact set up you just mentioned.
    Horrible. Tires front and back, but especially the rear Agarro, were like mud slicks.
    At least in our mud (very sticky with rocks) I could never recommend that as a wet set up. If I ever cared to ride that crap again, I'd run a Magic Mary (narrow rim) or Shorty 2.5 (wide rim) up front and almost certainly a Dissector for the rear. It's all about tires that are known fast rollers (particularly in the rear) with large gaps between the knobs.
    Good luck.

Interestingly, what works well as a wet weather tire differs so much in the type of surface you're on. I find the Agarro (or Martello) to be one of the best (if not the best) for wet roots/rocks on the stuff I ride, but agreed that in mud it's terrible (not surprising given the tightly-spaced tread pattern). For wet rocks/roots, you want siping and a grippy rubber compound, combined with a construction that lets you ride low enough pressure to conform to the terrain, while for muddy stuff (which I try to avoid anyway) you want the typical mud tire (widely spaced lugs with better clearing ability). Since I rarely ride in mud, the Agarros work really well for me on both dry and wet days. YMMV obviously.

Thicc Member
    I'm mainly thinking about these misty, high humid mornings that turn the limestone into slick rock. Agree on the mud, avoid completely.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    Interestingly, what works well as a wet weather tire differs so much in the type of surface you're on. I find the Agarro (or Martello) to be one of the best (if not the best) for wet roots/rocks on the stuff I ride, but agreed that in mud it's terrible (not surprising given the tightly-spaced tread pattern). For wet rocks/roots, you want siping and a grippy rubber compound, combined with a construction that lets you ride low enough pressure to conform to the terrain, while for muddy stuff (which I try to avoid anyway) you want the typical mud tire (widely spaced lugs with better clearing ability). Since I rarely ride in mud, the Agarros work really well for me on both dry and wet days. YMMV obviously.
    Same here... the described situation/terrain will destroy anything that is not a heavily spaced mudd-ish tyre. So in vittoria's like the rider would have been better off with the Mota and Morsa than anything else. The Martello and Agarro are drier climate tires. Though I have found that in the high desert, the day or so after a decent rain (not sloppy trails, I avoid that) these tires hook up like a cat on carpet. Traction for DAAAYYYZZZZ. I am excited to give the Martello front, Agarro rear a try in my climate. Should be an awesome setup.

But that is one of the reasons that I LOVED the Goma so much, it was a good inbetween tyre. Something not quite a knobby as the Mota or other pure mud tires, but not as super micro/mini knobbed as something like the Barzo or Agarro.

NedwannaB
    For me, I find the Martello to even be more consistent in traction than the Assagai.

Jumping into this thread but a little off topic, but still on Vittoria topic. Not interested in the OT Agarro as I'm looking for a rear to go along with a Morsa up front. Thinking Martello now. One of the guys at my LBS rec'd it and him being ~6'-2ish/220ish using them fr/rr on a SS without issue. Just thought they were a little small per the callout size.

Looking for suggestions here. It will be for a 140# rider on a new short travel 29r. I used to run a Morsa front Barzo in back before on my xc rigs. Was originally looking at getting one of those again, or the Mezcal, now thinking to get a little more of a robust tire in back anticipating some more aggressive xc/trail outings. The 2.35 Martello appears to be heavier then the Morsa which would be fine if it rolled fairly decent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Jumping into this thread but a little off topic, but still on Vittoria topic. Not interested in the OT Agarro as I'm looking for a rear to go along with a Morsa up front. Thinking Martello now. One of the guys at my LBS rec'd it and him being ~6'-2ish/220ish using them fr/rr on a SS without issue. Just thought they were a little small per the callout size.

Looking for suggestions here. It will be for a 140# rider on a new short travel 29r. I used to run a Morsa front Barzo in back before on my xc rigs. Was originally looking at getting one of those again, or the Mezcal, now thinking to get a little more of a robust tire in back anticipating some more aggressive xc/trail outings. The 2.35 Martello appears to be heavier then the Morsa which would be fine if it rolled fairly decent.
    Not sure I understand you ruling out the Agarro?

NedwannaB
    Not sure I understand you ruling out the Agarro?

This is coming from someone that's been getting away with FastTracks and Ardent Race rear tires. :0 I haven't seen an Agarro in person, it just looks more aggressive than the Martello, no? I did have a DHF/Aggressor on the bike I just sold so was thinking the Morsa/Martello would be about the same setup.

Edit: I just zoomed in on the pic with tire description stating "between the Barzo and Martello". D'oh! Maybe I should get the shop to order some in!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    This is coming from someone that's been getting away with FastTracks and Ardent Race rear tires. :0 I haven't seen an Agarro in person, it just looks more aggressive than the Martello, no? I did have a DHF/Aggressor on the bike I just sold so was thinking the Morsa/Martello would be about the same setup.

Edit: I just zoomed in on the pic with tire description stating "between the Barzo and Martello". D'oh! Maybe I should get the shop to order some in!
    The Agarro has a lot of knobbies, but they are not as aggressive as the tires you mention. Now that could be interpreted poorly, but don't be mislead. They have a ton of design and function behind them and grip really well. BUT roll fast as hell. It's punches above what you expect, rolls faster too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    The Agarro has a lot of knobbies, but they are not as aggressive as the tires you mention. Now that could be interpreted poorly, but don't be mislead. They have a ton of design and function behind them and grip really well. BUT roll fast as hell. It's punches above what you expect, rolls faster too.

Yeah, definitely try the Agarro as a robust (in terms of durability/abuse) and fast rear trail tire. Personally I would pair it with a Martello up front rather than the Morsa, simply because the Martello has similar traction characteristics (especially in wet rough terrain) to the Agarro. The Morsa is... "challenging"... over wet roots/rocks. The Morsa is a good fast-rolling DRY rear tire, but isn't as versatile in my opinion as the Agarro.

NedwannaB
    Yeah, definitely try the Agarro as a robust (in terms of durability/abuse) and fast rear trail tire. Personally I would pair it with a Martello up front rather than the Morsa, simply because the Martello has similar traction characteristics (especially in wet rough terrain) to the Agarro. The Morsa is... "challenging"... over wet roots/rocks. The Morsa is a good fast-rolling DRY rear tire, but isn't as versatile in my opinion as the Agarro.
    Since we're entering late spring now out here in NorCal not too worried about the wetness issues with Morsa up front(that's the only place I've run it). So maybe the Martello up front, Morsa in rear, forgo the Agarro in back at this time? Really only have one new tire in budget.

Ugh, the plot thickens.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Can someone that has an Agarro 29x2.6 measure with diameter of tire or height above rim bead?

g=9.764m/s2
    On 30mm rim at 18psi, width 2.5 and height from bead about 2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I just straight up say that I ride a Motobecane, a BD bike, and acknowledge I consider it to be the Harbor Freight of bikes

NedwannaB
    Dirtwire on youtube did a review on the 2.6 switching from the 2.3's.

mtbr member

Martelo 29x2.6 Front and Agarro 29x2.6 rear. Both Trail Casings

Ive been testing this set up as my 'trail' wheels and concur with everyone about the Agarro. It rolls really well, bites great on the climbs but I find its braking traction on rock/loose somewhat limited (only in comparison to Maxterra DHR/DHF and E13 EN Race etc ).

Many like to compare it with an Agressor. I can only compare it to the 29x2.3 which only comes in dual compound. The Agarro is in another league in terms of grip, damping and casing feel. The Agressor is slippery and dead feeling in comparison. Slower too.

It's also far superior to a Rekon in every sense. My wife who prefers trail riding had a 2.6 Rekon as a rear tyre and I swapped it for a 2.6 Agarro. Transformed her ride. She could ride up slippery rock sections and tech with far more ease. Didnt slow her down either. Rekon's are grossly overrated.

The Martello/Agarro combo are the fastest rolling trail setup I have had. On my 'standard' roll test of a moderate decline then left turn and ramp they roll further than a Nobby Nic 2.3 / MSC Gripper combo: the fastest rolling trail setup i have used so far.

The Agarro is definitely a perfect 'Trail' tyre.
    Not a single puncture to date either but have been running a foam ARD insert in the rear.

The Martello however has been less consistent for me.
    Run as a front tyre in the dry is has a nice light and smooth edge to edge feel. It steers crisply and easily. no transitions.
    It rolls very well and brakes really well in the Dry.

The issue I have is that for some reason it doesn't inspire confidence when conditions get loose and damp.
    When the tyre is coated with wet sand and the rocks are damp it becomes very sketchy and feels similar to a plasticky Specialised Gripton Butcher 2.3 or similar.

It seems to lack bite in soft and wet ground and that light feeling becomes a floaty spooky feeling. Its not comforting.

When compared back to back with the benchmark Assegai in challenging conditions its chalk and cheese.

The Assegai is more damped, bites harder and is the ultimate "confidence" front tyre. Sure its heavy and a bitch to pedal around all day but if your trails are damp and rough and you want to feel confident to attack you will be faster on the Assegai.

Also agree that the compounds are very durable and casings strong on both tyres.

I have yet to run an Agarro front.
    Might be the next experiment and compare it to the Martello.

Martello might go to the rear with Assegai front for the bad trails set up (cushcore rear) and its good rolling and braking traction might make that the perfect set up.

Agarro front and back for the light duty trail setup ? Seems a lot of you love it as an all rounded. Definitely worth trying.

I like to support Vittoria as their road rubber is amazing.
    Their pricing is good and Like E13, they design their MTB rubber to be durable and strong (unlike some manufacturers who keep making bullshit weak and light casings to appease weight weenies)

But like somebody said previously - when will Vittoria make a good front tyre ??

Anyone try the Mota out front ?
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    ---

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Suns_PSD;14656515]

Suns - we generally have shared experiences - especially when I owned a Foxy 29 - but for some reason the Martello - while fabulous in most dry conditions - is not working for me in very loose/rough and definitely not damp conditions.
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    ...But like somebody said previously - when will Vittoria make a good front tyre ??

Anyone try the Mota out front ?
    Others have said the Goma was that tire...
    Canít wait to hear if the Mazza will fill the gap
    ...Jeff L????
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I just straight up say that I ride a Motobecane, a BD bike, and acknowledge I consider it to be the Harbor Freight of bikes

mtbr member
    Mazza the messiah?

I think if Vittoria tweaked their compounds a little they might nail the issues we are having. The roll speed as much as being casing dependent is also compound dependent and their speed must be a compromise to the durometer.

Are all the Graphene 2.0 compounds the same? doubt it. There must be a mix.

Perhaps if the Martello 2.6 had slightly softer compound middle knobs and more supportive outer knobs AND a bigger real casing for 2.6 it could be the new 2.5 Maxterra DHF?
    Pivot Firebird 29 (M)
    Ibis Mojo3 (L)
    Grove R.A.D
    Lynskey R230

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=Professed;14707145]

Suns - we generally have shared experiences - especially when I owned a Foxy 29 - but for some reason the Martello - while fabulous in most dry conditions - is not working for me in very loose/rough and definitely not damp conditions.
    I'm still in love with the Martello/ Agarro combo in spite of the Martello's 1140g actual weight. However I don't ride anything wet, and also my front Martello is a 2.6 on a 34mm ID wheel, on this combo it's phenomenal.

The only tires I'm even interested in testing are a couple of other fronts, the soft E22 & the new Vittoria DHF clone. The DHF is really good but with Vittoria technology? Hell yah!

I just don't think that Maxxis compounds or carcass' are particularly good. All of the considerable credit for their success deservedly goes to the Minion tread designers. Frankly after trying the Dissector, I think I'm just done with the brand and also a lot less trusting of rider reviews on this website. That tire is pretty bad as a front but I get that people's expectations vary greatly.

I'm done searching for a rear tire for at least a year or so which is about 8 rear tires for me, the Agarro is that good for my needs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Did the Mazza production get delayed due to CV-19? Eager to see and possibly try it.

g=9.764m/s2
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    So, it depends on the terrain. Dirt I'd go Mazza, and if it's mixed or mostly harder pack or rocks I'd stick with Martello
    Ha, Well done Sun!!!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Suns_PSD;14707435]
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    I'm still in love with the Martello/ Agarro combo in spite of the Martello's 1140g actual weight. However I don't ride anything wet, and also my front Martello is a 2.6 on a 34mm ID wheel, on this combo it's phenomenal.

The only tires I'm even interested in testing are a couple of other fronts, the soft E22 & the new Vittoria DHF clone. The DHF is really good but with Vittoria technology? Hell yah!

Good to hear they are working so well. May we get some dry and cool days down in OZ....

With E22 do you mean Michelin DH22?
    Still vapourware in my part of the world and look to be pure DH only - ie: massively heavy.

If you meant E13 Ive got the current LG1 EN (Gen 3) 29x2.4 in the 2nd softest 'Race' compound and am very impressed.

They are on the front of my Son's bike and currently out back on my Heavy Wheelset. They are strong, have great feel and grip. Almost Assegai MaxTerra levels.

I have heard the even softer MOPO compound is insane.
    But the compromise is that they are pigs to push around. very slow rolling !

Good to see so many Vittoria fans !

Bring on the Mazza for testing !

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have been running Agarro front and back since release. Recently went 2.3 to 2.6. Great for sure, but the lower pressures do slow things down a bit. Will likely leave 2m6 on front and go 2.35 on rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    [QUOTE=Professed;14707527]

Good to hear they are working so well. May we get some dry and cool days down in OZ....

With E22 do you mean Michelin DH22?
    Still vapourware in my part of the world and look to be pure DH only - ie: massively heavy.

If you meant E13 Ive got the current LG1 EN (Gen 3) 29x2.4 in the 2nd softest 'Race' compound and am very impressed.

They are on the front of my Son's bike and currently out back on my Heavy Wheelset. They are strong, have great feel and grip. Almost Assegai MaxTerra levels.

I have heard the even softer MOPO compound is insane.
    But the compromise is that they are pigs to push around. very slow rolling !

Good to see so many Vittoria fans !

Bring on the Mazza for testing !
    E22 = Tioga Edge 22. I was able to test a preproduction unit and it's very good. In fact before the Martello it was a top 2 choice for me. However myself, and other testers requested softer side knobs. I have yet to test the soft production option. That would solve the only issue I had with the E22, a lack of absolute mechanical grip on hard pack when there is nothing to bite into. Also weight is only about 920 g.
    The soft compound E22 will be the last front I'll test to compare to the Martello for some time. I've tested all others that I consider competitors. If the E22 has the traction (and it was already very close when fresh), while being 200 g. lighter, well then...

mtbr member
    In regards to the Mazza release. I sent Jeff Lenosky a message on youtube and told him I just bought a set of Agarros, this is his reply.

It was supposed to be at Sea Otter but it got pushed back. If you need anything else Vittoria put out the code LENOSKY and you can save 20 percent and free shipping until the end of the month.
    2019 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That code is very tempting although I don't even need any additional tires at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Considering putting together a Summer tire set up on my wife's and my own bikes because we are in the 90s with high humidity already ere in Texas. Where other locations enjoy Summer and just go to a dry tire set up, around here it's brutally hot and we move to easier more mellow trails and prioritize low rolling resistance. I'm sticking with Vittoria tires 100%. We both are on Mondraker's and these bikes with their long front centers like lots of traction up front to balance well with a lower traction rear.

My wife doesn't know any different. However my goal is always to give her as much confidence in a very fast rolling set up cause she weighs 114#s and is a novice.

I was thinking about putting us both on front Morsa 2.6s & rear Mezcal 3.35s for the summer. Well it would be my summer set up, her permanent set up.

Thoughts on a set up like this? Especially the Morsa as a front. Thx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Considering putting together a Summer tire set up on my wife's and my own bikes because we are in the 90s with high humidity already ere in Texas. Where other locations enjoy Summer and just go to a dry tire set up, around here it's brutally hot and we move to easier more mellow trails and prioritize low rolling resistance. I'm sticking with Vittoria tires 100%. We both are on Mondraker's and these bikes with their long front centers like lots of traction up front to balance well with a lower traction rear.

My wife doesn't know any different. However my goal is always to give her as much confidence in a very fast rolling set up cause she weighs 114#s and is a novice.

I was thinking about putting us both on front Morsa 2.6s & rear Mezcal 3.35s for the summer. Well it would be my summer set up, her permanent set up.

Thoughts on a set up like this? Especially the Morsa as a front. Thx.
    I have the Morsa 2.3 up front, and I would not recommend it for a novice. On the back is more neutral.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    I have the Morsa 2.3 up front, and I would not recommend it for a novice. On the back is more neutral.
    Thanks. She is going to get an E22 up front as it rolls great with mad traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My rims have an internal width of 26. Would the 2.6 be too wide and thus sloppy on this rim?

Thicc Member
    No, it would be a perfect 2.35in on your 26mm rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rianclay View Post
    My rims have an internal width of 26. Would the 2.6 be too wide and thus sloppy on this rim?
    I would recommend the 2.35 Agarro on that rim width. I ran the 2.35s for a year on 25mm rims and they were great! Now I'm running 2.6s on 30mm rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks. She is going to get an E22 up front as it rolls great with mad traction.
    I would recommend the Agarro 2.35 for the rear. The Mezcal will be too different to the E22 in terms of cornering grip. I've run the Mezcal rear with all sorts of front tires, and it gets... exciting... when paired with a really grippy front, especially for a novice. The Agarro is super fast rolling, more durable than the Mezcal, and also more predictable in cornering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I would recommend the Agarro 2.35 for the rear. The Mezcal will be too different to the E22 in terms of cornering grip. I've run the Mezcal rear with all sorts of front tires, and it gets... exciting... when paired with a really grippy front, especially for a novice. The Agarro is super fast rolling, more durable than the Mezcal, and also more predictable in cornering.
    I love the Agarro as you've probably read, but I was aiming for something a bit faster rolling for summertime easier rides (it's really hot!) particularly for my wife's bike. I've been so impressed with the Vittoria tires I've tried so far I thought the Mezcal would be a great replacement for her current Rock Razor.
    Anyways, I'll put her on an E22 & an Agarro next and remove her inserts, she doesn't need them anyways.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I love the Agarro as you've probably read, but I was aiming for something a bit faster rolling for summertime easier rides (it's really hot!) particularly for my wife's bike. I've been so impressed with the Vittoria tires I've tried so far I thought the Mezcal would be a great replacement for her current Rock Razor.
    Anyways, I'll put her on an E22 & an Agarro next and remove her inserts, she doesn't need them anyways.
    Thanks

The Mezcal is the fastest rolling tire I've run, and it's my favorite rear XC tire, usually paired with a Barzo front (or F/R for fast XC races). My point was just that I wouldn't recommend it when paired with a really aggressive front. Just my $0.02 though - you obviously know your terrain and your wife better!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I wouldn't pair the Mezcal either with an aggressive front tire. Maybe a Barzo rear. I'm running a 2.35 Barzo rear on my Trance 29 with a Forekaster 2.35 front, which I find to be a decent combo. Both of those tires measure closer to 2.25", FYI. I also have a Mezcal 2.35 on my SS hardtail, and it is also undersized at close to 2.25". I think the Barzo rolls extremely well for the extra grip it provides over the Mezcal. If you ride in any mud, you'll find the Mezcal packs up in a hurry, so the Barzo is way better there.

My go-to rear tire for the past 4 years was the 29x2.4 Goma. I used the folding (non TNT) version because I got them super cheap, but they worked well tubeless for a couple years before the beads got worn down to the point I had to use a tube. I found that tire offered a lot of grip and protection, had massive volume (measured up to 2.5" actual), and rolled extremely well. It looks like the Aggaro might be a great replacement for the Goma, but perhaps in the 2.6 vs 2.35 size if they are measuring up undersized like recent Vittorias.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm running a 2.35 Agarro up front and a 2.35 Mezcal in the rear right now. Super fast combo and adequate grip for my fast, dry trails in Southern Oregon. I'll probably try Agarro front and rear next because of how fast the Agarro seems to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2.6 Mezcal has quite a bit larger knobs and more shoulder bite then the 2.35. If running 2.6 combo, I kind of think the traction gap would be less than a 2.35 combo.

Iím about to pull 2.6 Mezcal from my hardtail and put on the rear of my trail bike. Not running Agarro up front (XR5) but probably somewhat relevant to see if it can hang on the rear.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Mezcal is the fastest rolling tire I've run, and it's my favorite rear XC tire, usually paired with a Barzo front (or F/R for fast XC races). My point was just that I wouldn't recommend it when paired with a really aggressive front. Just my $0.02 though - you obviously know your terrain and your wife better!
    She is not particularly fast nor strong, so I just ordered her a Mezcal 2.35 to test as a rear. I've also noticed that lighter people don't require nearly as grippy of a tire. The tires just don't slide out nearly as much plus they can run lower air pressure.

The E22 rolls very fast and is light so I'll still mount that up front. These long center bikes really need more grip up front than in the rear imo."

OT as I know this is an Agarro thread. Just had my wife do a test spin on her new rear Mezcal. I removed a nearly new Rock Razor Addix. It wasn't a real ride but she commented (unprovoked) how incredibly smooth the new tire felt.
    Those Vittoria's roll just magical, different than every other tire out there. Not sure that actually matters when trail riding but they sure feel 'rich'.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-14-2020 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    The 2.6 Mezcal has quite a bit larger knobs and more shoulder bite then the 2.35. If running 2.6 combo, I kind of think the traction gap would be less than a 2.35 combo.

Iím about to pull 2.6 Mezcal from my hardtail and put on the rear of my trail bike. Not running Agarro up front (XR5) but probably somewhat relevant to see if it can hang on the rear.
    Yeah I've never had a traction issue with the Mezcal 2.6 in the rear - the larger lugs definitely have more grip than those on the 2.35. I think you'll like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    She is not particularly fast nor strong, so I just ordered here a Mezcal 2.35 to test as a rear. I've also noticed that lighter people don't require nearly as grippy of a tire. The tires just don't slide out nearly as much plus they can run lower air pressure.

The E22 rolls very fast and is light so I'll still mount that up front. These long center bikes really need more grip up front than in the rear imo.
    Cool - hope it works out well for her!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have had a few good runs on the Agarro 2.6 front and back. These measure about 62mm at the tread on a 30mm ID rim. But don't let that full you. Running 16/18 psi. I have extensive time on the 2.35 too.

I ride east coast singletrack with varying conditions and types. Some is smooth with flow, most is rooty and rocky, and some is really strune with sharp rock gardens that never end. It's been a little rainy here too.

The 2.6 are like velcro. They are well dampened, super strong and my God grip so well. I rode 20 miles of super rock and tech Saturday with a lot of wetness. Never slipped and climbed everything. I am talking tech where it's power down and speeds only about 4 miles an hour. Downs are about 12mph. When someone has a flat on these trails, we just laugh and says that what happens 10x a day here. Tire killers.

Not much I can say but I like these tires and I have beat them hard.

mtbr member
    A 2.6" actually measures to 2.4" Good to know, but frustrating to play the guessing game as to whether a tire will meet size expectations. This must be what my first GF had to go through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A 2.6" actually measures to 2.4" Good to know, but frustrating to play the guessing game as to whether a tire will meet size expectations. This must be what my first GF had to go through.
    I am actually ok with them measuring as they are, but I understand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I have had a few good runs on the Agarro 2.6 front and back. These measure about 62mm at the tread on a 30mm ID rim. But don't let that full you. Running 16/18 psi. I have extensive time on the 2.35 too.

I ride east coast singletrack with varying conditions and types. Some is smooth with flow, most is rooty and rocky, and some is really strune with sharp rock gardens that never end. It's been a little rainy here too.

The 2.6 are like velcro. They are well dampened, super strong and my God grip so well. I rode 20 miles of super rock and tech Saturday with a lot of wetness. Never slipped and climbed everything. I am talking tech where it's power down and speeds only about 4 miles an hour. Downs are about 12mph. When someone has a flat on these trails, we just laugh and says that what happens 10x a day here. Tire killers.

Not much I can say but I like these tires and I have beat them hard.

Yup, they are good. That's the riding I do, and they are my favorite trail tire for sure. Glad you like them.

mtbr member
    About to pick one up for rear. What does the 2.35 measure? If the 2.6 measures out to 2.4, I'd be tempted to get it over the 2.35. But if the 2.35 is roughly the same size as a morsa that'd be perfect for me.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    About to pick one up for rear. What does the 2.35 measure? If the 2.6 measures out to 2.4, I'd be tempted to get it over the 2.35. But if the 2.35 is roughly the same size as a morsa that'd be perfect for me.

The 2.35 is likely closer to 2.3 (don't have any of those mounted up at the moment). Definitely smaller than the Morsa (which runs large). Also, the 2.6 is only 20g heavier than the 2.35. Go 2.6.

mtbr member
    Ok, cool. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

58mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hi all, new member here. Long time reader, first time poster.

After months of research (including reading the posts here), I just fitted Agarro 2.6 rear and Martello 2.35 front (went for the lighter 940g trail version) to my 29" FS trail bike. Only had time for one quick test spin on my local trail so far, but I am seriously impressed by the grip and how fast these things are.

I'm not a gravity freak and I ride pretty "light", preferring to pick a good line rather than just barrelling through stuff. Low rolling resistance is really important to me and it seems like these things may be just what I've been looking for.

I'm hoping they hold up OK since I often have to ride quite a bit of road to get to good forest trails.

mtbr member
    58mm

Thanks Bogey. I bit small then, I'll definitely go for the 2.6. Glad I asked, you guys are awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Lol.

62mm is 2.5" in my book but also only on a 30mm ID wheel.

It's interesting that the 2.6 only weighs 20 grams more. My Agarros have been totally reliable so I'm assuming the 2.35 is thicker so I'll definitely stick with that as a rear.

Thicc Member
    Lol.

62mm is 2.5" in my book but also only on a 30mm ID wheel.

It's interesting that the 2.6 only weighs 20 grams more. My Agarros have been totally reliable so I'm assuming the 2.35 is thicker so I'll definitely stick with that as a rear.

My 2.6 was 2.36" wide on a 31mm ID rim at 20psi. I got a refund. When Vittoria fixes their sizing I'll buy one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast