Vittoria Agarro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vittoria Agarro

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Vittoria Agarro

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-agarro.png  

mtbr member
    Interesting, looks like a lot of the newer tires, ei assguy-eliminator. Provided the side knobs aren't super spongy like the martello it should be a great tire.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Always in the wrong gear
    Itís a Vittoria.

Itíll weigh 10-15% more than it should, itíll have a wicked casing wobble and itíll last about 200miles before itís chunked and worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Damn thatís a harsh review...Iíve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

MegaStoke, thatís not showing on Vittoria.com so whereíd you see that info?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Damn thatís a harsh review...Iíve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

In the 2020 dealer catalog. They're supposed shipping this fall, so I'd expect them to publicly launch soon.

And yeah, I've never even seen any of the above issues with Vittoria tires, and I see a lot of them come through my shop. The Mezcal is our top selling tire, and deservedly so.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    In the 2020 dealer catalog. They're supposed shipping this fall, so I'd expect them to publicly launch soon.

Is this the end of Morsa?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Is this the end of Morsa?
    Doesnít appear so. Theyíre in the 2020 catalog with 8 variants.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post

+1 Love my Vittoria's , Fast Durable and even as a weight weenies I can live with the Weight

All XCR Race Casing 29 x 2,25 Mezcal 674 g, Terreno 648g, Barzo 684g

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Itís a Vittoria.

Itíll weigh 10-15% more than it should, itíll have a wicked casing wobble and itíll last about 200miles before itís chunked and worn out.
    So you tried one tire and weren't happy.

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Looks like an ideal rear tire in the 2.35.

Might have to try one out.

Always in the wrong gear

Vittoria Agarro

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    So you tried one tire and weren't happy.

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.
    No, actually. Iíve tried several.
    5-ish years ago on my ďregular 29erĒ I tried 2 Barzoís, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
    The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
    I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
    2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
    They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
    The Cannoli i still have actually. Itís is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. Itís also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
    I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think heís on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his Ďrace wheelsí because they arenít durable for everyday riding.

But keep jumping to conclusions anyway. Itís entertaining.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think that story is enough to make me stick with Schwalbe HD2s & Rock Razors for my rear tires.

Hitching a ride
    I have Barzos in 2.25, 2.35, and 2.6, all 4c G+. I notice that you don't list the models of these tires. The G+ ones wear like iron and you'll see other people post the same. I destroy Maxxis and Bontrager SE tires so it's not like I ride like a granny.

The Goma 2.35 doesn't exist. There is a 2.25 and a 2.4. The 2.4 is heavy because it's close to a 2.6; it's also extremely durable and the TNT has a good ride quality.

I can't speak to the plus tires.

Hitching a ride
    I do think Vittoria wins the award for slowest tire release. This tire was spotted in the fall of LAST year.

Meanwhile Maxxis - Here is the Dissector, and you can buy it now in like six versions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    5-ish years ago on my ďregular 29erĒ I tried 2 Barzoís, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
    The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
    I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
    2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
    They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
    The Cannoli i still have actually. Itís is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. Itís also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
    I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think heís on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his Ďrace wheelsí because they arenít durable for everyday riding.

Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.

There is not that much difference in the manufacturing of Vittoria vs Maxxis vs Schwalbe.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?

Years ago I had 2 Schwalbe tire that blow off on a Tubeless setup a Rear Stan's rims ( Furious Fred and Rocket Ron) I stayed away from them for years as Schwalbe would not warranty them as they said it was the tubeless mounting process, in retrospect it was my fault as I did have difficult time getting them to seat and stretched the bead.

So in my case it was user error

Now I run Snakeskin Rocket Ron and Thunder Burt with no issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like heavier version of the Rekon...

mtbr member
    The casing and side lugs rubber used on the morsa is the best out there imo. Tuff, great dampening, doesn't begin to weep sealant after 3 weeks, rolls great and the side lugs take for ever to undercut while hooking up great. I know of no other tire I can say that about, definitely not maxxis. SE casing is also fantastic but everything else about their tires is mid pack at best.

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting review Impetus...
    I am quite the opposite. Worn out everything BUT my Vittorias. Actually I have a Goma TNT 2.4 on front of my new trail bike that is 3 seasons old (at least). Reason it was put on there is because the DHF that came on the bike when I got it in April was not holding air (had to run a tube) and wobbling within a month of riding. Goma still looks good after two bikes and probably close to 2k miles on it (front tire primarily).

Other Goma on my commuter bike was a different back up that still says GEAX on it, yeah still running and been on that hardtail the entire time. Old Trail bike is running Goma/Barzo combo currently in Colorado under my BIL, Goma TNT front is 2 seasons old at least and the Barzo is about 1-2 seasons old. Still looked brand new when I gave him the bike in July this year.

Only problem I ever had with Vittoria tires was when the Mezcal III first came out in the 2.35 variant. When I got it and installed it was super undersized (barely measuring 2.2), got ahold of Vittoria and they confirmed they had a few batches that were running small, notified the factory (as I was not the first to mention) and offered to replace with whatever I wanted as they could not guarantee that sending me out another Mezcal would get me a true 2.35.

Their customer service and products wearing like iron for the most part have earned my patronage. They may have the occasional tire that has issues but what tire company doesn't. I am on my third Maxxis tire now (2nd rear, first one that went was the DHF on front) and for the money they are nothing to write home about. Currently running an Ardent EXO 2.4 that I measured last night at 56.7mm (that's more like 2.25") where as the 3 season old Goma TNT 2.4 measured at 64.2mm (that's more like 2.5-2.6"). With regards to weight of the tires, yeah that is always something that is considered because most don't want a ton of weight on their wheels, but really are you an XC racer weight-weenie? Are you someone that notices that difference when a tire is rated at 960g and comes out to be 1000g? I can understand a couple hundred gram difference but 10-15% (in this case would be about 10-20g) is something you are not really going to notice unless, like said, you are a XC racer weight weenie. If that is the case, then yeah you should not be running something like the Goma, Martello, Mota, Morsa or the more aggressive tires.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle View Post
    Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?
    Pesonally, I'll admit I have not. But I ride 2x per week with guys on the 'new' graphene tires. As mentioned above we spend lots of time standing and watching one guy in particular patch or plug. We've been friends for about 3 years, riding 1-2x per week together (group rides) and he did not have tire problems when he was riding Bontrager XR2/3 or Maxxis Rekons.

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.
    My gut says road tires and mtb tires are a little different. I dunno.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.
    I never said 2-3 rides. Also, I've done single rides this week that were 40-45 miles. 3 rides could be 100 miles.
    I said 'weeks'... I think the Barzo that actually lived to 'worn' was about 5 weeks old. 350 miles?
    I thought the ride quality of the 29x3.0 Bomboloni was excellent, but I have strava-verified tracking that the average life of that tire is about 300 miles before the edge knobs start chunking and the center knobs are in bad shape.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?
    Again. I never said '2' weeks. I ride general XC trails in the Phoenix Arizona area, occasionally taking my bike up to my cabin in the Eastern AZ White Mountains.

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?
    That's awesome. I truly wish my experience was similar.

I get it, my original post was pretty snarky. I didn't mean to bash Vittoria tires, I just haven't seen good things from them.

I've been really happy with a 60tpi 29x2.6 Rekon on the back and a 120tpi 29x2.6 Forekaster on the front. 200-ish miles and I'd estimate the rear is at 60% life, the front is probably 80%. Zero flats or holes in either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The problem with taking tire advise from others is that people and terrain varies a lot. Heck even how I'm riding season to season varies a lot.

The photo below is of a WTB tough/ fast Breakout after about 6 weeks of local trail riding 2-3x per week. It took more of a hammering than most of my tires just because I enjoyed it so much (before they discontinued it). Tracton notably fell off this very day.

I personally swap out rear tires usually about every 6-8 weeks because they have torn knobs and what not.

Here is an HD2 (my all time fav rear tire currently) after about 2 months. I have others in my garage but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-20190119_132620.jpeg  

mtbr member

Seems like you and your buddies have had some bad luck. Been running newer 2.35 Mezcal Graphene 2.0 with zero problems for 500+ miles. Did a 50-miler recently with mixed terrain and had no issues at all. Great tire for pretty much anything, except mud.

mtbr member
    ^ Shwable, same as they ever were.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Honestly they hold up better for me than most other tires. I showed that picture to shwalbe North American and they sent me a brand new one at no cost. And I haven't torn another one like that.
    That tire is easily the best performing rear tire that I've tried for that application.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Now all thatís out of the way, back to the Agarro. Looks aggressive and grippy with a reasonable weight for what it is. Read in the Martello review that its designer was behind the original Minion so Iíd bet the Agarro is his design as well. In last years Agarro thread someone said it looked similar to a Rekon, Iíll agree with that. Martello front/Agarro rear may be a decent combo. A year is a little long for rollout of a tire though.

Hitching a ride

I get it, my original post was pretty snarky. I didn't mean to bash Vittoria tires, I just haven't seen good things from them.

I've been really happy with a 60tpi 29x2.6 Rekon on the back and a 120tpi 29x2.6 Forekaster on the front. 200-ish miles and I'd estimate the rear is at 60% life, the front is probably 80%. Zero flats or holes in either.
    I don't think your original post was snarky. Experiences are on a bell curve and the most dissatisfied experiences get told on the internet. I would have preferred your complaints to be more specific. Incidentally, the guy my group waits for the most is fixing his XR2 rear tire. I don't know why he sticks with it.

I'm willing to give the Agarro a try, but not on the rear. Vittoria has too many good rear tires. I'd cut off every other transition knob and use it with a Mezcal or Morsa rear.

Hitching a ride
    Here's a closeup of the knobs. They look tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nssI2XcxbGs

mtbr member
    I don't think your original post was snarky...

I'm willing to give the Agarro a try, but not on the rear. Vittoria has too many good rear tires. I'd cut off every other transition knob and use it with a Mezcal or Morsa rear.
    ĎSnarkyí - word of the day! Iíll file that if you donít mind.

Iíll also try Agarro on front of my HT for all-around use. Just seams most threads are so assiduous with determining the best Enduro/DH combo that there is lesser discussion on trail uses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pesonally, I'll admit I have not. But I ride 2x per week with guys on the 'new' graphene tires. As mentioned above we spend lots of time standing and watching one guy in particular patch or plug. We've been friends for about 3 years, riding 1-2x per week together (group rides) and he did not have tire problems when he was riding Bontrager XR2/3 or Maxxis Rekons.

My gut says road tires and mtb tires are a little different. I dunno.

I never said 2-3 rides. Also, I've done single rides this week that were 40-45 miles. 3 rides could be 100 miles.
    I said 'weeks'... I think the Barzo that actually lived to 'worn' was about 5 weeks old. 350 miles?
    I thought the ride quality of the 29x3.0 Bomboloni was excellent, but I have strava-verified tracking that the average life of that tire is about 300 miles before the edge knobs start chunking and the center knobs are in bad shape.

Again. I never said '2' weeks. I ride general XC trails in the Phoenix Arizona area, occasionally taking my bike up to my cabin in the Eastern AZ White Mountains.

Thanks for the reply, Tires are very personal and I do love Schwalbe and used them for years and then I had a very bad taste for them after 2 full price retail tires where ruined, as I stated I had a lot to do with this.

All change this year with the snake skin rocket ron.

Lastly I now live in Minneapolis, smooth and flat XC riding after nearly 30 years of living in Colorado with a lot of trips to Utah,

Colorado is Totally different on tires as is Arizona as both those condition are much harder on tires than the Midwest,

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow... watching the video that thing looks like the bastard love child of a three-way between the Goma, Martello and Barzo. Looks like it could make an awesome front or rear. However, looking at the "positioning" I am assuming that it will be replacing the Goma. Really hope that the 2.35" version has traits like the Goma where it is much larger. But looks like my new combo for next year will be Martello front and Agarro rear, or maybe a dual Agarro setup.

Hitching a ride
    Looks like casing widths are as irritating as their Barzo and Mezcal - 2.35 is a 57mm, then jumps to 2.6 at 65mm. No 60mm.

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like casing widths are as irritating as their Barzo and Mezcal - 2.35 is a 57mm, then jumps to 2.6 at 65mm. No 60mm.
    Yep, they need a goldilocks casing size.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yep, they need a goldilocks casing size.
    Yup... that was where the Goma was really nice. Was supposed to be a 2.4" (~60mm) but always was way bigger. My current measures closer to 2.6" and all of the previous I had seems to be between 2.5 and 2.6".

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Nice, my Vittoria rep wasnít kidding when they said soon.

29x2.35 ~952g

29x2.6 ~968g

I wish I didnít already have a half a dozen other tires, I wanna try these out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vittoria Agarro-1eb2fc6e-3a98-4547-bb0e-35e4f47e0703.jpg  

Vittoria Agarro-5e537046-6c69-4ded-92be-3212f66b8f88.jpg  

Hitching a ride
    By how much did they reduce the knob height on the 2.6?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    As far as I can tell without actually mounting a tire up, the knob heights are the same. Iím still trying to figure out how why there isnít more difference in weight between the 2.35 and 2.6.

Hitching a ride
    Thanks. If you have a micrometer you could measure the casing thicknesses. Then you would see the difference.

mtbr member
    As far as I can tell without actually mounting a tire up, the knob heights are the same. Iím still trying to figure out how why there isnít more difference in weight between the 2.35 and 2.6.
    hmmm, what's the bead-to-bead meaurement on the 2.35 vs the 2.6? (measure by laying the tyre flat and measuring across it's width)

Short-Change-Hero
    SELL THE 2.35 TO ME AND I WILL MOUNT AND MEASURE!!!
    Got so pissed at my rear ardent last night as it kept slipping on loose stuff that I rarely have problems with. Kept thinking to myself, I can't wait to be able to buy the Agarro!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Actual widths

Have you mounted these yet? Iím curious of the actual width. Not loving my Schwalbe 2.6ís. They are like big balloons. Hoping the Vittoria are actually smaller

Nice, my Vittoria rep wasnít kidding when they said soon.

29x2.35 ~952g

29x2.6 ~968g

I wish I didnít already have a half a dozen other tires, I wanna try these out!

Short-Change-Hero
    Just gonna leave this here!!

https://youtu.be/YXcoxSAz2P0

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Has anyone ridden this tire yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    I'm really curious on the height of the tire as well as the actual width. Would consider putting it in my + HT, but don't want too much of a BB height decrease.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Has anyone ridden this tire yet?
    As the notice shows it becomes available for sale 10/15, that would be a No...

Hitching a ride
    952g for a 57mm 29er. Heavier than a Morsa which is wider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    952g for a 57mm 29er. Heavier than a Morsa which is wider.
    953g for an "enduro inspired performance that meets XC efficiency on your trail bike." Unsure how they can call anything XC efficiency when it weighs claimed 953g.

Vittoria's newer tires seem to be about 150gs heavier than they should be.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    953g for an "enduro inspired performance that meets XC efficiency on your trail bike." Unsure how they can call anything XC efficiency when it weighs claimed 953g.

Efficiency is more about rolling resistance than weight, in my mind.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any recommendations for rocky rooty that could be damp and leafy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Think they should ditch the APF insert (pinch guard) in their Endruo/Trail tires, sure that is adding quite a bit of weight (100 or more grams).

If you want/need pinch flat protection then a good light weight insert would work better and provide rim protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Efficiency is more about rolling resistance than weight, in my mind.
    Each gram of tire (rotational) weight is like adding 2 grams of weight to your bike. So set of tires weighing 300 grams more will be like adding 1.5lbs to your bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Each gram of tire (rotational) weight is like adding 2 grams of weight to your bike. So set of tires weighing 300 grams more will be like adding 1.5lbs to your bike.
    I understand that.

300g of rotating weight, or 1.5lbs total, isnít much compared to the differences in rolling resistance.

Iíd gladly add a pound to my bike to save 10w of rolling resistance without sacrificing cornering grip.

Death from Below.

Short-Change-Hero
    Lookie lookie!!!
    Just came this weekend, donít ask. 29x2.35 at 939g.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Think they should ditch the APF insert (pinch guard) in their Endruo/Trail tires, sure that is adding quite a bit of weight (100 or more grams).

If you want/need pinch flat protection then a good light weight insert would work better and provide rim protection.

True, but it wouldn't change anything with sidewall cuts.

You might be some infinitesimal amount slower with this added weight. But not nearly as slow as with a cut sidewall.

Not saying you need these tires. But many do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    True, but it wouldn't change anything with sidewall cuts.

You might be some infinitesimal amount slower with this added weight. But not nearly as slow as with a cut sidewall.

Not saying you need these tires. But many do.
    Looking at the APF insert, don't think it extends high enough to assist with sidewall cuts. I personally never had a sidewall cut that low. Plus the TNT casings are already fairly tough. I abuse the Mezcal on the rear (running a ARD insert) of my XC bike and have not cut a sidewall with them yet.

The Agarro looks like a slightly more aggressive Maxxis Rekon. Recently put a Rekon 2.4 on rear of my trail bike and its been a great tire so far (rolls fast and has acceptable grip). Have clearance for a small 2.6, so might try a Agarro 2.6 later down the road if they run small.

Hitching a ride
    I've been riding Vittoria tires exclusively in the rear for the last four years and never lost enough air pressure to use the apf strip. That's pretty impressive. Now these extra plus heavy versions will be even more tough!

The 2.6 won't be small.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Lookie lookie!!!
    Just came this weekend, donít ask. 29x2.35 at 939g.

Please report back with some comparisons to other known tires.
    For me, that's about the right weight for an aggressive rear trail tire.
    That said, I love my Rock Razors for dry rocky trails.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Please report back with some comparisons to other known tires.
    For me, that's about the right weight for an aggressive rear trail tire.
    That said, I love my Rock Razors for dry rocky trails.

Will do. As soon as I get some time this week I will put it on and do some more measurements.

If anyone has something very specific they want a measurement on please let me know (please put a little detail into how you want measured). Otherwise I will provide general measurements once mounted.

This will be going on the rear of my current trail bike, which is a 2019 GET REVVED GG The Smash Size 3. Rear wheel is a DT Swiss M1900 which I believe is 29mm internal width.

Riding area/terrain: Northern NV High Desert and Lake Tahoe Loam (large variety of trail conditions in one area, so lots of loose over hard, sharp edge rocks, square edge rocks, some loose climbs, LOTS of switchbacks, some pea gravel, some granite scree. All depends on which trails).

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok got the tire mounted up tonight while doing other things. Mounted up in normal Vittoria fashion, super easy and aired right up. Currently sitting at 40psi to make sure everything seats for the night.

Took a few quick pics. First is with the TNT Goma 2.4 front wheel next to it.
    Next two are 57.9mm at the carcass and 57mm at the outer most knob. So looks to be a consistent size.
    Thing with Vittoriaís I have found is that they will spread a bit after being ridden some so it should grow slightly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Tread looks very promising. I hope it rolls faster and that can make up for it's weight. I have 4 coming today and will weigh for consistency. Unfortunately can't ride until next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok got the tire mounted up tonight while doing other things.
    You think the side knobs are big enough (stout enough) to corner reasonably hard without folding under too much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anyone mount a 29x2.6 yet? Curious if the diameter and casing width is consistent with the 29x2.6 Mezcal.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    You think the side knobs are big enough (stout enough) to corner reasonably hard without folding under too much?
    Honestly they felt a bit like the new Martello, just ever so slightly stiffer. Remember that many of their "Trail" tires are going to have a dual compound knobs, top section is going to be a much softer durometer rubber than the lower layer. So there will be some perceived "squirm" on hardpack but from what I remember when I was running the Martello, it was not discernible on the trail and actually made from some incredible traction when leaning over in certain conditions. With light waning so quickly, I have very limited time for rides after work. Hoping to get out on it tonight for a quick run-down ride. Then possibly a ride on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I received 4 today. Weights were pretty close to the 940g advertised for 29x2.35. widest variance was 12g.

I haven't installed yet. I am curious how these do in the wet and light mud snow of the transition months here. Vittoria rates as the highest for wet.

Short-Change-Hero
    I received 4 today. Weights were pretty close to the 940g advertised for 29x2.35. widest variance was 12g.

I haven't installed yet. I am curious how these do in the wet and light mud snow of the transition months here. Vittoria rates as the highest for wet.

Probably be able to tell you in a few weeks here. Storms are starting to roll through and unless we get a completely cold but dry winter, rain should start falling pretty often by mid November. Tahoe loam is a bit different that lots of other places as it is more gritty due to the consistency of granite rock and shale that we have. Don't get me wrong there are some serious deep, PNW type loam trails but they are pretty few and far between.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll probably try these next. Love my Schwalbes but knobs tearing off can be a bit of an issue sometimes.
    Would like to know if it's a real fast roller while providing medium traction.

On Edit: Just ordered one.

Having a nice day!
    Man, I've been waiting for Vittoria to release something like this. I was hoping it would come in the low 800s weight wise, but it might be worth trying it. I only wish Vittoria would lose the two-tone color on the upper level tires. I like all black tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Man, I've been waiting for Vittoria to release something like this. I was hoping it would come in the low 800s weight wise, but it might be worth trying it. I only wish Vittoria would lose the two-tone color on the upper level tires. I like all black tires
    The 4 I weighed come it at 940 and within 10g higher.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The 4 I weighed come it at 940 and within 10g higher.

Do Vittoria tires generally do particularly well resisting punctures?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Do Vittoria tires generally do particularly well resisting punctures?
    I have run various versions of the Barzo and only had 1 flat over 3 years. It was from a rock rim strike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am running last years Bazro / Mezcal and rode through many brutal rock gardens, they have held up really well. Other XC racers were flatting all around, I got through fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Good to know.

Short-Change-Hero
    In all my years of riding I have pretty much always had Vittoria tires. I can only think of maybe ONCE that I had a flat with a tire. The GOMA that is pictured next to the Agarro is currently my front tire and has been on two bikes for lots of mileage. In the time that tire has been on the front I have destroyed two different EXO casing Maxxis tires. I ride plenty of chunk so not something where I am gentle on it or anything like that.