Vittoria Agarro - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vittoria Agarro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Have you ridden a 2.3 Aggressor to compare it against?
    Yes. My bike came with a DHF/AGR. I found the AGR to be an excellent all around rear tire in my terrain for sure. One of the best climbing tires I've ever run. It was just a bit too draggy for me on the long climbs etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Agarro 2.3 on its way for the rear on 29mm Flows. Has anyone compared the Martello to the Hell Kat in 2.4 on 29mm-ish rims for the front?

I've had bad experiences with the Barzo and Morsa so hope the Agarro can change my mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    Agarro 2.3 on its way for the rear on 29mm Flows. Has anyone compared the Martello to the Hell Kat in 2.4 on 29mm-ish rims for the front?

I've had bad experiences with the Barzo and Morsa so hope the Agarro can change my mind.
    I was holding my 1st martello 2.6 and the Hellkat 2.4 in my hands at the same time a couple of months ago.
    The Hellkat was considerably shorter when the tread was laid out flat and measured with the ruler, meaning it's a much lower volume tire. I also felt the knob gap was really high on the Hellkat and a bit too much for my terrain.
    I ended up loving the Martello and selling off the Hellkat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    One thing to realize is that is looks like Vittoria's mfg'ing process has changed. Years ago their tires were known for being spot on or slightly larger (e.g. all my 2.4 Goma's measured closer to 2.5" and that was across about a half dozen I had purchased over the years). Now it seems that they are at spot-on for sizing or slightly smaller.

Currently running the new 2.4 Mazza front and 2.35 Martello 29er on my The Smash, DT Swiss M1900 rims (i29) and both come out true to size. They will expand slightly overtime as they break-in, which is something that I have always found with all of their tires). For where I live (northern NV, Lake Tahoe) the Mazza/Martello combo is absolutely sick, tons of traction and grip, not a huge amount of rolling resistance and just a confidence inspiring combo for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    2.35 Agarro on i30 rims. 967g

Vittoria Agarro-agarro-2.35.jpg
    Vittoria Agarro-agarro-2.35-farther-back.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    2.35 Agarro on i30 rims. 967g
    That actually looks quite a bit squarer than I'd like, how's it ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am not going to ride it for at least a week - so no ride reports. It's very similar in squareness to the 2.3 Aggressor (which I liked), that I had on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I was holding my 1st martello 2.6 and the Hellkat 2.4 in my hands at the same time a couple of months ago.
    The Hellkat was considerably shorter when the tread was laid out flat and measured with the ruler, meaning it's a much lower volume tire. I also felt the knob gap was really high on the Hellkat and a bit too much for my terrain.
    I ended up loving the Martello and selling off the Hellkat.

Do you think on a 29mm Flow that the 2.6 Martello is ok or go for the smaller Martello, 2.35? 29mm seems right in the middle these days for going to 2.6.

mtbr member
    I'm wondering why some of the 2.35s measure out at 2.2 and others are 2.35 on similarly sized ID rims. Is it the luck of the draw?
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Do you think on a 29mm Flow that the 2.6 Martello is ok or go for the smaller Martello, 2.35? 29mm seems right in the middle these days for going to 2.6.
    That's a darn good question that I don't know the answer to.
    For a rear tire, I'd for certain do the 2.35.
    For a front however, I don't know. I'd probably err on the side of caution and go 2.35, or buy the 2.4 Mazza up front.
    Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Rider
    This 2.6 would be just fine on the 29mm rim. I mounted the 2.6 Martello and Agarro on a variety of rim widths and 30mm was about perfect imo.

Got rocks?
    I have over a hundred miles on the combo mostly xc and rocky tech trails. So itís a good combo. I still have some uneasiness from them though in corners. They slip in corners I donít expect them to. Itís weird I havenít gained full confidence on when the front will hold or slide. I think for comparisons sake I am gonna swap around some tires and see. I just canít help but feel like to get the grip I want Iím running too low of pressure and get tire roll in certain situations too.

We shall see. I might throw my Hans Dampf2 back on the front to compare. I do know for sure they are not good for any kind of loose dirt. A loop from my house is softer and they donít like it at all.

mtbr member
    Anyone interested in a 29 2.35 Agarro with about 5 rides on it ?
    $29 + shipping. PM me if interested.

Sold
    Last edited by ridetheridge; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anybody run Spesh Slaughter and can compare to Agarro rolling?
    My legs are old and draggy tires on a paved approaches crush my soul.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    Anybody run Spesh Slaughter and can compare to Agarro rolling?
    My legs are old and draggy tires on a paved approaches crush my soul.
    I ran the Slaughter for a while on two different bikes, one a 2.6 on a 30 ID rim and one a 2.4 on a 27 ID rim.

It's a very different tire, as it's a semi-slick. The rolling resistance is better, but the braking and traction are worse. Cornering might be slightly better as it has slightly larger side knobs and they're more exposed, but the side knobs also didn't last very long on the inner edge. I would say:

Specialized Slaughter
    Rolling Speed: 10
    Braking: 4
    Cornering: 8
    Climbing traction: 5
    Durability: 6

Agarro
    Rolling speed: 8
    Braking: 8
    Cornering: 7
    Climbing traction: 8
    Durability: 9

All numbers out of 10, based on my personal impressions riding aggressive tires in the SW USA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Outstanding response and detail- thank you @ungod. Did you ride Grid on Control?....the Grids kind of nailed sidewall protection and support for my bike and riding style.

Spech also went Graphene and like all tires that have changed rubber, overall durability went up. I will probably still pick these up when they go on sale.

I was looking for a tire like the Agarro for a while now, but stayed a fan of a Slaughter rear & DHF front over the last dozen tire purchases. I don't have a lot of straight line braking issues (rarely skid rear) and generally climb ok unless it is marble hell which needs more technique than tire anyway. I really hope this tire ticks all the boxes like you list. I just bought a pair and plan to use them on a new 31mm ID rear wheel that I am lacing up. Will report back shortly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    Outstanding response and detail- thank you @ungod. Did you ride Grid on Control?....the Grids kind of nailed sidewall protection and support for my bike and riding style.

Spech also went Graphene and like all tires that have changed rubber, overall durability went up. I will probably still pick these up when they go on sale.
    Yep, I used the GRID casings. Good tires!

The 2.4 tire was the newest design (with the "stair stepped" cornering knobs) but the 2.6 was an older design (2018ish). The 2.4 definitely lasted longer. Sounds like it might be a good tire for you, can't hurt to give it a shot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how is your air pressure on the Agarro vs other similar tires. I am on 2.35" on 29mm FLOWs with them on the rear. Last tire was WTB Trail Boss Light/High Grip 2.4. I had the Trail boss at 16psi tubeless no inserts.

The Agarro has a very supple feel, at the same pressure it felt too low, I upped to 17psi and felt better. But sometimes maybe supple faster even though it doesn't 'feel' as fast as harder tire.

This is primitive single track East coast lots of pedaling and roots

Have you typically kept the same pressure, lower or higher when using an Agarro?

Got rocks?

Vittoria Agarro

I had to go lower on my 2.6 the keep traction. Didnít have the traction I wanted at the same pressures as other tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    how is your air pressure on the Agarro vs other similar tires. I am on 2.35" on 29mm FLOWs with them on the rear. Last tire was WTB Trail Boss Light/High Grip 2.4. I had the Trail boss at 16psi tubeless no inserts.

The Agarro has a very supple feel, at the same pressure it felt too low, I upped to 17psi and felt better. But sometimes maybe supple faster even though it doesn't 'feel' as fast as harder tire.

Have you typically kept the same pressure, lower or higher when using an Agarro?
    I found the lack of high frequency vibration from Vittorias can make them feel slower, all while going faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

What do you mean by "it felt too low"? Just curious... I've found the Agarro (and Martello) to ride really nicely at low pressures. I end up at low pressures with most every tire, but Vittorias seem to handle it better. The casing and APF inserts add stability and a damped feel (like Suns mentioned) and help prevent rim whacks.

Personally I'm at 11F/13R on 2.6 Agarros on 30mm ID rims in slow and technical rocky/rooty MA singletrack. When speeds increase, impact forces increase as well, so pressures need to increase to prevent flats.

Just a flesh wound
    This is the Agarro in a 29 x 2.6 on 35mm internal rims. (Ibis S35 on a Ripmo) I have been running 14 psi front and 15 psi rear. I really like them. They replaced a DHF front, 2.5 WT and an Aggressor rear, 2.5 WT. I feel that the Agarro has better climbing traction than the Aggressor. The DHF on the front has more bite on the loose stuff, but on everything else the Agarro is equal or better. The tires roll fast and the transition from center to side knobs is seamless.

They measure 64mm on both the wider side knobs and the casing. It took two rides for them to reach full size. Here in the rocky and rooty singletrack of MA and VT, they are great so far. No issues with traction, cornering or braking. Mounted up tubeless with no issues.Vittoria Agarro-agarro.jpgVittoria Agarro-agarro-2.jpg
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    What do you mean by "it felt too low"?
    It felt like when I've had a slight slow leak in a tire and forget to check it. Then rush to the trail head and jump on and start riding. I think it is just that I am not used to it. Someone else had pointed out that the casing on this tire has a supple feel to it compared to others.

I'm going to go back down and see if I can get times vs feel to draw conclusions.

mtbr member
    Man you guys get away with some low pressures.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Man you guys get away with some low pressures.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Ha! I weigh 165 all kitted. If I were going to highlands for lift served, I'd add some more pressure, like 20 front and 22 rear. Totally different kind of riding. But in the slower techy stuff that we call XC in MA, compliance of the tire is huge. Flow is something you make, not necessarily something that exists. To get the flow, you need to ooze through. Obviously there is a limit, but it's not much above a rim strike. I realized the benefits of lower pressure when I got a fat bike. Totally changed my mindset regarding tire pressure and rim width. Before that, I built up a set of 27.5 carbon hoops with 32mm internal width. The lateral stability of the tires increased dramatically, even with low pressures of like 16 to 18 psi. But it was the fat bike that got me to go lower. The new tires are designed for wider rims. The stability built into the casing is noticeable. The added size of the contact patch from the lower pressure increases traction. The lower pressure allows the tire to conform to the terrain and roll through as opposed to up and over.

I hope this ramble makes sense to someone. I first read about the low pressure phenomenon on this forum many moons ago. It was translated from a German bike magazine study. The science was good. Done at a reputable university's engineering department.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

Got rocks?
    I donít know how you could ride at high pressures. My bike wonít grip for crap with the pressure some people run. Iím 235 and run 17-19 from and 21-23 rear depending on which tire Iím running. More than that and my tires bounce off rocks and donít grip for crap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    I donít know how you could ride at high pressures. My bike wonít grip for crap with the pressure some people run. Iím 235 and run 17-19 from and 21-23 rear depending on which tire Iím running. More than that and my tires bounce off rocks and donít grip for crap.
    Do you run tire inserts? At those pressures I'd be dinging rims left and right, and I only weigh 170.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDork View Post
    Do you run tire inserts? At those pressures I'd be dinging rims left and right, and I only weigh 170.
    It's also about adjusting riding style to not smash into everything. I grew up racing cyclocross, and when you're running really low pressure on 30mm wide tires, you learn to anticipate chunky stuff and unweight the bike a bit to float over it. That said, those of us who ride low pressure in chunky tech stuff do occasionally mis-judge or not see a rock and end up whacking a rim and/or flatting a tire. It just comes with the territory.

I will say that the Anti-Pinch Flat inserts in the Agarros have surprised me with their ability to keep the tire from flatting when the inevitable rim-whack sound happens.

If I increase pressure to 20+psi like others report running, it ruins my whole feel for the trail and significantly reduces traction through rough stuff. YMMV of course.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbDork View Post
    No I donít. I have pinched a couple tires but not often enough to change anything. My home trails are sharp edge rocks large and small. Not a lot of rock gardens tho.

I took my agarro off to compare and noticed a nice slice in the cords on the side wall protection which didnít seem to hurt the tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    First ride on the Agarro. Climbing traction is excellent. Like surprised me it was so good. A few tricky loose over hard with roots switch backs and it just motored right up.

No issues with straight line braking. Same excellent climbing traction applies to braking.

I have to get used to how this tire corners. With a little bit of support in the corner it's great. But I am not confident with it on flat corners yet. Doesn't feel like it locks in. But it also slides really well and controlled.

Tire pressures seem like I'll end up lower than maxxis exo casing.

Not sure how I feel about it compared to an Aggressor. It's faster and has better climbing traction, but I think I get more feedback from the Aggressor side knobs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    First ride on the Agarro. Climbing traction is excellent. Like surprised me it was so good. A few tricky loose over hard with roots switch backs and it just motored right up.

No issues with straight line braking. Same excellent climbing traction applies to braking.

I have to get used to how this tire corners. With a little bit of support in the corner it's great. But I am not confident with it on flat corners yet. Doesn't feel like it locks in. But it also slides really well and controlled.

Tire pressures seem like I'll end up lower than maxxis exo casing.

Not sure how I feel about it compared to an Aggressor. It's faster and has better climbing traction, but I think I get more feedback from the Aggressor side knobs.
    Good observations... I generally agree. I have found the Aggressor to work well as a rear tire for days in the bike park, where I run so much higher pressure that things like casing feel and suppleness/behavior at low pressures don't matter. It never worked well for me as a trail riding tire though, at least on the terrain I ride. It just feels dead and not particularly impressive in any one quality. That's where the Agarro shines - it has such a great overall balance of traction, speed, and ride feel. I do agree it's drifty in loose corners, but at least it's predictable. As I've said before, if you want a "locked-in" feel on the front, use a Mazza/DHF/similar.

g=9.764m/s2
    I have over 1k miles on 2.6 Agarro on the rear with DHF on front. The Agarro has been awesome as a rear tire so Iíve moved that Agarro to the front and put a Agarro 2.35 rear. Here is my analogy after the first ride.

DHF - butter knife
    Agarro - Henckels Twin Professional cutlery set

Un-Real!!! The grip and responsiveness of the Agarro on front is mind blowing!!! I noticed I was letting off the brake in areas where the DHF has always been vague. It has transformed the performance of the bike with agility and precision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone run the aggaro on 25mm rims? I am wondering if they would work well with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm currently 145lbs at 15.5 psi on Agarro on the rear with a Flow 29mm Internal Width rim.

I've been liking this tire. At first I was too high in pressure and have slowly been bringing it back down to find the best traction.

g=9.764m/s2
    I'm currently 145lbs at 15.5 psi on Agarro on the rear with a Flow 29mm Internal Width rim.

I've been liking this tire. At first I was too high in pressure and have slowly been bringing it back down to find the best traction.
    Be careful in rocky terrain with that low psi. Same weight with rear 2.6 on 30mm, Mine was likely that low from a slow leak when I landed on a sharp rock which dented the rim and pinched the bead.

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Undescended View Post
    I have over 1k miles on 2.6 Agarro on the rear with DHF on front. The Agarro has been awesome as a rear tire so Iíve moved that Agarro to the front and put a Agarro 2.35 rear. Here is my analogy after the first ride.

DHF - butter knife
    Agarro - Henckels Twin Professional cutlery set

Un-Real!!! The grip and responsiveness of the Agarro on front is mind blowing!!! I noticed I was letting off the brake in areas where the DHF has always been vague. It has transformed the performance of the bike with agility and precision.
    Thatís interesting after running it on the rear of mine I donít think Iíd want it on the front for my trails. Doesnít seem like it would grip enough. I stopped running tires with big transition gaps because of the dhf. Love tires with transition knobs or smaller gaps on the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    Anyone run the aggaro on 25mm rims? I am wondering if they would work well with them.
    I ran the 2.35 Agarro for several months on 25mm ID rims - worked great! No complaints whatsoever with that setup. After swapping to 30mm rims, I now run the 2.6.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    I run Martello and Agarro 2.35 on 25mm E1700 for a month now, works great.

*Real size, however, is closer to 2.25 - 2.30.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How does the Martello 2.35 compare as a rear tire to the Agarro 2.35?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Send View Post
    I do agree it's drifty in loose corners, but at least it's predictable. As I've said before, if you want a "locked-in" feel on the front, use a Mazza/DHF/similar.
    And what about that locked in feel on the rear to pair with a Mazza? I'm looking for medium, ramped knobs in the center channel, few transition knobs with a nice channel, and full size cornering knobs similar to DHF or similar. Agarro seems close but I want more of a transition channel. Dissector looks close but it doesn't wow me. What else is similar that's out there? I want a Vittoria-ized Dissector really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    And what about that locked in feel on the rear to pair with a Mazza? I'm looking for medium, ramped knobs in the center channel, few transition knobs with a nice channel, and full size cornering knobs similar to DHF or similar. Agarro seems close but I want more of a transition channel. Dissector looks close but it doesn't wow me. What else is similar that's out there? I want a Vittoria-ized Dissector really.
    Specialized eliminator comes to mind

2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider77 View Post
    Specialized eliminator comes to mind

I like it. Mazza/Eliminator sounds pretty great. Sorry to put this in the Agarro thread.

g=9.764m/s2
    Use Code: JULY4TH
    20% off Vittoria.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123