used wheel sets?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2008

used wheel sets?

i really want a pair of mavic crossmax's but they are so damn expensive! i saw on ebay a bunch of used ones for around 400 which is about half the price. how much of a gamble is that?

also is there a cheaper tire set that will take just as much beating?

mtbr member
    As long as the seller has near 100% positive ratings (read them), has sold more than about 50 items, and attests that the wheels are in excellent or better condition I'd say it could be worth the gamble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMS
    i really want a pair of mavic crossmax's but they are so damn expensive! i saw on ebay a bunch of used ones for around 400 which is about half the price. how much of a gamble is that?

also is there a cheaper tire set that will take just as much beating?
    I'm not sure that anyone can really answer this question but you. For $400 you are getting a set of wheels that you know little about - have they been abused, how many miles, etc.... The real question is, if something goes wrong, will you be able to fix it? Mavic uses proprietary spokes and hubs - can you fix it yourself, or does your LBS have the capability to fix them? If so, then maybe it is worthwhile.

Personally, I'd look at getting a set of wheels built up. Understand that I am biased against the factory-built wheels with proprietary components. If you have a local shop that you trust, talk to them. Or, look on-line at a site like Colorado Cyclist or Universal Cycles - for example, you can get an XTR/Mavic 717 wheelset for less than $400. They might not be as sexy, but its easy to get a broken spoke fixed if they break, and the hubs will be under warranty when you get the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2nd wheelset? And you haven't seen them? Think twice before you buy. How about a new Shimano XT wheelset?

Members who have read this thread: 0