Updated info on new Hope disc hub.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Updated info on new Hope disc hub.

Bikemagic.com had a brief write-up on the new Hope Disc hubset. It also finally had a <i>name</i> for the thing, which is nice. So we can all start calling it the "Pro 2" instead of "The mysterious new Hope disc hub with unknown specs."

Article is here: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4196/v/2/ and is reprinted below.

<i>Also new from Hope are the Pro 2 hubs. The rear has a new freehub mechanism with a pawl retainer that threads in to the hub shell - no more pawls and springs falling out at inconvenient moments. There'll be a four-pawl mechanism available with rapid take-up for trials guys, and the modular hub design means that the rear can be run with a regular 10mm quick-release axle, a 10mm Saint/Hone style axle or a 12mm through-axle. Similarly, the front hub will be convertible between 9mm QR and 20mm through-axle modes like the existing Bulb but lighter.</i>

This is interesting news to me because the email from Hope that was posted here earlier made no mention of a fast-engaging four-pawl "trials" version, just a standard 24-point engagement version. So apparently Hope is putting out different information depending on who you talk to there. Anyway, I was happy to hear that we may still have a fast engagement option available, since the current Bulb offers 36 points. Sounds like a pretty nice package...assuming this is correct info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    Yeh, that's news to me. I posted the letter from Hope earlier. Hope builds quality products so I couldn't understand why they would seem to take a step backward. Seems they could be poised to take a chunk of CK's business. I have since purchased a used CK rear hub and am awaiting it's arrival.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi4me
    Bikemagic.com had a brief write-up on the new Hope Disc hubset. It also finally had a <i>name</i> for the thing, which is nice. So we can all start calling it the "Pro 2" instead of "The mysterious new Hope disc hub with unknown specs."

Article is here: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4196/v/2/ and is reprinted below.

<i>Also new from Hope are the Pro 2 hubs. The rear has a new freehub mechanism with a pawl retainer that threads in to the hub shell - no more pawls and springs falling out at inconvenient moments. There'll be a four-pawl mechanism available with rapid take-up for trials guys, and the modular hub design means that the rear can be run with a regular 10mm quick-release axle, a 10mm Saint/Hone style axle or a 12mm through-axle. Similarly, the front hub will be convertible between 9mm QR and 20mm through-axle modes like the existing Bulb but lighter.</i>

This is interesting news to me because the email from Hope that was posted here earlier made no mention of a fast-engaging four-pawl "trials" version, just a standard 24-point engagement version. So apparently Hope is putting out different information depending on who you talk to there. Anyway, I was happy to hear that we may still have a fast engagement option available, since the current Bulb offers 36 points. Sounds like a pretty nice package...assuming this is correct info.
    So, is the Pro 2 going to replace the Bulb, or be offered in addition to it? Anyone know how many points of engagement the the four pawl version will have?

No, that's not phonetic
    It's too bad you are going to need some new splined tool and a vice to get at the hubs shell's drive side bearing. Same deal with DT.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.