Thread: TyreWiz?

mtbr member

TyreWiz?

I love gadgetry, but I don't get this:

https://www.quarq.com/product/quarq-...511q2q8sbrlhgx

What's the use of knowing your real-time tire pressure?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Interesting. In conjunction with a shockwiz there would be a lot of data that could build into a pretty accurate picture of what is going on during a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    Interesting. In conjunction with a shockwiz there would be a lot of data that could build into a pretty accurate picture of what is going on during a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the most obvious being you can tell when both the tire and shock are bottoming out. I'd assume you want the tire to bottom after the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any more thoughts on Tyrewiz? I am a low-budget no-frills kind of guy, but I had the opportunity to ride a bike with em a few weeks ago, and I thought they were pretty cool. I didn't have any app going, but just having the blinking lights to immediately show that your tire pressure was in spec was a nice feature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    Yeah, the most obvious being you can tell when both the tire and shock are bottoming out. I'd assume you want the tire to bottom after the shock.
    Maybe in the future it can tell that, somehow. But right now it's like TPMS for your car. You'll know when you have a slow leak or forgot to pump up your tires before a ride. Which is more of a concern with a low-volume, high pressure tubeless road tire than it is a big MTB tire... generally speaking.

But for an instant event like a big gash or severe puncture? You're going to find out just as fast the old fashioned way: you're going to either smash the rim against the ground, or you will feel the tire squirm, or you will burp it. Those are the 3 ways you find out about a rapid loss in pressure.

Rides all the bikes!
    I see people all the time who go weeks or months between checking shock and tire pressure. 2 months after their last check "I seem to be bobbing about a lot, and my tire feels funny". I check mine virtually every ride. So having a real time pressure check will be good for those who don't normally pay attention, and aren't likely to start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I see people all the time who go weeks or months between checking shock and tire pressure. 2 months after their last check "I seem to be bobbing about a lot, and my tire feels funny". I check mine virtually every ride. So having a real time pressure check will be good for those who don't normally pay attention, and aren't likely to start.
    Had this exact thing happen last night before our group ride. A friend didn't know what sag was and hadn't checked his shock pressure in a while. He was running about 60% sag in the rear and about 5% in the front. Also until a couple weeks ago, he didn't even take a pump with him on rides and only aired up his tires every couple weeks. Couldn't figure out why he kept breaking spokes.

He's not an inexperienced rider, but just wasn't aware of how much the pressures can change or what they should be.

Barely in control
    So if you get a slow leak during a ride you'll get an alert your pressure is low before smashing your rim on that next rock garden. I can see the appeal if you're doing some backcountry riding and help is far, far away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How much to have it cleaned out when it gets polluted with sealant?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some people are comfortable measuring tire pressure by hand. Some people are not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.