tubeless wheel loses air after 1 year of no trouble- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

tubeless wheel loses air after 1 year of no trouble

I have the tubeless-ready 2.15 Schwalbe Allmotion Marathon tires on DT Swiss tubeless rims. The wheel has proper tubeless tape and sealant. I use the same tire, sealant and tape on the rear wheel and my other bike with no problem.

For over a year this wheel kept air well, only needed pressure adjustment every few weeks. There is no obvious hole or other leak.

Some weeks ago it went all flat. I tried the following to no avail:
    - injected more sealant and pumped it up
    - replaced rim tape
    - replaced Schrader valve core

The tire holds air for a few days and then goes all flat. So technically I could ride as long as i fill up every 2 days or so.

Any pointers on what I should try next?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Soapy water to find out more about what is leaking. Or a tub of water.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    I have the tubeless-ready 2.15 Schwalbe Allmotion Marathon tires on DT Swiss tubeless rims. The wheel has proper tubeless tape and sealant. I use the same tire, sealant and tape on the rear wheel and my other bike with no problem.

For over a year this wheel kept air well, only needed pressure adjustment every few weeks. There is no obvious hole or other leak.

Some weeks ago it went all flat. I tried the following to no avail:
    - injected more sealant and pumped it up
    - replaced rim tape
    - replaced Schrader valve core

The tire holds air for a few days and then goes all flat. So technically I could ride as long as i fill up every 2 days or so.

Any pointers on what I should try next?
    Pinch flat?

Hitching a ride
    Locate leak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Probably rim tape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for all the responses. Finding the leak it it is rim-tape related seems hard because the air will be in the chamber inside the rim and can come out of all the 32 spoke holes, but with a very tiny amount each hole. and this with a very low loss to begin with.
    so i tried spraying soap water, but didn't see any bubbles. i also submerged part of the wheel at once with no result. I didn't have a tub to submerge the entire wheel, and didn't think it would be good for the bubs.

As for rim tape, obviously this is a prime suspect and the best i can do is to take the tire off again, clean it all, and re-apply new rim tape. unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Some more questions:
    - does rim tape go bad after time or come loose? the old rim tape was very stuck to the rim and it took a lot off elbow grease, mineral spirit and alcohol to get it off. As I
    said, the same rime tape was used on the rear wheel (with higher pressure) and works

One possible mistake i made was inflating the tire to over 40+ psi when seating the great. tire. The tire is rated to 60 psi or so and my normal pressure is 35psi. But one of the rim tape manufacturers suggested a maximum of 40 psi or so if the rim take is single layer and higher pressure requires 2 layers around the rim. Not sure if that matters for 1 minute, na dir the rim tape is damaged from blowing through the spoke holes, i'd expect faster air loss than a few days.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Finding the leak it it is rim-tape related seems hard because the air will be in the chamber inside the rim and can come out of all the 32 spoke holes, but with a very tiny amount each hole. and this with a very low loss to begin with.
    so i tried spraying soap water, but didn't see any bubbles. i also submerged part of the wheel at once with no result. I didn't have a tub to submerge the entire wheel, and didn't think it would be good for the bubs.

As for rim tape, obviously this is a prime suspect and the best i can do is to take the tire off again, clean it all, and re-apply new rim tape. unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Some more questions:
    - does rim tape go bad after time or come loose? the old rim tape was very stuck to the rim and it took a lot off elbow grease, mineral spirit and alcohol to get it off. As I
    said, the same rime tape was used on the rear wheel (with higher pressure) and works

One possible mistake i made was inflating the tire to over 40+ psi when seating the great. tire. The tire is rated to 60 psi or so and my normal pressure is 35psi. But one of the rim tape manufacturers suggested a maximum of 40 psi or so if the rim take is single layer and higher pressure requires 2 layers around the rim. Not sure if that matters for 1 minute, na dir the rim tape is damaged from blowing through the spoke holes, i'd expect faster air loss than a few days.
    I don't know if tape goes back. Not sure I have heard about that.
    I personally have had Stans tape applied since May 2018 and still holding up.

If you haven't already retaped, etc -I'd suggest installing a different tire if you have one laying around, or swapping the front tire to the rear if it's not too difficult to do with the messy sealant.

Prime candidate in my opinion is you have a bad tire, a pinch flat is a good place to start. You'd see bubbles with soapy water at the bead if you sprayed it with a bottle though. I would spray soapy water on the bead so it pools and wait a couple seconds and slowly rotate the wheel and wait, rotate and wait. Do this for both sides....a pinch flat will likely bubble at the bead.
    If you have a tape issue, chances are you'll see bubbles around the valve stem.

It is also possible that the presta core is leaking.

mtbpete
    Apply soapy water to the rim and tire and look for areas that suds occur. If suds occur at the valve area then you have a leak in the tape. If suds occur around the tire then shake sealant to those ares of the tire to attempt to seal them.