Tubeless Tape Thread - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot 2 View Post
    FIRST AND FOREMOST...Thank You for taking the time out to do the homework -

NOTICED: In reference to your NUMBER 1 Pick Tyvek a choice, since I believe based on your research through trial and error and spending alot of $$$ YOU are right -

CHECK OUT: Lineco Tyvek Tape - 1" x 50 Yards MFR # 804-0150

This should cover MOST Mountain, Road, & Gravel applications at 25mm width.

In my experience DT SWISS uses Tyvek with branding printed on throughout the tape?
    So I double checked up on this as it would be great to not have to cut Tyvek sheathing tepe down to size.

The tape you mentioned here is actually made of Tyvek and it not meant to sheath or seal tyvek insulation boards together. It's literally made from the insulation that's in tyvek. So it's not the same as the Tyvek tape we are all referring to.

Tyvek Sheathing tape is different than this tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ive tried Tyvek and Krapton tape with a lot of success, until I started to use Cushcore. The installation and removal is pretty though on tape. So with every tire switch (I change them often) I'd have to retape the rim. Back on Gorrila Black for now.

mtbr member
    It's not always the tape.

I thought I was going nuts or just plain suck at what should be simple.
    I've redone the tape twice, put a dab of silicone between the valve seat and tape, and still, the tire is basically flat by the second morning.

I was about to rip it apart again, clean out all the sealant, tape it again and go for the inner tube tip mentioned earlier (still going to toolbox that one). But first, I wanted to see the air coming out from the valve stem area. So to the bathtub I went....old school.

Was NOT prepared for what I saw. Bad tape job? Nope. Crap wheel? Nope (well, maybe but it's not the problem). Cheap tires? Definitely. Couldn't get a pic and video is too big to upload so I through it on a server.

Take a look and tell me if this happens often. Note: I haven't ridden these tires on a real ride yet, they've been leaking since first install. They are leaking from the sidewall.

http://countertopstories.com/MTB/LeakySidewall.mp4

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    .... Take a look and tell me if this happens often. ...
    Tubeless-ready - NOT.

Some people spin the tire flat and the sidewall-weeping will seal with sealant.

Others report they always have some sealant leakage.

Others need to clean, dry, then apply diluted rubber cement on the inside.

search/google to get the dilution (I can't recall, even though I did it...)
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Frost King Tape from Home Depot or Amazon. Countless mounting and dismounting with no issues on rabbit hole rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33 View Post
    Frost King Tape from Home Depot or Amazon. Countless mounting and dismounting with no issues on rabbit hole rims.
    Would be curious on how this would do with Carbon Rims.

mtbr member
    I've seen a fair number of tires leak air through the sidewall, but usually have gotten it to stop by shaking the tire/wheel so as to splash the sidewalls with sealant. Going for a ride on rough terrain can do it too. Some tires are hopeless.

Leaking sealant and weeping sealant are usually different things. Weeping is clear oily, water soluble liquid appearing on the tire, usually the sidewalls, and not usually accompanied by unusual loss in tire pressure. This is propylene glycol diffusing through the tire. It seems in the last couple of years tires have gotten way better in this regard.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Heavenly Father, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but ...

After many successful tubeless setups, I gots to wonderin' ... if I set up yet another pair of Mulefut 80s with SunRingle tape, and there are some stubborn hold-out bubbles here and there, can I just pop them with a very fine pin and flatten them? Wouldn't Orange Seal take care of the tiny holes, and wouldn't this maximize tape adhesion?

Yes, I am aware of replacing the tube and reinflating overnight and all that wonderfulness, but I'm curious what people think about me ... um ... being a prick.
    Time flies like the wind
    But fruit flies like bananas.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
    Heavenly Father, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but ...

After many successful tubeless setups, I gots to wonderin' ... if I set up yet another pair of Mulefut 80s with SunRingle tape, and there are some stubborn hold-out bubbles here and there, can I just pop them with a very fine pin and flatten them? Wouldn't Orange Seal take care of the tiny holes, and wouldn't this maximize tape adhesion?

Yes, I am aware of replacing the tube and reinflating overnight and all that wonderfulness, but I'm curious what people think about me ... um ... being a prick.
    Is the tape bead to bead?

mtbr member
    In my experience, sealant prevents tape adhesion. Minor bubbles of air trapped between layers of tape should be fine as there's no path for air or sealant. I would recommend against creating paths by poking holes in the tape.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Is the tape bead to bead?
    SunRingle tape on Mulefut80 ... so the tape covers over the bottom of the bead lock channel (and all those silly little holes), up to the base of the side of the rim.
    Time flies like the wind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    In my experience, sealant prevents tape adhesion. Minor bubbles of air trapped between layers of tape should be fine as there's no path for air or sealant. I would recommend against creating paths by poking holes in the tape.
    Okay, that sounds logical. And to back what you are saying, I've successfully set up and ridden on many tubeless wheels, all with some bubbles, and never had a problem, so I'll stick with success. I was really just wondering, so I appreciate the input :-)
    Time flies like the wind

damned rocks...
    My recommendation is for you to stop being a prick as it can cause bad karma later on .

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Anyone ever use the black Tesa 4288 tape?? I know people use the yellow 4289. Just curious because a set of rims i bought came with black tape that looks exactly like the 4288. Im almost certain its the same stuff, i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i wonder if thats rebranded tyvek
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    i wonder if thats rebranded tyvek
    It feels thicker/stronger to me than the tyvek and it comes off easier. Tyvek sucked for me the time I had to take it off. The Frost King comes off easily and cleanly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just bought this to do some wheels for my buddy and it is exactly like the Frost king tape.http://https://www.amazon.com/MD-046...gateway&sr=8-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It feels thicker/stronger to me than the tyvek and it comes off easier. Tyvek sucked for me the time I had to take it off. The Frost King comes off easily and cleanly.
    Interesting. Is a tad stretchy/rubbery like tyvek so easy to lay down?
    As strong or stronger than tyvek re: psi at spoke holes? does not lift up like stans tape when changing tires? How much ride time have you had with it?
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    also, is this it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...T96H/100175156
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes thats it. Its stretchy so easy to lay down, stronger than Tyvek would be a guess but no real data other than my opinion. Ive said before I've done many tire changes without having an issue with the tape. Ride time, Ive been using it since 2016 when I got my Trek Stache 5 that rabbit hole rims. I have changed the tape in that time but not sure if it was one change or two as it might've been one change for rear and maybe twice for the front as i change that tire more. I ride 2-3 times a week about 9 months out of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post
    Anyone ever use the black Tesa 4288 tape?? I know people use the yellow 4289. Just curious because a set of rims i bought came with black tape that looks exactly like the 4288. Im almost certain its the same stuff, i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.
    Tesa 4288 is basically the same as 4289 except for few differences.

* The color
    * Thickness
    * 4288 has less tensile strength than Tesa 4289. 300N/cm vs 420N/cm

It does work fine. Just not as well as 4289.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes thats it. Its stretchy so easy to lay down, stronger than Tyvek would be a guess but no real data other than my opinion. Ive said before I've done many tire changes without having an issue with the tape. Ride time, Ive been using it since 2016 when I got my Trek Stache 5 that rabbit hole rims. I have changed the tape in that time but not sure if it was one change or two as it might've been one change for rear and maybe twice for the front as i change that tire more. I ride 2-3 times a week about 9 months out of the year.
    Thanks for the info. Im gonna try it next time.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone know where I can get the right tyvek tap in the UK?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Is this the same thing, from Amazon?
    https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-T9...511233410&th=1
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i just got the frost king tape from amazon. Didnt apply yet but it seems quite stretchy and easier to break with my fingernail than the tyvek. Does frost king make a different tape or is that right? Realized youre using it with fat tires at low psi; I run 2.4-2.5 with 20-29 psi. Thanks.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    does anybody know what's the new red tape enve is using?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567