Tubeless Tape Thread - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot 2 View Post
    FIRST AND FOREMOST...Thank You for taking the time out to do the homework -

NOTICED: In reference to your NUMBER 1 Pick Tyvek a choice, since I believe based on your research through trial and error and spending alot of $$$ YOU are right -

CHECK OUT: Lineco Tyvek Tape - 1" x 50 Yards MFR # 804-0150

This should cover MOST Mountain, Road, & Gravel applications at 25mm width.

In my experience DT SWISS uses Tyvek with branding printed on throughout the tape?
    So I double checked up on this as it would be great to not have to cut Tyvek sheathing tepe down to size.

The tape you mentioned here is actually made of Tyvek and it not meant to sheath or seal tyvek insulation boards together. It's literally made from the insulation that's in tyvek. So it's not the same as the Tyvek tape we are all referring to.

Tyvek Sheathing tape is different than this tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ive tried Tyvek and Krapton tape with a lot of success, until I started to use Cushcore. The installation and removal is pretty though on tape. So with every tire switch (I change them often) I'd have to retape the rim. Back on Gorrila Black for now.

mtbr member
    It's not always the tape.

I thought I was going nuts or just plain suck at what should be simple.
    I've redone the tape twice, put a dab of silicone between the valve seat and tape, and still, the tire is basically flat by the second morning.

I was about to rip it apart again, clean out all the sealant, tape it again and go for the inner tube tip mentioned earlier (still going to toolbox that one). But first, I wanted to see the air coming out from the valve stem area. So to the bathtub I went....old school.

Was NOT prepared for what I saw. Bad tape job? Nope. Crap wheel? Nope (well, maybe but it's not the problem). Cheap tires? Definitely. Couldn't get a pic and video is too big to upload so I through it on a server.

Take a look and tell me if this happens often. Note: I haven't ridden these tires on a real ride yet, they've been leaking since first install. They are leaking from the sidewall.

http://countertopstories.com/MTB/LeakySidewall.mp4

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF777 View Post
    .... Take a look and tell me if this happens often. ...
    Tubeless-ready - NOT.

Some people spin the tire flat and the sidewall-weeping will seal with sealant.

Others report they always have some sealant leakage.

Others need to clean, dry, then apply diluted rubber cement on the inside.

search/google to get the dilution (I can't recall, even though I did it...)
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Frost King Tape from Home Depot or Amazon. Countless mounting and dismounting with no issues on rabbit hole rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropout33 View Post
    Frost King Tape from Home Depot or Amazon. Countless mounting and dismounting with no issues on rabbit hole rims.
    Would be curious on how this would do with Carbon Rims.

mtbr member
    I've seen a fair number of tires leak air through the sidewall, but usually have gotten it to stop by shaking the tire/wheel so as to splash the sidewalls with sealant. Going for a ride on rough terrain can do it too. Some tires are hopeless.

Leaking sealant and weeping sealant are usually different things. Weeping is clear oily, water soluble liquid appearing on the tire, usually the sidewalls, and not usually accompanied by unusual loss in tire pressure. This is propylene glycol diffusing through the tire. It seems in the last couple of years tires have gotten way better in this regard.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Heavenly Father, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but ...

After many successful tubeless setups, I gots to wonderin' ... if I set up yet another pair of Mulefut 80s with SunRingle tape, and there are some stubborn hold-out bubbles here and there, can I just pop them with a very fine pin and flatten them? Wouldn't Orange Seal take care of the tiny holes, and wouldn't this maximize tape adhesion?

Yes, I am aware of replacing the tube and reinflating overnight and all that wonderfulness, but I'm curious what people think about me ... um ... being a prick.
    Time flies like the wind
    But fruit flies like bananas.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
    Heavenly Father, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but ...

After many successful tubeless setups, I gots to wonderin' ... if I set up yet another pair of Mulefut 80s with SunRingle tape, and there are some stubborn hold-out bubbles here and there, can I just pop them with a very fine pin and flatten them? Wouldn't Orange Seal take care of the tiny holes, and wouldn't this maximize tape adhesion?

Yes, I am aware of replacing the tube and reinflating overnight and all that wonderfulness, but I'm curious what people think about me ... um ... being a prick.
    Is the tape bead to bead?

mtbr member
    In my experience, sealant prevents tape adhesion. Minor bubbles of air trapped between layers of tape should be fine as there's no path for air or sealant. I would recommend against creating paths by poking holes in the tape.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Is the tape bead to bead?
    SunRingle tape on Mulefut80 ... so the tape covers over the bottom of the bead lock channel (and all those silly little holes), up to the base of the side of the rim.
    Time flies like the wind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    In my experience, sealant prevents tape adhesion. Minor bubbles of air trapped between layers of tape should be fine as there's no path for air or sealant. I would recommend against creating paths by poking holes in the tape.
    Okay, that sounds logical. And to back what you are saying, I've successfully set up and ridden on many tubeless wheels, all with some bubbles, and never had a problem, so I'll stick with success. I was really just wondering, so I appreciate the input :-)
    Time flies like the wind

damned rocks...
    My recommendation is for you to stop being a prick as it can cause bad karma later on .

SendIt
    Nov 2018
    Anyone ever use the black Tesa 4288 tape?? I know people use the yellow 4289. Just curious because a set of rims i bought came with black tape that looks exactly like the 4288. Im almost certain its the same stuff, i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i wonder if thats rebranded tyvek
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    i wonder if thats rebranded tyvek
    It feels thicker/stronger to me than the tyvek and it comes off easier. Tyvek sucked for me the time I had to take it off. The Frost King comes off easily and cleanly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just bought this to do some wheels for my buddy and it is exactly like the Frost king tape.http://https://www.amazon.com/MD-046...gateway&sr=8-3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It feels thicker/stronger to me than the tyvek and it comes off easier. Tyvek sucked for me the time I had to take it off. The Frost King comes off easily and cleanly.
    Interesting. Is a tad stretchy/rubbery like tyvek so easy to lay down?
    As strong or stronger than tyvek re: psi at spoke holes? does not lift up like stans tape when changing tires? How much ride time have you had with it?
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    also, is this it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...T96H/100175156
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes thats it. Its stretchy so easy to lay down, stronger than Tyvek would be a guess but no real data other than my opinion. Ive said before I've done many tire changes without having an issue with the tape. Ride time, Ive been using it since 2016 when I got my Trek Stache 5 that rabbit hole rims. I have changed the tape in that time but not sure if it was one change or two as it might've been one change for rear and maybe twice for the front as i change that tire more. I ride 2-3 times a week about 9 months out of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal Mtb Addict View Post
    Anyone ever use the black Tesa 4288 tape?? I know people use the yellow 4289. Just curious because a set of rims i bought came with black tape that looks exactly like the 4288. Im almost certain its the same stuff, i should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. Just curious if anyone has any experience with it.
    Tesa 4288 is basically the same as 4289 except for few differences.

* The color
    * Thickness
    * 4288 has less tensile strength than Tesa 4289. 300N/cm vs 420N/cm

It does work fine. Just not as well as 4289.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes thats it. Its stretchy so easy to lay down, stronger than Tyvek would be a guess but no real data other than my opinion. Ive said before I've done many tire changes without having an issue with the tape. Ride time, Ive been using it since 2016 when I got my Trek Stache 5 that rabbit hole rims. I have changed the tape in that time but not sure if it was one change or two as it might've been one change for rear and maybe twice for the front as i change that tire more. I ride 2-3 times a week about 9 months out of the year.
    Thanks for the info. Im gonna try it next time.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone know where I can get the right tyvek tap in the UK?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Is this the same thing, from Amazon?
    https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-T9...511233410&th=1
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i just got the frost king tape from amazon. Didnt apply yet but it seems quite stretchy and easier to break with my fingernail than the tyvek. Does frost king make a different tape or is that right? Realized youre using it with fat tires at low psi; I run 2.4-2.5 with 20-29 psi. Thanks.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    does anybody know what's the new red tape enve is using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I havenít had any real tape problems with any name brand tape the last couple years until just recently with a cushcore install. I believe I keep ripping the stand tape Iím using when I have to dual tire lever the last 10Ē of tire on.
    Gonna try a roll of Tyvek from Amazon, sounds like its a bit tougher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've just switched to Tyvek (blue) Vapor Barrier tape and it's holding extremely well, didn't even require sealant except for the valve stem. (Tried Gorilla, Duct tape, strapping tape etc and nothing was as good as Tyvek so far, I run 60PSI)

Just wanted to post here with a tip however: I noticed that my previous tapes were getting cut at the edges of the spoke drill holes. This time I took a beveled grinding stone in a drill and smoothed the edges out just a tiny bit. This should avoid the tape getting cut up when pressure changes. I highly recommend this step if you have sharp hole edges like I did on my MTB rims.

Not a role model
    Don't really like the kapton tape, as it doesn't conform to the rim bed that easily. The usual method of putting the tape on with a bit of tension to keep the tape smooth, makes the tape sort of hover over the center channel, using tape that is about 5-6mm wider than the inner rim width (e.g. 35mm tape for 29ID). Can press it down, but it comes back up. 25mm kapton applied easily and perfectly on some older 19mm rims though (Giant PXCR-0).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I got around to trying Frost King tape. Stretchy and Easier to put on and remove than even Tyvek, but I think its a tad heavier. I was a little worried it would sretch and break across the spoke holes but no problem there at 30 psi with a big tire, i did not test high psi though. Held air superbly and does not lift off the rim during tire changes. Put a fatal dent in the rear rim a couple weeks ago, still held air!
    Replaced rim with WTB KOM Tough with the new tcs 2.0 system, do yourself a favor and get this system next time you need a rim. A thicker (but not heavy) strip goes over the spoke holes, taping over that is super easy. i just used the frost king tape over that instead of buying the WTB Flex tape (its probabaly real simiiar lol.) Has not dropped a single pSI in a week. will report back after long term usage. btw ive also found taht yeah, if tyvek is on for a long time, its a PITA to remove.
    '18 banshee rune

Formerly of Kent
    Is that a type of clear weatherstripping tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Is that a type of clear weatherstripping tape?

The frost king ? Yes. its mentioned ny another earlier in this thread. So is Tyvek.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Updated the 1st post.

I got around to trying to the frost king tape on some brand new enve's and reynolds. It does not work on carbon. It acted like it was going to stick but the moment I turned the wheel the tape would just fall off.. So I tried it on another carbon wheelset and the same thing. This tape is for aluminum rims only.

Needless to say I busted out tyvek and perfect. I just wish there was an easier way to cut the tyvek tape.

tl:dr = frost king is for aluminum rims only.

This was the version of FK i was using
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Tape Thread-img_20190620_212856.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Don't really like the kapton tape, as it doesn't conform to the rim bed that easily. The usual method of putting the tape on with a bit of tension to keep the tape smooth, makes the tape sort of hover over the center channel, using tape that is about 5-6mm wider than the inner rim width (e.g. 35mm tape for 29ID). Can press it down, but it comes back up. 25mm kapton applied easily and perfectly on some older 19mm rims though (Giant PXCR-0).
    For carbon rims like kapton tape. In 1st gen hookless rims it does lay down good edge to edge. In more modern rims I go with narrower 15 - 20mm width tape and just lay the tape in the trough. At $2/roll on ebay just too cheap for this cheapazz to pass on. Because you have so much exposed edge putting a tube in it overnight can press and seal the tape down better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    Updated the 1st post.

I got around to trying to the frost king tape on some brand new enve's and reynolds. It does not work on carbon. It acted like it was going to stick but the moment I turned the wheel the tape would just fall off.. So I tried it on another carbon wheelset and the same thing. This tape is for aluminum rims only.

Needless to say I busted out tyvek and perfect. I just wish there was an easier way to cut the tyvek tape.

tl:dr = frost king is for aluminum rims only.

This was the version of FK i was using
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hey combfilter,
    In the past I have cut the tape on the roll, going deep for a few wraps, then unwrapped it and cut more as I pulled off the roll. Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    For carbon rims like kapton tape. In more modern rims I go with narrower 15 - 20mm width tape and just lay the tape in the trough. ...
    Me too. I use 20mm, a single layer for mtb and two for road. I have a CF road set going on 4 years and my mtb CF set going over 2 years with the same tape jobs. I've dealt with Stan's a similar polyester tapes, Gorilla duct tape (the worst), Orange Seal tape, etc.. and Kapton beats the all in terms of ease of installation, reliability, and ease of removal and cleanup when replacing it.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was told to use the 3M 8896 strapping tape, ordered a roll from amazon, and it wont even try to stick to the rim. Cleaned with alcohol, heated the rim a bit with blow dryer, nothing helps. Am I missing something or did I possibly get a bad roll of tape?

Magically Delicious
    Does the tape stick to any other surfaces?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Another vote for the Tyvek tape. I tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Went on easy and has been perfect since. The only down side is having to cut it to width. However it's cheap, light, strong, and sticks to the rim well. I did test removing it though only leaving it on for a few minutes for a quick test. Was easy and came off clean. I'll have to see how it does long term.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Reposting my love for green poly tape / green powder coat masking tape / 3M 8992.

It is not a strapping tape like many of the others mentioned in the thread. It elongates slightly, allowing it to conform to your rim channel. It has a strong, clean adhesive that works on carbon. It's very cheap on Amazon or from various powder coat suppliers.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/72-yard...-width-1325312

Found a uk place for it that actually has a sensible price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well, the long term reliability of Frost King tape may be called into question. After a couple months, I changed the rear tire and around about half the rim there is sealant under the tape, mostly under the upper overlap layer. Its a tcs 2.0 with the rubber strip over spoke holes so that helps. Was in a hurry so didnt wipe it all down for a clear look at exactly whats going on, just put new tire on with crossed fingers and went for a ride. still held air...will report back after full removal and investigation.. possible bummer. will report back...
    '18 banshee rune

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    Reposting my love for green poly tape / green powder coat masking tape / 3M 8992.

It is not a strapping tape like many of the others mentioned in the thread. It elongates slightly, allowing it to conform to your rim channel. It has a strong, clean adhesive that works on carbon. It's very cheap on Amazon or from various powder coat suppliers.
    I ordered some to try.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    I was told to use the 3M 8896 strapping tape, ordered a roll from amazon, and it wont even try to stick to the rim. Cleaned with alcohol, heated the rim a bit with blow dryer, nothing helps. Am I missing something or did I possibly get a bad roll of tape?
    8896 has low stick, 8898 has more glue for high stick. I've been using 8898 for most of my rims but on my new 38mm rim, it isn't working out. So I'd say up to 30mm it's ok. It doesn't stick to itself very well so I run a bead of epoxy at the end point.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I ordered some to try.
    Iím pretty sold on it. Great durability. I throw a dab if superglue on the last overlapping bit to make sure it never comes apart (glue never touches rim). Also, on a per foot basis, itís pretty damn cheap.

Death from Below.

Hitching a ride
    I ordered about $90 worth of tape last night.

Did we ever figure out what tape DT swiss uses? It seems pretty good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well, the long term reliability of Frost King tape may be called into question. After a couple months, I changed the rear tire and around about half the rim there is sealant under the tape, mostly under the upper overlap layer. Its a tcs 2.0 with the rubber strip over spoke holes so that helps. Was in a hurry so didnt wipe it all down for a clear look at exactly whats going on, just put new tire on with crossed fingers and went for a ride. still held air...will report back after full removal and investigation.. possible bummer. will report back...
    I experienced the same and It was never problem for me. good luck

Hitching a ride
    Are you guys using epoxy on the end of the tape? I've often found sealant under the overlap until the valve core stops it. I started epoxy on the end and stopped this. Just 5 min mix together hobby epoxy. Standard superglue didn't work, but the Gorilla brand superglue did work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I experienced the same and It was never problem for me. good luck
    Meaning u had sealant under the tape, but never lost any air?
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Are you guys using epoxy on the end of the tape? I've often found sealant under the overlap until the valve core stops it. I started epoxy on the end and stopped this. Just 5 min mix together hobby epoxy. Standard superglue didn't work, but the Gorilla brand superglue did work.
    Dang, thats brilliant im gonna try that next time. Yeah, i think its under the tape from the overlap to the valve (my overlap is opposite the valve)
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well some sealant is leaking out of a spoke hole. Sigh...
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I didn't like Tyvek on aluminum wheels due to residue left behind. I had put some small pieces on a fat wheel on the rim seam and over some of the pin joint holes in the bead shelf and then used regular sun ringle tape on the entire wheel over the top. I put it on last november/december and rode in the cold mn winter. When I swapped tires this spring I had to retape. The sun ringle tape came off clean with no residue. the little pieces of tyvek left residue over nearly their entire area (and sealant looked to have gotten under a little.

TLDR - tyvek on aluminum fat wheels that experienced subzero F temps and maybe up to 70F left behind nasty residue after 6 months or less. I used orange seal if that affects anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    No one mention setting up the tape to the rim with the inner tube in at full psi for couple hour.
    That's the secret for any tape.
    This is the only way I could get my road bike to seal. Good advice for all tubeless, have been using tubes to seat tape on all my bikes since then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post

I bought some of this, thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well some sealant is leaking out of a spoke hole. Sigh...
    Im gonna give frost king another go, this time with 2 full layers of tape and the epoxy on the loose end trick. Simply because its so easy to apply to the rim. If it doesnt hold up this time...back to tyvek.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I ordered about $90 worth of tape last night.

Did we ever figure out what tape DT swiss uses? It seems pretty good.
    I disagree, i bought a dt swiss c1800 gravel wheelset with dt swiss tubeless tape installed, and ran it with effetto mariposa caffelatex sealant, after a month or two the rim tape in my rear wheel failed, and after about a year the tape in my front wheel failed as well.

This was with the tires always inflated between 3 and 4 bars (and very briefly 5 bars to seat the tire). Both failures where at the spoke holes. Curiously the tape seemed damaged at multiple spoke holes, but i think the sealant managed to plug some of them up (the caffťlatex is a foaming sealant, pretty great stuff)

I took the tires off to replace the tape, and saw that the logo's had faded away/peeled of for the most part. I sent them a customer request support, and they referred me to a local bike shop that was partnered with them, but they said that my tape was not the original tape because the original tape should have logos on it...

Didn't bother with continuing to ask for tape since they probably would have replaced it with the same tape which would have failed again.

I replaced it with 2 layers of effetto mariposa tubeless tape on both wheels, and that has worked well so far for the last few months.

It is a different tape than some others in that it does seem pretty strong, and it's not stretchy which makes it a bit more time consuming to apply, but effetto mariposa says that that makes the tape adhere better.

Hitching a ride
    Sounds like the caffelatex sealant was eating away at the tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Maybe, And i guess that the sealant is somewhat uncommon in that it is in contact with the tape due to it's foaming properties.

mtbr member
    When you guys are talking about sealant eating the tape, you mean the adhesive is coming loose, not the substrate being affected, right? I haven't seen sealant affect plastic film of the tape. I've certainly seen plenty of situations where the film stops adhering to the rim with the adhesive turned into a gooey mess.

The Kapton tape I've been using has silicone adhesive and has held up to Stan's for years on road/mtb carbon and aluminum rims.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Im gonna give frost king another go, this time with 2 full layers of tape and the epoxy on the loose end trick. Simply because its so easy to apply to the rim. If it doesnt hold up this time...back to tyvek.
    Let is set over night with a tube inflated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Let is set over night with a tube inflated.
    I always do that

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    When you guys are talking about sealant eating the tape, you mean the adhesive is coming loose, not the substrate being affected, right? I haven't seen sealant affect plastic film of the tape. I've certainly seen plenty of situations where the film stops adhering to the rim with the adhesive turned into a gooey mess.

The Kapton tape I've been using has silicone adhesive and has held up to Stan's for years on road/mtb carbon and aluminum rims.
    In my case the actual dt swiss branding had dissapeared because of the sealant. I don't know if the tape failed because dt swiss ships weak tape, or if the sealant affected the structural integrity of the tape, but the logo's were probably gone because of the sealant. The adhesion to the rim however, was still perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfendrek123 View Post
    ... dt swiss ships weak tape...
    Say that three times fast.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Tyvek, so far no issues on CF rims

Music & Bikes
    I haven't read all the replies but a tip to remove the stuff left from Gorilla tape is to use some more gorilla tape.
    Take a piece around your finger , glue side exterior (doh!) , and just remove the stuff left with that. You sometimes have to pass a couple of times over it.

IME it doesn't work as well if you tried to remove before with other chemical stuff.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ I have dealt with Gorilla residue. It's easier to avoid it.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anybody use Tyvek on mulefits? I just gave it a shot but see i have sealant leaking out of cutouts. I did two passes around the rim on each side, which left a good amount of overlap in the middle. I wonder i if i should take it off and do 4 full passes?

Tubeless Tape Thread-img_20191129_192234.jpg

Tubeless Tape Thread-img_20191129_192213.jpg

Tubeless Tape Thread-img_20191129_192203.jpg
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    I do, on my girls trailer now. I was having the air leak through the vent holes in the rim that are on the sidewalk. I had to run my tape much wider than yours is laid out. Try pulling it so that it curves up on the sidewalk and get as close to the bead hook as possible. Also better success after using a tube to help compress the tape down, 15psi or so for 24 hours made a big difference. Good luck

Also, is that just tyvek tape? No rimstrip?make sure you run a strip under the tape otherwise the tape will eventually stretch and blow out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Anybody use Tyvek on mulefits? I just gave it a shot but see i have sealant leaking out of cutouts. I did two passes around the rim on each side, which left a good amount of overlap in the middle. I wonder i if i should take it off and do 4 full passes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191129_192234.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	1295657

Name:	IMG_20191129_192213.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	1295659

Name:	IMG_20191129_192203.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	1295661

It looks to me like you have way too many wrinkles and bubbles for that to work.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Formerly of Kent
    I've had very good luck with high temperature powder coating masking tape. 3M 8992, specifically.

Good adhesion, comes off clean (!), easy to apply, strong.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I am running the stock rim strip, which i trimmed down about a 1/4" on each each side, to allow for more surface for the tape to stick. I did install a tube up to 15-20psi and let it sit over night. I wonder if that was too much, which caused the tape to bubble out on the cut outs, ruining the seal. It was better looking before i did that. Does anybody think i should go around twice on each side, would that help? Also any tips on removing the adhesive? Alcohol isnt touching it Tempted to just order the sunringle stuff, since the left over residue was so bad
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I've had very good luck with high temperature powder coating masking tape. 3M 8992, specifically.

Good adhesion, comes off clean (!), easy to apply, strong.
    Yes, I am pretty excited about this stuff too. I am just trying it now but so far it seems remarkably close to ideal, it goes on with the exact right amount of stretch to neatly cover with no wrinkles or bubbles, with good adhesion. It seems plenty tough enough to seal well and hold up, but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Yes, I am pretty excited about this stuff too. I am just trying it now but so far it seems remarkably close to ideal, it goes on with the exact right amount of stretch to neatly cover with no wrinkles or bubbles, with good adhesion. It seems plenty tough enough to seal well and hold up, but time will tell.
    Can it be sourced locally, or needs to be ordered online?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Can it be sourced locally, or needs to be ordered online?
    I got it through the local branch of R.S. Hughes, they also sell it online.

mtbr member
    Tubeless Tape Thread-gorilla_heavy_duty_packaging_tape_white_bg.jpg
    Gorilla Heavy Duty Packaging Tape

Giving this stuff a try, taped up a wheel set few months back with it and have not had any issue (leaks) with it so far.

Kind of thick (not stupidly thick), so only need one wrap. The adhesive seems fairly sticky but not overly sticky like Tyvek. Tyvek is great, but is a pain to work with (putting on and taking off).

Be swapping out tires here soon so will see how this stuff is doing/holding up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post

Name:	gorilla_heavy_duty_packaging_tape_white_bg.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	1295873
    Gorilla Heavy Duty Packaging Tape

Will that flex enough to contour into rim channels and curves? I haven't used anything like that but it doesn't seem like it could conform well to anything but a fairly even surface.

I don't think Stan's tape is ideal, it kind of sucks on some rims actually but I haven't tried anything better yet. I think tape in general is a crappy engineering solution for tubeless wheels. Strips made to fit the rim (e.g. Bontrager) seems like an improvement, better yet would be a tapeless rim like Mavic but with a more universal and user friendly nipple system.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Will that flex enough to contour into rim channels and curves? I haven't used anything like that but it doesn't seem like it could conform well to anything but a fairly even surface.
    Not much of any flex to it at all, but I managed to lay it down fairly nicely into channel and curves for the most part. Was a quick last minute tape job after getting frustrated with Tyvek, so wasn't the best tape job.

If the adhesive hold up this might be a fairly nice tape option and its only $4 for 25 yard roll.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Isnít anyone using Kapton anymore. I wrapped a set a while back and havenít had any issues but havenít had the tires off yet to check the status.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I used Kapton on my i40 carbon wheels and it's been holding up great far as I can tell. It was my go-to when trying mulefit 80s for the first time, but it didn't work at all. It was only ~1" wide I think, and sealant seemed to push in between in the cutout areas. Not sure how wide you can get kapton, but if they had a 2"+ maybe that'd be more suitable for a fat wheel.

Tyvek was the only other tape I could find locally besides gorilla. I went around the wheel twice with some overlap in the middle, but it didn't work. Has been a major pita cleaning the residue. Just had to go and get acetone since alcohol and brake clean werent touching it. Hesitant to even try it again due to the residue, but I wanna wrap this up before the snow later today :/. Maybe I'll try two layers to see if that helps??
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Not much of any flex to it at all, but I managed to lay it down fairly nicely into channel and curves for the most part. Was a quick last minute tape job after getting frustrated with Tyvek, so wasn't the best tape job.

If the adhesive hold up this might be a fairly nice tape option and its only $4 for 25 yard roll.
    3M 8992 tape is easy to apply and just flexible enough to conform very smoothly. It is $10 for 72 yards and comes in 1" or 1.5" widths.

mtbr member
    I am the captain of Kapton. It's been very easy to use an totally reliable for me using it on road and mtb tubeless. That said, I've seen some wheels where it wasn't sticking anymore. IDK what went wrong with those, except perhaps inadequate cleaning/prep of the rim before taping.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I'm not sure how to handle the tape edge where the cutouts are....push it down or try to pull it tight?

Tubeless Tape Thread-img_20191201_154100.jpg
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You probably need to use a rim strip before putting the tape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2019 SANTA CRUZ HIGHBALL CC (Custom Built)
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Yes, stock rim strip is there. I trimmed it down a bit
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    yep.. i couldn't see very well on my iphone. the shadow over the holes looked liked there was nothing in there..

im used to taping center then on the sides.

i plan on re-taping my rear and looks like Tyvek is highly recommended. mind sharing where you got yours?
    2019 SANTA CRUZ HIGHBALL CC (Custom Built)
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    yep.. i couldn't see very well on my iphone. the shadow over the holes looked liked there was nothing in there..

im used to taping center then on the sides.

i plan on re-taping my rear and looks like Tyvek is highly recommended. mind sharing where you got yours?
    taping center, then the sides. brilliant idea! wish i thought of that last night before redoing my mulefits with tyvek. i found it at home depot. The left over residue when removing was less than ideal, but i dont have much to compare it to in terms of cleanup at this point
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    I am the captain of Kapton. It's been very easy to use an totally reliable for me using it on road and mtb tubeless. That said, I've seen some wheels where it wasn't sticking anymore. IDK what went wrong with those, except perhaps inadequate cleaning/prep of the rim before taping.
    I've had Kapton not stick to my rim from the start. Spank Oozy Trail 345s. It seems to have an aversion to rough surfaces. It worked great on my WTBs, but for the Spanks I had to use other tapes instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    taping center, then the sides. brilliant idea! wish i thought of that last night before redoing my mulefits with tyvek. i found it at home depot. The left over residue when removing was less than ideal, but i dont have much to compare it to in terms of cleanup at this point
    From experience the tyvek on aluminum leaves way more residue than sun ringle tape. sun tape I've taken off with virtually no residue after a year or more. tyvek tape after 6 months left a gummy mess. It may be different on carbon.

mtbr member
    3M 8992 tape is easy to apply and just flexible enough to conform very smoothly. It is $10 for 72 yards and comes in 1" or 1.5" widths.
    Related, I just ordered this powder coating masking tape. Amazon housebrand. Will be first time trying.

1" X 72 Yds, $7.55
    https://www.amazon.com/72-Yds-Coatin...dp/B00CKGIBYE/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Related, I just ordered this powder coating masking tape. Amazon housebrand. Will be first time trying.

1" X 72 Yds, $7.55
    https://www.amazon.com/72-Yds-Coatin...dp/B00CKGIBYE/
    I would be surprised if that is not the same stuff. Same specs, same color.

mtbr member
    orange seal rim tape? what a disappointment. Tried to get a refund on this crap, they want pictures to prove it failed, guess my word is not good enough, thanks Jen USA, how many thousands of dollars i spent at your store? . It reminds me of pipe thread tape and nearly as fragile. Any others try this tape? never had problems with Stans many years ago, so after many years I want to convert one of wheelsets to tubeless and have to use rim tape not having fun so far. My wifes bike has NOS Shimano tubeless with no spoke holes....so easy. Guess the fell out of favor? to complicated I guess.
    Last edited by jupiter58; 1 Week Ago at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    I am going to give it a try, seems like a good choice, I have shimano MT66 wheel 622X19c. so the 3M tape in 3/4 inch should work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @Gendy.

If those are aluminum I'd use gorilla clear like I said in the original post. For aluminum rims Gorilla Clear is great. For carbon, not so much. I think most fat bike people use gorilla clear or...I know this sounds weird, but they will lay down a layer of electrical tape in the channel to cover up the holes. Then go over that with gorilla clear. Your tyvek tape job is not looking real clean in that picture above. Not ragging on you, but it shouldn't look like. Try covering the holes with 2 rounds of electrical tape, and maybe frost king if you have alum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just a reminder:

Frost King does not work on carbon rims. I am guessing it's probably really good for aluminum rims though?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pro Tip for non weight weenies.

I actually got this from GCN. If you are having issues with tesa/stans/etc tape not sticking well and bubbling a lot, you lay down a thin strip of 1 loop of electrical tape down in the channel only. So just default size electrical tape first, then go over that with tyvek, tesa, etc. The eletrical tape allows the sealing tape to stick better without bubbles. It's weird but it works. I don't need to do shit, because I use tyvek and it always lays down and sticks good for me.

Also:
    If you are re-taping a rim. After you have removed all the old tape and you are at the point you are cleaning the residue off. Be chill with mineral spirits or whatever you are using to clean off the residue. I also advise from using goo gone.. My buddy had used goo gone and what happens is that some of that dripped down in the spoke holes and it doesn't really evaporate or clean out well. So he cleaned the rim with a lot of that and the stuff that went down in the spoke holes came back up after he taped the rim and you can see why his tape job would not work. I also notice that goo gone and those other citrus cleaners leave a slick surface on the rim. It's like a oil that doesn't clean off well. Thus your tape is not going to stick. I'd suggest Mineral Spirits then once done clean the rim very well with soap and water (dawn is fine). THEN DRY THE RIM COMPLETELY before taping again. I put the wheel/rim back on my bike and spin that sucker. Then I take the air compressor and really blow out every hole then let it sit overnight to dry. Granted not all people have that much time. I only have to re-tape my personal wheels maybe once every couple of years, but I tend to have to re-tape my friends wheels as we know tesa/etc doesn't last too long if you change tires a lot or had a crappy installation to begin with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgurme View Post
    FattyStrippers [...]] went on my Mulefuts super easy, and sealed up right away. I bought the kit that included the 3M tape that's used as the "rim tape" to cover the spoke nipples and cutouts.
    [...] They're super lightweight, too.
    A bit of a zombie, but not much on the forum about this -

I'm also using Fatty Stripper rim tape on mulefuts; painless. Originally i was going to stick with the stock rim strip, but the FS (3M brand reflective tape it looks like?) is actually _LIGHTER_ than the thinner (looking) original tape.

While this is working well for me so far, what I haven't been able to find - is the 3M / FattyStripper tape appropriate to cover the cuttouts? To what max tire pressure? It seems like it might have much less (tensile) strength than OEM rim strips.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234