Tubeless (rims/tires) Mounting Help - Tips - Advice for 1st Timer- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Tubeless (rims/tires) Mounting Help - Tips - Advice for 1st Timer

Hello, I have made the jump to tubelss (Bontrager RaceLite UST rims with Conti Vert. Pro Tubeless tires), however, before I can make the jump onto the saddle, I need to mount the tires to the rims. 1. Any general instructions / tips / hints would be greatly appreciated? 2. Specifically: a. Should I apply any soap/water/hairspray on the sidewalls of the tires before mounting? b. Despite an all tubeless setup, should I add any sealant before mounting, i.e., Stan's or is this overkill (my riding is all in Colorado and Utah)? c. Should I inflate the tires at a higher pressure for a couple of days before riding? d. What pressure for front and rear would be a good starting point for a 175lb rider with the Vert. Pros.? Cheers

Combat Wombat

Go here.

Quote Originally Posted by zgco
    Hello, I have made the jump to tubelss (Bontrager RaceLite UST rims with Conti Vert. Pro Tubeless tires), however, before I can make the jump onto the saddle, I need to mount the tires to the rims. 1. Any general instructions / tips / hints would be greatly appreciated? 2. Specifically: a. Should I apply any soap/water/hairspray on the sidewalls of the tires before mounting? b. Despite an all tubeless setup, should I add any sealant before mounting, i.e., Stan's or is this overkill (my riding is all in Colorado and Utah)? c. Should I inflate the tires at a higher pressure for a couple of days before riding? d. What pressure for front and rear would be a good starting point for a 175lb rider with the Vert. Pros.? Cheers
    I have Mavic Crossmax XL USTs on my bike and here is where I went for information.
    www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/cros-tech?lg=uk . Although its for a different brand wheel, I would think the info would still pertain to your wheels.
    Definately wet the edge of the rim with soapy water. Besides making it easier to mount the tire, it helps seal the bead. I mounted my Conti Vert Pros by hand, but it definately requires a certain technique and is kind of difficult to describe, but here goes.
    Forget about how you would mount a standard tire and pay close attention to the diagram that Mavic gives for mounting a UST tire. The part about keeping the first bead in the bottom of the groove, in the center of the rim, is the key to mounting these without using tire levers. Especially 180 degrees out from where you are trying to pull the second bead over the edge of the rim. This will give you just enough slack to mount the tire. Also notice that I said pull the bead over. Grab the tire with both hands and brace your thumbs against the opposite side of the rim that you are pulling the second bead over. This will also hold that first bead in the required groove 180 out from where you are working. Then gripping very tightly, twist your wrists back and pull the second bead over the rim. Work your way around the rest of the rim doing this. I played around with the front tire for quite awhile before finally getting it, but then I was able to get the back right on. And if you can not get it, go ahead and use a set of plastic tire levers. I do not think I know anyone else that runs tubeless, that doesn't. Just be real careful not to damage the bead of the tire. I used my Zefal Husky floor pump to inflate these and they aired up as easily as a tube.
    As far as Stans, if you ride somewhere that most people have to use some kind of tire liner or slime to keep from constantly fixing flats, then Stans is probably a good idea. If flats are not much of a problem, then it is a whole lot less hassle not to mess with it. My bike came with Hutchison Scorpion USTs and they held air fine and I have not had a problem with the Conti Vert Pro USTs that I run now. I mainly ride my roadbike during the week and usually only get the time to go mountainbiking on the weekends. The Contis lose less air while sitting for a week than any tubed tire I have used. I do carry a spare tube and patch kit with me when riding. If you do flat, remove the valve stem and throw in a tube.
    I weigh 155Ibs and run 32 in front and 35 in back. The traction is unbelievable. As far as where to start for your weight, I would post that as seperate question. I am sure someone your size has some personal experience to pass along.
    I know and have ridden with people that have had problems with tubeless. I do not know what is different with what I am now using and what they used, but I have had no problems. Maybe UST tires were not as reliable as they are now? I hope you have as good as luck as I have had.

Brian

Mar 2004

Thanks for your help, Brian

Thanks for your detailed post! Cheers, E.-

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I have Mavic Crossmax XL USTs on my bike and here is where I went for information.
    www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/cros-tech?lg=uk . Although its for a different brand wheel, I would think the info would still pertain to your wheels.
    Definately wet the edge of the rim with soapy water. Besides making it easier to mount the tire, it helps seal the bead. I mounted my Conti Vert Pros by hand, but it definately requires a certain technique and is kind of difficult to describe, but here goes.
    Forget about how you would mount a standard tire and pay close attention to the diagram that Mavic gives for mounting a UST tire. The part about keeping the first bead in the bottom of the groove, in the center of the rim, is the key to mounting these without using tire levers. Especially 180 degrees out from where you are trying to pull the second bead over the edge of the rim. This will give you just enough slack to mount the tire. Also notice that I said pull the bead over. Grab the tire with both hands and brace your thumbs against the opposite side of the rim that you are pulling the second bead over. This will also hold that first bead in the required groove 180 out from where you are working. Then gripping very tightly, twist your wrists back and pull the second bead over the rim. Work your way around the rest of the rim doing this. I played around with the front tire for quite awhile before finally getting it, but then I was able to get the back right on. And if you can not get it, go ahead and use a set of plastic tire levers. I do not think I know anyone else that runs tubeless, that doesn't. Just be real careful not to damage the bead of the tire. I used my Zefal Husky floor pump to inflate these and they aired up as easily as a tube.
    As far as Stans, if you ride somewhere that most people have to use some kind of tire liner or slime to keep from constantly fixing flats, then Stans is probably a good idea. If flats are not much of a problem, then it is a whole lot less hassle not to mess with it. My bike came with Hutchison Scorpion USTs and they held air fine and I have not had a problem with the Conti Vert Pro USTs that I run now. I mainly ride my roadbike during the week and usually only get the time to go mountainbiking on the weekends. The Contis lose less air while sitting for a week than any tubed tire I have used. I do carry a spare tube and patch kit with me when riding. If you do flat, remove the valve stem and throw in a tube.
    I weigh 155Ibs and run 32 in front and 35 in back. The traction is unbelievable. As far as where to start for your weight, I would post that as seperate question. I am sure someone your size has some personal experience to pass along.
    I know and have ridden with people that have had problems with tubeless. I do not know what is different with what I am now using and what they used, but I have had no problems. Maybe UST tires were not as reliable as they are now? I hope you have as good as luck as I have had.

Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0