tubeless rims on 2014 specialized crave comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

tubeless rims on 2014 specialized crave comp

Okay so I have been wondering if a 2014 specialized crave comp came with tubeless rims or not? If they don't come with the rims then how much would some rims be for a 29er?

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    One of the things that people tend not to like about Specialized is that they will use their a lot of their own house branded parts. The "Crave SL Disc 29"" listed on the spec sheet as the rim for that bike is a good example. It might be a rim that goes tubeless reliably, or it might not. If it is...Yeah. If not, you'll waste a lot of time, money, and effort in a pursuit that will probably see you burping and crashing at what was already a very exciting part of the ride.

Your best bet is to go to the shop that sold it to you and see what they say. I would guess you're probably not the first person they've sold that rim to that has wanted to go tubeless. Kind of sucks though that you have to be a ginny pig.

Looking at the specs on the rest of the wheel....14g straight spokes, and Specialized HiLo hubs, that's not a wheel you'd want to spend a lot of time and money trying to make work.

If it were me, unless I got an "absolutely those will go tubeless, those rims are actually a re-branded XXXX (something with a good reputation for tubeless performance)" from the shop, I'd just continue to ride it with tubes and spend the next couple months hunting deals on a new wheel set or, better yet, the parts to build new wheels. Find a set of Hopes at 30% off, grab a couple of WTB Frequency or KOM rims on year end close out, and have measure the stuff, order the spokes and put it together for you. That's a much better solution.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    okay good info... thanks!

mtbr member
    I have the 2014 spec crave pro and love it the wheels were the easiest to set up tubeless. Literally use stans tape and get the sealant and valves and your good to go!

That said I am debating upgrading mine to Flow EX 29er wheels with Hope hubs. Looking for an overall better quality and wider wheel set.

You will have no problem making the 29 stout sl wheels tubeless. Very easy to do!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    okay thanks... how would you make 29 stout sl rims tubeless

mtbr member
    just tape them with the stans tape and add the valves and sealant and you are good to go!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    does it have to be stans tape of could it be a different brand

mtbr member
    i guess you could use a different brand. i used the stans tape though, and taped my rims then installed the two valves that come in the kit. then you start to put the tire on the rim and add the sealant then set the tire before inflating with an air compressor to set the bead fast. then spin the tire to evenly distribute the stans and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    okay thank you so much for your help now i wont be spending $300 on rims and tires!!!

mtbr member
    your stock rims and tires on the crave work great for tubeless! ive gotten a couple hundred miles on mine and it makes a world of difference.

Now i am looking to upgrade my wheelset from the stock wheels to a set of the Stans Flow EX 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    holding air? or do you have to inflate for every ride?