Tubeless ready?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tubeless ready?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Tubeless ready?

I just got a 2019 Roscoe 6 and the rims are this:

-Alex MD35, Tubeless Ready, 32-hole double-walled, tubeless rim strips included, valves sold separately

I got valves and sealant. I know on my wifes Marlin 6 I did Gorilla Tape on the rim and that worked well. However I just wanted to confirm that since these rims are supposably tubeless ready, all I need to do is take out the tube, put in a valve and add sealant. Thats it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It's not about being tubeless ready, but because rim strips are included that you don't need the gorilla tape.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    --------------
    2019 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    1999 Trek 8000 SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglyssRuns View Post
    It's not about being tubeless ready, but because rim strips are included that you don't need the gorilla tape.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    The wording is a bit dubious though. I just wanted to make sure "rim strips included" means that they are on the actual rims.. And not like they are included in the box that the bike was delivered with.....

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    The wording is a bit dubious though. I just wanted to make sure "rim strips included" means that they are on the actual rims.. And not like they are included in the box that the bike was delivered with.....

Pull your tires and tubes and look. If they're not in there, the LBS either gave them to you or owes them to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Pull your tires and tubes and look. If they're not in there, the LBS either gave them to you or owes them to you.
    I apologize for being a bit dense here, but I'm new to mountainbiking....

I purchased the bike used, so I dont have a LBS.

I know when I opened up my wife's Marlin, there was a rim strip already on there as well. I had to take that off and then put on Gorilla Tape. Those rims were not "tubeless ready"

So when I take the tire off, how will I know if the rim strip on there is a regular one or the ready-for-sealant one?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I apologize

No apologies necessary.

The tubeless strips look sort of fancy, especially right at the valve. Molded ribs and such.

If in doubt, take a pic and post it here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    No apologies necessary.

The tubeless strips look sort of fancy, especially right at the valve. Molded ribs and such.

If in doubt, take a pic and post it here.
    Well I did the conversion yesterday and have a few comments.

1. The tubeless strip WAS already on there. It's easy to tell that it's a tubeless strip because it looks "waterproof", versus the one on the Marlin was not.

2. The tubeless strip that was already on there was JUNK. I'm not sure if the strip was jump or just the quality of work at the factory was junk. But it was lifting everywhere, had bubbles everywhere, and they plastered it right over the other rim stickers even when the sticker landed on the rim strips edge. I ripped it off and replaced it with Gorilla Tape. Much better.

3. This tire was SO hard to both get off and get on. I've taken tires off a few different rims now and usually it's relatively easy. This was something else. It took the majority of the time. The first time took like 30 minutes just to break the bead off the rim and another 30 min of working with it to get it sealed off. I learned some tricks along the way and second tire went faster. But still extremely hard. The tire is so tight that after converting it to tubeless, there was literally NO sealant that spilled out the bead ANYWHERE. The next day, still nothing anywhere. When I did the marlin, there was sealant seeping out everywhere at first.

So I guess the good part is it's unlikely this these tires are getting burped on trail lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    timeline,
    you said you went tubeless on your wifes marlin 6? What year is it? What size/brand tire did you use? I got my daughter a 2020 marlin 6 and want to convert it to tubeless and bump up tire size a bit, the wtb factory tires are junk for our conditions, she has crashed several times from loosing the front end in corners. I have recieved different answers on just how big I can run on the 20mm rims. I have a set or recons in 27.5x2.6 off my bike that are brand new but not sure how well they will work. Have been waiting to jump to 27.5x2.8 on my bike. I know the 2020 has more room on chainstays than earlier years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Riding Dad View Post
    timeline,
    you said you went tubeless on your wifes marlin 6? What year is it? What size/brand tire did you use? I got my daughter a 2020 marlin 6 and want to convert it to tubeless and bump up tire size a bit, the wtb factory tires are junk for our conditions, she has crashed several times from loosing the front end in corners. I have recieved different answers on just how big I can run on the 20mm rims. I have a set or recons in 27.5x2.6 off my bike that are brand new but not sure how well they will work. Have been waiting to jump to 27.5x2.8 on my bike. I know the 2020 has more room on chainstays than earlier years.
    My wife's Marlin 6 is a 2019. I used the stock tires that came on it and they work just fine tubeless. So unfortunately I cant help you with a new tire selection. My wife has never had issues this far with them, BUT she rides very conservatively so that might not be a testament to much. We went through some very cactus infested areas this week and everything stayed sealed.