Tubeless conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Upset Tubeless conversion

Hi,
    I just bought a standard kit for MTB. I'm trying to install the Maxxis High Roller II 26x2.4 front (tubeless ready) and 26x2.3 Maxxiss High Roller II in the rear (not tubeless ready). I put 2 layers of yellow tape and got the rim strip set properly. Both tires got on without a lever. The rims I have are ALL TERRA AT17 HP Disc (you can look up the specs if you type in GT SENSOR 3.0 2012 in google. This is the actual bike I have). I cannot get the tire inflated. It's leaking air all over the place. I have tried the gas station compressor but it did not work. Do you have any tips for this particular rim. Do I need more pressure power to initially seal the tire? Or do I need additional layer of tape to seat it higher. The rim is actually 19 mm,not 21.5mm which is recomended by Stan's.Please respond as soon as you can. I shelled out $200 and am stuck with no wheels. Need to hit the trails ASAP Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The kit is Stan's no tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Gas station "compressors" are just pumps with no reservoir. They only do about what your arms can do with a good floor pump, but without tiring at least until the coins run out.

I'd try to find a buddy with an actual air compressor.

Alternatively, hang it by the rim so the tires hangs naturally, soap it up good, and pump like crazy while someone else pats around the tread in all the areas air is gushing out. If you can take the valve core out, that will help too. If it starts to close up at all DON'T stop.

I've only ran into one tire/rim combo I couldn't get seated like that...not that it's the fun way to do it.

mtbr member
    There are, generally, four ways to seat a tubeless tire.

1. (Most difficult): Use a floor pump and follow all the tips online. Soapy water, valve core removal, etc. My very first time with tubeless, I mounted a brand new tire on a brand new Crest rim and it seated with about 10 pumps. I thought "This is soooo easy!" It was never that easy again.

2. Use a compressor. This takes away the work above as you can seal almost any tire with minimal effort. Note, though, that it's not really the COMPRESSOR that makes the tire seal, but the air reservoir. A big, higher pressure reservoir will work wonders. That said, a compressor with NO reservoir, like those little cigarette lighter powered tire inflators, won't work at all.

3. Just buy a reservoir (air tank). You can buy an air tank and fill it at a gas station. Bring it home and it will seat loads of tires for you before you have to refill. I've never tried this but many say it's the easiest and cheapest solution.

4. Buy this pump: TLR Flash Charger - | Bontrager It's a floor pump with a reservoir you can charge and release. I have read that most are getting great results with this. And it's portable.

BONUS OPTION: Use a CO2 to seat the tire. This is the method I usually use but I don't recommend it. CO2 makes the sealant set up so you have to use the CO2 to seat the tire, deflate it, and then add sealant before reinflating with air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I had a tire that I needed to tube for a day to get it to seal. Basically, it shapes the tire to the rim.
    Other than that, I have not had any trouble getting a tire to bead up tubeless, pulling the valve core, and using a compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks. I'll have my boy come tomorrow with a compressor, so i can finally get going. Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks bro,
    I had a feeling I wasn't getting enough kick. I'll let u know how it turned out. Appreciate the feedback. I'll certainly sleep much better tonight. Lol

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks man. Will do, i had a feeling it didn't have enough juice. I needed just a little bit more push. Appreciate the feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am looking to buy gt sensor 2012 with those rims this afternoon. Did it work? I can't afford the bike if then I have to buy new rims to make it tubeless. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah compressor did the trick. Tubeless and happy:-). Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah it worked go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nice. Then I am pulling the trigger. Thanks for the help and it was a beauty how Google pulled this thread up when I typed the rim model and the word tubeless. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Been riding the gt, for the last 3 yrs, its neat. U'll like it. Look into some sealant comments about mixing in pepper, and other weird shit to help with sealing larger cracks. There are many homemade "recipes" on mtbr. Take care bru.