tubeless conversion???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    buy the stans kit! 64.99
    I just did a ghetto (gorilla tape $4.89) conversion and the air seems to be holding just fine now. I used geax tnt aka tires and made my own tubeless valves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Why am I 1st on this thread? Digglesworth stated it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

tubeless conversion???

im sure this is a topic that is covered a lot.... i have a set of mavic crossride disc wheels on my trance x... i have been running panaracer fire xc pros forever set at around 40psi.... and ive had trouble with the sidewalls ripping. i have made sure the last few sets ive bought have been the japanese versions with the higher tpi rating..... but i still am plagued with flats... it goes in waves.... i may not get any for weeks or even a few months then ill get like 3 in a week.... id like to go tubeless. what is all needed to do the conversion right... no ghetto setups. i wanna do it right but i dont have the cash to buy a set of tubeless rims at the moment... and what will i have to sacrifice as far as added weight. id appreciate a little advice as to the proper setup....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i just went to the stans website and checked out the kit and watched the video.... looks like the ticket for me.... do i need tubeless specific tires though....???

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    the out-of-order reply fomat is a little bizarre to me too......

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    just ordered the stans kit from treefort...... it was $55 with their awesome pricematch thing they got going on. grabbed some 127tpi fire xc pros too..... was torn between the fires and the maxxis ignitors. but i really love the fancy red and black look of the fires... the set i have on right now is fairly new so ill keep them for backup tires and mount the new ones with the stans kit..... i hope this solves all my problems.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    cool sounds like you got a good deal! Its best to use tubeless ready tires or a tire that has a tight fitting bead so you dont have any burping. I am pretty new to the whole converting to tubeless thing, i am just tellin you what others on this site have told me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ill have to keep that in mind. ive kept reading everywhere that one of the major benefits of the stans kit is that you dont need tubeless specific tires but a tighter bead makes perfect sense so we shall see how this all works out... maybe ill actually get a pint glass with my order from treefort this time.... lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    cool, keep me updated on your conversion! The pint glass would be cool, everyone can use a few of those.
    maybe ill pick up a stans kit for my 29er. i only went with tubeless ready tires because of the thicker sidewall and tubeless bead.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digglesworth
    i just went to the stans website and checked out the kit and watched the video.... looks like the ticket for me.... do i need tubeless specific tires though....???
    If you run tubeless specific (UST) tires, or any tire with UST spec bead (known as TLR or TNT), you don't need the rimstrip, just tape, valve, and sealant.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Members who have read this thread: 0