tubeless compatible rims that aren't- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

tubeless compatible rims that aren't

I have a 2020 Marin Rift Zone 2. Marin's spec for the rims says they are tubeless compatible. I'm trying to convert them to tubeless (I have Maxxis tubeless compatible tires also) but after getting the tire seated and then reinstalling the valve core to make sure it would hold air, I have a leak at the valve stem. After taking it back apart it seems like the rubber seal on the valve stem doesn't actually seat all the way into the rim at all. Isn't it supposed to? I can't see how it would seal at all with the way it is currently.

Also, the valves I'm using are WTB, and I didn't retape the rim because it looked like it was already taped better than I could do.

mtbr member
    pics of the tape and pics of the valve installed, please.

I am curious to know what kind of tape is on there. it's possible that the rims can be converted to tubeless, but they didn't put tubeless tape on it. unlikely, and dumb, but possible.

I don't know what the profile of that rim looks like. maybe you need a different shape for the valve to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here's a pic of the rim/tape. I can get one of the stem installed later, but essentially it doesn't sit down into the hole at all and seems kind of loose. Almost like the hole is too small.tubeless compatible rims that aren't-qwr9xs1.jpg

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vegen View Post
    Here's a pic of the rim/tape. I can get one of the stem installed later, but essentially it doesn't sit down into the hole at all and seems kind of loose. Almost like the hole is too small.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qwR9XS1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1338501
    It's hard to tell your problem, but I think I see one factor that might be relevant.

When I tape a rim, I use a utility knife to cut a cross in the tape at the valve stem hole. Them I push the valve stem into the hole, so the extra tape gets pushed in, helps fill the space, and helps fill gaps.

But, like mack_turtle referred to, the shape of the rim channel and the seal of the valve base need to conform to each other to create a seal.

Your rims have a curvature to the inside wall. A valve core with a flat base like these won't seal.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Roval-Tubeless-Valves

Those will work great if the inner wall of the rim is flat, but not with a curve.

Something like these will work with what you have, because the base is conical and fills up any gaps with the hole in the rim.

https://www.amazon.com/Stans-NoTubes.../dp/B00A3FYPG2

Something like these has a curve to fit some rims.

https://www.amaincycling.com/giant-t...000068/p333835

Some valves give you an o-ring for flat rim profiles and a curved shim for curved rims. I use e thirteen valves on one bike with the curved bit and they seal well.

https://www.ethirteen.com/products/tubeless-valve

mtbr member
    is that tape truly glued on, or is it s strip that's held on by tension?

I like to push in on the valve while I am snugging down the valve nut. that way the nut is not doing all the work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I will try to get some better pics in a couple hours. That was just one that I happened to have on my phone. However the tape is cut out to the exact size of the hole (the bike came with tubes installed).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's definitely tape, not a strip. I did try what you are saying but it seemed like I would have to pound it with a hammer to get the rubber to interface with the valve hole, if that makes sense, and I didn't think that would be a good idea.

mtbr member
    these valves? https://www.wtb.com/products/tcs-tubeless-valve-stems

the tapered rubber on that should only barely start to fit into the rim hole when you push it in. the rubber should squish and fill the gaps. some people resort to wrapping the valve in plumber's tape (teflon tape) to improve the seal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, those are the ones. The rubber doesn't get all the way to the rim, I think you will be able to see what I mean on the one photo. The one with the bigger gap was with the valve slightly loose.

tubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0016.jpgtubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0018.jpgtubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0019-copy.jpgtubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0020-copy.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0017.jpg  

tubeless compatible rims that aren't-img_0019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wanted to post an update on this, after sending an email to Marin and having Stan's valves suggested to me, I picked up a pair, and at least initially, they are working perfectly.