mtbr member

Tube tire on tubeless rim difficult dismount

Hello, a few months ago I installed a WTB 57-622 TRAIL BOSS (29 X 2.4) tube tire on a Frequencey i25 tubeless ready rim 622 x 25c. It originally came with Nano tires.
    I didnt think too much about it but I had a flat a few days ago and could not get that tire off. I had to use a vise to squeeze the tire and small screw drivers to break the bead off the rim. Not a good experience and really fortunate that it was at home.
    I did use baby power to smooth in the tube install and dish w/ water mixture to seat the tire when I installed to minimize side to side tire wobble and bounce. Did that about 3 times and every time increase tire pressure to get that part right. It was perfect.
    I am wondering if maybe the baby power and or dish detergent mixture somewhat glued the bead to the rim. As for proper tire and rim size: I think I got that part correct. Any ideas? I certainly am not putting on the tire again. Best I purchase a tubeless tire to put on that tube less rim. However I am still using tubes. Always something new to learn here. Thanks.
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by popsjr View Post
    Any ideas?

Not sure what all you did but it's real important to first make sure the bead is completely broken all the way around the rim on both sides and then work the beads until they're both in the center channel of the rim before attempting to peel one side off.

A few minutes of pre-dismount tire massage make a huge difference. I'm not sure that you necessarily need a tubeless tire, some tires are just a lot tighter than others regardless of the type.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I just put the original Nano tubeless tire back on. Didnt have any trouble taking that one off the spare bike. I guess being the same size the Trail boss is tighter to install and surely to take off. I will just have to take it off another day (both bikes) and see if I have any issues. Again thanks for the info. Like I said I have never had an issue taking a tire off once the bead is broken but now I have bikes with tubeless and tube rims and tube and tubeless tires - so I am mixing things up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    One way to ease the process is to ensure both beads are in the middle of the rim channel...My DT Swiss M462 has a groove in the middle of the rim. Unless I have both beads move to the center of the rim, it is almost impossible to mount and dismount my Schwalbe Rapid Rob...I know Rapid Rob isn't tubeless compatible but it is sure hell hard to dismount and mount it on my DT Swiss rim.

mtbr member
    Just confirmed that the WTB Trail Boss 2.4 tire is a TCS tire already. So from this I gather I should of had no issues to dismount from a TCS rim. Now I got some thinking to do and what happened. Dismounted in temps 40 to 50. I dont think that would be an issue but something to consider. I did pressure up to 65 psi or so to seat tires.Maybe that locked in the bead very tight against the rim. Somehow I will figure this out. Though the bead did look different from the NANO TCS tire.

2x is underrated
    I had a very similar experience with 26 x 2.8 WTB Ranger on a WTB i25 rim. It was absolutely horrible, with or without a tube. When I finally got the WTB off and put a 26 x 2.8 Maxxis DHF on the same rim, it fit fine in just a few minutes, just like any other tire. It was the tire, NOT the rim. I think that some WTB tires are defective or something. The center tire line was off about one centimeter to the left, which leads me to believe that the casing and bead was also off and one tire side was longer than the other. It took over an hour to take the tire off the rim, I even got to the point of using a Ginsu knife to try and slice open the bead off the rim, I didn't even care if I ruined the tire at that point. I'll never buy a WTB tire again. Maxxis all the way.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

since 4/10/2009
    Look, man. some tires are tight, especially on some rims.

You don't sound like you've wrestled with 90's Araya rims anytime recently. After working in a shop for a number of years, it takes a really monstrous tire/rim combo to force me to pull out tools to remove it. But I still do have to do that sometimes.

Screwdrivers are bad news to use in tire removals. You're bound to damage the tire, tube, or the rim in the process. Maybe all of the above.

mtbr member
    Yeah. With some tubeless rims and tires, I've had a tough time getting the beads to break free from being seated. Sometimes it'd take two of us squeezing the tire bead to bead by hand..sometimes I'd lay the wheel on it's side and step on the tire near the bead. There was at least one time I grabbed the tire in a vice, put a piece of wood under one side of the rim, and levered the wheel to get the tire to unseat.

I guess the bright side is it's a lot less likely to burp a tire when it's this tight.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Maybe I will take a look at Maxxis tires. I was surprised that the WTB Trail Boss is also TCS ready so I should of never had a problem. Need to figure out why? I dont want to get stuck on the trail with a flat tire that wont inflate and not be able to take the tire off for a tube swap out.

mtbr member
    Yup. never had this problem and I dont swap tires from the bikes too often. Only this time around and well could not get off for a flat repair. I put it back on my Diamond Back which were not original Trail Boss tire. For now its back to standard Nano Tires on the Motobecane. Just want to get a little wider and meatier tire on it but will probably try Maxxis. Just living and learning day by day.

mtbpete
    Just in case you don't already make sure your rim has one layer of tubeless rim tape on the it instead of a rim strips. Rim strips are thicker and make mounting tires more difficult.