True but not round?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

True but not round?

I got a used 8500 and the wheels seem to be pretty true but not quite round. It's close and I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehole but is there anything that can be done about this?

mtbr member

Probably ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Grond
    I got a used 8500 and the wheels seem to be pretty true but not quite round. It's close and I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehole but is there anything that can be done about this?
    It's hard to tell without actually seeing the wheel, but if you have a small flat spot or "hop" in the rim, it's not a big deal. Get the wheel as laterally true as you can, and you probably won't notice anything riding it. An experienced wheel-builder might be able to make it a bit better, but in my experience building/truing wheels, once the rim is out of round, there isn't anything you can do but replace the rim.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    about the only time you ever see perfectly radial true wheels is when its a rim from a maker with high tolerances (mavic for example) and the builder got amazingly lucky on even tensions on the spokes. Problem is like you said, once it starts going out you're not likely ever going to get it back to as radially true as it started at.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Feb 2004

Radial true is easily repaired

If your wheel is not damaged, that is. I don't know who everyone else is getting their wheels from, but NO NEW WHEEL SHOULD BE PURCHASED WITHOUT BEING TRUED (BOTH LATERALLY AND RADIALLY). If your LBS doesn't at least check them before sending you on your merry way with a new wheel, get a new LBS. If you buy your wheels from an online parts house (Performance, Jenson, etc) take them to your LBS and pay for a truing. Part of the reason for that is shipping. Especially UPS. As for a wheel that's been on the ground for a while, get them trued regularly(if you can't do it properly yourself). One of the signs of a wheel that should be replaced is that it can't be brought back to decent tolerances of true.

Your wheel does need to be radially true as well as laterally to have your brakes work well, to roll efficiently, and to be as strong as it can be. If it's not true in both "planes", then the spoke tensions will be way off balance and the wheel will be weak. Again, if it can't be brought back to true, replace it (see the note at the top about new wheels).

Happy Trails,
    Bob