mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Trail tire recommendations- 27.5 x 2.6 Sandy, flat riding.

Iíve been reading lots of reviews here trying to decide on tires for my Trek Roscoe. I recently bought a set of carbon rims 30mm internal width that I plan on running 2.6 tires on. This bike is used primarily in our local trails in south jersey. The terrain is primarily sandy with some roots and log overs. Sections are harder pack and have leaf cover and it is pretty flat so no major climbing. The reason for the new wheels was to lighten the rolling mass. Currently the bike is on 2.8 Rocket Ronís on 36mm id wheels which work well. I also have a FS bike with a more aggressive tread for when we get north or into Pa with more rocky terrain.

Since many of the reviews Iíve read are older and new tires are being added all the time I thought Iíd pose the question. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

On on my list so far:
    bontrager xr2
    maxxis recon
    schwable Rocket Ron

Barely in control
    Vittoria Barzo

mtbr member
    I'd think you'd want the widest high volume tire you could fit in the frame to ride on sand so you don't sink in. The narrower the tire the deeper you're going to sink in the sand. Super low pressure, within reason, will also help in sand. For a 2.6 you might try a Rekon.

mtbr member

Trail tire recommendations- 27.5 x 2.6 Sandy, flat riding.

I thought Rosco fit a 2.8. Plenty of bontrager options now. Xr4 front 2.8 and then your choice rear xr4 xr3. I think there is a 2.6 xr2 Iím not sure so you could do xr3 front xr2 rear if the above is too aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I was looking for the 2.6 tires to get something lighter than the current 2.8's. Most of my riding is on packed trails with sand and even with my 2.4's on my other bike I'm not sinking in. My main focus in limiting weight and improving rolling resistance so when I ride for distance I am improving efficiency.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The difference in weight between a 2.6 and 2.8 Rocket Ron is tiny, I'd just run the 2.8 on the 30mm rims if you're on sandy trails. I've had both 2.8 and 2.6 mounted at the same time on 29mm rims, the 2.8 definitely floated on sand better. And on soft/sandy trails, there's very little chance of being able to push into the corner hard and get too much tyre roll unless you're riding extremely varied trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phreeky View Post
    The difference in weight between a 2.6 and 2.8 Rocket Ron is tiny, I'd just run the 2.8 on the 30mm rims if you're on sandy trails. I've had both 2.8 and 2.6 mounted at the same time on 29mm rims, the 2.8 definitely floated on sand better. And on soft/sandy trails, there's very little chance of being able to push into the corner hard and get too much tyre roll unless you're riding extremely varied trails.
    Good observation - Checking their site there is only a 50 gram difference. I'm happy with these tires but also don't have a wide range of experience with other tires and I am willing to give something else a chance.

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR2.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You're going to really regret giving up your plus tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could go with 40mm rim wheels for a 2.6 XR. More for a 2.8. That allows you to run lower pressures for a bigger footprint and more traction. By going with a 30mm you can run the 2.35 or even a 2.2 XR2. The wider tires on a 30 need more pressure to avoid a squirmy response.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    You're going to really regret giving up your plus tires.

Can't he switch out wheelsets?

Plus wheelset for chunkier stuff, voluminous wheelset for more flowing stuff?

Although I do have to admit my 2.8 does a lot better on sand than my 2.5.
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You could go with 40mm rim wheels for a 2.6 XR. More for a 2.8. That allows you to run lower pressures for a bigger footprint and more traction. By going with a 30mm you can run the 2.35 or even a 2.2 XR2. The wider tires on a 30 need more pressure to avoid a squirmy response.

eb are you sure about this? A lot of people on here have complained that they put a relatively skinny (as in non-plus) tire on a wide rim, and the side knobs point up, and the tire wears out 2-3 times as fast. A couple of guys posted a picture of it, I should have copied it, looks very convincing for something not to do.

Do you have any literature about a 2.6 tire on a 40mm rim? Sorry to play Devil's advocate, but I hear a lot more people complaining about too wide of a rim for a tire than too narrow.

https://bikerumor.com/2016/08/12/tec...-best-results/

"The basics are that if you run a rim that is too wide for a particular tire you have a lot more issues with tire and rim damage, as the rim is much more likely to bottom out on lateral rock impacts causing tire or rim damage."
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    eb are you sure about this? A lot of people on here have complained that they put a relatively skinny (as in non-plus) tire on a wide rim, and the side knobs point up, and the tire wears out 2-3 times as fast. A couple of guys posted a picture of it, I should have copied it, looks very convincing for something not to do.

Do you have any literature about a 2.6 tire on a 40mm rim? Sorry to play Devil's advocate, but I hear a lot more people complaining about too wide of a rim for a tire than too narrow.

https://bikerumor.com/2016/08/12/tec...-best-results/

"The basics are that if you run a rim that is too wide for a particular tire you have a lot more issues with tire and rim damage, as the rim is much more likely to bottom out on lateral rock impacts causing tire or rim damage."
    You've got a point.

eb does, too, but only to an extent. Sure, if this was a fatbike and only used on soft surfaces, then go as wide as possible (both rim and tire).

But for a mtb that's used on trails, I WANT a rounder profile to my tires (even at the expense of some volume/flotation) for better cornering. According to OP, he does fine on 2.4's on another bike, which tells me that flotation isn't needed so much. Assuming the trail isn't terribly chunky otherwise, pretty much any tire with medium-sized knobs will work. I think more of the question should be how consolidated are these sandy trails? Is this a situation where corners get loose and you have a tendency to slide out? If so, then you'll want better side knobs, I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Can't he switch out wheelsets?

Plus wheelset for chunkier stuff, voluminous wheelset for more flowing stuff?

Although I do have to admit my 2.8 does a lot better on sand than my 2.5.
    I've ridden the same bike with 2.5s and 2.8s. The difference is like night and day, and the 2.8s aren't slower, for me.