Tires in the snow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tires in the snow

Well I went out with the 29er Saturday in about 4-5" of snow. Rolling in and around tire tracks or footprints I found it pretty damn hard to maintain a line. My front wheel was just getting pushed to the side pretty easily. I was rolling on a set of Rocket Rons 2.10". I ran a Captain Control up front on my 26er last year and thought that worked pretty well. Maybe the snow was just too much.

What tire have you found that you liked in the snow? I was thinking the Captain might be better in comparison as it has that line of side knobs.

We just got a lil more snow tonight, kinda wished I had tomorrow off!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was out last weekend on my 29er in the snow and it was tough going. I had a Nobby Nic in the back with pressure at about 20psi and it was pretty solid. The tire was a 2.25 and had I had a 2.4 I would have used it. I think with a 29er nothing is going to be as good as a fat bike in the snow but the wider you can go the better and something that will shed the snow. On the front I had a WTB that is pretty aggressive but it was not as good as the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. I plan to stop by the bike shop and get the widest 29er tire they have before the end of the week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You got to wait til the snow compacts a bit more or get a fat bike. Can't ride a regular mtb through fluffy snow and expect it to not wonder

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Well I went out with the 29er Saturday in about 4-5" of snow. Rolling in and around tire tracks or footprints I found it pretty damn hard to maintain a line. My front wheel was just getting pushed to the side pretty easily. I was rolling on a set of Rocket Rons 2.10". I ran a Captain Control up front on my 26er last year and thought that worked pretty well. Maybe the snow was just too much.

What tire have you found that you liked in the snow? I was thinking the Captain might be better in comparison as it has that line of side knobs.

We just got a lil more snow tonight, kinda wished I had tomorrow off!
    Let the front wander a bit...control the bike with your hips like you are riding a skinny.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    You got to wait til the snow compacts a bit more or get a fat bike. Can't ride a regular mtb through fluffy snow and expect it to not wonder
    I can ride light fluffy up to the BB on my old 26 inch bike.

nvphatty
    phats were its at. That said human power can only do so much then it's huck it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Alright i'm on the hunt for a larger casing front time. Looking to order one tonight if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I was out last weekend on my 29er in the snow and it was tough going. I had a Nobby Nic in the back with pressure at about 20psi and it was pretty solid. The tire was a 2.25 and had I had a 2.4 I would have used it. I think with a 29er nothing is going to be as good as a fat bike in the snow but the wider you can go the better and something that will shed the snow. On the front I had a WTB that is pretty aggressive but it was not as good as the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. I plan to stop by the bike shop and get the widest 29er tire they have before the end of the week.
    Did u get anything and how did that go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    phats were its at. That said human power can only do so much then it's huck it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Fat bikes.
    I would think twice about a fat bike. Not as capable as they may seem.

The Angry Singlespeeder: Fat Bikes. Meh. | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't need to really thrash it out in the snow, I just want to increase stability in the front end to make going a bit better. Whether a fatbike provides that or not I don't really know. If it does i'm not sure if the cost justifies that over what can be achieved on my 29er with different tires over my 2.1" Rocket Rons.

I've been thinking about Maxxis Minion DHF for front, or maybe a Trail King. I was liking the Minion as the center treads might prevent side to side movement more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I rode in 4 inches of snow the other day on my cross bike with 33c clement PDX's no problems, up some hills was hard needed to use my 34 - 30 but flat was totally fine. Makes me wonder sometimes how fat bikes really are in the snow.

Workin for the weekend!
    A deep lugged tire will hold a line in the snow. I'm on a set of 45NRTH Nicotines and the tread pattern kicks ass for moving through the snow. Studded or not, it's a fantastic tire for winter or sh!tty conditions...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In my limited experience with a 2.35" Hans Dampf front on my 29er, anything that my friend can ride on 4" On-One Floaters I can ride just as fast. In deep drifted snow and footprints where he is only able to ride half the time, I can ride the same parts and keep up or get a head and he seems to be the one getting more tired. More well packed trails ride fast just like dirt on either bike.

I'm sure there are snow conditions where the fat tires have the edge but from what I've seen some snow conditons are near unrideable either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was looking at the Hans Dampf and liked the tread pattern. It will probably be something I will try in the future. I ended up going with the Maxxis Minion 29 x 2.5" though. Hopefully I'll get it by the weekend so I can try it out.

mtbr member

If you're buying a new tire for winter...

Nokian Gazza Extremes 294 29x2.1. Not very wide, but super aggressive lugs that give great traction on packed snow and tons of studs to grip the ice. My opinion is if you're going to invest in tires for winter riding, get a winter tire. I ride all winter on our snow packed trails, but it is important that hikers have been through first and packed down any significant fresh snow. I've never tried a fat bike.
    Not me in the pick, just a stock photo from the website.
    Name:  obj889geo1009pg15p10.png
Views: 709
Size:  246.8 KB

Hooligan
    Maxxis WetScreams are hands down the best skinny tire ive ever ridden in the snow. when it gets icy I rock studs, but in the conditions that you are describing they aren't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I would think twice about a fat bike. Not as capable as they may seem
    on the contrary. far and away more capable than the standard mtb so you think twice while the rest of us ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    on the contrary. far and away more capable than the standard mtb so you think twice while the rest of us ride.
    I'm just going by what one of the columnist from this website wrote. Feel free to refute the statement with Mountain Bike Review / The Angry Singlespeeder

Church of the Wheel

Tires in the snow

+1 for Nokian studded tires. Made in Finland. They know a thing or two about snow and ice. If there was a tire manufacturer in Antarctica they'd probably be good too.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

Workin for the weekend!
    The Nokians offer very little float. Great for very hard packed snow or glare ice, but not very effective on anything else.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member

Re: Tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The Nokians offer very little float. Great for very hard packed snow or glare ice, but not very effective on anything else.
    I disagree, it doesn't float but rather cuts thru to a hard surface beneath for traction. Works great in all manner of loose snow and crud, until it's too deep and makes it too hard. Then some float would be great, but deep fresh snow is the exception for me rather than the norm. I rode in a couple inches of fresh snow tonight on top of frozen dirt and ice and they worked great.

EDIT:
    I wanted to rephrase my response. I concur that the Nokians offer little in the way of float. But float is not necessary if you're on a soft or loose surface with a hard surface beneath it. For the same reasons that narrow tires are appropriate for vehicle winter snow tires, a narrow winter bike tire will cut through the snow and find traction on the hard surface beneath. Cutting through the snow requires extra effort and that required effort increases as the depth of snow to cut through increases. If there is not a solid layer to cut down to for traction, then you're going to need to seek out a super wide tire that floats instead. My impression is that this is where a fat bike shines, but I have no experience.
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 01-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Church of the Wheel

Tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Get some snowshoes for fresh fluff.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

The White Jeff W

Quote Originally Posted by zink View Post
    In my limited experience with a 2.35" Hans Dampf front on my 29er, anything that my friend can ride on 4" On-One Floaters I can ride just as fast. In deep drifted snow and footprints where he is only able to ride half the time, I can ride the same parts and keep up or get a head and he seems to be the one getting more tired. More well packed trails ride fast just like dirt on either bike.

I'm sure there are snow conditions where the fat tires have the edge but from what I've seen some snow conditons are near unrideable either way.

Ill second the Hans Dampf. Excellent snow tire. I run them front & rear on my 650b bike and in front on my 29er with a Nobby Nic in back.
    No moss...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cusco View Post
    I'm just going by what one of the columnist from this website wrote. Feel free to refute the statement with Mountain Bike Review / The Angry Singlespeeder

and i'm just replying to your post as 1 of hundreds that will disagree with and refute those findings.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been passed by fat bikes with my Nokians in snow....and I have been passed by fat bikes in snow....

As always it depends on conditions...

When the narrow tire cuts down and makes contact with a consolidated layer and the fat bike floats on the loose stuff....the tire that cuts down wins....

If the narrow tire can't cut down to a consolidated layer the the fat tire that floats better will win....

Fat bikes are not always a win.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I have been passed by fat bikes with my Nokians in snow....and I have been passed by fat bikes in snow....

As always it depends on conditions...

When the narrow tire cuts down and makes contact with a consolidated layer and the fat bike floats on the loose stuff....the tire that cuts down wins....

If the narrow tire can't cut down to a consolidated layer then the fat tire that floats better will win....

Fat bikes are not always a win.
    yes conditions will dictate and no fattys are not always a win, however this is their home hence why the popularity grows ever stronger each year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yes conditions will dictate and no fattys are not always a win, however this is their home hence why the popularity grows ever stronger each year.
    No not a general statement....right now it is a bit of a fad.

Some area's will be realy good for them others areas won't just depends on the type of snow each area gets....and how the trails generally pack out...

Some will buy them then not use them much if conditions are normally not good for them.

nvphatty
    No not a general statement....right now it is a bit of a fad.
    on the contrary it's far beyond a fad but frankly thats what those that own and appreciate their prowess enjoy that those that aren't aware will continue to believe it's a fad..haha.

Some will buy them then not use them much if conditions are normally not good for them.
    fat bikes are being used widely for all season rigs with folks selling off or just letting their 29er sit whilst making the fatty the go to bike in the quiver. So to give you some perspective these bikes are do all rides on ST, dbl T, jeep and fire roads around the world make no mistake these are not just 'snow bikes' any longer. As suss forks come avail they are the ride of choice so hold on to your shorts when the mass full squish versions hit the trails cuz they will and are sooner than later.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    on the contrary it's far beyond a fad but frankly thats what those that own and appreciate their prowess enjoy that those that aren't aware will continue to believe it's a fad..haha.

fat bikes are being used widely for all season rigs with folks selling off or just letting their 29er sit whilst making the fatty the go to bike in the quiver. So to give you some perspective these bikes are do all rides on ST, dbl T, jeep and fire roads around the world make no mistake these are not just 'snow bikes' any longer. As suss forks come avail they are the ride of choice so hold on to your shorts when the mass full squish versions hit the trails cuz they will and are sooner than later.
    You are suggesting that a fat bike will always be used in the snow cause it is always better....No that is not true that is part of the fad...

Sometimes it will be better and sometimes it won't...

In areas with the wrong type of snow people will buy the fat bikes (cause of the fad) then stop using as much cause the other bikes work better more of the time.

In other areas the fat bikes will sork better than the other bikes in those areas people will continue to use the fat bikes....

The fad part of it is that fat bikes will always be better...

And yes I have passed fat bikes and been passed by fat bikes....around here conditions generally favour a 2.3 inch stud over a fat bike...there are times when the fat bike works better but those are not frequent....and really better suited to xc skiing than biking

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been using my first set of studded snow tires this year. Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26" x 2.0
    Marathon Winter HS 396 | Schwalbe North America

The work great on solid ice or hard packed snow and they roll nicely over dry pavement.

However, in deeper snow the non-studded 559 x 57 WTB Mutano Raptor tires that I was using worked better, as long as there wasn't ice or hardpacked snow underneath to slip on.

The Marathon Winter tire does NOT work well when the snow is the consistency of mashed potatoes over ice or hard packed snow. But when the temperature drops and the snow hardens a bit the Marathon winter starts working again.

My gut feeling is that for the mashed potato type of snow I need something like a Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro:
    Ice Spiker Pro HS 379 | Schwalbe North America

or a Nokian Extreme 294
    SUOMI TYRES

or a Nokian 300
    SUOMI TYRES

A deeper tread is needed for the studs to either reach down and grab something, or the tire float over the snow with the more aggressive tread gripping the snow a little better. A wider tires seems better to me.

Scott Novak

The White Jeff W

Interesting. I did a group ride New Years Day and the only guy struggling was on a Pugs. He was the first one to suggest we cut the ride short & head back.

That said, I still want one
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    +1 Fat bikes only provide advantages in a narrow window of riding conditions. Depending on the depth and type of snow fat bikes in many instances will be just as useless as a regular MTB and the notion that they cruise through deep snow (or mud for that matter) is fiction. Not saying that there are not times when a fat bike will have a distinct advantage over a regular bike but just that those times are a relatively small sliver of the riding conditions a typical MTB rider will encounter over the course of the year.

You are suggesting that a fat bike will always be used in the snow cause it is always better....No that is not true that is part of the fad...

Sometimes it will be better and sometimes it won't...

In areas with the wrong type of snow people will buy the fat bikes (cause of the fad) then stop using as much cause the other bikes work better more of the time.

In other areas the fat bikes will sork better than the other bikes in those areas people will continue to use the fat bikes....

The fad part of it is that fat bikes will always be better...

And yes I have passed fat bikes and been passed by fat bikes....around here conditions generally favour a 2.3 inch stud over a fat bike...there are times when the fat bike works better but those are not frequent....and really better suited to xc skiing than biking

I'm with stupid
    I agree. They are fad bikes not fat bikes. People just want to be different and ride fat bikes and drink PBR just make people say huh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Success!!

Got the Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 today, mounted it and went out for a test ride. Night and day difference. The Minion has way more grip and stability than the Rocket Ron 2.1. When it was sliding from side to side in much deeper stuff it was way more controllable. At one point I could feel the Rocket Ron in the rear slide around while the Minion up front was stable lol. Rocket Rons are terrible in the snow.

I also replaced the crappy Stans QR Skewers that came with my Arch EX wheelset with SRAM X9 ones. The Stans skewers always loosen up to where the wheels have play in them.

I thought the DHF could have been bigger though. I wonder what tire I could get that would be bigger? I could throw the DHF in the back as I want to ditch the Rocket Ron back there anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I'm out on day 2, 9.1 miles of urban riding. We got a couple more inches overnight. Today it's 33F with wetter snow, yesterday was I think 19F with much dryer snow. Still working well today. I can actually ride!! And I'm getting a good workout too.

Right now I'm still using a Rocket Ron in the rear. The original one I had in back was worn so I swapped the one that used to be up front and is nearly new in back and can tell it is working better.

I think I wanna try a Maxxis Wet Scream if I can score one on Prime. I think I'll put the DHF in the rear and try the Wet Scream up front for even more stability. My only concern is that the Wet Scream doesn't have a wall of side knobs like the Minion...not sure if that even matters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '17 Scott Speedster CX20
    12 Scott Foil Team

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    26 x 2.5 single-ply Nevegals are my winter tires. Aired down to about 20 psi they have been working great in all types of snow here so far.

Perpetual n00b

Tires in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Interesting. I did a group ride New Years Day and the only guy struggling was on a Pugs. He was the first one to suggest we cut the ride short & head back.

That said, I still want one
    Much more balanced discussion here than in the fat bike forum!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Ran HR2 rear DHF front 650b tonight in the snow and was just shocked at how well they hooked up! No qualms about running them at speed in snow (it's 20 deg here in OR so it wasn't even that wet snow that we usually see). I had a blast!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Bipolar roller

Singletrack in the snow

Not gonna help out the 29er's, but if you got a 26er and your looking for some snow tires check out these: Intense Tires Edge 26" MTB Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop I got them delivered yesterday, threw them on and went for a Tahoe (dry ) winter ride. Forgot how much fun low tire pressure in snow is. I had a blast!

Being that they are on sales for $14.99, 2.5", under 875g and tubeless compatible, I snatched up 2 and 2 other less aggressive intense tires at the same price with similar weight. Never ridden Intense tires before, but these are very similar to my 2.5"* Maxxis Minion DHR's, except they are actually 2.5" wide. These Intense tires have a medium rubber compound in the the middle and a soft compound on the side. The softer the rubber the better for the snow. I would prefer a super tacky compound all around for snow but...
    ...$60 for four 2.5" tires all under 900g each with medium/soft rubber compound... I am very excited.

Tires tracked great in a straight line and were under control in the turns. Your gonna slide in the snow no matter what tire, especially if your a clydesdale like me, but I was able to keep control and not slide out with these. Rear end digs in and I had very little traction loss while in the saddle. Overall, great tire for the snow if you don't need studs. Soft compound all around would make it better for the snow.

From yesterdays ride; here are the intense edge 2.5's on my lugged chromoly 970 Singletrack and a cleaned off pic of the aggressive tread pattern. On snow I run 15psi in the front and 20 psi in the back with tubes (for reference, I'm 6'4, 240lbs). Haven't gone tubeless yet, but soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires in the snow-trek-970-snow-2.5s.jpeg  

Tires in the snow-970-2.5s-snow.jpeg  

Tires in the snow-970-snow-trail.jpeg  

Tires in the snow-970-2.5s.jpeg  

Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Hooligan

Tires in the snow

That's awesome! Great deal and sweet bike. I really miss my old single track. I rode the thing everywhere, it was the perfect beater until I separated the top tube from the head tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice!!! Those tires are so cheap you could buy a 2nd pair and stud them yourself!

I did end up buying a Hans Dampf but it ended up being too big and rubbed on a chainstay when I put the power down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Figure i'd post a few photos of the Minion DHF in action: