Tires -- Flats?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tires -- Flats?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Tires -- Flats?

I started riding Nevegals on my new Yeti ASR and have flatted in 3 of my last 3 races here in northern New Jersey! One thru the sidewall and 2 thru the tread. Do you guys have similar problems or is it simply my bad luck? I used to ride Baros Marathons and didn't have so many flats.

What tire do you all like for wet climbing, speed, and few flats? IE: What's the perfect tire?

mtbr member
    IMO, the Nevegal is pretty slow for a race tire. And if you're flatting due to punctures, you may want to consider going tubeless w/ sealant.

The best advice for tire choice is to ask other racers in your area what they are running.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I weigh 175 and have been running 37.5 psi with Stans NoTubes. I will try reducing the pressure but on my last bike (Trek Fuel) and various tires the lower pressure felt like the sidewalls were folding over. Frankly I liked Barros Marathon Tubeless tires cause the sidewalls are beefier however I am also trying to keep the weight down. Like I said, I'm looking for the perfect tire / holy grail.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I've had 2 pinch flats on separate occasions, in the same exact spot of one of the trails I ride with my rear Kenda Nev 2.1 (DTC). My front is a 2.34 Nev DTC. The 2.1 really doesn't like being below 40psi (I've 38 with no issues, but seems anything lower is a pinch flat waiting to happen). I know the 2.1 is rated for 40psi min, but at the pressure, the traction isn't that great in looser conditions. I'm getting fed up with the Nev 2.1 - which otherwise is a great tire, other than it's propensity for flatting...

I'm thinking trying a Maxxis High Roller UST for the rear (and maybe a Minion DHF for the front... the trail version, not wire bead DH version)... Anyone know if a UST tire can be mounted to a Bontrager Race Disc tubeless ready rim? Or do UST tires need to mated to a true UST rim? I'd like to avoid strips/slime if possible.

thnx

Members who have read this thread: 0