tires for 75% road / 25% singletrack?- Mtbr.com
    Sublime Absurdity

New question here. tires for 75% road / 25% singletrack?

Singletrack is mostly wet rocks and roots, but I'd compromise more on the side of good road tire...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Feb 2004
    pity no-one's posted any advice on this thread as I'd be interested to hear some reccomendations on this too. I want a good tarmac commuting tyre with capability to nip offroad every now and then, though nothing too loose or muddy.

mtbr member
    The Geax Revert/Hubi is a good tire for road and smooth trails.I don't think it would be that great on roots though.

Jan 2004

Conti Town & Country

Quote Originally Posted by Al Heeley
    pity no-one's posted any advice on this thread as I'd be interested to hear some reccomendations on this too. I want a good tarmac commuting tyre with capability to nip offroad every now and then, though nothing too loose or muddy.
    I have no first hand experince with them. But I used to ride with a bunch of guys from Pacific Bicycles and they swore by them. They used them all the time in the back and ran a knobby up front. I don't think they would be good for the rocky, rooty stuff that sodade rides though. I don't even know if Continental makes them anymore. The terrain around here is mainly fast (some mildly rocky) singletrack. The dirt is hard to medium pack not much loose or deep mud.

Sublime Absurdity
    Yeah, the Geax Revert/Hubi looks like the perfect tire for my situation. Too bad I can't find them anywhere. I guess Geax stopped making them and they don't seem to make a newer version of it either. Why do these manufacturers insist on new stuff every year - do we consumers really demand that?

Anyway, can anyone recommend a comprable tire? I think that this semi-slick design ould work better for me than the conti T&C design...

Thanks for the responses...
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member

A couple of suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Yeah, the Geax Revert/Hubi looks like the perfect tire for my situation. Too bad I can't find them anywhere. I guess Geax stopped making them and they don't seem to make a newer version of it either. Why do these manufacturers insist on new stuff every year - do we consumers really demand that?

Anyway, can anyone recommend a comprable tire? I think that this semi-slick design ould work better for me than the conti T&C design...

Thanks for the responses...

A few other that would probably work out fine for you would be the Maxxis Wormdrive 430, http://www.maxxis.com/ , the IRC Fiesterra , and my favorite the RitcheySpeedmax semi-slick...

goodluck, Chad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A couple of suggestions:

1) WTB All Terrainesaraus 1.95- Roll well on pavement, suprisingly good off road.

2) WTB Nanorapter 2.1- I use these on my hardtail, which is also my nighttime pavement bike (since I am afraid of hitting things I can't see on my roadbike). Pumped up, they roll very well with their continuous center rib. The large volume keeps them well glued to the trail for hardpack and other dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nashbar is having a tire sale, and there are some that might work well for you.

jet 1.6 for $20 each
    nanoraptor $20
    sedona $17
    Mythos slick $15
    notos $10
    kenda kross plus $10
    kenda krisp $10
    hutchinson rock & road $15

performance has the jet-s 2.0 black for $20

pythons can be had for $20 each

lotsa inexpensive choices. might want to keep it less expensive, because pavement will chew tires up rapidly.

i can vouch for the sedona 2.0, python, jet 2.0. versatile and fast tires. the sedonas wear pretty fast. all are surprisingly good off road.

you might want to choose tougher tires to handle road hazards.

Bob

mtbr member

By far the best...

tire I`ve used is the Michelin " ROCK ". 26x1.75 / 700g. A little on the heavy side to be sure but they work so well. I`ve ridden a whole summer on these tires on and off road with no complaints.

The Jet S is another good tire for road/single track but the rock does a better job - and I`m not a Michelin representative!

The Conti Double Fighter semi-slick also does a nice job, with very little slippage over the rooty stuff. I`ve used all three but prefer the Rock. It feels more definite.

http://cycleus.webmichelin.com/tires/rock.htm

mtbr member
    I used Panaracer SS/SK tires before I switched to Reverts.I have no idea how they compare to what's out there today.
    You can't go wrong with Ritchey,Michelin or Continental tires.Check out their web sites and see what they have.
    Good luck.

OldTeen
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    Singletrack is mostly wet rocks and roots, but I'd compromise more on the side of good road tire...
    Late reply, but I have ridden IRC Mythos XC Slicks for a few months now for pavement and trail. Only a bit noisy on pavement, rolls well on hardpack, and is OK (not great of course) on other trail conditions. So far it's my favorite all-purpose tire.

Jul 2004
    Continental Traffic
    Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo
    Specialized Crossroads Armadillo

mtbr member

Maxxis Larsen Orriflamme

Jenson's got these in Kevlar Bead for $12 ea. I have a pair and enjoy them. I ride probably 80% pulling a trail-a-bike on the street and once and a while make it out to some singletrack. This suits my current riding habbits perfectly. They have less traction than a knobby, but the volume will make it comfortable over obstacles. I would consider these a wide 2.0. They look wider (more volume) than the $6 Hutchinson Mosquito 2.0's I ordered with them.

mtbr member

geax evolution

the Geax evolution is another one worth looking at, it is a little heavy, but will never wear out and is great for your use!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Continental Town and Country

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpedaler.com
    I have no first hand experince with them. But I used to ride with a bunch of guys from Pacific Bicycles and they swore by them. They used them all the time in the back and ran a knobby up front. I don't think they would be good for the rocky, rooty stuff that sodade rides though. I don't even know if Continental makes them anymore. The terrain around here is mainly fast (some mildly rocky) singletrack. The dirt is hard to medium pack not much loose or deep mud.
    I've ridden a set of these tires for about ten years and I love them. They'll work on dry, hard pack and great on the road but I don't think I'd like to use them on wet roots and rocks. You can still buy them at lots of stores.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Schwalbe Hurricane. Very fast rolling semi-slick with good side knobs that come into play in soft soil. I have a set of 2.1"s which work very well off road and are very fast rolling and extremely quiet on road. Just a great tire for conditions like you describe. Mine are on my "all-around" bike that sees more use than all my other bikes. They also made a smaller version, a 1.75", but apparently no longer do. I bought one on ebay but haven't used it yet.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/mtb.php...rricane_gx.jpg