mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Tire sounds and feels flat, but isn't?

On the last couple of rides my front tire has started to feel and sound like it's flat, but it's not, I checked with two gauges and no concerns there. Tire is a DHF 2.5 WT mounted to an I9 Enduro 305. At speed it sounds like a flag "thwacking" in the wind and there's an alarming lack of support in corners/landings.

I don't have the tools to properly check spoke tension but I'm guessing this is the culprit? I checked by hand and tightened a couple that seemed a little loose, but none that were clearly way out of whack.

Any thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    How old is the tire and how do the sidewalls look? As they are flexed repeatedly the sidewalls will wear out a bit and lose some stiffness, possibly showing threads and/or weepy sealant spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    How old is the tire and how do the sidewalls look? As they are flexed repeatedly the sidewalls will wear out a bit and lose some stiffness, possibly showing threads and/or weepy sealant spots.
    I hadn't thought about that, just checked and it looks like I mounted these up for the first time in April and they have ~750 miles on them. The side knobs are starting to look a bit raggedy but the center knobs look fine. I hadn't noticed anything obvious on the sidewalls but I'll check those in a moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    I hadn't thought about that, just checked and it looks like I mounted these up for the first time in April and they have ~750 miles on them. The side knobs are starting to look a bit raggedy but the center knobs look fine. I hadn't noticed anything obvious on the sidewalls but I'll check those in a moment.
    That doesn't sound like too many miles. It should be good I think.

On worn tires I can see much more sidewall wrinkles under compression compared to new tires at the same air pressure

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sounds like layer delamination to me...

mtbr member
    You say the tyre is inflated, but not to how much and how much you weigh. Have you gone around the tyre slowly and pushed at it to see if any area of the sidewall feels soft? Can you see a wobble when riding? Not sure if it has changed, but the last few i9 wheels I have come across included instructions that stated that they need to be checked and tensioned after a few rides, did you do that?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

EAT MORE GRIME
    I have some 2.2 tires in 26mm rims that feel flat when cornering on pavement. but I have the same tires on rims .5mm wider than OP and they feel fine. on the narrow rim they roll a little on hard cornering and it feels like a flat at time (not in dirt just pavement)

could just be the tire size and shape on the 30.5mm rim OP haz
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I check pressures with a digital gauge before each ride, I'm 160lbs and run 20psi consistently in the front wheel.

The issue I'm experiencing started suddenly, I've run this tire/rim/pressure combo for over 6 months and the noise/lack of support just kicked in on the last two rides. Prior to that I hadn't had any noticeable rim strikes or other issues.

Sidewalls look and feel consistent, but I did just notice a wobble when spinning the wheel, it's hard to tell but I think the wheel is out of true. Without a stand I think I need to get it down to the lbs at this point and at least investigate that first, then try mounting a different tire up and see if where things stand.

Nat
    mtbr member
    What happens if you ride it at 30psi? Any change in behavior?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    What happens if you ride it at 30psi? Any change in behavior?
    Half way through my last ride I put an additional 5psi in after riding a particularly rocky/steep section and being scared shitless by how it felt. With the extra pressure I felt like I had a little better support and wasn't smashing rocks as hard, but the noise was still noticeable.

mtbr member
    You may not have noticed when you had a hard hit and gave the wheel a good knock, most likely you landed slightly sideways and put lateral load on it and deformed the casing, sadly something that seems to happen fairly easily. To check if your wheel is true or not, just put a zip tie around the fork stanchion and cut it to reach the rim sidewall, then spin the wheel. I'm going to guess and say you'll find your wheel is still true and it's the tyre casing that's shot. You didn't say which casing it was the 120 TPI or 60 TPI?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    I check pressures with a digital gauge before each ride, I'm 160lbs and run 20psi consistently in the front wheel.

The issue I'm experiencing started suddenly, I've run this tire/rim/pressure combo for over 6 months and the noise/lack of support just kicked in on the last two rides. Prior to that I hadn't had any noticeable rim strikes or other issues.

Sidewalls look and feel consistent, but I did just notice a wobble when spinning the wheel, it's hard to tell but I think the wheel is out of true. Without a stand I think I need to get it down to the lbs at this point and at least investigate that first, then try mounting a different tire up and see if where things stand.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Has the spoke tension been checked?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This place needs an enema
    tubed or tubeless?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You don't need a tool to check spoke tension. Squeeze them in pairs -if any one (or more) is/are loose you will fee lit. Or tap each spoke with a screwdriver and listen for pitch changes. A flat sound indicates a looser spoke than a higher pitched sounding one.

Also, is the wheel tight? Are there wheel bearings getting worn out? Some of the sounds you describe could be the wheel loose banging and clunking or it could be a floppy wheel because of worn wheel bearings. I sort of lean towards this type of scenario if you say the noises were were worse with a higher inflated tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    You are hearing your jersey flapping in the wind wake you are leaving. You should ride naked to rule out a clothing or pack issue.

Are your sure it's the front tire? When riding sounds don't always come from where you think they are coming from. Have you checked the rear?

Your said it feels flat. Can you explain that in more detail?

Does that sounds change when cornering vs straight?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk