Tire recommendations - 29 x 2.4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Tire recommendations - 29 x 2.4

My tires are showing their age. Currently running Onza Ibex 2.4s and ideally I want something with similar grip (especially leaning the bike in turns) but a bit faster. Ride mostly XC and AM on hardpack dirt, fair amount of rocks, and a decent amount loose over hard / soft turns.

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Maxxis DHR2

mtbr member
    Iíve had a change of heart this riding season, and honestly think the minion dhf and aggressor combination is one of the best, if not the best combination ever for going down a hill at speed.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    Iíve had a change of heart this riding season, and honestly think the minion dhf and aggressor combination is one of the best, if not the best combination ever for going down a hill at speed.
    Do you like it better than a DHF/DHR2 combo? If so, why?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you have 35mm or even 30mm inner width rims I'd say Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35. Higher volume 120tpi casing/sidewall and rounded tread profile that works with wide rims and lower pressures for bigger footprint and more traction. Zero foldover because of sidewall support.
    Maybe a Nobby Nic on a skinny rim. But you can't go low pressure because of foldover.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Do you like it better than a DHF/DHR2 combo? If so, why?
    The aggressor rolls better than the DHR2, and corners really well. Since I have to get myself up the hill, I like it for that reason. Also really good braking traction.

mtbr member
    you have to favor one or the other. rocks do well with high volume, xc is all about low rolling resistance. loose over hard favors knobs

what width are your rims? the bontrager 2.4 xr4 works great on 25-ish mm id rims. starts to square off a bit by 30 which more traction but also more rolling resistance. nobby nic is also in this class.

the minion / aggressor combo is one of my favorite DH enduro combos but sizing is currently a bit wonky. the WT really works best on 29-30mm id + and the 2.3 works great on 23-25mm id. if you're inbetween neither is ideal. but the magic mary hans damf combo in 2.35 could be

what you weigh also is a consideration. if you're light you can get away with low psi much easier than someone at 200lbs who needs a 30psi tire.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf 2.35, best all around front trail tire going ^^ plus blows up to a true 2.4...

If you want more bite, the Magic Mary 2.35, is really magic ;-) best front tire I've used.

Out back, the 2.35 Michelin Wild AM (which blows up almost as big as an HD or MM) is a great rear option.

But, these tyres maybe overkill for you? Ardent 2.4's might suit your needs better...

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks all. Good options. Some more info - rims are 26mm ID and I'm 190lbs. I do like to run low pressure w/ tubeless - around 24 / 26 psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I tried bontrager xr3ís and then went to ardents...didnít like those at all...way too squirrelly in high speed corners....running continental mountain kings now and really like them for east coast singletrack (hardpack, some loose over hard, rocks and some roots)

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Hans Dampf 2.35, best all around front trail tire going ^^ plus blows up to a true 2.4...
    'Born to ride!'
    I won't argue. Super cushy. Rolls way better than it should. Grip is good but not stellar IMO, but breaks away progressively. Actually allows me to drift the front without dumping me on the ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I won't argue. Super cushy. Rolls way better than it should. Grip is good but not stellar IMO, but breaks away progressively. Actually allows me to drift the front without dumping me on the ground.
    Yeah, only thing the HD can't handle is mud.

Otherwise it's my dry seasons front tyre of choice (on my 29er AM HT)

I am currently running a 2.6 Gripton Butcher up front on the HT b/c it's better at self-cleaning.... unfortunately, it's narrower than the 2.35 HD o_0

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bontrager XR4 Teams are my favorite all arounders right now. Really good grip, light, durable. Great tire for the money...and the best for me at any cost that I have found.

mtbr member
    ^^^+1
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wound up going with a DHF/DHR. Seems like that's what a lot of people by me ride too. May swap out the DHR with an Aggressor if I want something faster, but my top priority now is for traction with reasonable weight

mtbr member
    It just depends on what you ride. I have a dhf Max Terra, aggressor dual compound 2.5 combo on my Enduro bike.

The xr4 is more of a trail- light AM -Cross Country Tire. It rolls considerably better and it's lighter but it also has less traction. I have a set of these on my fuel 9.9.

The only thing I would question is why you went with the DHR in dry weather. The aggressor will put that thing to shame in pretty much every category, even traction in everything except deep loose.

If you look at who's winning the world Enduro championship and running Maxxis most of them have switched over to the aggressor. It's just a faster Tire

If your area is anything like mine here in the Pacific Northwest a lot of guys really don't keep up on what is the best or the latest and greatest they just get used to what they have and recommend that. Occasionally you find someone who really tries everything and can give you objective feedback but it's pretty rare

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    It just depends on what you ride. I have a dhf Max Terra, aggressor dual compound 2.5 combo on my Enduro bike.

The xr4 is more of a trail- light AM -Cross Country Tire. It rolls considerably better and it's lighter but it also has less traction. I have a set of these on my fuel 9.9.

The only thing I would question is why you went with the DHR in dry weather. The aggressor will put that thing to shame in pretty much every category, even traction in everything except deep loose.

If you look at who's winning the world Enduro championship and running Maxxis most of them have switched over to the aggressor. It's just a faster Tire

If your area is anything like mine here in the Pacific Northwest a lot of guys really don't keep up on what is the best or the latest and greatest they just get used to what they have and recommend that. Occasionally you find someone who really tries everything and can give you objective feedback but it's pretty rare
    Sweet. DHF/Aggresor is now on my radar as well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post

I ride a decent in the wet too - maybe 20% of the time. Lots of slick roots and last time in the rain I really had to dial it in as I slid out on an off camber root. Based on the pictures the Aggressor's knobs seem small so I opted for more traction. But if I feel it's too slow, I'll pick up an Agressor. Both seem like great options.

mtbr member
    FWIW: Bigger knobs only offer more traction when there's something relatively soft for them to dig into. More smaller knobs, or even no knobs, may better on harder surfaces. On wet slippery rocks and roots, I find more small/medium knobs to work better than fewer large knobs. The obvious extreme example is dry hard surfaces like pavement, where slicks are best.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden them but Bonetraeger SE5/4 look damn good & will probably try a set. Guys I ride with that rip like them. Currently I run E-13 trs front (blows away dhf 2.5 imo) aggressor rear. I like the aggressor but the side lugs undercut really fast, & they squirm when riding hard. Would like something with stouter sidelugs as the aggressor that doesn't give anything up to it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Bontrager XR4 Teams are my favorite all arounders right now. Really good grip, light, durable. Great tire for the money...and the best for me at any cost that I have found.
    I bought some of these to try. 55.00 a pair on Ebay. I really like them I find them a bit skippy in rocky root terrain at pressures to keep rim strikes away. Just tried them with cushcore. I'm very impressed. Combo is still lighter than the minnions they replaced and a good tire ant any lean angle.

방랑외국인
    Anyone still running Onza Ibex's 29x2.4 FRC120 RC2's? I can get a set for around $55, whereas Bontrager XR4/XR3 set would be $130.

Onza Ibex ~ 65a/55a, 880g
    Bontrager XR4/XR3 ~ 61a/50a-780g, 62a/60a-755g

The Bontrager combo would save ~225g, but the Onza's are way cheaper.