Tire inserts with tubes (Nukeproof ARD/Cushcore/ etc.) ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New question here. Tire inserts with tubes (Nukeproof ARD/Cushcore/ etc.) ?

Hi all!

I'm a die hard tube guy (don't want to mess with sealant), and while I don't flat often (once every year or 2), I'd still like the added security of tire inserts. Looking at their shape, I'm thinking that the Nukeproof ARD or Cushcore could potentially work well with tubes, as opposed to Huck Norris or similar since those ones don't sit in the rim's bed much. I'm not interested by the Tannus since I feel that the thick foam underneath the tread would feel weird.

Does any of you run inserts with tubes ? If so, what's your experience ?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just picked up some Nukeproof ARD. I don't see how you could run 'em with tubes. I've switched over to tubeless and never going back to tubes unless it's to hobble back home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you aren't flatting tubes often, then you probably are a poor candidate for tire inserts to begin with in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    theoretically this could be done using a tube with a long valve stem that would go through the foam insert and sit between the tire tread and the insert. I have heard of people successFully doing this to ride out after a flat. I ride with this in the case I get a flat.

One issue I would see happening is that the tire bead may not seat properly with the tube not being up against the bead and rim.

I'm interested in your results if you give it a shot.
    RSD Ambassador

RSD Middlechild
    RSD The Mayor V4
    Giant TCX
    Giant TCR Advanced

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    If you want a combine a tube and an insert, the best option is the Tannus Armour since they are designed exactly for that purpose. Blister gave them a pretty positive review.

Tire inserts with tubes (Nukeproof ARD/Cushcore/ etc.) ?-armour-cross-section_1800x1800.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ARD stretch over time. It cause pinging sound on the rim. There a few YouTube videos that mentioned this issue.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    Hi all!

I'm a die hard tube guy (don't want to mess with sealant), and while I don't flat often (once every year or 2), I'd still like the added security of tire inserts. Looking at their shape, I'm thinking that the Nukeproof ARD or Cushcore could potentially work well with tubes, as opposed to Huck Norris or similar since those ones don't sit in the rim's bed much. I'm not interested by the Tannus since I feel that the thick foam underneath the tread would feel weird.

Does any of you run inserts with tubes ? If so, what's your experience ?

Thanks!
    Added protection against what exactly?

Rim inserts typically prevent pinch flats or rim damage (from what I know about them).

If you run an insert with a tube, the tube could still become pinched, just on/against the insert instead of the rim.

Inserts do not prevent punctures so that wouldn't be helpful if you want protection from thorns, etc.