Tioga Edge 22- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tioga Edge 22

Coffee Drinker

Tioga Edge 22

Anyone tried the new Tioga Edge 22 tire??

tioga

mtbr member
    Have you seen the reviews on Pinkbike and VitalMTB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I really want to try this tire but I can find no info. Can't even contact Tioga as they have no contact info on their website.

This tire seems like a really good fit for me.

I'd like to see the final weight on the 29er version and get one ordered ASAP as long as it's under 1000 grams.
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Coffee Drinker
    Yes, just looking for some real world experience. It's time for a new front tire and this looks interesting.

Coffee Drinker
    Well, first ride today. Not a real demanding ride but the tire feels really good. 27.5 x 2.5 on a Reserve 30mm rim. It liked about two psi less than the Minion DHF EXO it replaced. Tracks and brakes well and the transition is different than a Minion,,, it's good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Look forward to hearing more about this tire compared to whatever you were running before and eager to order one in a 29er for myself.
    Where did you buy it cause I only see them on E-bay?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Coffee Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Look forward to hearing more about this tire compared to whatever you were running before and eager to order one in a 29er for myself.
    Where did you buy it cause I only see them on E-bay?

Came from my LBS, ordered from J&B Distributors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The 29er version is 3 months out, per Tioga.

Chairman of the Beard
    The 29er version is 3 months out, per Tioga.
    Anyone heard anything more about the 29er version? I can't find any for sale anywhere.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    Anyone heard anything more about the 29er version? I can't find any for sale anywhere.
    Saw this comment on the Bike review, posted yesterday.

29 x 2.50 Edge 22 deliveries are slightly delayed due to current situation, but should be hitting retailers in a week or so. - Tioga USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    Saw this comment on the Bike review, posted yesterday.

29 x 2.50 Edge 22 deliveries are slightly delayed due to current situation, but should be hitting retailers in a week or so. - Tioga USA
    Just now read your post. Emailed Tioga USA yesterday about the 29er in the lighter sidewall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It's been a week or so. Anyone score a Edge 22 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I suspect CV has slowed this down. I too am eager to order one up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hitching a ride
    Rode my 27.5 yesterday. Works good. Has good washout characteristics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Rode my 27.5 yesterday. Works good. Has good washout characteristics.
    What's the rolling resistance feel like? Does that empty center channel make it at least feel like it rolls faster than say a DHF or Magic Mary?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    What's the rolling resistance feel like? Does that empty center channel make it at least feel like it rolls faster than say a DHF or Magic Mary?
    It rolls very well!
    Much better than the DHF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It rolls very well!
    Much better than the DHF.

I read some posts where you tried the 29er version Tioga made available to you (for some reason). Do you have any recent updates then from Tioga about when they're going to release the 29er version to the rest of us?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I read some posts where you tried the 29er version Tioga made available to you (for some reason). Do you have any recent updates then from Tioga about when they're going to release the 29er version to the rest of us?
    I lucked in to be a tester for some Tioga tires. CV has held up production but the batch of 29ers should be released rather soon. I'm eager to get one as well. The Pre-pro was very good, but for my application I'm excited to test the softer compound production version which I haven't ridden.

mtbr member
    ...any recent updates then from Tioga about when they're going to release the 29er version to the rest of us?
    This was their answer a couple of weeks ago- "The 29" Edge 22 was supposed to have been available in early April, but the pandemic threw a GIANT monkey wrench into our plans. Best we may offer is "any day now"--yes, we hate that answer."
    So... soon? I'm really interested in trying one out, especially since most of our trails just reopened.

Rider
    Check out the Pinkbike review on the Ryve posted today. Look at the front tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tioga sending emails announcing the 29x2.5 is available at a few US dealers. Didn't say which casing. WorldWideCyclery has them but not listed on website yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    blueskycycling.com has the 29 version, too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Is the edge 22 a faster rolling tire than dhf? Or better cornering?

mtbr member
    I don't see them in 29 at either. Anybody got a link?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    Is the edge 22 a faster rolling tire than dhf? Or better cornering?
    Going off 6 month old memory from a Pre-production trail compound version I rode, the E22 definitely is faster rolling than the DHF by a fair bit.
    I found the traction exceptional (as good as the DHF) at first but traction fell off for me with a bit of wear.
    If you expect to maintain DHF levels of traction for the full lifetime of the tire, I'd wait for the soft compound, which due to Corona has been delayed until late Summer.
    If you want a very fast rolling, yet still well working trail tire, can't go wrong with the standard compound E22 and it's at the top of that list for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LBS ordered me a 29x2.5. Should be here Wednesday? I'll put it up front on the Offering.
    After a few rides in varying conditions, both local (flow fast loose over hardpack) and in the trees, I'll give feedback. My garage has DHF, HRII, XR4, Assegai, and Dissector.
    Should be fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I look forward to the update.

I haven't found the 29er version online yet but I anticipate that it will be available soon.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a 29 x 2.5 from blueskycycling.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe most in this thread have seen my post in the 29er Components subforum on the finally-released Edge 22 29x2.5, but just in case someone hasn't, here it is: https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-compone...w-1142933.html

Wondering what the rear specific Edge 22 will be like? No idea how a center channel "gap" would roll in the rear. Is there a current 29 rear tire that doesn't have a center ridge and still rolls fast? Thinking I'll put a HR2 2.3 EXO dual compound in back.

Rider
    The only change I'd make for a rear E22 would be a harder compound in the center. It's already fast rolling and brakes awesome so what more can be gained?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Tioga will build a rear tire that is more like closely spaced blocks, just because this makes more sense for a rear tire.
    That said, I'm certain they will put a unique, yet highly functional twist on the Agarro/ Hans Dampf/ Aggressor/ Breakout formula that works so well for most riders.

Rider
    They do have the Glide G3 series. I have a 2.6 but the knobs are only 3mm tall. Kinda limits it in the front.

mtbr member
    Mine weighs 1030grams. A bit heavier than I have would have liked, especially considering that I've been fairly happy with a Hellcat up front.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Cross post:

Another quick initial review:

Some measurements

I installed the 29 x 2.5 Edge 22 about 2.5 days ago. Before I rode the tire, I left it at 40 psi overnight. At 22 psi on a 30 mm inner width carbon rim (Derby), the current tread width is @ 2.43" and the casing width is @ 2.33". For comparison, I measured my 3 month-old 2.5 DHF EXO at 22 psi on a 30 mm inner width carbon rim (Specialized). The current tread casing width is @2.53" and the casing width is @2.41". Visually, the DHF appears to be the higher volume tire. I don't have an accurate scale, so I did not weight the tire.

Some background info:

I live and ride in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Typical trail conditions include rock, loose sand, and loose over hardpack. I am a moderately aggressive trail rider that never spends time in a bike park. I am also relatively easy on tires.

I have been using a 2.4 Vittoria Goma on my Ibis Ripley v4 with the 30 mm inner width Derby rim for the past 1.5 seasons. I have been using the current 2.5 DHF on my Ripmo v1 with 30 mm inner width Specialized for the past 3 months. I have been using front tires with a distinct channel/no transition knobs (i/e/ tires listed above plus e13 TRS tires) between the center and corner knobs for quite a few years. I really like a "locked in" feeling when cornering and I am OK with leaning the tire over hard to engage the cornering knobs.

Some initial ride impressions:

I only have 2 rides on the Edge 22 (I installed it on my Ripley v4) but I covered quite a bit of variable terrain. In general, I was quite impressed. The tire seems to roll really well and I didn't sense any loss of braking traction despite the lack of prominent center knobs steep and blown out/loose trail conditions. The tire also held like a champ will climbing off camber trail slopes.

I guess the big draw of this tire is the cornering prowess and the tire did not disappoint. I can't say that the Edge 22 cornered better than the DHF but both tires are quite impressive when it comes to cornering traction. What I did notice immediately is that the Edge 22's transition as I lean the tire over feels almost seamless. For folks that prefer transition knobs in their front tire, this could be a great option. I don't really like transition knobs in my front tire and I think that the Edge 22 is a great front tire option. Ha!

I know that this is a brand new tire and the knobs are in peak condition, but my initial impression is that the tire designers succeeded in meeting their design objectives. If the Edge 22 continues to deliver durable and dependable performance, Tioga definitely has produced a winner.