Thru axle vs QR? What's the point and when is the thru axle needed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thru axle vs QR? What's the point and when is the thru axle needed?

Mostly I would like to know if thru axles are needed for AM with small drops and jumps. How did the more extreme cycling sports get by before thru axle forks and frames were made?

Also, if thru axles are needed are they needed for both the frame and fork or just one or the other? If one is needed what type of riding is it needed for?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wouldn't say that they are needed, but thru axles do add a significant amount of stiffness to the frame or fork. IMO, thru axles are beneficial, and worth the cost of the upgrade, on the front of any bike even XC-race bikes, that doesnt mean they are needed though. For the front you would need a thru axle fork, and corresponding hub. When it comes to the rear you would need a frame that accepts a through axle, and the corresponding rear hub. Many hubs are convertible to which ever standard you need, but the frame and fork would be specific to one standard with the exception of very few frames that have convertible rear dropouts.

If you are riding in the rough stuff, and taking decent drops regularly than consider thru axles with your next frame or fork purchase. Until then, your wheels are not going to fall off because you do not have them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Thru Axles are specific to the drop outs, such as a 15mm or 20mm front axle and a 12mm rear axle. The axle comes with the frame or fork. They are very secure since the entire axle has to be removed to release the wheel.

Thru Bolts work with standard QR drop outs and replace the standard axle (9mm front, 10mm rear) and quick release with a bolt (that may or may not be quick release) that slides thru the hub. They are a bit stiffer than quick releases, but the wheel can still be released without removing the axle from the hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Are all QR axles the same size? I'm wondering if the rear of the Stan Cruz Chameleon takes a regular QR axle or a larger one.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Are all QR axles the same size? I'm wondering if the rear of the Stan Cruz Chameleon takes a regular QR axle or a larger one.
    The Chameleon uses standard 135mm x 10mm drop outs. You can use QR, Thru Bolt, or Bolt Up.

Members who have read this thread: 4