mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Threads showing in sidewall of tire

Bontrager Team Issue 29-1 x 2.0 Team Issue Rear Tire (not a tubelss version)
    Ran tubeless w/ 26-28psi. 155lb rider. Hardtail Aluminum.
    2012 model @ 480 grams

Threads showing in sidewall of tire-img_1894.jpg

Admittedly the tire is a year old and knobs wore pretty good. I do not think I will race with again - I would be kickin myself if i DNF'd with it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Ran tire like this w/ no problem?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Every specialized tire I've had gets like that after a while. And a non snakeskin schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Every specialized tire I've had gets like that after a while. And a non snakeskin schwalbe.
    Thanks - did you continue to use it? Or did you throw it out at that point?

no trees are safe
    Happens when there isn't thick enough rubber layer on the sidewall or when you're running too low pressures. Isn't really an issue as far as I know as long as the thread's don't start breaking. You will probably wear it out before that happens though.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Happens when there isn't thick enough rubber layer on the sidewall or when you're running too low pressures. Isn't really an issue as far as I know as long as the thread's don't start breaking. You will probably wear it out before that happens though.
    what they said... it's really not an issue till the threads really start breaking...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Threads showing in sidewall of tire

Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Bontrager Team Issue 29-1 x 2.0 Team Issue Rear Tire (not a tubelss version)
    Ran tubeless w/ 26-28psi. 155lb rider. Hardtail Aluminum.
    2012 model @ 480 grams

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg 
Views:	6625 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	800371

Admittedly the tire is a year old and knobs wore pretty good. I do not think I will race with again - I would be kickin myself if i DNF'd with it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Ran tire like this w/ no problem?
    Not delaminating. Not an issue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most of my tires end up looking like that before (sometimes LONG before) I actually get rid of them. As long as those threads are intact, you have no problem. Look on the bright side, you now have the profile of a fast-rolling short-lug "hardpack" tire in the center of your tire, while retaining taller (un-worn) side lugs for cornering, and you didn't even have to pay extra for this! My problem is tearing off those side lugs (I weigh 200lbs.) which exposes sidewall threads to gravel, and that's a bad thing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    'Bringing this thread back up as I'm wearing out my Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.2's in the same fashion, in a very short period of time.....and it actually is a problem, because the "worn" areas are so thin, that I started getting leaking which the sealant would not seal. This is on 2 tires approx 2 months old / 800 miles.
    As we are going wider wheels and running lower psi's, I'm wondering if certain tires are going to be wearing out much faster than others. The treads are still perfect, so to have the sidewalls getting worn is a disappointment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I developed leaks in sidewalls also with (in my opinion) a bad batch of Stans.

Problem solved when adding mold maker and glitter to the Stans
    OR
    Mix of Stans & Slime Tube Sealer (has the little black chunks in it)

The new "Tubeless Ready" (TLR) tires IMO will not have the same problems as the light weight "tube type" tires. In the Bontragers its 'about' 200g a tire - if you can still find "tube type".

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I honestly never tracked mileage on my mtb tires...But those Specialized tires are TLR with thicker sidewalls, etc.

Looks like 'size for size' they weigh about 100g more than the Bonty tube type i run

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    'Bringing this thread back up as I'm wearing out my Specialized Fast Trak Control 2.2's in the same fashion, in a very short period of time.....and it actually is a problem, because the "worn" areas are so thin, that I started getting leaking which the sealant would not seal. This is on 2 tires approx 2 months old / 800 miles.
    As we are going wider wheels and running lower psi's, I'm wondering if certain tires are going to be wearing out much faster than others. The treads are still perfect, so to have the sidewalls getting worn is a disappointment.
    I had this come up in specialized butcher tires with the control casing. The control casing didn't seem to like the lower pressures I like to run. Have since switched to Maxxis tires with Exo casings and haven't had sidewall issues since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've never seen it that bad, but my cross bike tires do that. The constant bending of the sidewalls is like bending a paperclip back and forth. Mine will start to leak tiny amounts of sealant too. This is usually about when the tire is worn out anyway so it's not a big deal. But as others have said, not a concern.

mtbr member
    I've got an Ikon on the back of my hardtail that's doing exactly this. Its only about 6 months old but I did a couple of lift runs with it and since then they've looked like that. 75kg rider on a Cotic Soul 26er running 24psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    I had this come up in specialized butcher tires with the control casing. The control casing didn't seem to like the lower pressures I like to run. Have since switched to Maxxis tires with Exo casings and haven't had sidewall issues since.
    Butcher and Ground Control (both control casing) here. I was told by a Spec. rep and others to go with the Grid casing. I have since switched over to a Butcher grid up front and once my Ground Control goes out, I have a grid version ready as well. To the OP, I think you eventually need to find a tire with a tougher sidewall. If you're running tubes, you're probably fine. If you're running tubeless, when the tires get like what you have pictured, the juice starts weeping really bad. Couldn't hold air in my tires and they looked half as bad as yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Bud & Lou - will automotive windshield urethane protect sidewalls w/ threads showing?

Surly Lou especially has many threads showing - with 100 mm wide HED's, when snow/ice accumulates on chain stays of Borealis Yampa, it rubs and slowly wears away sidewall. Bud & Lou are now in their 5th year (snow/ice riding only with 175 grip studs in each / tubeless with Stan's ), and I'm hoping to get even more years -

a friend in the autobody business recommended auto windshield glass urethane adhesive - wondering if I spread it on the outside of the sidewalls if it will stay for any length of time?

Anybody tried this or any other method? thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    To cover exposed cotton tubular sidewall threads on CX bikes, it's common to use Aquaseal.

On MTB tires like the OP pictures, just ride them. It's very common for mtb tires to look like that. Sometimes you'll see clear oil-like fluid leaking through sidewalls if set up tubeless. That's propylene glycol from the sealant. It's water soluble so rinses off and is non toxic.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I donít think that primer will give thickness to protect the threads that are not only visible but sticking out of the sidewall, Iím looking for something to actually add maybe half a millimeter of material to the sidewall. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zedwarjen View Post