Thoughts on Crossmax XL's as ss wheels- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Thoughts on Crossmax XL's as ss wheels

I'm wanting to use Crossmax XL's as SS wheels, they look good, fairly light and durable. I would use a spacer kit to convert the rear hub, unless there is a better way. Want to know what ya'll think and if anyone has used a set up like this.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

SS Xmax

use a cog with a wide interface with the freehub body like boone or king. novatec cogs(generic cogs) or cassette parts or are too thin for an alloy freehub and will gouge into it making removal difficult and damaging the splines. should be a very cool looking setup when you are done.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Freehub is alloy? I doubt it.

I ran a Crossmax SL wheelset on a single speed with spacers. No problems.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by crashomatic
    use a cog with a wide interface with the freehub body like boone or king. novatec cogs(generic cogs) or cassette parts or are too thin for an alloy freehub and will gouge into it making removal difficult and damaging the splines. should be a very cool looking setup when you are done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Freehub is alloy? I doubt it.

I ran a Crossmax SL wheelset on a single speed with spacers. No problems.

JMH
    Crossmax probably have the hardest freehub body out there. Been using cheapo narrow steel novatech cogs on mine and you can not tell where they were on the hub, does not even scratch the body.

Aug 2006
    Thanks for the help, now all I need to do is sell my geared bike and get the rest of my ss parts. Know anyone interested in a 06 Scalpel 2000?

Members who have read this thread: 0