thorns and stans, still loosing air, time for tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

thorns and stans, still loosing air, time for tires?

Running Captain Controls on my Camber, rode a burly trail last week and noticed this morning when inspecting my tires I had numerous thorns in them, like 4-5 in each tire, I removed the thorns and rotated the tores and some stans seeped and they seemed to be fine. I aired them up and let them sit for about 15 minutes and go back only to find they've lost 15psi in that time. I reinflate and take for a spin around the block, and they've lost more air, in about 5-10 minutes.
    Is it time for new tires and should I remove and patch the inside?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Former Bike Wrench
    Are you running strait Stans?

If so I would recommend running a mixture of 2 parts Stans, 1 part Slime for Tubeless Tires (the stuff found in Auto Parts stores/departments with the black particles in it). The extra "chunks" and the increased viscosity of the mixture seems to seal up thorn holes better than Stans alone.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I may try that when I mount up some new tires, I usually need a bottle and a half of stans anyway, I'll buy the 2+1 stans and slime and mix them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Try to mix Stans with some extra glitter at craft store, it works well and you can see the leaks.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Mix Stans, Glitter, and Eyeliner. Sorry, this is probably not funny or helpful. I just don't buy into the glitter deal. I do however change sealant once it starts to dry up.

mtbr member
    Maybe you just need to add more Stans. How long have you been running the current portion?
    Stans alone has always worked fine in sealing thorns punctures for me, maybe you simply don't have much of it left in the tire now?

mtbr member
    Well I convertd the tires over to tubeless about 4 months ago with a bottle in each wheel. I was having some slow air seep where I was having to add 5-10psf every couple of days so I added another half bottle to each wheel about 2 months ago.
    It should still be good and there should be plenty in there but I may try adding.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Well I convertd the tires over to tubeless about 4 months ago with a bottle in each wheel. I was having some slow air seep where I was having to add 5-10psf every couple of days so I added another half bottle to each wheel about 2 months ago.
    It should still be good and there should be plenty in there but I may try adding.
    A bottle in each wheel- how large of a bottle? If it is the little 2oz one, that may not be enough- particularly for a new tire install or if you have big leakin going on. There is a little 2oz cup that comes with the Stan's kit... I put two cup fulls of that in for wide 29er tires (29 x 2.4's). ~3 oz or so should be enough for narrower tires. I typically add 2oz more after 3-4 months if I do not hear much liquid inside when I shake the tire. Also, I do not remove whatever punctures the tire unless I am installing a tube after getting a flat (only one flat on one of my two rides in a couple years so far).