Come on, dare me!

Is there anything like a grippy tire (Maxxis-like) with lower rolling resistance?

Hey all,

As a foreword, let's say that I've been riding MTBs for 27 years and tried lots of tires. I'm currently riding my Yeti SB66c the most and recently switched from a Nobby Nic 2.35 to a Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 in the rear (front is a Hans Dampf 2.35, which is OK for my style of riding). The reason why I've switched is that I found the NN was lacking grip when leaning the bike over, especially on loamy terrain. I'm very happy with the Aggressor and discovered the "magic" of the 3C compound (really sticky compared to the NN Pacestar). My only issue is weight -- since there's quite a lot of pedalling involved in my usual rides and I'm getting older (52), I find the Aggressor a bit draggy, especially on long or steep ascents.

So, is there a kind of "goldilocks" tire that would be the best of both worlds (efficient cornering + fast-rolling) and available in 26"?

Thanks!

tire to rim ratio tester
    I guess you could try the maxxis ardent 2.25. go to the maxxis website, they have a couple different tires that have nice side knobs but flatter high rolling centers. I promise that you will find the right tire there, they have like 25 different types. I can't paste the right tire types cause I'm on the phone and cannot do multiple screens, sorry.

Barely in control
    Yes, Morsa 2.3. It's the fastest trail tire you can buy.

I'm with stupid
    The gripton compound on the specialized tires right now is actually really good. Said to be done by the same guy that did black chili. It rolls far better than it should for how well it sticks. Could be a good goldilocks zone tire. The purgatory rear with butcher front is a really good quick rolling set up. The butcher in gripton rolls faster than the aggressor IMO.

Barely in control
    I was rolling on the 2018 2.6 Butcher purg combo this spring and I thought it was pretty slow compared to Vittoria g+.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Rekon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe a different way to look at it. I have ran a Magic Mary up front with the Nobby Nic out back. With the Magic Mary up front I find the Nobby Nic to be a pretty good balance of traction and rolling resistance. But when I put a Nobby Nic up front not only did I not like it up front I then did not like it on the rear as well. Conclusion: when I have the security of the Magic Mary up front I did not rely on the Nobby Nic on the rear nearly as much. And with an aggressive tire up front it just does not have any where as much effect on rolling resistance as it dose on the rear. So maybe you should be looking at changing up the front. I will add this was in the PNW.
    Last edited by DHRracer; 1 Week Ago at 07:20 PM. Reason: add text

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What Vittoria? I am looking at the Martello for SoCal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    Maxxis Rekon?

Rekon 2.6, 2.4’s

Function in disaster, finish in style.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    What Vittoria? I am looking at the Martello for SoCal.
    I have not seen it tested for rolling resistance, but it will do very well as a rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yes, Morsa 2.3. It's the fastest trail tire you can buy.
    It is pretty damn fast and I loved it for dry conditions, which it nearly always is where I ride. It was not good in loam and light mud. Granted, I'm not great in loam and light mud because I rarely ride it, but I have ridden tires that are much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am thinking front and rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    I am thinking front and rear.
    I rode the Morsa front and rear. You need to commit; there's no transition knob and the center knobs don't grab when cornering, unlike the Goma. But it worked fine at moderate to high lean angles.

Come on, dare me!
    Thanks for all the good suggestions! Gripton compound seems interesting and Specialized tires are pretty cheap compared to other brands... Will follow up in this thread, if anyone's interested.

I'm with stupid
    follow ups are always nice for people researching in the future

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I prefer 2.4 to 2.5 does Specialized still run small? I took my Assguy off for more down hill stuff but loved the knob profile. Might have to give this a try unless the trail Assigei comes out in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    The McFly is a great rear tire. It's super grippy.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I prefer 2.4 to 2.5 does Specialized still run small? I took my Assguy off for more down hill stuff but loved the knob profile. Might have to give this a try unless the trail Assigei comes out in 2 weeks.
    Measured a Butcher 2,6 on a 30mm rim. Was about 2,4". So yeah, they run small.

mtbr member
    DHR2 EXO/TR is the goldilocks between grip, cornering, toughness, durability, and rolling speed. I suggest 3C MaxxTerra front and DC rear. If you ride a rear biased bike (very short chainstay compared to wheelbase), might need the DD rear.

It has barely any more rolling resistance than the Ardent (which barely has any more than the Nobby Nic Pacestar), but has far better grip characteristics.

It's worth the money ($50+ each). Don't under-inflate them, nor put them on too wide of a rim, as I find they like to be round. Carry tubeless plugs.

Currently trying a Minion SS on the rear and not really liking its square profile, as it likes to slot into ruts and has trouble rolling out of them, where the rounder profile tires easily roll out and follow a line on off-cambers better.

I liked the Ikon, but its braking traction at high speed left a lot to be desired. I couldn't open up to higher speeds, due to the inability to control it. Still will rate it better than Nobby Nics.

I just think the Maxxis rubber compounds are 2nd to none in dry sun-baked dirt, compared to rubber compounds more designed for all-rounder climates (Schwalbe, Spec, etc.). Conti Black Chili is up there with Maxxis, but I've had issues with reliability and tubeless setup with their casing. Vittoria rolls very well, but traction may not be to your liking. Maxxis casings are a little on the light side, if you're really rough on your stuff, but their performance is not overly sensitive to pressure levels like others, so you can just pump it up a little harder and still have it behave well.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Rekon 2.6, 2.4’s

Rekons are good but he's saying he feels draggy with a 2.3. I'm not sure that's going to improve much with a wider tire.

Maxxis Aspen 2.10 and 2.25 look good for him.

Maxxis High Roller II smallest is 2.30, they look a bit heavy at 840g.

Maxxis Icon looks good too, they have a 2.20 that's in the low 500g's.

Maxxis Minion SS looks interesting, smallest is 2.30.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My favorite set up for a long time was the DHF/ Aggressor. I kept searching for something with very nearly the same grip, but lower rolling resistance and maybe lower weight

I found it!

Butcher 2.6 up front (which thankfully is only an actual 2.4) and Hans Dampf soft rear with the Pepi tire noodle.

It's a fast high traction combo!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Rekons are good but he's saying he feels draggy with a 2.3. I'm not sure that's going to improve much with a wider tire.

Maxxis Aspen 2.10 and 2.25 look good for him.

Maxxis High Roller II smallest is 2.30, they look a bit heavy at 840g.

Maxxis Icon looks good too, they have a 2.20 that's in the low 500g's.

Maxxis Minion SS looks interesting, smallest is 2.30.
    Needs to man up and they’re not draggy.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    DHR2 EXO/TR is the goldilocks between grip, cornering, toughness, durability, and rolling speed. I suggest 3C MaxxTerra front and DC rear. If you ride a rear biased bike (very short chainstay compared to wheelbase), might need the DD rear.

It has barely any more rolling resistance than the Ardent (which barely has any more than the Nobby Nic Pacestar), but has far better grip characteristics.

It's worth the money ($50+ each). Don't under-inflate them, nor put them on too wide of a rim, as I find they like to be round. Carry tubeless plugs.

Currently trying a Minion SS on the rear and not really liking its square profile, as it likes to slot into ruts and has trouble rolling out of them, where the rounder profile tires easily roll out and follow a line on off-cambers better.

I liked the Ikon, but its braking traction at high speed left a lot to be desired. I couldn't open up to higher speeds, due to the inability to control it. Still will rate it better than Nobby Nics.

I just think the Maxxis rubber compounds are 2nd to none in dry sun-baked dirt, compared to rubber compounds more designed for all-rounder climates (Schwalbe, Spec, etc.). Conti Black Chili is up there with Maxxis, but I've had issues with reliability and tubeless setup with their casing. Vittoria rolls very well, but traction may not be to your liking. Maxxis casings are a little on the light side, if you're really rough on your stuff, but their performance is not overly sensitive to pressure levels like others, so you can just pump it up a little harder and still have it behave well.
    I got a DHR2 EXO/TR 2.3 (single ply) at the same time as my Aggressor, but haven't tried it yet. What was a bit disappointing was that it weighs quite a lot more than advertised (830 g vs 756 g in 26"). Anyhow, I'll follow up on your suggestion but being heavier and knobbier than the Aggressor, I think it's gonna roll even slower...

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Needs to man up and they’re not draggy.

Draggy is not a question of how wide the tire -- I've been riding Schwalbe 2.35 that are huge (bigger than Maxxis 2.5 and almost as wide as my friend's Rekon 2.8), but the tread pattern, compound and weight all make a difference. The Aggressor, at 821 g (weighted on my digital scale) is much slower rolling than the tire it replaced, i.e. a 2.35 Nobby Nic Pacestar. That said, I'm looking for an "in-between" that would give close or as much lateral grip as the Aggressor combined with better rolling... 2.3 Butcher seems interesting, although on the narrow side.

Anyone used the new Addix Schwalbes? Sounds that they are more grippy and durable than before...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Draggy is not a question of how wide the tire -- I've been riding Schwalbe 2.35 that are huge (bigger than Maxxis 2.5 and almost as wide as my friend's Rekon 2.8), but the tread pattern, compound and weight all make a difference. The Aggressor, at 821 g (weighted on my digital scale) is much slower rolling than the tire it replaced, i.e. a 2.35 Nobby Nic Pacestar. That said, I'm looking for an "in-between" that would give close or as much lateral grip as the Aggressor combined with better rolling... 2.3 Butcher seems interesting, although on the narrow side.

Anyone used the new Addix Schwalbes? Sounds that they are more grippy and durable than before...
    I’m running dual NN Addix Speedgrio 2.6. They seem to be pretty fast rolling but I don’t have much low profile threaded tire experience.

mtbr member
    Fast rolling AM tires are my jam.

I like the Minion SS and the Griffin, both roll great. If your looking to stick with a 2.3 and not go to a XC width / casing the SS is worth a shot. The SS rolls better than the Griffin, but the Griffin has better traction when climbing and braking. I run the Griffin all year long as it performs very well in a variety of conditions, it was originally designed to be a fast DH tire but they've started making it with EXO casing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bontrager XR2 - comes in 26 x 2.2. Brought back to life my old 26er beater bike. Honest to gaud - I can barely notice any discernible grip difference between it and the 2.5 Aggressor I have no my trail bike. Very predictable characteristics. But WAY lighter and rolls faster than the Aggressor.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    Fast rolling AM tires are my jam.

I like the Minion SS and the Griffin, both roll great. If your looking to stick with a 2.3 and not go to a XC width / casing the SS is worth a shot. The SS rolls better than the Griffin, but the Griffin has better traction when climbing and braking. I run the Griffin all year long as it performs very well in a variety of conditions, it was originally designed to be a fast DH tire but they've started making it with EXO casing.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, the Griffin has been discontinued...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post

Tire drag or rolling resistance is a sum of the total. Tread pattern, depth, tread width, tire volume as well as terrain. Hahaha, you’re pretty funny so you think you’re the only one that has Maxxis tires and Schwalbe tires in similar sizes. The 2.35 Schwalbes are smaller than the 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 Maxxis tires mounted on the same rims and about the same size as 2.35 Maxxis tires, like Ikon and AR measured with my Mitztutoya calipers. Maxxis 2.5 DHF is huge, bigger in volume than the Schwalbes and much wider in the tread.

Reckons are not draggy tires in 2.4 or 2.6 so quit spreading misinformation. The Aggressor is going to be slower rolling than a Nobby Nic in the same size because it provides about twice the traction and about twice the durability. That is unless you like knobs tearing off and fragile sidewalls then great, ride the Schwalbes.

Function in disaster, finish in style!

mtbr member
    One of the reasons why we end up with poor tire characteristics is because we're left with the final choice in what tire configuration we buy, yet we do little to no real research (reading reviews that don't fit your context doesn't quite count) and expect the tire company to make it faultless.

For example:

A Maxxis Shorty is available in 3 different compounds. The softer the compound, the less force it takes to make the knobs flex. It's also offered in a DH version with larger knobs for the softer compound.

You'll have a different tire with each choice. MaxxTerra or MaxxGrip might be considered poor for fast hardpack riding, but very nice if you're riding in conditions where you're already consistently on the brakes to keep things in control. The DD casing version might be excess weight if you're not hitting things hard enough, or EXO just isn't tough enough on your bike if you're plowing without the ability to unweight your tire due to your speed and the spacing between obstacles. The dual compound version might be able to ridden until it's bald, while the 3C versions might lose grip tremendously when it still has little nubs left.

It was common for DH pros to run a soft compound mud tire with its knobs shortened for intermediate conditions. Doing so improved rolling characteristics, since the shorter block takes more force to flex, and can be pushed harder.

Some people just can't understand the conditions that others ride in, being holed up in the region they live in, riding trails that appeal to their tastes. Their recommendations and experiences will vary vastly--one might like the Ikon or Rekon, while another finds them completely inadequate compared to what they're used to. It's all relative.

The most neutral judgment you can make is to merely compare one tire to the next, avoiding any personal experience that pertains to your specific environment, including bike geometry. Essentially, minimize variables, leaving only the specific tires (width, casing, tread pattern, compound, wheel size, etc.) and note the variables that you can't avoid like their pressure, which end of the bike it's on, whether it's tubeless or has anything inside, your weight, your bike (including size), your speed, etc. Not very neutral at all, compared to lab tests, hence why such reviews don't really count unless they match up well with your context.