Teravail Tires - I am really digging these!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Teravail Tires - I am really digging these!

I am just throwing this out there because I dont ever see much about Teravail. I am a bit of a tire junky and love trying new things, and with the good luck I had running the 42c Cannonballs on my gravel bike I decided to give their mountain tires a try. I am impressed! I have to say that these things ticked all the boxes for me:

*Teravail Honcho 29x2.4 front. Tread pattern seems just aggressive enough to not wash my front tire out.

*Teravail Ehline 29x2.3 rear. Fast rolling with enough grip to ride varied conditions.

*Durable casing, which is necessary due to my extremely rocky local trails.

* Tread patterns that are effective without being overkill (sorry Minion lovers, no giant nobbies here).

*Extremely supple casing, also very important since I am on a rigid SS. Stiff casings are very noticeable on this bike, especially being under 2.6s. I am really blown away at how soft these tires ride.

The biggest con I can see for some people out there would be the weight. This isn't a weight weenie race tire, however I will happily take extra weight over constantly fixing punctures and tears. A very minor con that I have noticed from both these and the gravel tires I ran is that Teravail makes their tires insanely tight. I fought these for a solid 45 minutes due to how tight they were. However, I list this as very minor issue because after putting miles on the Cannonballs they stretched out and I didn't have to fight them again.

These tires do come in a bit skinny, which has me wondering if their 2.6 options might be a good fit for my current rims. Prior to this I was running the Vittoria Mezcals in 2.6 and they were a bit wide, though Vittoria has a reputation for usually coming in over what they list for width.

Overall I'd give these Teravails a solid 4.5/5!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I hate to break it to you, but a tire that has smaller knobs, is similar in physical size, and more weight, is not an "extremely supple" casing. The same properties that make a tire lighter are those that make the sidewalls supple. It's great that Terravail is providing us another option and competition for our business, because that is better for everyone.

That said, I have also branched out and tried some new tires lately, for me, the WTBs. They aren't weight weenie tires either, but traction plays such a part in confidence that thus far, I'm very happy with them.

mtbr member
    nice, I wanted to try the teravails. I considered the cumberland/kennebec combo for my 27.5x2.8. they were second place, i went with specialized tires.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah been looking at these for a bit now. Vittoria's are still my king of the mountain tires, love love LOVE my Goma's and really hoping that they release a revised version at EuroBike so that I can keep running them. Had an issue with the Mezcal III when it first came out in the 2.35 (29er) that it was running super small (measured in at barely 2.2 on an i29 rim) but Vittoria was awesome and noted they had some batch issues and offered to replace the tire with anything from their line-up that I wanted. Glad to hear that it looks like they fixed that issue and the 2.6 is running large. Was thinking of pairing the Martello front with the Mezcal rear on my trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but a tire that has smaller knobs, is similar in physical size, and more weight, is not an "extremely supple" casing. The same properties that make a tire lighter are those that make the sidewalls supple. It's great that Terravail is providing us another option and competition for our business, because that is better for everyone.

That said, I have also branched out and tried some new tires lately, for me, the WTBs. They aren't weight weenie tires either, but traction plays such a part in confidence that thus far, I'm very happy with them.
    It's more noticeable on a rigid bike, but no 2 casings are created equal. They 100% ride different based on the company/tire. I switched away from Maxxis years ago because even though I had great luck with the EXO, it rode incredibly stiff. I have been riding Vittoria for a couple seasons and found the TNT to be a pretty supple casing (way more supple than the EXO). Specialized Grid has also been a fairly comfy ride.

The Teravails ride insanely soft though. I suppose some of that may be a combo of compound and casing, but the casing/sidewall feels different between tires.

Edit: Ill throw in for clarification that I am only talking about durable casings here (EXO, Grid, TNT, etc). Between a normal casing and a durable, you are 100% correct. I sometimes forget that when I talk tires, I am not including a normal casing simply because I can't ride them here (they get destroyed in no time).... so yea, this comparison is against other durable casing/sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah been looking at these for a bit now. Vittoria's are still my king of the mountain tires, love love LOVE my Goma's and really hoping that they release a revised version at EuroBike so that I can keep running them. Had an issue with the Mezcal III when it first came out in the 2.35 (29er) that it was running super small (measured in at barely 2.2 on an i29 rim) but Vittoria was awesome and noted they had some batch issues and offered to replace the tire with anything from their line-up that I wanted. Glad to hear that it looks like they fixed that issue and the 2.6 is running large. Was thinking of pairing the Martello front with the Mezcal rear on my trail bike.
    The reason I picked these tires up is because I was tired of waiting for the Barzo 2.6 to come out. I actually heard they just dropped it, but I am kind of glad I didn't grab one due to my current rim situation. I was running the Mezcal 2.6s front and rear for a few months now, and even those had a little too much roll for me. Im running a fairly narrow rim (by todays standards, anyways).

I have had very good luck with a Barzo front / Mezcal rear on my SS, and a Goma front / Barzo rear on my full suspension.

Bikesexual
    I'm with you OP. I've been a Maxxis fan for a while but that's changing.

Dig my 2.8 Coronado on my Krampus, and love the 42 Rutlands on my XCheck. Plus love their gumwall line up.

The Rutland's downside is pavement, they don't roll as smooth as my Ramblers on my MMD but it's not a major problem.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I'm with you OP. I've been a Maxxis fan for a while but that's changing.

Dig my 2.8 Coronado on my Krampus, and love the 42 Rutlands on my XCheck. Plus love their gumwall line up.

The Rutland's downside is pavement, they don't roll as smooth as my Ramblers on my MMD but it's not a major problem.
    I know guys who love the Ramblers, I have yet to try them. I really liked the Cannonballs, but have also been super impressed with Specialized line of gravel tires. I put what felt like a million miles on a set of Triggers, and I am currently running the Sawtooths on my Tamland. I know people hate on Spesh, but they actually do really well with tires. I had really good luck with the Grid spec'd tires also.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I know guys who love the Ramblers, I have yet to try them. I really liked the Cannonballs, but have also been super impressed with Specialized line of gravel tires. I put what felt like a million miles on a set of Triggers, and I am currently running the Sawtooths on my Tamland. I know people hate on Spesh, but they actually do really well with tires. I had really good luck with the Grid spec'd tires also.
    Ramblers are great tires! Cannonballs was my first intro to Teravail tires, had them on my Jake, great tire! Don't think they come on 42s though.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Ramblers are great tires! Cannonballs was my first intro to Teravail tires, had them on my Jake, great tire! Don't think they come on 42s though.
    They do, 700x42 is what I had on my SS. I believe they currently come in 38 and 42.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yea I ran the Goma/Barzo setup for quite a while. That was a great setup in the drier conditions, but for me the ultimate year round was either Goma f/r or Goma/Martello. Great rolling speed, lots of traction and braking bite. When the trails got a little damp after some light rain storms, that is when the Martello really came alive. Can remember hauling ass down some flowy sections of my normal ride and just feeling like I was on absolute RAILS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I am just throwing this out there because I dont ever see much about Teravail. I am a bit of a tire junky and love trying new things, and with the good luck I had running the 42c Cannonballs on my gravel bike I decided to give their mountain tires a try. I am impressed! I have to say that these things ticked all the boxes for me:

*Teravail Honcho 29x2.4 front. Tread pattern seems just aggressive enough to not wash my front tire out.

*Teravail Ehline 29x2.3 rear. Fast rolling with enough grip to ride varied conditions.

*Durable casing, which is necessary due to my extremely rocky local trails.

* Tread patterns that are effective without being overkill (sorry Minion lovers, no giant nobbies here).

*Extremely supple casing, also very important since I am on a rigid SS. Stiff casings are very noticeable on this bike, especially being under 2.6s. I am really blown away at how soft these tires ride.

The biggest con I can see for some people out there would be the weight. This isn't a weight weenie race tire, however I will happily take extra weight over constantly fixing punctures and tears. A very minor con that I have noticed from both these and the gravel tires I ran is that Teravail makes their tires insanely tight. I fought these for a solid 45 minutes due to how tight they were. However, I list this as very minor issue because after putting miles on the Cannonballs they stretched out and I didn't have to fight them again.

These tires do come in a bit skinny, which has me wondering if their 2.6 options might be a good fit for my current rims. Prior to this I was running the Vittoria Mezcals in 2.6 and they were a bit wide, though Vittoria has a reputation for usually coming in over what they list for width.

Overall I'd give these Teravails a solid 4.5/5!
    +1 on the 4.5 star rating from another rigid SS rider. In my case it's a Kennebec 29x2.6 Light & Supple on the front.

Sidewall claim and numbers live up the the hype...it blows up big on my i30 rim and feels well damped.

I typically ride it at 16-18psi on fairly rocky trails in northern NJ. The tire loses about 8psi per week, but if I forget to top it off before a ride, it can handle as low as 10psi with no issues. I've had one small puncture (between center knobs) in 9 months and the sealant stopped the leak. Topped it off with co2 and kept riding.

I love the combination of aggressive tread, relatively light weight, volume and damping. The compound, while grippy, is not crazy sticky, but the volume and tread make up for it in most situations. The side knobs are huge, well spaced, and have concavities on the outer edges that provide a little extra grab off camber.

It's more durable than the e13 trsr and fatter than the 2.5 WT DHF 3C maxterra that preceded it. Bought the Terravail because there weren't a lot of 29x2.6 options at the time. That's not the case so much anymore, yet I'll have a hard time not buying another one when this one gives up the ghost--which at the current rate of wear won't be anytime soon.