Teravail tires? Experience?- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Teravail tires? Experience?

Teravail seems to be a fairly new company to the mtb tire world but from what I have read, they have been making tires for quite some time. Saw yesterday that they are releasing two new mtb tires; the Honcho and Ehline. Honcho is more of an aggressive trail tire while the Ehline is an XC, fast rolling flow type tire.

Wondering if anyone has experience with their tires as I am looking for something new. Not into spending gobs of money on Maxxis, Schwalbe, Conti, etc. and have been rocking Vittoria tires for years now without complaint. For 2019 Vittoria got rid of one of the best tires in their lineup, the Goma, like got rid of it all together. So I am now looking for a replacement. Have been eyeing the Bontrager SE4/XR4 and WTB Trailboss/Vigilante. But when I saw the new Honcho pop up it peaked my interest.

Moderator Moderator
    Interesting tires. Unless I missed something, they seem to cost the same gobs of money as all other brands though.

Barely in control
    No experience, but just looking at their spec sheets, I see 60 tpi casings with nothing special rubber and no durometers listed. I expect them to have an average ride quality, good grip, and average durability.

mtbr member
    They are solid tires. One of the house brands owned by QBP (huge bicycle products distributor). They have not been around that long, as far as I know. Seem to be popular in the gravel crowd.

I have the Coronado 27.5x3.0 on my hardtail and I love them. Good traction and durability. They do not have the fancy super soft rubber compounds of other brands. I bought them because the price is lower than Maxxis and they actually measure true to size! Imagine that!

I would buy them again
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Teravail is a QBP brand. Their tires are fine, nothing special. I tried the 700x28 ramparts. They felt ok, kind of heavy, on the slow side but not too bad. I got one flat that went flat, then I pumped it back up and sealant plugged it and I couldn.t even find the hole. I was pretty surprised though that a 700x28 "road" tire only measured 27.5mm on a 20mm ID rim when new though. They did grow a mm over a month.

Based off my super unscientific comparison of stamps inside the tire it appears that maybe some of them are made by the same factory that makes Donnelly tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Depending on the size you want, the McFly is a good rear tire choice. I run the 29x2.8 on i36mm i9 BC360s. It rolls fast and grips great. It also measures 2.78 on my rims.

https://terrenetires.com/pages/mcfly

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just saw them pop on REI's website. Never heard of them before either.
    AreBee

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for the info guys... yeah I noticed that they run about the same price as everyone else but I figured that after a short while you might be able to find them on sale somewhere where as most time Maxxis and Schwalbe almost never go one sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Depending on the size you want, the McFly is a good rear tire choice. I run the 29x2.8 on i36mm i9 BC360s. It rolls fast and grips great. It also measures 2.78 on my rims.

https://terrenetires.com/pages/mcfly

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    This iS another brand...but similar tires

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I really like their 27.5+ tire options.
    Been running a "Durable" Kennebec and Cumberland combo for a while.
    Whatever the durable recipe is for Teravail, it results in supportive and fairly long lasting sidewalls for 27.5+ tires. At least as supportive and maybe more durable than Maxxis 60TPI DHF/DHR/HR2 and way more durable than Schwalbe Magic Mary's and Hans Dampfs.
    Cumberland is a great semi slick option for the rear. Does what a semi slick is supposed to do. Hooks up great in corners when leaned over, pedals and rolls well and brakes/climbs well in straight line. Does well in loose to hardpack conditions, but braking traction will vary considerably depending on soil.
    Kennebec has a lot of handling characteristics that are similar to 27.5+ 2.8 HR2s. Super grippy and great cornering plus tire if you corner at speed confidently and lean the bike over quickly. Great tire for loose, dry and drifty terrain. Noticeably less bounce/squirm/vagueness when hitting multiple rocks at speed compared to the other plus tires mentioned above.
    As far as lug durability, Teravail seems on par with Maxxis and ahead of Schwalbe.
    The tires have a very "Maxxis" look/feel to them. I wouldn't be surprised if QBP is utilizing a Cheng Shin/CST/Maxxis production facility.

Barely in control
    If they were made by Maxxis without the Maxxis price then that's a good deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    From your description, op, you might also want to check out specialized tires. I run the butcher, it's a minion clone like the goma. All of specs tires in all sizes are $60 and there are frequent 10% off sales.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    [QUOTE For 2019 Vittoria got rid of one of the best tires in their lineup, the Goma, like got rid of it all together. So I am now looking for a .[/QUOTE]

yeah the Gomas are awesome, they still have a lot in stock , the Martello 2.6 will be a really good tire as well.

Vee tires crown gems and flow snaps have been good to me and at a great price
    I've been inside too long.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    From your description, op, you might also want to check out specialized tires. I run the butcher, it's a minion clone like the goma. All of specs tires in all sizes are $60 and there are frequent 10% off sales.
    Thanks but no... had bad experiences in the past with their customer service, their shops, and genuinely just undewhelming tire performance that I won't give them my money. Actually had an old Purgatory Control 2Bliss that had a defect in the tread, went to the shop and they told me to go to spesh customer service, they told me to go to the shop, shop finally replaced after I complained about not wanting to bounce between "mom" and "dad" with the whole "Go ask your XYZ parent". Replacement ended up having another defect from the shop cutting open the box with a razor and damaging the tire (notice it as I was driving home). Shop bitched about replacing it and at that point I figured screw it and just had them refund.

Had a catastrophic tire failure while on a trip and only shop around was a Spesh shop. They were awesome, but same things again. Running tire that they recommend and ripped two knobs off a brand new tire. The shop replaced and called Spesh to report they had "ANOTHER" tire that had done that (overheard while I was browsing around the store). From what I remember, it sounded like Spesh told them "tough *(&^, failures happen." Just can't do it after stuff like that, would rather give my money to smaller brands who produce decent/good/better products at similar or less cost but actually act like their customers matter. Hence why I tend to stay away from Maxxis tires as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Thanks but no... had bad experiences in the past with their customer service, their shops, and genuinely just undewhelming tire performance that I won't give them my money. Actually had an old Purgatory Control 2Bliss that had a defect in the tread, went to the shop and they told me to go to spesh customer service, they told me to go to the shop, shop finally replaced after I complained about not wanting to bounce between "mom" and "dad" with the whole "Go ask your XYZ parent". Replacement ended up having another defect from the shop cutting open the box with a razor and damaging the tire (notice it as I was driving home). Shop bitched about replacing it and at that point I figured screw it and just had them refund.

Had a catastrophic tire failure while on a trip and only shop around was a Spesh shop. They were awesome, but same things again. Running tire that they recommend and ripped two knobs off a brand new tire. The shop replaced and called Spesh to report they had "ANOTHER" tire that had done that (overheard while I was browsing around the store). From what I remember, it sounded like Spesh told them "tough *(&^, failures happen." Just can't do it after stuff like that, would rather give my money to smaller brands who produce decent/good/better products at similar or less cost but actually act like their customers matter. Hence why I tend to stay away from Maxxis tires as well.
    It sounds like you had 1). a bad shop (can happen with any brand) and 2). a bad tire backed up by a bad shop. Rest assured that it's not common for the knobs to come off on these tires, plenty of people run them.

Either way, I'd love to hear of "smaller companies" that care about their customers and produce great tires at lower costs. The only good/small tire company i'm aware of is Terrene and they aren't cheap...

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    It sounds like you had 1). a bad shop (can happen with any brand) and 2). a bad tire backed up by a bad shop. Rest assured that it's not common for the knobs to come off on these tires, plenty of people run them.

Either way, I'd love to hear of "smaller companies" that care about their customers and produce great tires at lower costs. The only good/small tire company i'm aware of is Terrene and they aren't cheap...
    Yeah I guess you are right... Just one of those things that taints a view/image of a certain brand. Couple that with the "bully" image that Spesh has in much of the industry.

As for smaller companies, I guess that is true. My version of "smaller" I guess really means less well-known. I have been a Vittoria fan since I started riding almost 10yrs ago. Their customer service has always been great for me whenever I had questions or issues. Last year I decided to try out the most recent version of the Mezcall III tire and when I got it I found that their 2.35" actually measured closer to 2.2" at widest. When I contacted them, they told me they had a run of tires that the batch was smaller than anticipated. Ended up that they offered me to replace the tire, at no charge, with another Mezcall (but could not guarantee it would not be from a similar batch) or with another one of their tires of my choosing. I asked for another 2.4 Goma and had it within a few days.

And you can normally find their tires through places like BikeTiresDirect, Backcountry, etc. for between $50-$60 for their top line TNT 4C/G+. The Gomas that I get normally last me about two seasons before the knobs are starting to get torn up (in the rear). Front, well, I am still rocking one I purchased in 2016 and it is just starting to show signs of needing replacement. So to say they wear like iron, that is an understatement for the terrain I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No worries, i like to try tires from all the brands too. Unfortunate that Vittoria is getting rid of the Goma!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just bought some 29x2.8 Coronados to try as an alternative to the Maxxis Chronicles I had been riding. They seem a well made tire and look nice with the tan/brown sidewall. They mounted up with no fuss to my WTB Asym and Scraper rims.