Switching non-disc hub with Disc hub -- worth the effort?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Switching non-disc hub with Disc hub -- worth the effort?

Am looking to add disc brake to rear end. I've got a nice set xtr wheels with mavic 517x rims (non-disc). I'm planning on staying with a v-brake up front for right now. Is it a bad idea to simply switch out the rear hub for a disc specific hub? I'm not too keen on dropping $$$ on a new wheelset, when I'm pretty happy with what I've got...
    I've built wheels before, so I'm aware of spoke length issues -- my question is whether the mavic rim (eyelets, etc) will be able to handle the increased braking forces. Bad idea?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The 517 rim is not a good choice for disc brakes. The spoke bed is thin and prone to cracking.

Also if you are going to have just one disc it is better to put it on the front
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What Shiggy says is true, and besides, once you get the new hub and different spokes, the cost of a new rim isn't that great.
    The 517 has a very thin spokebed - riders using them with V's have been cracking them at the nipples, and a disk would stress those areas much more.
    For a budget disk rim that doesn't weigh a ton, I'm a fan of the Velocity Aeroheat. Sure, they have brake tracks, but the spoke bed is fairly thick, and the V-shape adds some strength. I got my last two for $20-$25 each.
    Plus, you could sell your old rear wheel to recover some of the expense (or finance a front disk and wheel).
    Jon

jrm
    mtbr member

So you cant add um to the front?

Quote Originally Posted by greenedoggie
    Am looking to add disc brake to rear end. I've got a nice set xtr wheels with mavic 517x rims (non-disc). I'm planning on staying with a v-brake up front for right now. Is it a bad idea to simply switch out the rear hub for a disc specific hub? I'm not too keen on dropping $$$ on a new wheelset, when I'm pretty happy with what I've got...
    I've built wheels before, so I'm aware of spoke length issues -- my question is whether the mavic rim (eyelets, etc) will be able to handle the increased braking forces. Bad idea?
    Disc brakes are far more effective on the front wheel then on the rear wheel. On the rear all its goign to do is lock up quicker and make the rear end swing all over the place.

Aug 2004
    thanks guys -- I appreciate the input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Disc brakes are far more effective on the front wheel then on the rear wheel. On the rear all its goign to do is lock up quicker and make the rear end swing all over the place.
    Actually disks work great on the rear because they modulate so well (Vs tend to lock up easier no?), but no argument that a front disk is more important power-wise.