Sun O degree vs. Mavic 517 rim....- Mtbr.com
    Keep on Rockin...

Sun O degree vs. Mavic 517 rim....

For my next xc racing rim I'm thining about trying the Sun over the Mavic. Looks like the internal width is a bit wider on the Sun which is nice. Weights are close enough. Price on the Sun is a bit lower.

Can anyone comment on the quality of this rim? How's the strength compared to the 517?

Mike

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Lite or XC? I ran Sun 0*XC rims on my FS bike for 3 years. They stayed round and true, but I did end up cracking the rear (cracked along the brake track). I replaced it w/ another, and about a year later, it also cracked. The cracks were not from slamming rocks, as I rarely pinch-flat. But I do weigh ~200# sans gear. The front held up fine throughout, and others I know who run the 0*XC have had no trouble at all, getting several years from those rims. I've since switched to disc, and am running Velocity Aeroheat rims. My wife runs the 0* Lite rims and has no trouble at all. But she doesn't ride that hard, and weighs ~140#. I have no experience with the Mavics. Hope that helps you a bit,
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    For my next xc racing rim I'm thining about trying the Sun over the Mavic. Looks like the internal width is a bit wider on the Sun which is nice. Weights are close enough. Price on the Sun is a bit lower.

Can anyone comment on the quality of this rim? How's the strength compared to the 517?

Mike

Sep 2004
    I have Sun 0*Lite rims laced to CK hubs with DT rev spokes and they work wonderfully. The build is crazy light and they have held up just fine. However, these are on my very light (approx 19lbs) single speed so it does not see a lot of abuse. If I want to play hard, I ride a different bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good Rim

I was considering both rims when I built up my singlespeed. Several friends of mine had 517s and had a few complaints about them, mainly cracking around eyelets and general durability. I looked up the reviews here and the reviews for the 0 XCs seemed very positive. In addition to that, they were considerably less expensive than the 517s at the time, so I went with them.

I have no major complaints with the Sun rims, I've gotten exactly what I expected out of them: they are fairly lightweight and have held up for the 2 seasons I have put on them ( I weigh about 175 and ride fairly technical trails) with no problems. The one minor complaint I have with them is that they make changing a flat/tires a pain.

mtbr member
    Anybody using Stan's no tube system with Sun 0* rims????