Sun DS2 or Sun Rhyno Lite- Mtbr.com

May 2004

New question here. Sun DS2 or Sun Rhyno Lite

I'm upgrading to disc brakes and am debating which wheelset to get. I've narrowed it down to two: Shimano Deore Disc Hub w/ Sun DS2 rims and Shimano Deore Disc Hub w/ Sun Rhyno Lite rims. I can get both for $89.

Total weight (both wheels together), the DS2 are a pound lighter than the Rhynos. So if i was just going by weight, i'd go with the DS2. However, i was reading the reviews, (which incidentally, give high points for both wheels) which say that the major downside of the DS2 is that it is very difficult to remove a tire from the rim.

So the dilemma is less weight or ease of tire removal? what's your opinion?
    thanks.

Derailleurless
    Seems like an apples and oranges comparison you've got there, or at least comparing Fuji apples to Washington Red.

I've owned a DS1 doing front wheel duties for about four years now, and while it's held up, it's needed a small amount of attention (it was poorly built when I received it and it quickly detensioned on me, but that was no fault of the rim and it's been very well behaved since then). But recently the tire issues presented itself as an even larger thorn in my side when I mounted up an exceptionally tight fitting W.T.B. Mutano. Knuckle-busting tight, fer sure.

The Rhyno is going to give you extra width for better stability under fatter tires, and a lot more abuse resistance.

If you've truely narrowed it down to just these two rims, choose based on your riding style, tire choice and how much abuse you dish out. If you're hard on equipment or a heavy guy, the Rhyno is the clear choice. It's very capable. If you're a more moderate XC guy and have something against the Velocity Aero Heat, the DS2 is the better choice of the two you've identified.
    Last edited by Speedb Nate; 06-09-2004 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Gotta love those J links!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nusbus
    I'm upgrading to disc brakes and am debating which wheelset to get. I've narrowed it down to two: Shimano Deore Disc Hub w/ Sun DS2 rims and Shimano Deore Disc Hub w/ Sun Rhyno Lite rims. I can get both for $89.

Total weight (both wheels together), the DS2 are a pound lighter than the Rhynos. So if i was just going by weight, i'd go with the DS2. However, i was reading the reviews, (which incidentally, give high points for both wheels) which say that the major downside of the DS2 is that it is very difficult to remove a tire from the rim.

thanks.
    Neither rim is easy to mount/remove tires. I am not a fan of Sun rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

We get titles?

Mavic

thanks.
    Not the answer you're looking for, but I've found Mavics to be wonderfully easy to intall and remove tires. Suns seem to be a lot harder.

May 2004

Thank you

Thank you! You made my decision much easier.

Feb 2004
    I don't know if this is after the fact (of your decision), but one thing I like about my Sun DS1-XC rims is that while they are hard to mount tire to, this also makes using Stan's No-Tubes much better.

For one, I can usually inflate the tires with a floor pump, also there is noooo way you will blow the tire's bead of these rims.

I don't think this is the case with all their rims. I've had rhino lites, and just built new wheels using Singletracks, and found that they were tight, but not to the degree that the DS1-XC's are.

BTW - from what I understand the difference between the DS1 & DS2 is that the DS1 are welded and the DS2 are pinned & sleaved.

Unless you are doing drops over 3 ft. I would get the DS2's. I had my rims for 2 years and they worked perfectly (rocky terrain with some small drops).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've got the rhyno's. They are wide, way wider than my old ones. I didn't really notice a problem putting a tire on. Trust me I had some practice doing it on the trail several times in one ride. (darn tires...) But anyway. I'm a larger guy, not quite ideal body weight and I figure if one pound is the deciding factor for me, I'll skip lunch. But I don't race and I like to eat ....

I got my rhyno's for like $80 with lx hubs but not discs....

Jan 2004

Suns are great "value" rims.

thanks.
    I've got both Rynolites and DS2's. Both were bought, as inexpensive built up wheelsets from Jenson. The Rynolites aren't especially light, but they are tough. The DS2s haven't given me a lick of problems despite their low cost.

As far as peoples comments on mounting tires...I haven't experienced anything horrible. Maybe there are easier rims to mount tires on but that isn't something I do that often anyway. Having said that, I played around with 3 or 4 different tires originally, swapping back and forth. I never had any real problems with several brands of tires.