Suggestions for 26" slick/semi-slick tire- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

New question here. Suggestions for 26" slick/semi-slick tire

So the snow is melting, the streets are clear, and I finally got a hole in my schedule to go for a short ride today, the first of the year . The trails are still packed with snow, though, and will be for some time (spring is more or less non-existent here in Newfoundland), so I'll be doing a lot of road riding in the coming weeks. I have a Giant Iguana with 2.1 Weirwolf tires, and I'd really like to try some slick tires for the roads. Does anybody have any suggestions/experience with a particular tire that is nice and fast, but not too puncture prone? Also, I might do a small amount of riding on the old railway trail, which is pretty much straight, flat, and covered in '"fine gravel." Will completely slick tires not be a good idea to take on a trail like that? If so, what suggestions do you have for a semi-slick tire that will not be too bulky and still give lower weight and rolling resistance on pavement? Thanks a lot.

Don't touch me!
    WTB NanoRaptor 1.85. 400ish gram tire. I use it as a rear for normally dry trails and it works pretty well. Can give a harsh ride depending on how fluid you ride, but since your riding is on road, you'll need high pressures anyway. It has a raised center line section that helps it roll fast on flatter surfaces. Rolls nearly as well as my 700c 28mm slicks on my commuter.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    WTB NanoRaptor 1.85...
    Discontinued two years ago.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't touch me!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Discontinued two years ago.
    D'oh!

I believe they still make the Nano in a 2.1. Or Hutchinson TopSlick/Ritchey TomSlick or Kenda Quest/Tioga City Slickers for full on slicks. The last 2 will be a little tougher than the first 2, and heavier, and availible in larger sizes.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

Oct 2004
    In addition to tasty's suggestions, I have had a good experience with IRC metros.

I run them at 90 PSI for my beater commuter, and on the local rail trail (crushed stone). They have held up to quite a bit of abuse: the bike wieghs about 30 pounds, I weigh 175, the kid seat weighs 10-20 pounds, my son weighs 35 pounds, the stuff we carry in the pack has to weigh about 10 pounds. I have not had a problem with them.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    In addition to tasty's suggestions, I have had a good experience with IRC metros.

I run them at 90 PSI for my beater commuter, and on the local rail trail (crushed stone). They have held up to quite a bit of abuse: the bike wieghs about 30 pounds, I weigh 175, the kid seat weighs 10-20 pounds, my son weighs 35 pounds, the stuff we carry in the pack has to weigh about 10 pounds. I have not had a problem with them.
    At 90 PSI I'm assuming that you're running the 1" version of the Metro?

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turdferguson79
    At 90 PSI I'm assuming that you're running the 1" version of the Metro?
    It's the 1.25. 90 PSI is the MAX tire pressure indicated on the sidewall.