mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Substitute for a Shimano TL-FH40?

I'd like to take a shim out of a Shimano freehub body (as described by Zinn and Morningstar) to eliminate some cassette wobble; however, the proper tool, the TL-FH40, is no longer available.

I'm looking for another 2-prong type tool that would fit. Any ideas?
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks, wow. now i really want to find a substitute for that tool. $55.95?
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    its down to 49.99... still sucks, though

surely there's some way to DIY something that'll work...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i found a cheaper solution if anyone cares..
    use a craftsman 1 3/8" drag link socket

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nevermind, craftsman doesnt make one in that size. still looking for one...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You can get an official shimano tl fh-40 on ebay for less than $13.00 shipped... get one before they are all gone.

TL FH-40 on Ebay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that's not it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cjn1014 View Post
    that's not it.
    Sure it is, that's the original one before they came out with tl fh-40, it works on all shimano hyperglide freehubs, for removing the drive side bearing race, to open up the freehub body for servicing, clockwise -> loosen, counterclockwise <- tighten. I have both tools, and the older version is better than the newer version because it fits much tighter into the freehub body. Which keeps one from stripping one of the notches in the bearing race which can easily happen when using the tl fh-40 tool because it doesn't fit as snug into the bearing race notches like the original tool does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fataqui View Post
    Sure it is, that's the original one before they came out with tl fh-40, it works on all shimano hyperglide freehubs, for removing the drive side bearing race, to open up the freehub body for servicing, clockwise -> loosen, counterclockwise <- tighten. I have both tools, and the older version is better than the newer version because it fits much tighter into the freehub body. Which keeps one from stripping one of the notches in the bearing race which can easily happen when using the tl fh-40 tool because it doesn't fit as snug into the bearing race notches like the original tool does.
    I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who would consider making their own tool, this looks good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBk...xlnj2lw03c010c

Members who have read this thread: 7